• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2/17

Jubenhimer

I thought it was pretty good. Don't know why some people expected reveals of big AAA holiday titles when it was explicitly stated that this Direct would mostly focus on games coming in the first half of the year. The first party Fall Line Up will probably be talked about during Spring/Summer.

Mozza

I guess they're still adapting from COVID. You know, Nintendo always late to the party. Their online structure still last gen of all.

Totally agree, they seem to be still finding their feet with all this, and this is of course a lot tougher when it's all your own internal studios probably uses to working together on certain projects, but never give up hope, Nintendo have been shadow dropping quite a bit, so hopefully there will be more stuff.

Mozza

I thought it was pretty good. Don't know why some people expected reveals of big AAA holiday titles when it was explicitly stated that this Direct would mostly focus on games coming in the first half of the year. The first party Fall Line Up will probably be talked about during Spring/Summer.
I get that, and to be honest I feel the main issue is hype here, it''s been over a year since a mainline Nintendo direct, and last year was a little sparse first party wise, people just expected to see Nintendo show stuff they were keeping up their sleeves.

Last edited:
Legend of Mana HD was a pleasant surprise.

So was Triangle Strategy (what a name ugh) though I wonder if it’ll stand shoulder to shoulder with the great of the genre especially in terms of writing. The art direction perfectly fits SRPGs and the mechanics taken from other RPGs can work pretty well in a SRPG. I just find the colors and character designs to lack charm and oomph.

Famicom Detective Club too was unexpected and I look forward to learn more about it.

The rest is meh for the most part. Ports are cool and all but he Switch needs heavy hitters.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
FTKOYEe.png

Jubenhimer

I get that, and to be honest I feel the main issue is hype here, it''s been over a year since a mainline Nintendo direct, and last year was a little sparse first party wise, people just expected to see a lot of stuff because it's been rater quiet.
That's understandable. But If you look at Nintendo's contemporaries, they aren't alone in this. Sony hasn't talked about new games coming to their shiny new PS5 that weren't already announced, and Xbox still has yet to show us anything besides Xbox One Ports and games that are still years away from releasing. Nintendo's biggest games usually arrive in the Fall anyway, so I'm not sure why people expected that to change after more than a decade.

But with all said, this was a pretty stacked Direct, You got Monster Hunter, Famicom Detective Club, Splatoon 3, Skyward Sword HD, Samurai Warriors 5, and a bunch of other games coming. Plus other games coming the first half that weren't talked about like New Pokemon Snap.

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
Ok no spoilers. Ill watch tonight when I get home. Was this a disappointment or was it worth the wait?

Mozza

That's understandable. But If you look at Nintendo's contemporaries, they aren't alone in this. Sony hasn't talked about new games coming to their shiny new PS5 that weren't already announced, and Xbox still has yet to show us anything besides Xbox One Ports and games that are still years away from releasing. Nintendo's biggest games usually arrive in the Fall anyway, so I'm not sure why people expected that to change after more than a decade.

But with all said, this was a pretty stacked Direct, You got Monster Hunter, Famicom Detective Club, Splatoon 3, Skyward Sword HD, Samurai Showdown 5, and a bunch of other games coming. Plus other games coming the first half that weren't talked about like New Pokemon Snap.

Totally agree, and it is far easier in the core marketplace, where you have multiple developers working on a stream of triple AAA games, these can be revealed years before release, but you always have ones ready to come out as more are announced.

Like I said it's not going to affect Switch sales anytime soon and there is still a tonne of content incoming, I would just like to see a little more evidence of Nintendo's first party studios working on things, not expecting miracles, but it does seem like a bare minimum at the moment.

Type_Raver

I'm super hyped for Rise but at this point I'm already sold on the game and put 70+ hours in to the demo, I'm not gonna be upset if we don't get new trailer for Rise in this Direct.
You must've loved the new trailer, it showed off a lot of new areas!

I liked what I saw, especially in the latest trailer, but im just not into Monster Hunter and the Rise demo didnt grab me either.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Ok no spoilers. Ill watch tonight when I get home. Was this a disappointment or was it worth the wait?
Depends on what you are expecting. It's not great or outstanding, but also not complete trash.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You must've loved the new trailer, it showed off a lot of new areas!

I liked what I saw, especially in the latest trailer, but im just not into Monster Hunter and the Rise demo didnt grab me either.
Loved the trailer and really like the new maps and Monster they showed. Happy to see insect type monster return, I hope we get more down the line.

