• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2/17

H-I-M

1612181352-souiche.jpg

Don't forget the full 60 dollars price tag because...Nintendo Tax.

MagnesG

Banned
Lol retarded.

I didn't say there was no content, I said there was no good new content for the majority of people, both avid gamers and casuals and your list didn't refute that, it actually supported it.
I don't have time to come out with lists that need to cater to YOUR NEEDS lol. Who are these majority of people btw? GAF lurkers? Because GAF have always been wrong about Nintendo.

I'm pretty much invested with the Switch and I've already got some massive backlog, with the new Direct I've got at least 6-7 more games I'm targeting.

This is the real situation here unlike PS5 and Series X players who are struggling to get down the consoles. Miles Morales for example got 400% upmarked sales in UK but in still ranges around thousands lol.

I'll just stay on the Switch lane and occasional PC happily, like millions others.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
We had a new trailer for SMTV and the devs behind Etrian Odyssey stated a number of times they are making a new game for Switch.

Rumors have existed for a Switch Pro literally the day after the Switch released.

What do you mean, "how"? Do you literally not believe the teams behind the creation of the games?

In a couple weeks the switch will be 4 years old.

Four years without Etrian, four years without SMT, four years without new PW.

Why are you defending this?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
In a couple weeks the switch will be 4 years old.

Four years without Etrian, four years without SMT, four years without new PW.

Why are you defending this?

Because it isn't that big of an issue? I would rather wait 5 years for a great game than 1-3 years for a mediocre one. Both are confirmed to be in development, one of which literally just had a large new trailer. You asked "they are being made... how?" as if you are questioning that they are even in development. They are. Be patient.

Ace Attorney had a new game a little over 3 years ago, albeit it was Japan only (like the last new game before it). The reason why we haven't had any new games in the west is not because the developers aren't making them, but because there are issues with copy right and the Sherlock Holmes stories that the developers took inspiration from. Blame the assholes who have been preventing them from proper releases, not Nintendo or Capcom.

H-I-M

I don't have time to come out with lists that need to cater to YOUR NEEDS lol. Who are these majority of people btw? GAF lurkers? Because GAF have always been wrong about Nintendo.

Expecting Nintendo to release AAA flagship franchises every month is unrealistic. Showcasing smaller titles is not an issue, there have to be games for everyone.

BUT, Nintendo barely did any effort last year, heavily relied on ONE game (AC) to carry the console, hadn't done a Direct since 2019 and this is what they came back with ?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Because it isn't that big of an issue? I would rather wait 5 years for a great game than 1-3 years for a mediocre one. Both are confirmed to be in development, one of which literally just had a large new trailer. You asked "they are being made... how?" as if you are questioning that they are even in development. They are. Be patient.

Ace Attorney had a new game a little over 3 years ago, albeit it was Japan only (like the last new game before it). The reason why we haven't had any new games in the west is not because the developers aren't making them, but because there are issues with copy right and the Sherlock Holmes stories that the developers took inspiration from. Blame the assholes who have been preventing them from proper releases, not Nintendo or Capcom.

4 years of development and all we have is a cgi trailer for smt5 and... nothing for etrian.

As for pw the whole sherlock holmes lawsuits are a smoke screen. Sherlock Holmes IP already has judicial precedent and what's outside public domain is peanuts.

Lol console warrior.

That list was terrible. Project diva what? Shinekieh? What's that? Aokana? Again what's that trash? Hardly a game anyone in the west gives a crap about.

I'm on gaf everyday and have never heard of these games.

Pokémon dungeon and story of seasons? Lol come on dude. That list of games is horrible for the vast majority of people, avid gamers and casuals alike.
You have to like anime trash to know what they are.

MagnesG

Banned
Expecting Nintendo to release AAA flagship franchises every month is unrealistic. Showcasing smaller titles is not an issue, there have to be games for everyone.

BUT, Nintendo barely did any effort last year, heavily relied on ONE game (AC) to carry the console, hadn't done a Direct since 2019 and this is what they came back with ?
They had done minis and such. It's always have been like that.

