• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct June 21 - What Will We See?

Well of the 13 third party games which sold over 1 million in FY23, probaly only Minecraft and Montser Hunter Rise are on the list (and even then the chart only has the Japan sales for Minecraft, since thats the market we get figures from. Total sales for Minecraft Switch could be over 10 million.)

So the list is missing over 10 third party million sellers from last fiscal year alone. Add in all the other fiscal years, and all the games which crossed the million sellers mark in more than one year, and you've probably got more then 40 third party million sellers misisng from the list (and 40 is being conservative I think).
Of course Nintendo 1sty is main driving factor. Nintendo hands down is best 1st party developer worldwide.

I also know the litmus test seems to be 1 Million sales for 3rd parties.

Games like FIFA, and NBA 2k have achieved this some years. I remember hearing numbers back in Switch early years.

I suspect games like Doom, Skyrim, Witcher, DQXI, SMTV, P5R, Ori, Civ, Cuphead, DragonBall FighterZ, Diablo, Octopaths (both), Live Alive, Borderlands, TMNT, Tony Hawk, Bomberman, Mario Rabbids (both), FFVII, MK11 all sold greater than 1 million units.

I am just surprised it doesn’t emboldened 3rd parties to take more chances on Switch. I suspect Konami is doing this exact thing this Holiday for example.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

So Nintendo advised Yves to only do one Mario+Rabbid game per console, which confirms that Nintendo intentionally does the same thing for their franchises, with some exceptions like Zelda TotK, Mario Galaxy 2 and Splatoon 3. This explains why we haven't gotten Mario Odyssey 2: they are wating for the next console.

So Nintendo advised Yves to only do one Mario+Rabbid game per console, which confirms that Nintendo intentionally does the same thing for their franchises, with some exceptions like Zelda TotK, Mario Galaxy 2 and Splatoon 3. This explains why we haven't gotten Mario Odyssey 2: they are wating for the next console.
Nintendo mimics (old) Disney and Apple in some ways. Almost exclusively. They copy from the best.

Which is a good thing

Woopah

Still not certain how this is suggesting Nintendo's own software is not the main driving factor, of course the third party number will be off, but as you say they do not release figures, so it's all guesswork at the end of the day.
I never said first party games weren't the main driving factor, I just said you shouldn't use that Wikipedia page.
Of course Nintendo 1sty is main driving factor. Nintendo hands down is best 1st party developer worldwide.

I also know the litmus test seems to be 1 Million sales for 3rd parties.

Games like FIFA, and NBA 2k have achieved this some years. I remember hearing numbers back in Switch early years.

I suspect games like Doom, Skyrim, Witcher, DQXI, SMTV, P5R, Ori, Civ, Cuphead, DragonBall FighterZ, Diablo, Octopaths (both), Live Alive, Borderlands, TMNT, Tony Hawk, Bomberman, Mario Rabbids (both), FFVII, MK11 all sold greater than 1 million units.

I am just surprised it doesn’t emboldened 3rd parties to take more chances on Switch. I suspect Konami is doing this exact thing this Holiday for example.
Konami has put a fair few things on Switch, and it has Super Bomberman R 2 and the next Momotaro Dentetsu coming this year. I suspect we'll see Konami, Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, Level 5 and others in Directsthis year. We won't see much from Ubisfot or Capcom until the Switch 2 launches.

And then you have developers like Atlus, RGG and Bandai Namco Studios which just act weirdly when it comes to Switch.

I never said first party games weren't the main driving factor, I just said you shouldn't use that Wikipedia page.

Konami has put a fair few things on Switch, and it has Super Bomberman R 2 and the next Momotaro Dentetsu coming this year. I suspect we'll see Konami, Koei Tecmo, Square Enix, Level 5 and others in Directsthis year. We won't see much from Ubisfot or Capcom until the Switch 2 launches.

And then you have developers like Atlus, RGG and Bandai Namco Studios which just act weirdly when it comes to Switch.

Anyway, we are just talking in circles About Switch 2 until it is announced.
======================================================

The Direct will be interesting to see how much the Switch has left. Is the rumored Mario RPG Re and rumored Paper Mario TTYD Re both for Switch? IF REAL. Or could some of these rumors be games for switch 2?

