• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo might begin using 64GB Switch carts in 2020, later than expected.

Macronix will manufacture 48-layer 3D NAND memory in the second half of 2020, said Miin Wu, the chairman of the company, during a press conference dedicated to Macronix’s 30th anniversary. The company then plans to start shipments of 96-layer 3D NAND in 2021 and 192-layer 3D NAND in 2022. At present, the most advanced technology used by the firm to make NAND is its planar 19 nm technology that has been in use since February, 2019.
The first customer for this memory, in turn, will be Nintendo. Which is an interesting development, as it was widely reported in 2018 that Nintendo's efforts to produce 64GB Switch game cards were delayed due to technical issues. To date, Nintendo still hasn't shipped 64GB cards, so this may be the development Nintendo has been waiting for to finally make 64GB cards available.

---

Larger carts were planned to be available to third-party developers in 2019 but that did not materialize, either.

I haven't kept a close eye on the total size of Switch games so far, but larger carts is definitely a good thing.

tkscz

I thought cart cost caused a lack of interest in the 64GB carts. I mean, it feels a bit late to get started on putting out 64GB carts though.

Ar¢tos

And when 64GB carts are available gamers will get games in a 16GB cart and be forced to download a 40GB patch...

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
And when 64GB carts are available gamers will get games in a 16GB cart and be forced to download a 40GB patch...
I haven't seen this much on the Switch, if at all?

Do you have any examples?

Most games on the Switch are under 16GB; I think the largest I've seen so far is ~20GB for a base install

Ar¢tos

I haven't seen this much on the Switch, if at all?

Do you have any examples?

Most games on the Switch are under 16GB; I think the largest I've seen so far is ~20GB for a base install
I said it because publishers already use 16gb instead of 32gb and force downloads because of the price of the cartridge, imagine with 64gb... Only really big games from AAA devs (and those arent common on the switch).

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I said it because publishers already use 16gb instead of 32gb and force downloads because of the price of the cartridge, imagine with 64gb... Only really big games from AAA devs (and those arent common on the switch).
Right, do you have any examples of that on the Switch?
Most games are under 16GB; http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/nintendo_switch_game_file_sizes?start=120

Compared to the rest of the library (Granted a bunch of it could be considered shovelware or just shit) there's not many games ABOVE 16GB; Spyro, PoE, LoZ:BotW, Fifa....

EDIT: And I think the largest patch I've seen is like 1GB...though depending on the game those can stack up over time

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Right, do you have any examples of that on the Switch?
Most games are under 16GB; http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/nintendo_switch_game_file_sizes?start=120

Compared to the rest of the library (Granted a bunch of it could be considered shovelware or just shit) there's not many games ABOVE 16GB; Spyro, PoE, LoZ:BotW, Fifa....
Devs rather cut content or ultra compress sound/video to fit the 16gb then use a 32gb cartridge, so no surprise that there aren't many games bigger than 16gb...

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Devs rather cut content or ultra compress sound/video to fit the 16gb then use a 32gb cartridge, so no surprise that there aren't many games bigger than 16gb...
Well, that also has to do with the power of the Tegra processor they have in there, not always so much a storage issue

I'm pretty sure that most of the physical carts are the 16GB model or below; I'd have to ask some specific people if they've seen the 32GB one, but I expect that to be incredibly rare

Sniffing around some specific communities, we've never seen any huge downloads REQUIRED to make the game run, unless it's something like Square making FFX-2 a separate download from the FFX cart(Which is not exclusive to the Switch, Square did the same practice on PS4)

I think you may just be mentioning the practice in general, which yeah, sucks, but in my experience, due to the hardware and storage limitations of the Switch, this is RARELY done on the platform, and is usually done by a third party dev/pub.
Any first party Ninty cart I drop in my Switch, runs, even if I skip the day one or other subsequent patches.

Top Bottom