• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is skipping Gamescom 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
Gamescom-2024-Nintendo-Absage-1504.jpg

Nintendo will not participate in the annual Gamescom, which has already been described by Germany's Federal Association of Interactive Entertainment Software as "one of the most popular ever." The Cologne trade fair attracted more than 320,000 visitors in 2023, and this year's pre-sales hint at another record-breaking event; nevertheless, the Japanese giant has decided not to return to Germany, in what by the way has been dubbed as the possible unveiling period for its new console.

Source in German

Buggy Loop

Nintendo doesn't have to drop price of console, nor price of their games, they don't need public showcases, can drop remasters at full price, ridiculous online service

And they get away with it, with massive sales

Must be frustrating for Sony & Microsoft

Nintendo is so Nintendo that they don't need to advertise they are Nintendo.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

I live near Cologne and still have no intention of going. Way too many kids who actually go there just to meet YouTube influencers I’ve never heard of.

I'm pretty sure the Switch 2 will first be shown in a "Very special Nintendo Direct!" lol
They’ve never announced new hardware in a Direct. So if so that would be a first for them. They use Directs as a vehicle for software announcements. They mark hardware announcements with other special occasions

Last edited:
Nintendo has nothing until 2025, it sucks
I mean there are certainly unannounced games for second half of 2024. Exhibiting at Gamescom or not doesn’t really have anything to do with that. Their presence at Gamescom last year was completely unnoteworthy. All that came out of it was chit chat of Nintendo showing Switch 2 tech demos behind closed doors.

Last edited:
It will absolutely be shown first at their own event. But that wouldn't have prevented them bringing it to Gamescom as well.

Hopefully they announce their 2024 H2 line-up soon.
Gotta be May or June. June would be typical. I’m guessing at this point that things are lining up for them to start talking Switch 2/ final year of Switch around the timing of the 5/7 financial earnings. That would make sense.

Nintendo is normally pretty quiet before a big Direct/ announcement. But these past 6-8 weeks have been like hauntingly silent. It’s as if they are going out of their way to not announce or say anything about like, anything. Haven’t had a trailer for Luigi’s Mansion 2 since September. Paper Mario TTYD hasn’t had a trailer since then, either. Other than the storybook opener 2 weeks ago. And clearly they have unannounced games for 2H that could possibly include Metroid Prime 4/ Zelda remakes/ remasters

Last edited:

Kurotri

Unfortunately, Gamescom has become unusable. Way too full, too long waiting times. And then the overly expensive and terrible food put an end to the show.
Yea. I went once because I was always curious, even as a kid. Was like a goal of mine, back when it was called Games Convention (I think?). Massive disappointment and waste of time.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Yea. I went once because I was always curious, even as a kid. Was like a goal of mine, back when it was called Games Convention (I think?). Massive disappointment and waste of time.
Yes, when it was still in Leipzig it was called Games Convention. And you visited the better version of the fair.

TVexperto

I went to Games Convention! It was in Leipzig not in Cologne and it was so much better ... less queue times, more friendly and less focused on twitch streamers

so happy i bought a switch oled, got sick of tired of "switch 2 is just around the corner" for several years now

I pulled the trigger on a Steam Deck OLED too, gonna be moving all my indie and third party pickups to that (along with a number of PC exclusives of course). Switch has just gone on for way too long at this point and there's not a single compelling piece of first party software officially on the way at the moment (Paper Mario remake looks alright but I can live without it). I'll get a Switch 2 whenever it comes but at this point I'm shifting gears a bit.

Hudo

They're prepping for Switch 2, which will have its own event because why the fuck would they want to share the spotlight for a product launch?

Last edited:
They're prepping for Switch 2, which will have its own event because why the fuck would they want to share the spotlight for a product launch?
If it's not launching until 2024, there wouldn't be an event for it in 2024. Why would they have a big event prior to the year-end sales season for a product that's not coming out until the following year?

The Switch event wasn't until 7 weeks before launch, in January 2017. None of this has anything to do with Gamescom. They've skipped 4 out of the last 5 years, this is nothing new. Even last year when they "returned to Gamescom", their presence was completely insignificant and didn't have any unreleased games at their booth. All that happened was the chatter that came out weeks later about how they were showing off Switch 2 tech demos behind closed doors.

Last edited:
yeah but in 2025 you will get to play remastered games from years past for retail!
I dont expect there to be a simple 9.99 upgrade fee patch. Nintendo will just probably re-releases titles at full cost.
Well that's what they did for every single Switch port of a Wii U or 3DS game for the entire lifespan of the Switch, so clearly that model works for them. They sell the rereleases to the tune of tens of millions each. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think that new console is releasing in Q1 2025 anymore.
If it's Q1 2025, which I think is at least 50% likely, (other 50% is Q2 prior to June), they don't need to talk about it at all until practically the end of the calendar year. And then do the big press conference in January, and then release in early March. There is no need to sell us all on a system in mid or Q3 2024 for a product that is 6-8 months away. They'll focus on Switch hardware bundles and discounted Switch software this year, along with some lighter new releases to fill out the release calendar.

nial

Gold Member
If it's Q1 2025, which I think is at least 50% likely, (other 50% is Q2 prior to June), they don't need to talk about it at all until practically the end of the calendar year. And then do the big press conference in January, and then release in early March. There is no need to sell us all on a system in mid or Q3 2024 for a product that is 6-8 months away. They'll focus on Switch hardware bundles and discounted Switch software this year, along with some lighter new releases to fill out the release calendar.
If they miss their Q1 target, I think they will go straight to November since Q2/Q3 are very unusual periods for new system releases (last time for Nintendo were the N64 and GameCube).
Q1 on the other hand is quite common to see; you have GBA, 3DS, Switch, PSVR2, and the Japanese release dates for PS2 and PS4 (heck, even PSVR1 was originally targeting a March launch).

Emedan

If they miss their Q1 target, I think they will go straight to November since Q2/Q3 are very unusual periods for new system releases (last time for Nintendo were the N64 and GameCube).
Q1 on the other hand is quite common to see; you have GBA, 3DS, Switch, PSVR2, and the Japanese release dates for PS2 and PS4 (heck, even PSVR1 was originally targeting a March launch).
No way, Q1 already too late. It has to be set by now.

Hudo

If it's not launching until 2024, there wouldn't be an event for it in 2024. Why would they have a big event prior to the year-end sales season for a product that's not coming out until the following year?

The Switch event wasn't until 7 weeks before launch, in January 2017. None of this has anything to do with Gamescom. They've skipped 4 out of the last 5 years, this is nothing new. Even last year when they "returned to Gamescom", their presence was completely insignificant and didn't have any unreleased games at their booth. All that happened was the chatter that came out weeks later about how they were showing off Switch 2 tech demos behind closed doors.
If they're prepping for Switch 2, it doesn't make sense to take part in Gamescom, tho. There's really nothing to be gained here for them.

Top Bottom