• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if... Switch 2 x Game Pass?

kebaldo

After all these rumors/news talking about Xbox games going multiplatform what if the first big jump Microsoft is going to do on another platform is on the Switch 2? I can see Nintendo putting out another "born old" console and they could use XCloud and the Gamepass to stay on track with the competition + an already huge library + Nintendo could gain new costumers who always thought "I can't buy a Switch because then i need an Xbox/Playstation to play the yearly fifa/Ac/Cod". It could bring benefits for both parties... Microsoft continues to grow the Gamepass numbers and Nintendo gets all those benefits.
Imagine in the middle of the Switch 2 presentation seeing Phil coming out to speak 🤯.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
That’d be dope, even though it’d have to be streaming. I begrudgingly play a few game pass games on my phone when I’m too lazy to go downstairs. Powerwash sim isn’t too bad with touch screen.

Topher

Gold Member
Plenty of amazing quality first party games to be found on the premiere subscription service for the World's Largest Publisher™, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate™ :lollipop_baby_angel:

That's all fine, but if you are going to have put that subscription service on another platform then you'd best get the games over there first. You do understand the topic of the thread, right?

The only reason Nintendo would ever allow for this is to undercut Sony, and now there's less competition in the market, they might actually have a reason to.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
If Nintendo allowed Game Pass on their console, even if it was just for first party games and not all the extra stuff, then that would be great. Would be a good differentiator from Playstation, too.
don't think it will happen. Nintendo wants their % from game sales on their system. That would make people not buy their games but use Gamepass instead which would be a much smaller cut.

I think Microsoft will sell their titles on Switch 2 and PS5

Sakura

After all these rumors/news talking about Xbox games going multiplatform what if the first big jump Microsoft is going to do on another platform is on the Switch 2? I can see Nintendo putting out another "born old" console and they could use XCloud and the Gamepass to stay on track with the competition + an already huge library + Nintendo could gain new costumers who always thought "I can't buy a Switch because then i need an Xbox/Playstation to play the yearly fifa/Ac/Cod". It could bring benefits for both parties... Microsoft continues to grow the Gamepass numbers and Nintendo gets all those benefits.
Imagine in the middle of the Switch 2 presentation seeing Phil coming out to speak 🤯.
Why would Nintendo want this? The Switch has already sold like, 130+ million consoles. They don't need to "stay on track with the competition", when they are already outselling the competition.
Nintendo makes money off every game sold on their platform. Allowing gamepass would basically just mean they are making less money. It doesn't make any sense for them.

Reactions: KU_

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
As a consumer I dont have a problem with "renting" games like NeoGaf likes to call it.

I think companies who's main objective is to make money don't see the benefit in a "rental" service....yet.

GamePass on the switch 2 is not impossible though. Anything can happen as the past year in gaming has shown us.

Generic

Outside Xbox no one cares about gamepass and subscriptions have stalled on all consoles
Switch 2 will have xbox games to buy not rent
That would be a shame, I would rather rent Indiana Jones for $10 for a month (more than enough time to finish it) than pay a whooping $70 on it.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I don’t understand this mentality- play the games you want in the platform you want to play them on. If you’ve got an Xbox and like gaming on it, why the hell would you care that games are coming out on another system?

I don’t have an Xbox right now because I’ve got a PC with Gamepass, but why would I give feel bad at all if Starfield is released on PS5 and more people can play it? Good for them, more people able to play games is something that should make us all happy, not throw our toys away in disgust.

CS Lurker

get_shu4.gif

tmlDan

The only reason Nintendo would ever allow for this is to undercut Sony, and now there's less competition in the market, they might actually have a reason to.
this makes no sense, why would they decide to remove the 30% cut just to compete (hell they don't even have to cause they have a completely diff target audience). Money > being petty

Last edited:

Quezacolt

No. They would make less money with gamepass.

Nintendo makes money with each game sold on their system, gamepass wouldn't help them at all.

Hell, if Microsoft wasn't being stomped by both Nintendo and Sony, i bet they would have never created gamepass either. Now they have created a monster, because many xbox players aren't buying games, they wait for them to come to gamepass, and for a game to get there, Microsoft has to pay.

coffinbirth

A platform has to have the games before it can have a subscription for the games.
Are we just pretending Xcloud doesn't exist or what? Or is this one of those Xbox has no games shitposts...or both?
Foamstars? You lost? This is about Xbox games on Switch.
Woosh.
That's all fine, but if you are going to have put that subscription service on another platform then you'd best get the games over there first. You do understand the topic of the thread, right?
Still unsure if you're saying that because these games aren't running natively, Game Pass cannot exist on Switch 2 or if you're saying Xbox has no games to bring to Switch to begin with...which is why I think this guy is trolling you and you're double wooshing.

Are you trolling each other or am I losing my mind....what is happening?!?
200w.gif

Robb

Gold Member
No chance imo, Nintendo makes money on all 3rd party games sold so having a competitors service on their device that cuts out that part makes no sense.

Even if MS would limit it to first party games only I imagine Nintendo would still likely benefit way more by forcing MS to publish and release each game on their platform and pay the licensing fees on a per game basis.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The whole point this whole time is to have Xbox as a service. Xbox apps on mobile devices, pc, tvs, anywhere it can be. I don't know why everyone is freaking out. It's been right in front of your faces the whole time.

Mephisto40

The switch 2 is most likely not going to be powerful enough to run the latest xbox games, or even one's released in the past 2-3 years

Even if MS would limit it to first party games only I imagine Nintendo would still likely benefit way more by forcing MS to publish and release each game on their platform and pay the licensing fees on a per game basis.
This is how I see it, same for Sony.

They're better off just continuing to distance themselves from the other 2 and let Xbox fail and Sony become complacent.

They just need to upgrade their own service. Hopefully with GameCube and DS games.

Beechos

The problem is not gamepass itself on other platforms it is needing xcloud to run the games. Switch 2 won't be able to natively play the games and would need to rely on streaming them and we all know how everyone feels about that.

Fbh

I mean MS games on a Switch 2 would be cool.
It wouldn't even need to be the newest titles but having stuff like the Gears Trilogy, Master Chief Collection, Doom 2016 and Eternal, Sea of Thieves, etc would already be nice.

That said IMO for subscription services to work they need to be consistent. I don't know if this idea people have of multiple version of Gamepass on different devices with different libraries would really work.
That's as if you using Netflix on your TV vs your console vs your phone vs your PC all gave you access to different content.
And I doubt Nintendo would allow a Gamepass which includes third party games.

SHA

I hate to make baseless speculations and obviously will get addressed later on, it's literally obvious heavy games don't work on mobile so let's get these obvious baseless speculations clear instead of wasting efforts.

WitchHunter

Banned
I think Microsoft will buy back all Series X consoles. Series S owners will be left in the dust, as retaliation for being a cheapskate. True story. :D

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
What!? Multiplatform is what every gamer should want. Don't buy into fanboy bs pc is going strong .. strong enough to get Sony on board. And pc already has the infrastructure to support a billion hardware configurations. PC is multi platform at its peak!

MS really just needs to create wrappers to play Xbox games on pc and mobile devices. If they did that they would win. Buy once and truly play anywhere on the Xbox app.

computing is heading that way anyway. Lots of translation software out there. Crossover on Mac, wine, proton. It's going to get there eventually. Sony or Ms should really just embrace that future.

Top Bottom