• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Nintendo first-party game are worth their price?

angrod14

They virtually have no sales on the eShop. Every six months or so some of them MAYBE drop 10 dollars in price; not much of a sale if you ask me.

I understand it's a business decision and I respect the fact they don't want to "devaluate" their software. But come on guys, these aren't 60 dollars games. They get away with selling at that price because people pay either way, but the game themselves don't really make me feel they're worth that much money.

I can see why an Uncharted, a God of War, or any other Sony IP could ask for that price. And those get discounted into oblivion. I can even see something like Gears being worth that much. The production quality is insane and the amount of shit going on in those games is unbelievable. You can tell they're expensive to make.

Nintendo games, on the other hand, are cute, creative, they have a lot of charm, I give you that. But fuck do I find it annoying have to pay 60 dollars to make sidescroller Mario bump some boxes with his head in 2D, in this archeological hardware. Fuck that. I know you can buy used but I don't really like to deal with cartridges.

Oh and now they went full Disney with the "vault" shit. Want this lame ass port of three classic games released a century ago? Gotta buy them now because they're leaving in six months. What the actual hell. If that becomes a trend for them I'm out for good.

MAtgS

giphy.gif

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nintendo games have strong resale value unlike everyone else, so the answer is of course.

Not sure what budget has to do with it? Big budgets don’t mean big quality.

ZoukGalaxy

Yes, at least, they release their game relatively polished, not unfinished with a warning before release that a D1 one patch is mandatory.
Fuck all devs and publishers doing that.

cat middle finger GIF by sneakyshapes

TexMex

It’s just false that they have “virtually no sales on the eshop.” They do, both physically and digitally, relatively often. They just had multiple first party games on sale for the holiday for $40. That may not be as big of a sale as you want but to say that they never go on sale from MSRP isn’t true at all.

If you want to pay a quid per hour of a campaign then no. If you value your time and want fun you keep coming back to then they are a bargain.

Some are, some aren't.

I'm very budget conscious. I got super mario wonder from walmart.com and sold the cards it came with and the game and broke even.

Bought Mario RPG on ebay which ended up being an other region copy but sold it for more than I paid actually and lost less than 10 bucks to enjoy the game.

Gamefly's $10.something budget plan looks like a good deal. I don't mind waiting a month for stuff. I have that in mind for Princess Peach if i feel like waiting

Astral Dog

Yes

I simply skip the ones im not interested in, wich are some of of what i call 'filler' games,(such as sport stuff) and the most casual, Animal Crossing for example wich i don't like or Pokemon wich i don't play anymore.

Nintendo has produced many of my favorite games and i value them, its that simple , there are times when i wish they become cheaper like on other platforms,but i don't question their business model if they keep delivering the same quality and creativity

Also if im a fan of a certain third party developer/brand i don't mind supporting them even when they end up slashing the price later,Square Enix ,Capcom and Platinum Games make rad games

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Generally, sure. I buy a lot of them.

There are some questionable ones though. Sometimes they will try cheaper prices like WarioWare games.

calistan

Selling games at full price for years is a huge part of their brand. Sure, they could reduce the prices after a few months like everyone else, and hope for a short-term sales boost, but then they would just be ordinary games.

It's a Nintendo game, it costs this much, and it will still cost the same in three or four years' time. They're a consumer-focused everyday luxury brand, like Apple.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For my taste most of the are worth the price, I cant say the same about Sony first party games this gen.

For me "high tech graphics" have irrelevant if the game is worth full price or not.....This year Armored Core VI is not very "high tech" but worth every penny because of the quality of the actual game.

Last edited:
Some of them are worth it.

Most of them are not.

They were much more sensible in 3ds era so I suspect Switch’s success has something to do with it.

Scotty W

Gold Member
They virtually have no sales on the eShop. Every six months or so some of them MAYBE drop 10 dollars in price; not much of a sale if you ask me.
First party prices are ludicrous on the e-shop, though third party gets good discounts.

Physical is a different story, at least in Japan. I bought TotK new and got 5 months out of it. I waited 2 months to get Mario RPG and the price went down 20$.

tmlDan

no, not switch games, they are too expensive for what they offer to me and the quality of graphics/tech they provide. Only one that's worth it was Zelda and i don't like Tears or Botw.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I mean, at least day one buyers don't need to feel like idiots for not waiting until the price drop.

kiphalfton

If I can buy it, play it, and turn around and sell for >2/3 of what I paid that's alright with me.

Paying $50-$60 for a digital game, lmao yeah right.

Last edited:

Deerock71

I'd say the free market dictates their price, and they're probably a bargain based off their sales numbers.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The ones I buy are.

kunonabi

Most of their switch output isn't but generally Nintendo first-party stuff is worth it. Much more so than a bunch of glorified interactive movies or bloated copy/paste open-world games at the very least.

That said Switch software sells like crazy at my work so they would be silly to drop the prices.

Ozzie666

Mostly yes, with some exceptions.

I really give Nintendo credit for maintaing value of their games in general. Yes the prices rarely go down, with a few exceptions. Which is good for people who trade their games in. Nintendo does the reverse of AAA companies like Ubisoft. Nintendo continues to make profit for older games and reasonable margins, Mario Kart and the tentpole titles being examples.

Masters of increasing the perception of value in the market and prestige for their titles. Magicians really, Sony and Microsoft wish they could pull this off, any company wishes they could do this to the same level. Nintendo is the king of their own eco system, it just works. Will they continue the same aggressive 'price fixing' with $70 games?

Zannegan

For my own tastes? Depends on the game, but that's true of any game from any publisher. When it comes to the market though, this kind of answers your own question:
They get away with selling at that price because people pay either way

With that said, the idea that games like God of War, Uncharted, or Gears are somehow more worth their asking price because they have better production values is laughable. It's a purely audio-visual argument that leaves gameplay out of the equation. If that were the case, a beautiful linear slog like The Order 1886 would be remembered as game its generation while Demons and Dark Souls would be considered bargain bin material.

All other things being equal, better graphics make a game better, and more power makes a console more valuable. The problem is, all other things are not equal. Power and production values are nowhere near the top determiners of value or quality for most people, nor should they be.

Last edited:
usually they are, not always

btw when you're looking at nintendo games that sold millions vs other games that sold millions remember they are doing that without the usual steep discounts, that's all cash moneys

Chastten

Banned
Oh and now they went full Disney with the "vault" shit. Want this lame ass port of three classic games released a century ago? Gotta buy them now because they're leaving in six months. What the actual hell. If that becomes a trend for them I'm out for good.

What exactly is 'now' about this? This happened exactly once, years ago, and that was a compilation of a few old games you can play everywhere. Stop getting your panties in a twist. Also, if it's a 'lame ass port' you should be glad Nintendo prevented you from wasting money on it.

Anyways, to answer the other quest: most are, some are not.

As a consumer, I don't care how much a game costs to make. I don't care about how much marketing budget is spent on a title. I don't care how inclusive a game is. All of that stuff is irrelevant.

The only thing I care about is, is how much enjoyment I'm getting out of a game. And that's where Nintendo usually delivers. Sure, they have the occasional dud, but mostly I think their games are pure fun and more than worthy of their asking price.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
What are you talking about OP?

Nintendo make the best games on the market. And have done for many many years. That their games can still be sold at full price years later tells you all you need to know.

Top Bottom