• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct 2/17

And if the leaks are true about Wind Waker, Twilight Princess also getting released in 2021, pretty sure Nintendo isn't releasing Breath of the wild this year.
Pretty sure those hopes were squashed yesterday too. The rumor (hope) was for a Zelda Collection of Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Instead, we are just getting the worst one, by itself, for $60.

I know I’m not the target audience for this, but pretty disappointing anyway.

Where is Bayonetta 3? Where is Monolith Soft?

Pyra in Smash is lame. Not only because I hate her and the shit game she was form, but surely there are more iconic gaming characters to pull from?

SW5 and Ninja Gaiden are cool, but I sure am not going to play them on the Switch. Even with Nintendo money, Koei can’t get something like Age of Calamity to run. Its fun, but still runs like crap. I don’t expect SW5 to be better.

Splatoon 3 is cool I guess, but I’ll be honest I liked 1 on the Wii U over the 2nd game.

No More Heroes is of course a game I’m there for day one and the type of stuff I have A Switch for. Same for Triangle SRPG. Looks neat and in general Square’s support of the Switch is good.

Honestly, just not enough things for my taste. I don’t give a shit about Mario, Zelda, or most Nintendo series. I only have a Switch for the offbeat exclusives and I’ve been waiting for a good Monolith rpg and Bayonetta. I think it’s pathetic it and MP4 hasn’t been shown by now.

Also why the fuck would anyone make a sequel to Caligula Effect? Shit was garbage and the new one doesn’t look any better.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Pretty sure those hopes were squashed yesterday too. The rumor (hope) was for a Zelda Collection of Windwaker, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Instead, we are just getting the worst one, by itself, for $60.

Yea, thats garbage. I mean collection similar to Mario 35th anniversary is the way to go IMHO. These games dont have hardly any work done to them, and from what I'm hearing are pretty close to what they look like through the emulators like Dolphin. But even dolphin has tons of graphic options to make them look 10x better than original. Skyward sword looks....ok.

It really does feel like Nintendo was not prepared this gen for the demand of their system. Which in the beginning year or so is a good thing, it keeps demand high and there would encourage large re-investment of profits to expand online, and studio offerings.

I find it weird 3DS developers and console developers are under one roof now and they still can't do more than 1 or 2 new games every year. If you cant do it, then shell the money and get some more large third party developed games on your system while you beef up internal studios.

Charging $60 for a port is seriously the thing that turns me off about this. It's one thing if it's $60 for the collection. It's another to have this title at $60 with no added content or features. I mean mass effect trilogy doesn't have a lot going on. But it is all the games plus all the DLC in package.

To me this is worse than $70 games.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine thinking souls games are high-budget AAA productions.
Sorry Captain Toad Captain Toad , you may think this is funny, but you are completely off the mark. Demon Souls Remake is probably the only game in the whole franchise with a budget of approx. 30 million, and it's not even developed by From Software.

Souls games were never considered AAA until the gameplay became influential. The exact numbers are unknown, but looking at this realistically the budget for Demon Souls (original) was most likely <10 million (the average AAA game has a budget of 30 million), while Dark Souls 1 and 2 were about 15-20 Million being generous. Doesn't make them bad games at all, that's not up to discussion, but they are certainly not AAA especially compared to games like GTA V or Uncharted.

Can the budget go lower? Of course it can, proven by the amount of souls alike games on steam. Point is, the games do fit perfectly into the AA market and prove that gameplay heavy games can still succeed in an oversaturated market full of boring walking sims and soulless cinematic experiences.

Kataploom

Gold Member
  • Horizon: Forbidden West
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Demon's Souls
  • Returnal
  • Astro's Playroom
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Resident Evil: Village
  • Project Athia
  • Pragmata
  • Hitman 3
  • Deathloop
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Stray

I can honestly say that, for me, that event was thrash because I don't cared about any of those games except for (maybe) Kena... See how it works?

And I'm saying honestly because that was my honest perception about anything PS is publishing these days, but for you and a lot other it for sure isn't thrash because you see value on it.

Well, it's the same for many of us regarding the Nintendo Direct.

I can honestly say that, for me, that event was thrash because I don't cared about any of those games except for (maybe) Kena... See how it works?

... you and a lot other it for sure isn't thrash because you see value on it.

One man's thrash is another man's threasure.

Last edited:
Yes, now at the very end of the console generation. Need I remind you about 2013-2015?
2013? You mean the year we got The Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Beyond Two Souls, Killzone Shadow Fall, Gran Turismo 6, Puppeteer, Ratchet: Into the Nexus, MLB The Show, and more. Yeah that year wasn't slow lmao. 2015 might not have had a ton but it gave us Bloodborne which is one of the best games of all time. It was also a solid year other wise with The Order, Until Dawn, Uncharted Collection, GOW 3 Remastered, Helldivers, Tearaway Unfolded, Alienation, and Fat Princess Adventures. That's pretty much as good a lineup as Nintendo has had in the past two years that's for sure

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member

And I'm saying honestly because that was my honest perception about anything PS is publishing these days, but for you and a lot other it for sure isn't thrash because you see value on it.

