• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Pennant Chase, looking very good as well as unique features

Li Mu Bai

Banned
http://media.cube.ign.com/media/726/726617/vids_1.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1711

Ok, well, back to the gameplay. Pennant Chase offers a wide array of modes, including the aforementioned Speed Mode, but also Rookie of the Year mode, which offers a full season of baseball goodness. One of the more interesting aspects of Rookie of the Year mode is that it actually plays more like a hybrid RPG/ baseball simulation. During the course of the season, we saw that a player earns Rookie of the Year points, which can be used to enhance a player's statistics in the game.

This way, it's easy to build a dream team of micro-managed players. Of course, we found that Pennant Chase can automatically attribute Rookie of the Year points, since micro managing does take quite a bit of time. Then there's the Home Field Evolution mode, where we could upgrade our own personal stadium. The game offers some 25 items with which to trick out a stadium. Pennant Chase literally granted us the opportunity to turn a lowly sandlot into a massive field complete with bleachers, grass, signs and lights; pretty much everything.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/614/614826p1.html

I'll be trying this one out, nice camera angles as well. Don't have to leave sim games to chance is also an a+. Gameplay looks solid as well. (haven't tried it out yet)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Sounds like a scaled down version of both MLB and MVP as far as the "features" go. Hope it plays ok. Wonder why they've gone so late with this one?

swoon

Musashi Wins! said:
Sounds like a scaled down version of both MLB and MVP as far as the "features" go. Hope it plays ok. Wonder why they've gone so late with this one?

it sounds more like any jpn baseball game than a western baseball game though.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
swoon said:
it sounds more like any jpn baseball game than a western baseball game though.

How so?

I believe this is a Western team, who used to develop for Sega Sports. Or at least some of them are.

I think some of you will be happier with Mario Baseball (Namco makes those sort of baseball games), I do believe this is attempting to be a sim.

swoon

Musashi Wins! said:
How so?

I believe this is a Western team, who used to develop for Sega Sports. Or at least some of them are.

I think some of you will be happier with Mario Baseball (Namco makes those sort of baseball games), I do believe this is attempting to be a sim.

the batting interface and the features are straight ripped from a konami baseball game from last year.

ph_1_a_zi.jpg

nintendo-pennant-chase-baseball-20050405105253916.jpg

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Very true Swoon, (I've yet to see the baserunners, but I'm sure they're there) though this certainly does not mean identical mechanics. Did you play this Konami game? PC has both sim & arcadey type styles.

Why would you say this Musashi? Nintendo fans automatically dislike sims now? Madden numbers say otherwise. And looking back, Ken Griffey jr. was the best.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Li Mu Bai said:
Why would you say this Musashi? Nintendo fans automatically dislike sims now? Madden numbers say otherwise. And looking back, Ken Griffey jr. was the best.

No, not at all. I hope it's a superb sim! I'm saying don't discount it as one to those saying they hope it's Baseball Stars (a game I love) and sims are shit! This is a good team working on this if the original reports were accurate. The more good baseball games the better! Of all types!

john tv

swoon said:
the batting interface and the features are straight ripped from a konami baseball game from last year.
Except the Konami game looks way better. What is it with Nintendo and the half-assed sports games, anyway? Why even bother?

Amir0x

Banned
I scaled the walls of n-sider (*shudder*) to see if they put up that interview yet, and they had a bit about Mario Baseball. Basically the jist of it was that it's very stripped down in most of its features for simplicity and "easy to jump into" gameplay", because he spends the entire article comparing it to R.B.I. Baseball.

[url=http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=day&date=2005-05-26#842]N-Sider[/url] said:
First off, this is arcade baseball here. No crazy batting scheme, no sliders, curves, and change-ups to memorize. To use an old baseball adage: see the ball, hit the ball. In this, and many other aspects, Mario Baseball for GCN is plays much like the old NES favorite, R.B.I. Baseball.