Why are you so disappointed if you're not invested in the first place? Your expectations...
That barren of last year 2020 covid is still the year where I bought plenty, at least 10 releases that I have played. This year is infinitely better already I'm not even sure I could have the time trying them all.

TriSuit666

Banned

I'm pretty much invested with the Switch and I've already got some massive backlog, with the new Direct I've got at least 6-7 more games I'm targeting.

This is the real situation here unlike PS5 and Series X players who are struggling to get down the consoles. Miles Morales for example got 400% upmarked sales in UK but in still ranges around thousands lol.

I'll just stay on the Switch lane and occasional PC happily, like millions others.
I dunno, outside of first party, I always bag the PC version where possible, knowing the Switch version likely to be gimped in some way.

That Capcom Arcade thing has pissed me off, reselling the same crap they did on the 360 and PS3 and then charging top doller just for Ghosts 'n' Goblins on its own. Please.

And them coming out and blagging it 'oh, we know you're only here for BOTW2, but we don't have anything... have a remaster of a Wii-U port instead'. GTFO.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Skyward Sword was a nice surprise and that Octopath-style strategy RPG could be interesting but otherwise that was an undewhelming Direct (for me).

MagnesG

Banned
I dunno, outside of first party, I always bag the PC version where possible, knowing the Switch version likely to be gimped in some way.

That Capcom Arcade thing has pissed me off, reselling the same crap they did on the 360 and PS3 and then charging top doller just for Ghosts 'n' Goblins on its own. Please.

And them coming out and blagging it 'oh, we know you're only here for BOTW2, but we don't have anything... have a 2D remaster of a Wii-U port instead'. GTFO.
what do you mean by 2d remaster.

I guess you could say I'm one of the hardcore portable players who wouldn't bat an eye much for anything unless it's portable. Even my style of games are more on portable series, and I'm sure there are millions other like me coming off from 3DS era. Them focusing on Japanese games that apparently some people couldn't help being triggered would only help my cause.

H-I-M

They had done minis and such. It's always have been like that.

Why are you so disappointed if you're not invested in the first place? Your expectations...
That barren of last year 2020 covid is still the year where I bought plenty, at least 10 releases that I have played. This year is infinitely better already I'm not even sure I could have the time trying them all.

But this wasn't a mini direct tho. It felt like one, I'll give you that, but it wasn't.

And let's be honest, there's nothing exciting about a 10 years old Zelda game being ported for 60 dollars. Or Hades' physical release. Or Mario Golf (one of the least successful Mario franchise).

Let's just agree to disagree, clearly to you this was a great big Nintendo direct full of exciting announcements.

Aldric

I don't have time to come out with lists that need to cater to YOUR NEEDS lol.
What kind of an argument is that? I think I have pretty broad taste in Nintendo franchises and there was almost nothing for me in that nearly hour long presentation, and I'm obviously not the only one in that case. Frankly it's baffling how you'll always find people like you willing to defend Nintendo even when they're blatantly coasting on the Switch's mainstream success. One Mario sport spinoff title as the sole new first party game for the entire first half of 2021 is unnacceptable, as well as the prospect of them now recycling the 3DS library after milking the Wii U dry.

What the hell happend to consolidating their development teams? Remove the ports and they're now producing significantly less software than when they had to develop for two distinct hardware. Switch is the biggest disappointment I've had as a Nintendo fan and I was there for the Wii era. What a waste.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
But this wasn't a mini direct tho. It felt like one, I'll give you that, but it wasn't.

And let's be honest, there's nothing exciting about a 10 years old Zelda game being ported for 60 dollars. Or Hades' physical release. Or Mario Golf (one of the least successful Mario franchise).

Let's just agree to disagree, clearly to you this was a great big Nintendo direct full of exciting announcements.
I've been disappointed plenty by past Direct, minis one game Direct. It's not even that great this time.
Take it like this, I could see people being disappointed for one Direct or two, but if they would get triggered, offended by every Direct that comes that's just trolling at that point.