Well, it's the same for many of us regarding the Nintendo Direct.
Well, here's the difference: when I talk about these events I don't do it from my own personal perspective because if that were the case I'd say "meh, Mario Golf, I don't care" when objectively speaking the game was a notable announcement for the Direct. One could also not care about Splatoon 3 for instance, but it is undeniable that it is a heavy hitter for the Switch lineup.

Now, looking at things this way, of course that many of the free to plays, ports and niche Japanese games from the Direct clearly seem out of place for these kind of presentations as they kill the pace of the overall show.

I imagine that the Direct could've been way more positively received if it was just the big announcements with no filler content:
  • Pyra and Mythra join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (March 2021)
  • Fall Guys (Summer 2021)
  • Outer Wilds (Summer 2021)
  • Famicom Detective Club (May 14th)
  • Legend of Mana (June 24th)
  • Monster Hunter Rise (March 26th)
  • Mario Golf: Super Rush (June 25th)
  • No More Heroes 3 (August 27th)
  • Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville (March 29th)
  • Animal Crossing x Super Mario update (February 25th)
  • Project Triangle Strategy (2022) & demo available today
  • Ninja Gaiden: Master Collection (June 10th)
  • Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity expansion pass (2021)
  • Bravely Default II (February 26th)
  • Apex Legends (March 9th)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (July 16th)
  • Splatoon 3 (2022)
That would've been a great 30 minutes presentation.

Last edited:
Well, here's the difference: when I talk about these events I don't do it from my own personal perspective because if that were the case I'd say "meh, Mario Golf, I don't care" when objectively speaking the game was a notable announcement for the Direct. One could also not care about Splatoon 3 for instance, but it is undeniable that it is a heavy hitter for the Switch lineup.

Now, looking at things this way, of course that many of the free to plays, ports and niche Japanese games from the Direct clearly seem out of place for these kind of presentations as they kill the pace of the overall show.

I imagine that the Direct could've been way more positively received if it was just the big announcements with no filler content:
  • Splatoon 3 (2022)
Honestly you should've taken PvZ out of that lineup too. That game is two years old almost and no one hardly plays it. Not to mention it looks far worse on the Switch.

Kataploom

Gold Member

• Splatoon 3 (2022)
So the event was worse because they showed more games? Sorry, I just can't get why people can't just ignore the things they don't like and move on to the ones they like... It's not like I liked everything, I'm just focusing on the things I wanted and the ones I didn't know I'd like, the rest can be released and I won't even notice it

Imagine thinking souls games are high-budget AAA productions.
Sorry Captain Toad Captain Toad , you may think this is funny, but you are completely off the mark. Demon Souls Remake is probably the only game in the whole franchise with a budget of approx. 30 million, and it's not even developed by From Software.

Souls games were never considered AAA until the gameplay became influential. The exact numbers are unknown, but looking at this realistically the budget for Demon Souls (original) was most likely <10 million (the average AAA game has a budget of 30 million), while Dark Souls 1 and 2 were about 15-20 Million being generous. Doesn't make them bad games at all, that's not up to discussion, but they are certainly not AAA especially compared to games like GTA V or Uncharted.

Can the budget go lower? Of course it can, proven by the amount of souls alike games on steam. Point is, the games do fit perfectly into the AA market and prove that gameplay heavy games can still succeed in an oversaturated market full of boring walking sims and soulless cinematic experiences.
Souls is definitely not what I would call high production lol. Plenty of Nintendo heavy hitters on the other hand though. Souls has been straight jank until bluepoint.

jaysius

Banned
But this guy basically hates JRPGs, so what people who do like JRPGs like Bravely Default 2 and Triangle Strategy?
An entire video of why you should be let down by this shit show, and you pick the 2 games that are JRPGs, he's not even very down on Triangle Strategy.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
An entire video of why you should be let down by this shit show, and you pick the 2 games that are JRPGs, he's not even very down on Triangle Strategy.
Well he hates on Pyra because he hates XC2, same with Bravely Default and he does the same Triangle Strategy because he just doesn’t care for JRPGs. This is guy who thinks he needs to grind for DQXI in default difficulty.

Dunkey Direct (2.18.2021) - YouTube

Says it best, if this was any other company they wouldn't be able to recover from this bullshit, but because of it's frothing from all orfices fans it'll be just fine.
The direct was shit but dunkey's hate for JRPGs and anime ruin this video for me. It's an old worn out shtick of his that I never cared for. BD2 and Triangle Strategy were probably the best things shown... which are both by SE... what is Nintendo even doing???

Perrott

Gold Member
So the event was worse because they showed more games? Sorry, I just can't get why people can't just ignore the things they don't like and move on to the ones they like... It's not like I liked everything, I'm just focusing on the things I wanted and the ones I didn't know I'd like, the rest can be released and I won't even notice it
Yes, because those other games they showed are not the type of games you should showcase at these sort of events.

You know, there's a reason why the general consensus is that the PC Gaming Show sucks regardless of the three or four interesting announcements they have every year: because there's too much filler and trash in there.
Honestly you should've taken PvZ out of that lineup too. That game is two years old almost and no one hardly plays it. Not to mention it looks far worse on the Switch.
I would've taken it out, but I assume PVZ it's the price Nintendo "had to pay" for having Apex Legends, a much more successful title, in there as well.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Hmm, that was rather dissapointing.