Jeeves

I missed the part about this being for the first half of the year. If the next Direct is as good or better than this I'd say we're in good shape.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Imagine you’ve watching a crack head pull her knickers down in the fruit and veg isle at Walmart. She makes eye contact with you, she lifts her skirt, she squats down like a feral monkey. You hear a gurgle, a rumble. A torrent of hot, steaming, liquid dioareah shit explodes from her arse hole. The splatters reach your brand new white converse, they’re ruined. The stench singes your nostril hairs. The manager then walks over and asks you to pay $59.99 for the privilege. That was this direct.

mcjmetroid

YGRBLd8.jpg

lofaAuu.jpg

2IGqxoh.jpg

What in the world of fuck is going on with those scanlines in the crapcom collection..
Holy shit dudes hahahahahha
I'm never sure why people ever like scanlines in things like MAME etc.

I don't know .. makes the game look shittier I think.

Moomalade74

Banned
Imagine you’ve watching a crack head pull her knickers down in the fruit and veg isle at Walmart. She makes eye contact with you, she lifts her skirt, she squats down like a feral monkey. You hear a gurgle, a rumble. A torrent of hot, steaming, liquid dioareah shit explodes from her arse hole. The splatters reach your brand new white converse, they’re ruined. The stench singes your nostril hairs. The manager then walks over and asks you to pay $59.99 for the privilege. That was this direct.

This is a work of art, Bukowski-esque in fashion.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty bad but I can't be mad as I knew that.

Skyward sword can work because of the joycons, but it's a lot less ergonomic and uncomfortable than the Wii controller. Plus they literally just up res'd it to 1080p with no improvements, so it probably looks worse than the original. To my eyes, they might have messed up graphical effects already like the DOF. What a garbage effort. TP HD is an inferior version all round, but at least they tried to improve the graphics. WWHD being the most successful remaster.

Great to finally get a release date on no more heroes though. The combat looks as it was before, which is great. I'm a bit disappointed it takes the TSA template in its visual style, and there's the death glove thing. I'd rather they have kept the original look, but with more polygons or whatever, but I think it will be a good game and i'm excited for it.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm never sure why people ever like scanlines in things like MAME etc.

I don't know .. makes the game look shittier I think.
Ftc0Vgr.jpg

These scanlines look pretty sick imo

plot twist this is the new 3DS screen and those are basically the real display scanlines.. as the screen is basically close to 240P .. i still think the 3ds display is the best for snes games

Last edited:

Hugare

I sold my Switch 4 days ago, so when the Direct was announced, I said "damn, they are going to be dropping some bombs that will make me regret selling it"

Nope.

Don't give a shit about Splatoon. Was expecting Zelda Collection, we got Zelda SS for $60? Laughable

No BoTW 2 gameplay. No More Heroes 3 seems nice, but the franchise is like 7/10 to me.

Just a bunch of indies and ports of old games.

Some of them are really good (Stubbs and NG), but c'mon, owning a Switch for ports of old games, indies and a good exclusive once per 2 years?

Not sure about skyward being 60fps, seems a bit out of character for Nintendo to take a port and change the fps. But to my eyes on the stream, it was 60.

EDIT : and there you go, it's 60.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

TGDrThX.jpg

Hahahahaaha fuck me capcom what the hell are you guys doing
If it's an consolation I don't think any of the game looks good.

I like the idea of co-op but I'm not liking the way Arthur moves. I think the one on PSP Ultimate had a better art style but.. I hope I'm wrong.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Are you all srsly that mad at Nintendo? I think the Direct was just ok... What's wrong with it? There are some cool stuff that cought my attention like Mario Tenis, that Famicon Detective VN, Skyward Sword (I've been waiting SO LONG for it to be re-released, don't care enough about BOTW2 yet), Splatoon 3, NMH3... Those are some I will most probably buy after I'm done with my already acumulated Switch backlog...

Rudius

So Nintendo going straight to Skyward Sword.
No Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, OOT or Majoras mask? All which have had ports on the Wii U and 3DS.....
Nintendo so weird
For some reason I thought the Switch was backwards compatible with digital WiiU games... I obviously don't have one.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I have no interest in Skyward Sword, and not because of motion controls. The game content itself just wasn't that interesting to me. I prefer Phantom Hourglass over it, just to give you an idea of how I really feel.

Sgt.Asher

Pleasantly surprised about stubbs the zombie. I was sure that was stuck in IP purgatory.
Strangely not excited about splatoon 3 yet, i need more gameplay. Just please get rid of the fucking forced intro.

Top Bottom