Or for some if they're only expecting big games like BOTW2 every time, just watch these Directs every 5-6 years then. Don't expect the impossible and kept being disappointed. So ridiculous.

TriSuit666

Banned
what do you mean by 2d remaster.

I guess you could say I'm one of the hardcore portable players who wouldn't bat an eye much for anything unless it's portable. Even my style of games are more on portable series, and I'm sure there are millions other like me coming off from 3DS era. Them focusing on Japanese games that apparently some people couldn't help being triggered would only help my cause.
Sorry, that was my fuckup.

MagnesG

Banned
What kind of an argument is that? I think I have pretty broad taste in Nintendo franchises and there was almost nothing for me in that nearly hour long presentation, and I'm obviously not the only one in that case. Frankly it's baffling how you'll always find people like you willing to defend Nintendo even when they're blatantly coasting on the Switch's mainstream success. One Mario sport spinoff title as the sole new first party game for the entire first half of 2021 is unnacceptable, as well as the prospect of them now recycling the 3DS library after milking the Wii U dry.

What the hell happend to consolidating their development teams? Remove the ports and they're now producing significantly less software than when they had to develop for two distinct hardware. Switch is the biggest disappointment I've had as a Nintendo fan and I was there for the Wii era. What a waste.
Wow. Maybe try producing those game yourself? How many new notable AA releases from Nintendo EPD would you expect them to deliver every 6 months?
People like to talk about how it's easy to produce these kiddy games solidly lol. Try developing a coherent gameplay design and releasing it constantly, barring the windows dressing that everyone could do with training. It's not gonna work just by purchasing game devs left and right lol. Luigi's Mansion is a rare blessing where a western dev could successfully assimilate Nintendo flair into their work.

My current backlog until June:

Persona 5 Strikers - February 23
Bravely Default II - February 26
Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town - March 23
Monster Hunter Rise - March 26
New Pokemon Snap - April 30

Just announced
Famicom Detective - May
World's End - May
Mario Golf - June

I'm packed already, and I'm pretty sure I missed 2-3 more games, and games with just 2021 as their placeholder (Rune Factory 5, SMT 5, etc.).

Last edited:
Looks like they've just stopped investing money to grow their studios

Highlight of the show for me from them was No More Heroes 3 and they announced that two years ago.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Only Nintendo can get away with going 15 months without a Direct, come back with one full of filler nonsense that most people don't care about, and still have people defending them.

It hasn't been 15 months without a Direct, nor was this one "full of filler nonsense that most people don't care about". Be honest with yourself and just state it straight: "there wasn't anything *I* was interested in". Not sure why so many folks are triggered that they may have thought the direct was good or the games shown were interesting.

Last edited:
It hasn't been 15 months without a Direct, nor was this one "full of filler nonsense that most people don't care about". Be honest with yourself and just state it straight: "there wasn't anything *I* was interested in". Not sure why so many folks are triggered that they may have thought the direct was good or the games shown were interesting.
The two best things, Project triangle and Splatoon 3 are 2022. What do we have for this year? Another overpriced port from the Wii that barely looks better than it did, a 3DS port that no one asked for that costs more than it did back when it came out, a bunch of third party crap no one wants like PvZ battle for neighborville, that f2p Star Wars mobile game, the f2p EA game that will die as quickly as Rocket Arena did etc. Oh and a Mario Golf game that we don't even know will be worth the price after how Mario Tennis Aces turned out. Yeah such a great Direct. Nintendo had 2 really good years with the Switch and they've been coasting ever since.

HotPocket69

Banned
The two best things, Project triangle and Splatoon 3 are 2022. What do we have for this year? Another overpriced port from the Wii that barely looks better than it did, a 3DS port that no one asked for that costs more than it did back when it came out, a bunch of third party crap no one wants like PvZ battle for neighborville, that f2p Star Wars mobile game, the f2p EA game that will die as quickly as Rocket Arena did etc. Oh and a Mario Golf game that we don't even know will be worth the price after how Mario Tennis Aces turned out. Yeah such a great Direct. Nintendo had 2 really good years with the Switch and they've been coasting ever since.