If this was 2018, and this was just a normal Direct, it would have been fine. A few surprise announcements, some ports, some DLC. Not a whole lot that is of interest to me personally, but you know, it was fine for what is was. Mario Golf, the Triangle game and Splatoon 3 were all nice surprises.

However, as the first Direct in 18 months I expected more. There was a lot of stuff shown that you can play on your Switch, but nothing that makes you wanna go out and buy one. Nintendo should've known this direct would mainly be watched by the hardcore fans who wanted confirmations about Bayonetta, Metroid and Zelda. instead they announced fluff to keep us busy while waiting on those games, without giving any confirmation.

Anyways, I still have plenty of stuff to play for the year, and Bravely Default 2 is by far my most anticipated game of the past 2 years or so, but yeah, this direct was underwhelming for fans, no doubt about it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've played Triangle Strategy, it's a little hard but really funny.
tumblr_m99656yNgJ1qhhxd4o1_250.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dunkey Direct (2.18.2021) - YouTube

Says it best, if this was any other company they wouldn't be able to recover from this bullshit, but because of it's frothing from all orfices fans it'll be just fine.

Dunkey is an unfunny twat and doesn't prove any point you are trying to make. In fact, it just makes you come across as more of a bitter console warrior.

Plenty of folks genuinely liked the direct and its announcements. You didn't. Doesn't make either party wrong in their thoughts, but claiming it is "frothing from all orfices fans" just shows your ignorance and bias.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The Last of Us, God of War Ascension, Beyond Two Souls, Killzone Shadow Fall, Gran Turismo 6, Puppeteer, Ratchet: Into the Nexus, MLB The Show, and more
Killzone Shadow Fall is trash. Grand Turismo 6 is often regarded as the worst in the franchise, the same goes for God of War Ascension, Puppeteer is not AAA. Not to mention, Into the Nexus and Beyond were much worse received than their predecessors (A Crack in Time, Heavy Rain) as well.

Also, I was talking about PS4, not PS3. Get a grip.

The Order, LMFAO Until Dawn, Uncharted Collection, GOW 3 Remastered, Helldivers, Tearaway Unfolded, Alienation, and Fat Princess Adventures.
Wait, so rehashes, remakes, and remasters are fine when Sony does them?

Either way, you are still missing the point that drought happens to each of the big three.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papacheeks

Banned
Killzone Shadow Fall is trash. Grand Turismo 6 is often regarded as the worst in the franchise, the same goes for God of War Ascension, Puppeteer is not AAA. Not to mention, Into the Nexus and Beyond were much worse received than their predecessors (A Crack in Time, Heavy Rain) as well.

Either way, you are still missing the point that drought happens to each of the big three.

I would have to agree with you. First couple years for PS4 were light on first party content. But they also had a lot of third party content to hold people over. I think the bigger issue with Nintendo is these droughts seem to happen more often. For sony they had just released a shit ton of first party content the same year they launched a new console in 2013. So it was going to take some time to get teams working on new hardware let alone release a game 2 years after releasing something already.

Nintendo has this issue of always being front loaded. The switch's first year was super loaded with games. But alot of those had started out as Wii U projects, or were wii U titles that Nintendo went back revamped, and added extra content.
So their first 12 months was pretty stacked, and then 2018 rolled around and really nothing big happened until much later that year you had pokemon,smash. Same with 2019 as well some smaller titles, and one or 2 big games.

2020 had literally one big release in Animal crossing. And now it looks like their biggest release this year will be Mario Golf, unless there's something else big for end of the year. Nintendo just doesn't have the amount of teams/studios required to supply demand.
3DS they had a lot of exclusive third party support, and it's not like games took very long to make on that system since hardware wise the games were not technical show pieces.
Now they have a system that is too under powered for third party's but also powerful enough that they have to custom tailed their engine/game projects to run properly on the system when it's on battery.

I mean if people are happy with Nintendo output, then I guess Nintendo is doing it's job. But if they want more big third party games like fortnite to continue then they need better hardware, better quality of life improvements.
I think the issue is a lot of us older Nintendo fans, are wishing for that more return to Nintendo being a more heavy hitter with bigger larger scope games. ANd with the switch there's a limit to that scope.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is GAF, just look at GAF history for anything Nintendo related.
It's not just GAF, its long term Nintendo fans who have been bitching about Nintendo's output on the internet since the N64. Nintendo has a cadence that works for them. They release a few larger titles a year and watch them sell at launch price for the life of the system. They also slide in some smaller games that do well. They have done this so long that they now have added low effort remasters to the mix which are really great for the kids who were in diapers when they first released, but feels kind of lame to those who bought the originals. The Switch, like the WiiU and Wii before that and GameCube before that, and N64 before that is only supported by Nintendo at a level that makes it a secondary platform to me and I am sure others feel similar. What makes it worse is that it was supposed to get more stuff since it is the only platform Nintendo has to support being a hybrid. Its weird. As a customer, I feel like Nintendo should invest more of their profits back into content output, but as an armchair strategist I can't make a solid argument for that, especially given how poor the WiiU did. If they went nuts and built larger teams to crank out 50% more games they could have to scale back it the Switch-ertoo or whatever they call it does not enjoy the same level of success as the Switch. Downsizing costs more than just laying off people.