Last edited:

This tells me Switch 2 confirmed to be REALLY SOON. The game released October 2022 & Nintendo wouldn’t have told them not to release a game for 3 years. 1 to 2 years max would make sense.
TfALwbZ.jpg

Mozza

I never said you did, I just suggested it was hardly a massive thing if the figures for the third party software are not a 100% accurate, as I very much doubt the differences would be all that massive.

Woopah

Anyway, we are just talking in circles About Switch 2 until it is announced.
======================================================

The Direct will be interesting to see how much the Switch has left. Is the rumored Mario RPG Re and rumored Paper Mario TTYD Re both for Switch? IF REAL. Or could some of these rumors be games for switch 2?
Some rumours might be for cross hen games after the Switch launches. But there's still multiple games for Nintendo and third parties to announce and release before Switch 2 comes out.
I never said you did, I just suggested it was hardly a massive thing if the figures for the third party software are not a 100% accurate, as I very much doubt the differences would be all that massive.
Its massive in that the list probably shows less than 10% of the third party million sellers on Switch, but yes Nintendo games are the main drivers.

Woopah

Woopah Woopah Mozza Mozza Draugoth Draugoth

I have been under the assumption since Nintendo is going to Gamescom and having the Nintendo Event in September, they could go “Full Wizard” At the Nintendo event and surprise announce something.

Do you find this realistic?
They'll announce a bunch of new first party games tomorrow, and then show demos of them at Gamescom and Nintendo Live. I don't expect any game announcements at the latter two events.

Draugoth

Gold Member

I have been under the assumption since Nintendo is going to Gamescom and having the Nintendo Event in September, they could go “Full Wizard” At the Nintendo event and surprise announce something.

NIntendo likes to announce their semestral games in a Direct, so if we dont see anything big being announced tomorrow is very unlikely we will see more big titles announcements before 2024.

Trunx81

There haven´t been any recent rumors about a new console buzzing around. Nowadays, before every major reveal you have some noice. Even the specs of Apples VR glasses where out in the wild long before the presentation. So don´t expect anything special.

Mozza

I doubt we would get any hardware announcement this year, even if there is new hardware coming next year at some point, as Nintendo would not want to hamper their traditional holiday sales. The direct tomorrow could be an indicator of new hardware, as if there are only ports etc announced, plus info on what we already know about, then it's very likely Nintendo's teams have moved onto the next hardware. If we get big new announcements then perhaps the current models have a few more years to run at least.

Mozza

Some rumours might be for cross hen games after the Switch launches. But there's still multiple games for Nintendo and third parties to announce and release before Switch 2 comes out.

Its massive in that the list probably shows less than 10% of the third party million sellers on Switch, but yes Nintendo games are the main drivers.
Yes that would be slightly significant, but again it's pure guesswork at this point, and games selling 1-1.5 million copies, is pretty poor considering the userbase, and that goes for Nintendo games as well.

Funny thing is people laughing at a new 1+2 Switch being announced, when the original sold over 3 million copies, far more than many fan favorites on the Switch, no wonder Nintendo is making a sequel, and you know this will be covered in tomorrows direct.

Woopah

Yes that would be slightly significant, but again it's pure guesswork at this point, and games selling 1-1.5 million copies, is pretty poor considering the userbase, and that goes for Nintendo games as well.

Funny thing is people laughing at a new 1+2 Switch being announced, when the original sold over 3 million copies, far more than many fan favorites on the Switch, no wonder Nintendo is making a sequel, and you know this will be covered in tomorrows direct.
They just published a trailer fr that game on Twitter. I think they know better than to put it in a Direct.

There haven´t been any recent rumors about a new console buzzing around. Nowadays, before every major reveal you have some noice. Even the specs of Apples VR glasses where out in the wild long before the presentation. So don´t expect anything special.
I would normally agree but this hasn’t been the case for numerous Nintendo releases. If you remember metroid prime was leaked a year before and then stealth release dropped the next year, fire emblem also released much later then initial rumors, i have a feeling wind waker will be revealed tomorrow even though it was rumored more then a year ago, and now we have a new switch/ switch pro rumored a while ago by VERY credible sources IN PRODUCTION that has a possibility of getting an announcement tomorrow OR a announcement of a reveal date in the future.