Back Against The Wall Nintendo is my favorite Nintendo. That’s when you get two AAA heavy hitters in a year like BOTW and Odyssey.

Successful Nintendo fucking blows.

Back Against The Wall Nintendo is my favorite Nintendo. That’s when you get two AAA heavy hitters in a year like BOTW and Odyssey.

Successful Nintendo fucking blows.
Yup when Nintendo starts doing well this is what happens. These last two years have been like the drought years with the Wii U. I liked Animal Crossing but there was barely anything else last year. Now I'm sitting here looking at the first half of this year STILL not seeing nothing compelling. I suppose there is probably a Pokemon game coming this Holiday but if the only other thing they end up with is more Zelda ports for $60 they can shove it.

I'd like to be playing new Nintendo games on Switch instead of wasting time here but there's fuck all until 2022.
There is plenty of new Nintendo games didn't you hear? You got Skyward Sword, Miitopia, probably Wind Waker and Twilight Princess later this year. And that's coming off getting Mario 3D World, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario 64, and New Super Mario Bros Deluxe. So many new Nintendo games you must be crazy.

Yup when Nintendo starts doing well this is what happens. These last two years have been like the drought years with the Wii U. I liked Animal Crossing but there was barely anything else last year. Now I'm sitting here looking at the first half of this year STILL not seeing nothing compelling. I suppose there is probably a Pokemon game coming this Holiday but if the only other thing they end up with is more Zelda ports for $60 they can shove it.

You'll get Pokemon Unite for the holidays and you'll enjoy it

Aldric

There is plenty of new Nintendo games didn't you hear? You got Skyward Sword, Miitopia, probably Wind Waker and Twilight Princess later this year. And that's coming off getting Mario 3D World, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Super Mario Galaxy, Mario 64, and New Super Mario Bros Deluxe. So many new Nintendo games you must be crazy.
We're so lucky Nintenbros. Don't forget the upcoming Pokemon remakes too!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Surely you must be familiar with the consoomer meme?

Yes, and I am more well aware of console warring kiddies.

In your opinion. While I am excited for Project Triangle and Splatoon 3, they weren't the highlights of the direct for me.

I am hyped for Pyra/Mythra in Smash.
I can't wait to play some Monster Hunter Rise which looks even better than Ultimate and World from a gameplay perspective.
Famicom Detective Club came out of nowhere and I can't wait to dive into those titles.
Legend of Mana is a classic and I can't wait to replay it and listen to its new soundtrack.
Saga frontier is returning with new content and is a great entry point for players interested in the franchise.
No More Heroes 3 is... well no more heroes 3 and I loved the first two games, moderately enjoyed Travis Strikes Back.
Worlds End Club looks like a fun and interesting romp.
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on the go is hype.

DLC for Age of Calamity is fantastic to see as was Animal Crossing items (as I have still been playing that as it is such a fantastic chill out game inbetween sessions on my PC and PS5), and I can't wait to buy the physical version of Hades as that was one of the best games released last year and I want to actually own it and not rent a digital version.

I don't think this was the best direct, but it certainly wasn't a massive turd like the console warring kiddies around here keep suggesting. Plenty of games that interest me are getting released/re-released, many of which I haven't seen in a number of decades (Legend of Mana sells for 60 dollars average and Saga Frontier for 100-250 for a complete copy).

I have had a consistently great time with my Switch, as I did with my PS4. I don't get this claim of "Coasting" when they have been routinely releasing great games, unless you only look at strictly the first party releases from Nintendo in which case... the hell are you doing? A console is more than its first party.

Last edited:
Yes, and I am more well aware of console warring kiddies.