I have young kids so it is cool to be able to play older games without having to pull out the WiiU, but if I didn't I wouldn't bother with 3D world, 3D All Stars or SS HD and wouldn't have played anything on the remake of Links Awakening. I did play Paper Mario and enjoyed it but I would have skipped it if I didn't have a kid that likes Mario. I want a new Zelda and Metroid and would like another new Monolith RPG. I think I am getting 1 cool "new" game every 9 months or so on the system that I want to play. I have a nice PC and a PS5 and kids and work, so any game on switch needs to be pretty big for me to want to play over other options and responsibilities.

Moomalade74

Banned
This is an interesting discussion, I can see both points of view in terms of what one likes to play and is interested in will very much dictate how this Direct is perceived. Personally, there's nothing here for me, but it taps into a bigger frustration and disappointment I have with Nintendo.
I've been a massive fan ever since becoming a Mario Kart master on the SNES. I have faithfully purchased every console, including expensive imports back in the late ninties and early nouties when there was a big gap in the release dates across the world and I just couldn't wait.
I bought all the software, including strange titles like Animal Leader, trying to decipher how to play such an abstract game with everything in japanese.

(I'm not trying to puff myself up as some kind of big bertie bollocks Nintendo fan, just laying out some context)

I bought the Wii U, and supported the company by purchasing all those games at the time, because 'HD Nintendo!' . Ok, some titles were pretty duff, but I always had faith they would through with something decent in the end and eventually the Wii U was home to a pretty nice selection of first party titles.
Then came the Switch, wow, Mario and Zelda in the first year, BOTW one of if not potentially the greatest game I've ever played. Then... things took a weird turn. It was the beginning of this trend for 're-releases'. Some people in here are calling them remasters,. They are not, they are low effort re-releases of Wii U games, and uprez'ed older games.

The point I think I'm trying to make, is that I feel sort ripped off by Nintendo. I was a Wii U owner, back when they were really suffering, I believed in them and supported them as a consumer. Now, they are padding out the Switch with all these Wii U titles I've already played and basically abandoning me as a player. Take away your DK Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, Mario 3D World, outside of the first year, what mainline game have they released beyond online competitive games? As a single player gamer, they've basically turned their back on me. Someone who has been super loyal.

Look, I know they are a business and that's how it works, but they've snapped the connection I had with them with all these Wii U releases. Yes, they know nobody bought that machine, but they must also know there is a considerable sub section of fans that did, but they don't give a shit about them.

So I don't give a shit about Nintendo anymore. Cyncial money grabbing outfit, used to be amazing.

Last edited:

We were talking about Sony's output in general not just PS4. Even if some of those games were weaker than prior entries that doesn't make them bad games as none of those were reviewed poorly. GT6 regarded as the worst? By who? Both critic and user scores for it are better than GT Sport lol. Puppeteer is as AAA in quality as a lot of the games Nintendo puts out but hey nice try trying to downplay that one too.

I only used them since some of you seem fine only getting remasters. Thing is though even if Sony had a year with a lot of them they haven't focused on mostly only that which is what Nintendo has been doing for most of the Switch generation. As I pointed out 2015 had much more than that too with The Order, Bloodborne, Helldivers, Alienation, Fat Princess Adventures, and Until Dawn. That's a lot of NEW games in one year alongside a few remasters. Sony also doesn't charge $60 for most of those remasters.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
We were talking about Sony's output in general not just PS4. Even if some of those games were weaker than prior entries that doesn't make them bad games as none of those were reviewed poorly. GT6 regarded as the worst? By who? Both critic and user scores for it are better than GT Sport lol. Puppeteer is as AAA in quality as a lot of the games Nintendo puts out but hey nice try trying to downplay that one too.

I only used them since some of you seem fine only getting remasters. Thing is though even if Sony had a year with a lot of them they haven't focused on mostly only that which is what Nintendo has been doing for most of the Switch generation. As I pointed out 2015 had much more than that too with The Order, Bloodborne, Helldivers, Alienation, Fat Princess Adventures, and Until Dawn. That's a lot of NEW games in one year alongside a few remasters. Sony also doesn't charge $60 for most of those remasters.

Except Nintendo isn't only getting Remasters, just as Sony wasn't during the early to mid PS4 when that was a common sentiment. Take off your console warring glasses for once.

Also Order was a 4 hour game sold at 60 dollars with zero replayability. Fat Princess was a forgettable franchise that sold poorly, Hell Divers and Aliennation weren't even AA titles and games, to use your vernacular, "no one remembers". The only titles you listed for 2015 that were big deals were Bloodborne and Until Dawn, the rest being below AA quality, budget releases, or disappointments (especially in the case of Order, which I do really love but man they fucked up that by rushing it out the door - needed at least 2-3 more years of dev time). Y'know, all the things you have made claim to about Nintendo's offerings.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
We were talking about Sony's output in general not just PS4.
I was certainly talking about PS4 games. As for the PS3 games, I sincerely doubt any of those games except TLOU and Beyond were budget-heavy at all. Especially not GoW: Ascension and Puppeteer.
Puppeteer is as AAA in quality as a lot of the games Nintendo puts out but hey nice try trying to downplay that one too.
Sure, not being AAA doesn't mean bad. It's not an attempt at downplaying the game's quality. It's definitely not AAA though. It's a smaller title with a smaller budget and that's totally okay.

