• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Direct speculation

This is speculation on my part…

But the way I see it. All these rumors about HD Remasters for OG Switch, I believe *most* of these rumors(if true) are being held for Switch 2.

The reason, It would allow Nintendo to reap larger sales and extend OG Switch’s life longer by releasing the titles on both platforms. (OG Switch & Switch 2).

We have seen so many rumors lately of:

Fzero GX HD
Start Fox Assault HD
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse HD
Pushmo
Xenoblade X
FE 4
MP2 & 3
Zelda twilight princess
Zelda wind waker
1080 avalanche
Tomadachi Life

Rumors of another unknown GameCube remake and a 3ds remake.

I do not think all these are coming this year. Nor do I think all will come. But I do think the majority will come to OG Switch. BUT most will come after Switch 2 launches. From a business makes the most sense.

I also think this Nintendo Direct will be 3rd party heavy to carry it until March.

There are rumors of

Dragon Quest 3 HD2D
COD Black ops 1-2 (Xbox 360)
Madden 25
Lego soccer
More Rare games
Shadow of Mordor
Fallout 3

*I don’t expect all these 3rd party rumors to be true, but I do know a few are *

I think the Nintendo Direct will be good. But I expect it to be heavy 3rd party for the rest of the year as they wait for Switch 2. Then the floodgates will return to monthly releases for the first year or two of Switch 2 life.

Last edited:

SCB3

Xenoblade X
MP2 & 3
Zelda twilight princess
Zelda wind waker

These I could see and add Luigi's Mansion HD as well, and then there is Pokemon but that can wait til Septembers

They only really have to get to the Holiday season now and go all out again ramping up for March next year on Switch 2

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Metro Prime 4 plz.

artworks-dyCVxmrXqrzzrBQy-WgbljA-t500x500.jpg

Hudo

I reckon this ad show will contain:

- Something about Metroid Prime 4
- Dragon Quest HD-2D Collection
- Final Fantasy Tactics Remaster (I am huffing hopium here, since Midori said to not expect anything this month)
- Announcement of the rumored Fire Emblem 4 Remake (Will be a cross-gen title, much like Metroid Prime 4)
- And obviously some indie shovelware to pad out everything

Robb

Gold Member
The best thing that could happen for me is probably that they actually show Metroid Prime 4, since I assume that’ll be cross-gen anyway.

Other than that I mainly expect a lot of ports of old games since they’ll probably save all the good stuff for “Switch 2”.

Lots of ports and remasters and maybe a few smaller-scale games ported down that would’ve otherwise been Switch 2 launch window games.

I’d love a port of Wind Waker HD, Yoshi’s Wooly World, and one new game like a new 2D Zelda or a new DK.

It’ll be a light year for first-party just like last year was.

Last edited:

JCK75

I love the switch.. but it's gotten so long in the tooth I'm sort of over it.. until the new hardware is announced my excitement level is pretty much zero.

Woopah

I reckon we get Prime 4, a Tomodachi sequel and EPD8's Donkey Kong as the main H2 games.

Possibly a 2D Zelda from Grezzo instead of one of the above.

Then on top of that the FE4 remake, and a couple of remasters like Zelda, Metroid or Kid Icarus (I think the latter is from Bandai Namco).

Not expecting much from the big third parties, but I do reckon Marvelous, Koei Tecomo and Level 5 will be present. Let's see!
Lots of ports and remasters and maybe a few smaller-scale games ported down that would’ve otherwise been Switch 2 launch window games.

I’d love a port of Wind Waker HD, Yoshi’s Wooly World, and one new game like a new 2D Zelda or a new DK.

It’ll be a light year for first-party just like last year was.
There were 13 first party games last year and most were new. I wouldn't call that light.

I reckon we get Prime 4, a Tomodachi sequel and EPD8's Donkey Kong as the main H2 games.

Possibly a 2D Zelda from Grezzo instead of one of the above.

Then on top of that the FE4 remake, and a couple of remasters like Zelda, Metroid or Kid Icarus (I think the latter is from Bandai Namco).

Not expecting much from the big third parties, but I do reckon Marvelous, Koei Tecomo and Level 5 will be present. Let's see!

There were 13 first party games last year and most were new. I wouldn't call that light.
The scale of the games. I'm sure you know what I mean. Even if you won't admit it. It was light.

MDSLKTR

Why the speculation for Prime 4 being cross-gen? For how long it's been cooking shouldn't it be a proper new gen launch title? For me it doesn't even have to look good, just a robust physics focus like the Zelda's and I'm happy.

I'm not expecting much other than some ports.

Why the speculation for Prime 4 being cross-gen? For how long it's been cooking shouldn't it be a proper new gen launch title? For me it doesn't even have to look good, just a robust physics focus like the Zelda's and I'm happy.
Probably for the same reason Breath of the Wild turned out cross-gen. MP4 was kind of promised for Switch. Making it exclusive to a new platform might anger some folks.

Woopah

The scale of the games. I'm sure you know what I mean. Even if you won't admit it. It was light.
If we are talking 10 million+ sellers then yes there were only 2. But it wasn't light in terms of the number of well reviewed games released.

When I think of a light year for Nintendo first party, I think 2018 or 2020.

Which publishers would you say did not have a light year in 2023?

Last edited:

Shifty1897

That's the bitch of it. They were developing all this time with Switch 1 as the target platform in mind. Now it's almost time for the Switch 2 to come out and they have a Switch 1 game, so they release on both and add all the graphical bells and whistles to the Switch 2 version.

Nintendo did this in the past with Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild, so there's a strong precedent.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Honestly, I don't expect anything but Metroid 4. Actually, i don't even want anything but that from them. If they don't announce it the whole show is a waste for me lol

More classic style FE please Nintendo, Engage didn't do it for me.