In your opinion. While I am excited for Project Triangle and Splatoon 3, they weren't the highlights of the direct for me.

I am hyped for Pyra/Mythra in Smash.
I can't wait to play some Monster Hunter Rise which looks even better than Ultimate and World from a gameplay perspective.
Famicom Detective Club came out of nowhere and I can't wait to dive into those titles.
Legend of Mana is a classic and I can't wait to replay it and listen to its new soundtrack.
Saga frontier is returning with new content and is a great entry point for players interested in the franchise.
No More Heroes 3 is... well no more heroes 3 and I loved the first two games, moderately enjoyed Travis Strikes Back.
Worlds End Club looks like a fun and interesting romp.
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on the go is hype.

DLC for Age of Calamity is fantastic to see as was Animal Crossing items (as I have still been playing that as it is such a fantastic chill out game inbetween sessions on my PC and PS5), and I can't wait to buy the physical version of Hades as that was one of the best games released last year and I want to actually own it and not rent a digital version.

I don't think this was the best direct, but it certainly wasn't a massive turd like the console warring kiddies around here keep suggesting. Plenty of games that interest me are getting released/re-released, many of which I haven't seen in a number of decades (Legend of Mana sells for 60 dollars average and Saga Frontier for 100-250 for a complete copy).

I have had a consistently great time with my Switch, as I did with my PS4. I don't get this claim of "Coasting" when they have been routinely releasing great games, unless you only look at strictly the first party releases from Nintendo in which case... the hell are you doing? A console is more than its first party.
Last year wasn't full of "great games." They had Animal Crossing and then had an OK Paper Mario game and Hyrule Warriors neither of which is appealing to a LOT of their fans. Other than that more ports. Some of us played these games already and don't want to play them again especially for $60. If you're going to go from September 2019 to now without a major Direct then you should come back with at least a couple banger first party titles. I don't even think Splatoon 3 is that. Mario Kart 9 would've been a banger. You know because there hasn't been one since 2013 which was 8 years ago now. I didn't need another Splatoon so soon. Where is the next mainline Mario? Where is anything Metroid which has an anniversary this year? Where the heck is Bayonetta 3? You can say what you want but compared to the first 2 years of the Switch 2020 and 2021 were poor/looking poor in comparison.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A release date for SMT III would have been nice. Isn't it releasing before summer?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is when people expect 2 AAA heavy hitters each and every year to release alongside 10 AA games. No one of the big three does that.

The problem is when people expect 2 AAA heavy hitters each and every year to release alongside 10 AA games. No one of the big three does that.
I don't expect it every year. But it's been 2 years now. There is no good reason why we don't have a new Mario Kart. The only one on the Switch was a port not even an official new entry. It's been 8 years. That team could've had one ready but we know that Nintendo isn't doing it because of greed. MK8 sells so well they just say "Well we don't need to give them a new one." That's their problem

Sony has been managing to release two AAA heavy hitters a year for the last couple of years

I believe Microsoft will be capable of that as well once they've hit their tide with studio aquistions.

It's all about investment and between the three of them Nintendo is making the most profit but not reinvesting it back into themselves.

Sony has been managing to release two AAA heavy hitters a year for the last couple of years

I believe Microsoft will be capable of that as well once they've hit their tide with studio aquistions.

It's all about investment and between the three of them Nintendo is making the most profit but not reinvesting it back into themselves.
Two seems low for PlayStation.

2020 they had
Dreams
The Last of Us Part 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Spider-man Miles Morales
Demon's Souls (first-party IP, with second-party developer)
MLB The Show 20
Sackboy A Big Adventure

Two seems low for PlayStation.

2020 they had
Dreams
The Last of Us Part 2
Ghost of Tsushima
Spider-man Miles Morales
Demon's Souls (first-party IP, with second-party developer)
MLB The Show 20
Sackboy A Big Adventure

Yeah I was just giving it a minimum

2020 was by far their best year ever in terms of first party output, and they're certainly not slowing down for this year either.

Top Bottom