GT6 regarded as the worst? By who? Both critic and user scores for it are better than GT Sport lol.
GT Sports lacks content, but the driving was praised and GT7 will be probably based on the foundation of GT Sports. GT6 seemed like GT5 all over again without significant improvements.

Sony also doesn't charge $60 for most of those remasters.
No, they charge $80 for some new games now. Also charged $60 for the three-hour cinematic borefest called The Order and Alienation was a 2016 game btw.

See, I get the issue about Nintendo's price politics for their remasters totally, but you got to understand that the originals all underperformed, and it's kinda silly to expect them to rot on the Wii U forever. For most Switch owners those are totally new games.

No, they charge $80 for some new games now. Also charged $60 for the three-hour cinematic borefest called The Order and Alienation was a 2016 game btw.
Are you really deflecting by what they charge now? Btw it's $70 for their games not $80. If you're going to count special editions then you could say that about most games over the last generation or so as almost every big one had one. Sony fully remade games like Ratchet and Shadow of the Colossus and they only asked $30-$40 for them. Compare that to Nintendo that straight up asks $60 for everything and most of the time it's with barely any improvements. Miitopia, a game no one asked for, costs more on Switch than when it originally came out. That's a joke

Also Order was a 4 hour game sold at 60 dollars with zero replayability. Fat Princess was a forgettable franchise that sold poorly, Hell Divers and Aliennation weren't even AA titles and games
4 hour game sold at $60. You mean like New Pokemon Snap is going to be? You talk about forgettable games or not even AA maybe you should look at Nintendo with things like Miitopia. No one asked for that crap to come to Switch (and be priced higher than it was at that.)

Impotaku

See, I get the issue about Nintendo's price politics for their remasters totally, but you got to understand that the originals all underperformed, and it's kinda silly to expect them to rot on the Wii U forever. For most Switch owners those are totally new games.

For me this is exactly it, i never bothered with the wiiu so all of those games ended up been new experiences for me & i loved it. All of those wiiu games that were released and sold like crap deserve another chance to shine they just had the misfortune to be launched on a flop console. A lot harsher for the people that did get a wiiu though i can understand the annoyance for the ones that bought them already, as far as im concerned i'm happy for nintendo to keep going and release more i'd love to play paper mario colour splash too.

Been a fan of nintendo since i was about 12 years old with the era of gb & nes i'm now 44 and still enjoy them as much as ever, i never had the same problem as i see others who feel betrayed. I just bought what i liked from whatever region i liked i just went with the flow, i never stuck to just nintendo first party stuff it's always been a mix of 3rd party too so the droughts people mention were not as bad for me as i supplemented the 1st party stuff with other games as well. Probably helps that my main gaming region of choice is Japan and a hell of a lot more titles come out over there than the west although that has been improving as the generations have gone on.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
4 hour game sold at $60. You mean like New Pokemon Snap is going to be? You talk about forgettable games or not even AA maybe you should look at Nintendo with things like Miitopia. No one asked for that crap to come to Switch (and be priced higher than it was at that.)

I am pointing out your hypocrisy, mate. Something that seems to not be getting through that thick console-warrior skull of yours.
Everything you claim Nintendo is doing, Sony has done and/or is currently doing (same can be said for Microsoft).
  • Releasing only a handful of major releases in a year supplanted by cheaper, faster produced niche Indie, A, and AA titles? Sony did that as has been proved time and again in this thread by folks such as myself and @SpongebobSquaredance .
  • You claim that Nintendo fanboys froth at the mouth and accept anything that is given to them? You literally prove that you have done the same thing with every list you provide from Sony exclusives.
  • Games being announced early with almost nothing to show for it for years? One of the games you so ardently defend, TLOU2, literally *just* went through this and that is just a recent example. There are hundreds more to choose from throughout the years such as Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, Uncharted, etc.
Now, that isn't to say you can't or shouldn't enjoy those Indie, A, or AA releases or maintain hyped and excited for games that have been teased for year after year - all I am saying is that your hypocrisy is beyond silly and you need to get that through your head a little.

• You claim that Nintendo fanboys froth at the mouth and accept anything that is given to them? You literally prove that you have done the same thing with every list you provide from Sony exclusives.
  • Games being announced early with almost nothing to show for it for years? One of the games you so ardently defend, TLOU2, literally *just* went through this and that is just a recent example. There are hundreds more to choose from throughout the years such as Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon, Uncharted, etc.
And what doesn't seem to be getting through your thick head is that unlike Nintendo Sony hasn't left their fans wanting with a sparse lineup outside remasters. How many remasters have we gotten from Sony over the last 4 years or so? Barely any. Remakes like Demon's Souls and Shadow are a different story as they actually had a lot of work put into them unlike stuff like Skyward Sword HD, Mario 3D collection (couldn't even bother to move M64 out of 4:3 ratio), Miitopia, the list goes on and on. Sony also doesn't go years usually after announcing a game without talking about it. Nintendo on the other hand has had Bayo 3, BotW2, Metroid Prime 4, and others announced for how long now without so much as an update on any of them. Idk where you get that games like TLOU2, Spider-Man, Horizon etc were announced years ahead of time and never shown. Most of those games were shown and released a year or two after announcement. Hundreds more? Quit over exaggerating bro.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
How many remasters have we gotten from Sony over the last 4 years or so?