They just published a trailer fr that game on Twitter. I think they know better than to put it in a Direct.
The fact that they released a trailer TODAY for 1 2 Switch tells me the Direct tomorrow is JAM PACKED with heavy hitters and has no time for this junk. The Nintendo Direct of our dreams is so dam close. It really sounds like we will be getting alot of hardcore Nintendo fan announcements tomorrow (just chrono trigger and/or mario RPG is an atomic announcement for us)

Kataploom

Gold Member
I understand. But If Nintendo ever wants to grow hardware into safe continual sales generation after generation like Sony, it must grow 3rd party on the platform. If not they are walking a tight rope always. Any misstep could mean disaster.

EDIT: I don’t think Nintendo see‘s all 3rd parties as optional. I firmly believe they know some 3rd party titles specifically are essential to what they do. Minecraft, Fortnite, Rocket League, FIFA, GTA and NBA 2k all seemed essential to me. Likely even ”moneyhatted” by Nintendo. FIFA, I believe is even made by a joint EA/Nintendo dev team.

Surprised Nintendo does not “check boxes” and make sure certain popular IP are represented in some way on the system.
Switch is very third party driven actually, it's just those games are not the cinematic blockbusters some call "core games". There are entire YouTube channels dedicated to cozy games which are big on Switch, and those are only part of the communities that are not frequent in GAF

Hmmm…
JWYBMXR.jpg

So mario 2d will be changing levlels on the fly and the SNES remake is Yoshi’s Island????
INTERESTING…

Last edited:

Mozza

As I said the original was a 3 million plus seller, and this is an ideal fit for the more casual Switch crowd.... you could be right, but I would be shocked not to see this in todays direct, even more so with the pretty quick fire nature of reveals, in the current presentations

Mozza

Hmmm…
JWYBMXR.jpg

So mario 2d will be changing levlels on the fly and the SNES remake is Yoshi’s Island????
INTERESTING…

I neve put too much stock in all this, it's usually nothing more than educated guesswork and things that are very likely to happen. Just like the Metroid Prime remake, the original Metroid Prime games had been pretty much rumored for years, and leaked in every direct until the one they finally announced the original, I would guess we would get some of the last remaining Wii U ports, as it's pretty much a given Nintendo lost their asses on a lot of those games, considering how poorly the Wii U sold, those games all underperformed by a significant margin sales wise.

Last edited:

Mozza

Switch is very third party driven actually, it's just those games are not the cinematic blockbusters some call "core games". There are entire YouTube channels dedicated to cozy games which are big on Switch, and those are only part of the communities that are not frequent in GAF
I would say the Switch's main ally from third parties is the tremendous indie support it gets, the e-Shop is full of games, now I know a lot of the core will be aware and even played them, but to a lot of the casuals it's simply more choice, to add to Nintendo's own first party titles.

Woopah

As I said the original was a 3 million plus seller, and this is an ideal fit for the more casual Switch crowd.... you could be right, but I would be shocked not to see this in todays direct, even more so with the pretty quick fire nature of reveals, in the current presentations
If we look at previous EPD4 games, they announced Switch Sports in a Direct, but deliberately kept Labo, Ring Fit Adventure and Game Builder Garage out of them

So it could go either way!

Mozza

If we look at previous EPD4 games, they announced Switch Sports in a Direct, but deliberately kept Labo, Ring Fit Adventure and Game Builder Garage out of them

So it could go either way!
They could be keeping this on it's own, and will shadow drop information on it as they go.

I agree with you. Indies have down incredibly well on Switch.

My thing is, I view there is only two paths for platform holders.

1.) Act like Steam, Google Play store, App Store and Eshop and allow as many 3rd parties and indies on the platform as possible. More games = more $$.

2.) Sony mentioned during the first reveal of PS5. They wanted less games, but games that were of higher quality, so everyone could be assured that the games were all quality.

