• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo HQ at Kyoto, worth a visit ?

HooDoo

(didnt know where to put this topic)

Hey,

I'm currently at Kyoto and I wondered if the Nintendo headquarters were worth a visit for a fan. Is there any show room ? Can we even get in it ?

Thanks

hood

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm pretty sure it's a fairly standard looking business building. At least the areas they'll let you into.

Firest0rm

HooDoo said:
(didnt know where to put this topic)

Hey,

I'm currently at Kyoto and I wondered if the Nintendo headquarters were worth a visit for a fan. Is there any show room ? Can we even get in it ?

Thanks

hood

Try going, see if you can get some info about the revolution. I'm sure they'll be generous if you ask them nicely.

skip

no way you're getting in, but if you're in the area it's worth stopping to look at.

not that it's an interesting building or anything, but because of all the magic you know is happening inside.

and the security station near the gate has plush nintendo characters in the windows.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There's a gate, a guard and then a bunch of tedious office buildings. And it's in a boring part of Kyoto. Having been inside, I can honestly tell you that you may as well sneak into your local insurance building.

PG2G

I was in Kyoto last week. I did go to a Nintendo HQ. Here are a couple pics.

nintendooutside2tt.jpg

nintendosign3og.jpg

Not quite the HQ I wanted to see :p Maybe if you're into history...

Ironclad

I think the NCL building in Kyoto is just a giant white building. Very unassuming. Nothing really exciting on the outside. I'm pretty sure inside is very business-like as well. I know the NOA building in Redmond has things like a store inside for the employees but I don't think the HQ has such a thing. I really doubt the they have tours too.

tetsuoxb

you are better off just going to kyoto station, heading to the roof, and looking south.

You can see the building (a big white cube) and take a picture.

Going there is pointless because:

1) it is a 10 dollar cab ride from the station.
2) the guards will turn you away almost immediately
3) the inside that they would actually let you see assuming you bullshitted your way to a receptionist is about as interesting as a gas company. Yes, I have been inside the building (at least the first floor meeting rooms), and no it isnt cool. All the cool is in the upper floors and imagination... I didnt get to see any of it, and I assume that holds true to all those without a valid reason.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Did you know that they have a strict dress code at Nintendo? I hope you like suits and ties. I prefer working on games wearing extremely loud Hawaiian shirts.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Sho Nuff said:
Did you know that they have a strict dress code at Nintendo? I hope you like suits and ties. I prefer working on games wearing extremely loud Hawaiian shirts.

That actually explains the fruityness that was Super Mario Sunshine!

mutsu

It's worth going if you are a true Nintendo fan. There is actually very little to see there though. There is a flag pole which carries a Nintendo flag, and at the gates there is a sign which says Nintendo. Other than that, it's just a white big cubic building and otherwise very boring.

I went there almost 2 years ago. It isn't exactly a tourist site, but if you are a true Nintendo fan like me, then you will get excited just by going there. Other than that, don't expect any Marios or Yoshis jumping around the site.

I have some photos, I'll see if I can find them and post them up for you to see.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Stinkles said:
There's a gate, a guard and then a bunch of tedious office buildings. And it's in a boring part of Kyoto. Having been inside, I can honestly tell you that you may as well sneak into your local insurance building.

I work in insurance, and I bet it's actually more exciting than Nintendo's offices.

SantaC

wasn't EGM saying that they was the first foreigerns inside nintendos hq when they had that zelda exclusive?

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
SantaCruZer said:
wasn't EGM saying that they was the first foreigerns inside nintendos hq when they had that zelda exclusive?

yeah they won't even let BLACK PEOPLE in there can you believe it

When I was in Kyoto in May I thought about checking out Nintendo HQ but decided against it because it would have been a bit too geeky for me.

Sho Nuff

Banned
SantaCruZer said:

I DON'T CARE IF WE HIRE YOU AS PLOGLAMMER, YOU WORK FROM BASEMENT ROUND-EYE!

tetsuoxb

SantaCruZer said:

They were claiming that they were the first foreigners into the music studio, but considering foreigners have worked at NCL, I seriously doubted those claims.

First foreign press, now that I could believe.

CoryCubed

Are there any buildings nearby you can get into? Maybe they'll have blinds or a window up and you can do some spy work. Throw a rock into obscure window and have camera ready maybe you'll catch something.

SantaC

tetsuoxb said:
They were claiming that they were the first foreigners into the music studio, but considering foreigners have worked at NCL, I seriously doubted those claims.

uh I meant press of course...my bad :p

CO_Andy

I remember a cute girl in Nintendo Power who got to meet Iwata & Miyamoto.

It might help if you're of the fairer sex.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I know a journalist who went there to see Super Metroid and Super M All Stars on SNES. He was super foreign. And he met Yokoi and Miyamoto.

I went two years ago with a friend, but we only got as far as inside the main gate and talked to the guard inside. I'm pretty sure that without a real reason to be there, you won't get any further, but it's worth a shot. Even getting as far (or little) as I did, I'm very glad to have been. It was a lot of fun in itself. I'll be in Japan for all next year, so I'll be giving it another try in the near future. :)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
PG2G said:
I was in Kyoto last week. I did go to a Nintendo HQ. Here are a couple pics.

nintendooutside2tt.jpg

nintendosign3og.jpg

Not quite the HQ I wanted to see :p Maybe if you're into history...

That is exactlt the HQ I want to see.. I mean the damn company started in the Meiji era... drool...

MarkMacD

SantaCruZer said:

No. They did say we were the only ones in certain rooms, the sound studio or whatever. Yippee.

tetsuoxb

MarkMacD said:
No. They did say we were the only ones in certain rooms, the sound studio or whatever. Yippee.

Yeah, the only thing is that while Nintendo's reps might have said that to make the EGM guys feel special, I can almost guarantee that they meant first foreign press into those rooms.

I can't imagine Dylan Cuthbert or Giles Goddard never once visiting the sound studio during the production of their games at NCL.

Top Bottom