Actually, quite a few. Often in forms of remaster collections and trilogies, often stand-alone, but they definitely do this too. Nintendo has the excuse that most of their remasters were underperforming Wii U titles, which is a perfect reason to rerelease those games. Sony did the same with the Vita and rereleased Tearaway and Gravity Rush for example. Nintendo released more games on the Wii U though and therefore have a bigger selection of games to rerelease.

Also they...

...announced TLOU2 in 2016, released in 2020
...announced Spider-Man in 2016, released in 2018.
...announced Horizon in 2015, released in 2017.

Maybe those are weak examples but the release is at least 2 years after the announcement and in the case of TLOU2 almost 4 years.
Nintendo does this too, but on the contrary, they also announce and release games in the very same year. In the case of Paper Mario, they shadow announced it under the blue and released it a few months later.

Actually, quite a few. Often in forms of remaster collections and trilogies, often stand-alone, but they definitely do this too. Nintendo has the excuse that most of their remasters were underperforming Wii U titles, which is a perfect reason to rerelease those games. Sony did the same with the Vita and rereleased Tearaway and Gravity Rush for example. Nintendo released more games on the Wii U though and therefore have a bigger selection of games to rerelease.

Also they...

...announced TLOU2 in 2016, released in 2020
...announced Spider-Man in 2016, released in 2018.
...announced Horizon in 2015, released in 2017.

Maybe those are weak examples but the release is at least 2 years after the announcement and in the case of TLOU2 almost 4 years.
Nintendo does this too, but on the contrary, they also announce and release games in the very same year. In the case of Paper Mario, they shadow announced it under the blue and released it a few months later.
Horizon revealed E3 2015, released early 2017 which is less than 2 years. Sony does short turnarounds at times too such as all of their PS5 launch titles being announced 5 months before launch. Ratchet will be out a year after reveal. Horizon 2 will be out a little over year after reveal. God of War 2 most likely less than 2 years. TLOU2 and UC4 were pretty bad but Sony always does that for Naughty Dog because they know people will buy a system as soon as they announce a game so they use them for hype.

Also I asked how many has Sony done in the past few years and you said quite a few without giving any examples. Things like Tearaway and Gravity Rush were early PS4. I said last few years.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I said last few years.
Why should it be only limited to the last few years?
Either they do this or they don't.
Off the top of my head, they rereleased TLOU, GoW 3, Wipeout HD, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Flower and Journey, Parappa the Rapper, trilogies like GoW, Uncharted, and Jak & Dexter among others.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And what doesn't seem to be getting through your thick head is that unlike Nintendo Sony hasn't left their fans wanting with a sparse lineup outside remasters. How many remasters have we gotten from Sony over the last 4 years or so? Barely any. Remakes like Demon's Souls and Shadow are a different story as they actually had a lot of work put into them unlike stuff like Skyward Sword HD, Mario 3D collection (couldn't even bother to move M64 out of 4:3 ratio), Miitopia, the list goes on and on. Sony also doesn't go years usually after announcing a game without talking about it. Nintendo on the other hand has had Bayo 3, BotW2, Metroid Prime 4, and others announced for how long now without so much as an update on any of them. Idk where you get that games like TLOU2, Spider-Man, Horizon etc were announced years ahead of time and never shown. Most of those games were shown and released a year or two after announcement. Hundreds more? Quit over exaggerating bro.

Welp, I tried. You warring you little console warrior you.

Why should it be only limited to the last few years?
Either they do this or they don't.
Off the top of my head, they rereleased TLOU, GoW 3, Wipeout HD, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Flower and Journey, Parappa the Rapper, trilogies like GoW, Uncharted, and Jak & Dexter among others.
They didn't release hardly any trilogies on PS4. You're talking about all the way back on PS3 when Sony had a God of War and Jak collection. I'm not talking about what Sony did on PS3. We're talking about the current platforms for both Sony and Nintendo. And as I already said most of those games you just named came out in the first 2 years of the PS4. Sony has been giving people new entries and IPs for 4+ years now mostly. Nintendo on the other hand had a strong first two years and ever since has been coasting with mostly ports from the Wii U. Now that they are running out of those it's starting to be ports from Wii, 3DS, and older Mario games. We want more original games not ports.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Nintendo on the other hand had a strong first two years and ever since has been coasting with mostly ports from the Wii U. Now that they are running out of those it's starting to be ports from Wii, 3DS, and older Mario games. We want more original games not ports.
...then... maybe... don't buy them? You don't have to buy any port and again, for most Switch owners Wii U ports are entirely new games. So "we" is kinda relative. If you are a Wii U owner, sure, but most aren't.

