• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct Announced for Feb 8th, 2023 (40min long)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Outside of the expected ToTK Switch model, I'm not expecting any hardware announcements. Hoping for a bunch of games to be announced and for more information on Metal Slug Tactics as that should be coming soon!

Thinks we will be seeing:

• Tears of the Kingdom Gameplay
  • Tears of the Kingdom Edition and Price announcement
  • Tears of the kingdom Switch Console announcement
  • Advanced Wars 1+2 Release Date Trailer
  • Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
  • Kirby Return to the Dreamland: Deluxe
  • Octopath Traveler II
  • Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection
  • Atelizer Ryza 3
  • Minecraft Legends

Thinks we maybe will see:

• Metroid Prime 4
  • Silksong
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Pikimin 4
  • Sea of Stars

Thinks we wont be seeing:

• Nintendo Switch Pro
  • Bloodborne

Last edited:

Ceadeus

We already have a release date for the game though, May 12.

LOL. How are you in a gaming forum about Nintendo Direct, and you don’t know the game already has a release date? Did you miss the last Nintendo Direct five months ago?

It is fine if TotK is just a Switch game. BotW was a Wii U title, TotK is actually made with the Switch's hardware in mind. Let it be the Switch Zelda. And then let Nintendo worry about what the Zelda designed for Switch 2 will look like.

I meant, it would be very possible that Totk has a cross gen release , so I wish for a Switch 2 reveal. It's no coincidence the game would comes out near the end of Switch life. We've seen it before with the Switch and also with the new 3DS.

Gorgyles

Banned
Samba De Amiga leaked
looks cool

Fodmt95XEAE5QGK

Last edited:
I meant, it would be very possible that Totk has a cross gen release , so I wish for a Switch 2 reveal. It's no coincidence the game would comes out near the end of Switch life. We've seen it before with the Switch and also with the new 3DS.
Nintendo doesn’t announce new hardware in Directs. There’s a lot of thought and planning that goes into a hardware reveal, they’d give a lot more visibility and warning for consumers than dropping it in a Direct with 36 hours notice. No chance of new hardware.

Last edited:
What year are we on of people saying this exact same thing again?

Shuntaro Furukawa, president of Nintendo: "Switch is just in the middle of its lifecycle and the momentum going into this year is good. The Switch is ready to break a pattern of our past consoles that saw momentum weakening in their sixth year on the market and grow further".

It's a money printing machine. It officially surpassed the PS4 recently. You aren't getting a successor yet. Nobody gives a shit about the weak hardware when Animal Crossing sells 40 million copies.
Tbf, I don't think that quote is from 2022. The talking point from Nintendo that Switch is only in the mid-point of it's lifecycle was 2020/2021, and it's just that, a talking point. From their angle, they are in absolutely no rush to put out new hardware. They want to extract every dollar they possibly can from the Switch.

But also, Nintendo's just said it again themselves this week: the OLED has a smaller profit margin than OG Switch, and it retails for $349 in the US. What would a successor need to be priced at for them to be able to make a profit on each unit sold if they released one this year, or even next? $399? I'm thinking there's a ceiling that Nintendo really can't go over for their machines to remain mass-market friendly. I don't think any new machine they could sell to us this year for $399 would be worth the investment vs what we get for the Switch we already have. I think they're taking more time to wait for material costs to come down, so when they do release a successor, they can hit that $399 price point, and it actually delivers enough performance improvement that we all see the value in buying one.

I think holiday 2024 or early 2025 is more realistic. And if Switch sales nosedive this holiday or early next year, they could release a GameCube Mini or N64 Mini to get their hardware business through the console transition period. And to be clear, sales are not likely to nosedive, they'll just be at a point, likely by this fall, where Lite and OG models get their first official price drop. Or they could do a Switch Micro, or a GBA-style mini Switch to launch alongside GBA being added to NSO.

They're in a very, very good position, in that, the system is 7 years old in March, and they've never had to do a price drop, ever. That is unheard of in the history of consoles. And they could also launch the Player's Choice/ Nintendo Selects line for games over 2-3 years old, and breathe new life into older/forgotten games like ARMS, 1-2 Switch, Super Mario Party, Clubhouse Games, Yoshi Crafted Wolr,d etc. They've got so many things they can do to stem the loss of slowing end-of-life console sales, before they truly need a successor.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Tbf, that quote is not from 2022.

I think holiday 2024 or early 2025 is more realistic.

It is, there were several occasions different spokespeople said it. May 2020 it was "barely" in the middle of its lifecycle and Feb 2022 it was "still" in the middle of its lifecycle. If you look at that on a long timeline, early 2025 makes sense for a successor launch. Time for TotK, MP4, maybe an Odyssey 2. Launch the successor with Mario Kart 9 and watch it explode.

Banjo64

cumsessed
TotK and Pikmin 4 nailed on.

Prime 4 unlikely to be there IMO. Mercury Steam’s next 2D Metroid as a surprise? Maybe.

Advance Wars to show up? I don’t think so.

Genshin going to be a Switch 2 game IMO.

Really not got high expectations here but Nintendo can drop something unexpectedly so we’ll see. TotK and a 2D Metroid would make it great though.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Have been avoiding youtube channels these days successfully, this time around I'm not falling into that, this time around I feel reborn and gonna get hyped by actual announcements and laugh at those disappointed for eating rumors like candies all over again :messenger_sunglasses:

Trunx81

Gold Member
Imagine it being Shigeru entering the stage, only saying “99 Dollars”, then leaving again and the rest of the Direct is some unused footage of the Wii Music drummer.

Top Bottom