E3MarioBaseball.jpg

Seems like it might be fun, although I'm more a fan of the "sim" type baseball games myself.

john tv

It should play similar to RBI Baseball; in Japan it's called Super Mario Stadium, whereas RBI was Family Stadium. And both were developed by Namco.

Amir0x

Banned
john tv said:
It should play similar to RBI Baseball; in Japan it's called Super Mario Stadium, whereas RBI was Family Stadium. And both were developed by Namco.

Well, that makes sense then.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I'm not seeing "the way better" aspect, but it's definitely sharper. But PCB compared to its NA contemporaries? Anyhow, anyone have any hands-on experience again? I'm not one to pass judgment prematurely before at least giving it a run.

mosaic

go eat paint
I played this at E3 and thought it sucked, hard.

I was swinging late, the ball obviously going behind the batter, and knocking out doubles and triples. It was crazy to swing and feel certain I was going to get called for a swinging strike, and then to see it transition to the field viewpoint. Haven't knocked in runs like that since Microsoft put out a baseball game. I do like the way the pitch-meter curves around the mound at least... and the "sweet spots" didn't seem as unforgiving as the ones in MVP or MLB.

The graphics are eh... players are a little too fat... animation was choppy.... it seemed sharp though. Stadiums are very detailed and accurate, but their externals are missing a lot of details or are just plain wrong. In Seattle, for instance, all of the buildings in the downtown area (basically from center to left) are correct, but they didn't put in any of the buildings that are visible south of the Uwajimaya complex... no buildings on Beacon Hill, no I-5, etc.

The commentary was GARBAGE. Seattle broadcaster Rick Rizzs has the play by play and former M's manager Bob Melvin has the color. They're both stiff stiff stiff, and repeat themselves a lot. Rizzs sounds like he's reading monotone from a script. Bob Melvin is worse--he sounds like a 9-year-old reading early Hooked On Phonics lessons.

I sincerely hope the build at E3 was very early and that a lot will be fixed, particularly the commentary. If not, lord help anyone who purchases it.

Amir0x

Banned
Holy Christ, that sounds horrible. I, uh, hope it's at least as good as the Tennis/Golf games when it comes out. That'd make it a good 20 dollar purchase down the line.

mosaic

go eat paint
Just so we're clear -- my impressions were of Pennant Chase Baseball.

Mario Baseball, on the other hand, was pretty damn fun from what I played, and obviously deserves more slack since it's an arcade-style game. Sure was a lot less choppy than Pennant Chase was, however.

Atari2600

Too dumb for the internet
I second Mosaic's opinion on this one. That game was a trainwreck. Ugly as sin, horrible animation, a bat that never seemed to make contact with the ball...blah.

mosaic

go eat paint
Atari2600 said:
I second Mosaic's opinion on this one. That game was a trainwreck. Ugly as sin, horrible animation, a bat that never seemed to make contact with the ball...blah.
Shouldn't you be writing? ;)

Amir0x

Banned
mosaic said:
Just so we're clear -- my impressions were of Pennant Chase Baseball.

Mario Baseball, on the other hand, was pretty damn fun from what I played, and obviously deserves more slack since it's an arcade-style game. Sure was a lot less choppy than Pennant Chase was, however.

Yeah, I know. You see, I'm not a big fan of any of Nintendo's sports titles, but find most of them ok for 20 bucks. I was hoping Pennant would fall in line with Nintendo's Mario Tennis/Golf games in being worth 20 bucks down the line, but...*sigh* sounds horrible.

Ulairi

Banned
john tv said:

RBI baseball is pure greatness!

From what I played this game seems pretty good.

MacGuffin

I agree with the above posters about Baseball Stars. I played the second one so much that I think I discoverd a glitch allowing you to purchase any pitcher you want from the get-go. I've never seen it covered on any game site.

That was a great game adn certainly one of the ports I hope that Nintendo can secure for the Revolution.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Damn...well I guess that's why PCB keeps getting delayed. At this point....it doesn't make much sense. Just get Mario Baseball out.

Top Bottom