My only gripe with the Mario collection is the lack of Mario Galaxy 2. Otherwise it is very nice to have.
Skyward Sword HD should've been part of a collection. I don't get why they choose to remaster Miitopia, but maybe it has enough new content to justify it, who knows. I won't get it as I am not interested in this game. Xenoblade: Definitive Edition is pretty much a remake. Are there any other Wii and 3DS ports I've missed?
You're talking about all the way back on PS3 when Sony had a God of War and Jak collection. I'm not talking about what Sony did on PS3. We're talking about the current platforms for both Sony and Nintendo. And as I already said most of those games you just named came out in the first 2 years of the PS4.
Port is port. No matter the time of release.

...then... maybe... don't buy them? You don't have to buy any port and again, for most Switch owners Wii U ports are entirely new games. So "we" is kinda relative. If you are a Wii U owner, sure, but most aren't.

My only gripe with the Mario collection is the lack of Mario Galaxy 2. Otherwise it is very nice to have.
Skyward Sword HD should've been part of a collection. I don't get why they choose to remaster Miitopia, but maybe it has enough new content to justify it, who knows. I won't get it as I am not interested in this game. Xenoblade: Definitive Edition is pretty much a remake. Are there any other Wii and 3DS ports I've missed?

Port is port. No matter the time of release.
I understand that a lot of people missed those games on Wii U while I played them but that doesn't excuse them from not having much else. It's like the fans who stuck by them and bought their failed console are being punished for buying their new one. I haven't played a new Mario Kart in almost 10 years now. That's honestly pathetic. I don't give two craps that the old one is selling so well. That does nothing for those of use who want new Mario Kart content. I mean at the least release new DLC for it but Nintendo is too damn lazy to do that either.

You're argument falls apart when you are having to compare what Nintendo is doing now to what another company was doing 10+ years ago as opposed to what they've been doing in the last 5. We're done here

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Horizon revealed E3 2015, released early 2017 which is less than 2 years. Sony does short turnarounds at times too such as all of their PS5 launch titles being announced 5 months before launch. Ratchet will be out a year after reveal. Horizon 2 will be out a little over year after reveal. God of War 2 most likely less than 2 years. TLOU2 and UC4 were pretty bad but Sony always does that for Naughty Dog because they know people will buy a system as soon as they announce a game so they use them for hype.

Also I asked how many has Sony done in the past few years and you said quite a few without giving any examples. Things like Tearaway and Gravity Rush were early PS4. I said last few years.

I would argue PS4 titles like U4, and the likes took longer because they were coming from PS3, so new tools had to be built. Also why are we comparing Nintendo titles to Sony? Both are different in what they make so it's natural some will take longer than others.

In sony's case their games take a lot longer because of the production assets. Mo-cap, voice over, cutscenes, and a lot of their games are large in either scope or story. So every character is going to be mo-capped, modeled, voiced have AI instructions ect.

Production wise theirs more going into Sony's games because they are narrative heavy, Nintendo is all about gameplay. Which to me is the reason why alot of people including myself are a little perplexed when they announce games 3 years ago and still have heard nothing.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I understand that a lot of people missed those games on Wii U while I played them but that doesn't excuse them from not having much else.

New Nintendo games on Switch:
  • Smash Bros Ultimate
  • Zelda BotW
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
  • Paper Mario
  • Mario Tennis
  • Hyrule Warriors 2
  • Xenoblade 2
  • Astral Chain
  • 1-2 Switch
  • Arms
  • Splatoon 2
  • Snipperclips
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
  • Octopath Traveler
  • Nintendo Labo
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Super Mario Party
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Mario Maker 2
  • Tetris 99
  • Daemon X Machina
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Animal Crossing
  • Pokemon Sword and Shield
  • Clubhouse Games
  • Dr. Kawashima
  • Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
  • Kirby Star Allies
That's 30 games, not counting the remakes of Link's Awakening, Xenoblade 1, and first-gen Pokemon.
Now imagine for a second how much more you get when you never owned a Wii U.

another company was doing 10+ years ago

Beyond & Heavy Rain was 2016
Wipeout Omega Collection was 2017 along with remasters of LocoRoco 1 and 2 and Parappa the Rapper and Jak and Daxter.
2019 we had a remake of Medievil which is very close to the original (Like Tony Hawk 1+2 or Spyro Reignited compared to the originals as opposed to FF7 compared to FF7 Remake) and a very nice visual overhaul.

10 years?

I don't need a strong argument when yours is paper-thin to begin with. Now we are done. Thanks.

Beyond & Heavy Rain was 2016
Wipeout Omega Collection was 2017 along with remasters of LocoRoco 1 and 2 and Parappa the Rapper and Jak and Daxter.
2019 we had a remake of Medievil which is very close to the original (Like Tony Hawk 1+2 or Spyro Reignited compared to the originals as opposed to FF7 compared to FF7 Remake) and a very nice visual overhaul.

10 years?

I don't need a strong argument when yours is paper-thin to begin with. Now we are done. Thanks.
Jak & Daxter were PS2 classics so they hardly even count. Those weren't remasters. That's like Nintendo putting games on their NES app on the Switch. Medievil was a full remake and not a simple port unlike most of Nintendo's. It falls in with SotC and Demon's Souls. And yes they did have Loco and Parappa as smaller games during those years but they weren't the focus and were also less than $20 each which is what companies should be doing when they barely put work in "ahem Nintendo."