Engage was more similar to classic FE's though, it was three houses that was weird.

Honestly, thought both were pretty weak compared to the classics though

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I personally don’t think we see another Nintendo Direct until late August but there will be a decently major Switch game for it’s final Holiday season on top of the usual Pokémon game which will be Metroid Prime 4.

That will take us nicely to next Spring which is when I think they have a Switch 2 reveal event and show off the next 3D Mario and Mario Kart while giving a vague release of “winter 2025” for the console.

Last edited:
It would be such an easy win for the Switch 2 to kick out 120fps at 4k for old titles through the doc. It would not take that much and people would be falling over themselves to get one.

Absolutely no chance Nintendo do that at all. Tears of the Wild will run at 1440 60fps in a re-release at £60 for Switch 2 and they will want everyone to buy the new Mario Kart (also £60) which will again be 1440 60fps.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I just want to know WHEN.

I miss E3, not so much for the event itself or even the coverage, but the guaranteed week-long smorgasbord of announcements and reveals with everyone trying to outdo eachother.

Woopah

I personally don’t think we see another Nintendo Direct until late August but there will be a decently major Switch game for it’s final Holiday season on top of the usual Pokémon game which will be Metroid Prime 4.

That will take us nicely to next Spring which is when I think they have a Switch 2 reveal event and show off the next 3D Mario and Mario Kart while giving a vague release of “winter 2025” for the console.
Nintendo has already announced that the next Direct will be this month.

You may have missed the news, but Nintendo confirmed a June Direct just of Switch games a few weeks back. We're definitely getting one in the next 1-2ish weeks.

I wish they’d do an eternal Darkness remake.
I think they would need to involve the original team (Dyack and such) since Nintendo didn't make the original, they just published it and paid for exclusivity. Unless they're just gonna do a visual remake like with TTYD.

Last edited:

DKPOWPOW

This is speculation on my part…

But the way I see it. All these rumors about HD Remasters for OG Switch, I believe *most* of these rumors(if true) are being held for Switch 2.

The reason, It would allow Nintendo to reap larger sales and extend OG Switch’s life longer by releasing the titles on both platforms. (OG Switch & Switch 2).

We have seen so many rumors lately of:

Fzero GX HD
Start Fox Assault HD
Pushmo
Xenoblade X
FE 4
MP2 & 3
Zelda twilight princess
Zelda wind waker
1080 avalanche
Tomadachi Life

Rumors of another unknown GameCube remake and a 3ds remake.

I do not think all these are coming this year. Nor do I think all will come. But I do think the majority will come to OG Switch. BUT most will come after Switch 2 launches. From a business makes the most sense.

I also think this Nintendo Direct will be 3rd party heavy to carry it until March.

There are rumors of

Dragon Quest 3 HD2D
COD Black ops 1-2 (Xbox 360)
Madden 25
Lego soccer
More Rare games
Shadow of Mordor
Fallout 3

*I don’t expect all these 3rd party rumors to be true, but I do know a few are *

I think the Nintendo Direct will be good. But I expect it to be heavy 3rd party for the rest of the year as they wait for Switch 2. Then the floodgates will return to monthly releases for the first year or two of Switch 2 life.
I would agree. Some of these games will come to Switch, and some are more meant to be a bridge to Switch 2.

For example, the Zelda Remasters. As much as I'd like to get a better version of Twilight Princess in my hands (the Wii U version left a lot to be desired), I think those games would be more successful and get more hype from a Switch 2 release.

And the same goes for Prime 2 & 3. If the plan is for Prime 4 to release in the fall of 2025, a 4K Metroid Prime Trilogy release for Switch 2 would be a nice way to start the hype train for 4.

But then again, Prime 4 could very well be a Switch 1 release this year, or a cross-gen launch title like Breath of the Wild and Twilight Princess.

If that's the case it might make more sense to shadow drop Prime 2: Echoes and Prime 3: Corruption prior to Prime 4.

But other games you mentioned seem more fitting of a Switch 1 release. Kirby, Star Fox Assault, F-Zero GX, and 1080 could do very well this year. Releasing them between July and October would ease the gap they have. 1080 in December seems perfect. Dragon Quest HD and a Black Ops Collection in November would be a nice third party cap-off.

I could see this playing out

July - F-Zero GX Refueled
August - Star Fox: Assault Reloaded
September - Fallout 3
October - Kirby Rainbow Curse HD with Switch Micro release featuring enhanced touch screen and stylus.
November - Black Ops and Dragon Quest Switch Micro Bundles
December - 1080 Respin

January Switch 2 reveal Xenoblade X, Fire Emblem 4 announced. Twilight Princess Remastered looking like the old Wii U Zelda Tech Demo from E3 2011. Prime Trilogy, Prime 4, Mario Kart 9 and Super Mario Galaxy 3. All 2025.

Throw in a Punch Out and a casual game... Ah a man can dream lol.

Also if Switch 2 lacks a fighting game @ launch I could see M$ being smart and porting Killer Instinct.

Boom.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

WE'll see (1st party wise) 3-4 ports/remasters/2d games in 2nd half of this year.

The games listed as "rumors" range from wild dreams to educated guesses perhaps in a case or two maybe something just above educated guess.

Not impossible we could get a bigger thank you release this xmas.

Last edited:

Jesb

I think they would need to involve the original team (Dyack and such) since Nintendo didn't make the original, they just published it and paid for exclusivity. Unless they're just gonna do a visual remake like with TTYD.
Oh I thought Nintendo had full rights to the ip.

Top Bottom