IMO, I personally hope that Nintendo pivots and goes with the P5 approach for next gen. I know this is unlikely.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I agree with you. Indies have down incredibly well on Switch.

My thing is, I view there is only two paths for platform holders.

1.) Act like Steam, Google Play store, App Store and Eshop and allow as many 3rd parties and indies on the platform as possible. More games = more $$.

2.) Sony mentioned during the first reveal of PS5. They wanted less games, but games that were of higher quality, so everyone could be assured that the games were all quality.

IMO, I personally hope that Nintendo pivots and goes with the P5 approach for next gen. I know this is unlikely.
But many third parties on Nintendo release on PS too, it's just that Nintendo is way bigger within some fandoms, I don't think any of those are console exclusive to Switch.

kevm3

Sorry, not getting myself hyped for 2d mario, mario rpg remake or chrono trigger remake

Also, it's time for Nintendo to release a new system. It's getting very difficult for me to look at these early ps3 level graphics.

Last edited:

Mozza

Looks like a pretty good indicator most development has moved onto something else, some nice stuff but pretty low key stuff from Nintendo, and pretty much ports of older types of games.

diffusionx

Gold Member
This tells me Switch 2 confirmed to be REALLY SOON. The game released October 2022 & Nintendo wouldn’t have told them not to release a game for 3 years. 1 to 2 years max would make sense.
TfALwbZ.jpg

if Nintendo is planning to release new hardware in 2024 they will mention it in their next financial report, which is in November. But they will probably say nothing more than "we plan to release new hardware by date X" and then the internet will go nuts.

It was a weird statement from the guy. First of all this game was delayed massively because Ubishit has lost the ability to develop videogames. Two, if Nintendo really did tell them to hold onto the game for 1.5-2 years, that's asking a lot. Especially when Ubi really did not have anything to release last year. Three, it is not like Nintendo was doing anything with Mario last year.

The game flopped and it is unfortunate but I don't think anyone did anything wrong here.

Mozza

if Nintendo is planning to release new hardware in 2024 they will mention it in their next financial report, which is in November. But they will probably say nothing more than "we plan to release new hardware by date X" and then the internet will go nuts.

It was a weird statement from the guy. First of all this game was delayed massively because Ubishit has lost the ability to develop videogames. Two, if Nintendo really did tell them to hold onto the game for 1.5-2 years, that's asking a lot. Especially when Ubi really did not have anything to release last year. Three, it is not like Nintendo was doing anything with Mario last year.

The game flopped and it is unfortunate but I don't think anyone did anything wrong here.
Not sure they will, as it will harm the busy holiday periods sales. pretty sure it will be early 2024 at best.

Just woke up.
Mario RPG looks fantastic!
SMB Wonder looks interesting but still kind of “New” looking with alot of wierdness? Im sure it will be fun
The thing that actually excited me the most is the Metal Gear collection! Having that portable on my OLED Switch, one of the greatest series ever made, this system, man.
a bit dissapointed no wind waker, metroid (WTH?) and Chrono Trigger HD 2D (I know it was a hope and dream)
oh and Star Ocean 2 looks pretty cool.

The fact that they are bringing a 3DS game (luigis mansion 2) to Switch tells me there is a chance Ocarina Of Time and Majoras Mask 3D HD may come at some point too which would be AMAZING.

This direct also tells me all the AAA devs have moved onto Switch 2 so very exciting times ahead. If this is pretty much the end of the Switch, what a ride man. Im satisfied. Ill be replaying all the greats until Switch 2 after I finish the gem that is Tears Of The Kingdom. Mario odyssey, Metroid Dread, GTA trilogy, smash bros ultimate, mario galaxy (3d collection), metroid prime, the Bayonetta series, finally trying the Xenoblade games. This machine really is “the best of Nintendo” machine. Having all this portable really is stellar. I still hope I can buy the classic N64 and snes games to own without paying monthly for NSO and Itll be complete.

This is pretty much my first real feeling that we are moving onto the Switch 2 and I am ready to. Exciting times ahead.

Last edited:
Top Bottom