So again while they had a few ports during those years they merely served as extras to the heavy hitters Sony has had over the second half of the PS4 life cycle. The last 4-5 years for them has been loaded. Nintendo on the other hand gives you a golf game, a musou zelda, and an OK Paper Mario over 2 years. Outside that nothing but lazy ports Mario 3D World being the lone exception as they actually did some work and gave us 4 hours of new content.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Jak & Daxter were PS2 classics so they hardly even count. Those weren't remasters.
Yes, they are. They made them HD and sold them both digital and physically. It's a remaster (although that term is very loose, I'll give you that.)

So again while they had a few ports during those years they merely served as extras
Again, a port is a port, no matter how hard you are trying to justify it.

Outside that nothing but lazy ports Mario 3D World being the lone exception as they actually did some work and gave us 4 hours of new content.
There is a big enough list of new titles (look at my previous comment). Not to mention there are plenty of third-party and indie games. The Switch is literally loaded with games. If you don't enjoy the lineup, the problem is entirely on you in this case, as your taste is incompatible.

Medievil was a full remake and not a simple port unlike most of Nintendo's. It falls in with SotC and Demon's Souls. And yes they did have Loco and Parappa as smaller games during those years but they weren't the focus and were also less than $20 each which is what companies should be doing when they barely put work in "ahem Nintendo."
Yes, that's why I wrote it was a remake and that's also why I excluded Nintendo's remakes from the list of new titles. To be honest, this just goes to a point of ridiculousness. "Wahh your company only releases old games" "If it was only Wii U remasters, they also do it with Wii games" "Oh, yeah? those remaster and remakes of old games don't count because they are PS2 anyway lol" "...but the price of your rereleases is much higher so I win, bye-bye"

Literally, any of those points is piss poor except the pricing politics of those games.

For me this is exactly it, i never bothered with the wiiu so all of those games ended up been new experiences for me & i loved it. All of those wiiu games that were released and sold like crap deserve another chance to shine they just had the misfortune to be launched on a flop console. A lot harsher for the people that did get a wiiu though i can understand the annoyance for the ones that bought them already, as far as im concerned i'm happy for nintendo to keep going and release more i'd love to play paper mario colour splash too.
I'm glad these Wii U games got ported for new players, but for me, the majority of them ended up worse in the transition to switch, like there wasn't enough care or attention to the ports and instead they're speed ports just to get them out. Bayonetta 2 is the best port job, just runs much smoother and didn't mess up visuals or anything. The only port I can even appreciate having played (and own) everything on Wii U already.

At this point, I just eye roll and grunt with every new wii U port announcement, like please stop guys. You've got everything (that's possible to port) now but... Yoshi's wooly world I think. Might as well port that too, it is a good game.
New Nintendo games on Switch:
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Mario + Rabbids
  • Super Mario Party
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
- And I wouldn't care, but these are the only games i've enjoyed/worth anything to me from that list (girl bought mario party), I remember some bad droughts on Wii, but it's honestly far worse on switch. MUCH worse for me. The only saving grace in this for me is if Nintendo is just holding back a bunch of stuff for a new switch model, or we have a hell of an e3 this year.

Yes, they are. They made them HD and sold them both digital and physically. It's a remaster (although that term is very loose, I'll give you that.)
No they aren't. The PS4 versions are PS2 classics do your damn research. The Jak collection on PS3 like 10 years ago was HD. That isn't what they are on PS4 lmao.

There is a big enough list of new titles. Not to mention there are plenty of third-party and indie games. The Switch is literally loaded with games. If you don't enjoy the lineup, the problem is entirely on you in this case, as your taste is incompatible.
No there really isn't. Anyone can look at the first two years of the Switch and the last two and see a HUGE drop in new games. You're right there are plenty of third party and indie games. The same ones I can play on my PS5 and Series X that look and run far better. I want reasons to play my Switch and those aren't it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
No they aren't. The PS4 versions are PS2 classics do your damn research. The Jak collection on PS3 like 10 years ago was HD. That isn't what they are on PS4 lmao.
jak_and_daxter_collection_ii_ps4_remastered_hd_by_9029561-damhnax.png

"Remastered in HD". Please put your googles on.

No there really isn't.
Yes, there are.
There are currently 3254 games
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games_(A–F)

Do you really want to tell me you can't find anything out of this list that is worthwhile?

Anyone can look at the first two years of the Switch and the last two and see a HUGE drop in new games
Anyone can look at the first 2 years of PS4 and the last two and see a HUGE rise in new quality games.

See how that goes?

. You're right there are plenty of third party and indie games. The same ones I can play on my PS5 and Series X that look and run far better, except the games that aren't available on next gen. I want reasons to play my Switch and those aren't it for me

"Remastered in HD". Please put your googles on.
That is a fake box art. Idk where you pulled that shit from. Like I said go educate yourself please and do a simple google search. You're really making yourself look stupid. All of these looked worse on PS4 then they were on PS3 because they are the PS2 versions and not the HD collection ones. They also didn't get a retail release except via Limited Run Games. I can't believe you pulled some fake box art shit

Last edited:
Top Bottom