• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 May Feature an OLED Display by Samsung; Could Release Earlier Than Expected

Bernoulli

M2 slut
The Nintendo Switch 2 may feature an OLED display produced by Samsung, according to a new online report from Korea.

The new report, which was posted on news site Chosun Biz, revealed how Nintendo is reportedly in talks with Samsung Display to to supply next-generation OLED panels for various IT devices. These talks are pretty recent, as they apparently started on December 1st and were pretty much forced by the accusation of display maker BOE having allegedly gotten hold of Samsung's OLED trade secrets.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
On Dec. 1, 2023, Nintendo reportedly asked Samsung Display to supply OLED panels.

The OLED display is a ‘self-luminous display’ using organic materials that self-illuminate when a current flows through them.

Both companies initially considered Chinese electronic components producer BOE as a supplier.

However, analysts say that they switched to Samsung due to the risk of damages from a patent infringement lawsuit filed by Samsung Display.

In June 2023, Samsung Display filed a patent infringement lawsuit against BOE in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.

tkscz

On Dec. 1, 2023, Nintendo reportedly asked Samsung Display to supply OLED panels.

The OLED display is a ‘self-luminous display’ using organic materials that self-illuminate when a current flows through them.

Both companies initially considered Chinese electronic components producer BOE as a supplier.

However, analysts say that they switched to Samsung due to the risk of damages from a patent infringement lawsuit filed by Samsung Display.

In June 2023, Samsung Display filed a patent infringement lawsuit against BOE in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas.

Yeah if there is anything Nintendo is known for looking at their history, it's doing ANYTHING to dodge a law suit. I can see that being true.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I can see Nintendo repeating a Spring release for Switch 2. The double dip of Spring and then holiday sales worked really well for the Switch. They'd just need a strong launch game and a strong holiday release to provide the burst.
Agreed - spring is the best time to release new hardware. The PS5 and XSX were seriously kneecapped releasing in November in such limited quantities that it took them nearly a year to just start picking up speed. Not exactly their fault (global pandemic / chip shortage), but I still think they would have been better off either releasing earlier or waiting til the following spring.

Shut0wen

I can see Nintendo repeating a Spring release for Switch 2. The double dip of Spring and then holiday sales worked really well for the Switch. They'd just need a strong launch game and a strong holiday release to provide the burst.
Same, i reckon itll be may next year, april the earliest and dump mario kart 9 for october just in time for there bundles

yankee666

So the Sharp LCD production for the "upcoming Console" was fo the PLAYSTATION PORTAL??, i didnt see anywhere a confirmation of this but.......

for reference
SHARP supplying LCD

Oled is the way to go,
maybe a foldable OLED? , nah thats too much

Shut0wen

Suddenly switch successor is expected to have a OLED screen again. Impressive how all switch leaks somehow contradict each other.
My thoughts exactly, tbf nintendo has always been great with there hardware lasting years but with the switch tge minute they stop selling joy cons the console is literally fucked, why change when it makes money

Agreed - spring is the best time to release new hardware. The PS5 and XSX were seriously kneecapped releasing in November in such limited quantities that it took them nearly a year to just start picking up speed. Not exactly their fault (global pandemic / chip shortage), but I still think they would have been better off either releasing earlier or waiting til the following spring.

Yeah the pandemic threw everything off but I also feel like both, particularly Sony, underestimated the demand at launch for their systems. MS didn't have any launch exclusives aside Falconeer so I can understand to a degree with them. But Sony had several...granted they also had TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima launch earlier in the year and might've thought PS4 owners would have been a bit more contempt with holding on for a little while longer.

At least until some time in 2021.

Same, i reckon itll be may next year, april the earliest and dump mario kart 9 for october just in time for there bundles

I just hope Nintendo's games aren't cross-gen. It'd be nice to have a 1P showcase for the new system at or near launch, even if the system itself is obviously going to be weaker than a PS5 or Series X.

Suddenly switch successor is expected to have a OLED screen again. Impressive how all switch leaks somehow contradict each other.

Gaming leaks always contradict each other for a while especially with new consoles. But something like changing the screen type is a lot more flexible than, say, changing the amount of ROPs or TMUs in the GPU, or suddenly adjusting the number of shaders.

Those types of changes are costly and time-consuming so they're both harder to get info on ahead of reveal, and tend to stay consistent among rumors once word starts to get out.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The Nintendo Switch 2 may feature an OLED display produced by Samsung, according to a new online report from Korea.

The new report, which was posted on news site Chosun Biz, revealed how Nintendo is reportedly in talks with Samsung Display to to supply next-generation OLED panels for various IT devices. These talks are pretty recent, as they apparently started on December 1st and were pretty much forced by the accusation of display maker BOE having allegedly gotten hold of Samsung's OLED trade secrets.

PLEASE actually be true.

if this happened it'd send a message throughout the entirety of the handheld gaming industry for OLED to become standard in every new device released 2024 onwards.

I think there could be a high end OLED SKU because people will be expecting one now. But it would be expensive and Nintendo needs some version of the next-gen Switch to be mass market priced (no higher than $399).

Moses85

My Uncle who works at Nintendo

Jim Carrey Lol GIF

Shut0wen

Yeah the pandemic threw everything off but I also feel like both, particularly Sony, underestimated the demand at launch for their systems. MS didn't have any launch exclusives aside Falconeer so I can understand to a degree with them. But Sony had several...granted they also had TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima launch earlier in the year and might've thought PS4 owners would have been a bit more contempt with holding on for a little while longer.

At least until some time in 2021.

I just hope Nintendo's games aren't cross-gen. It'd be nice to have a 1P showcase for the new system at or near launch, even if the system itself is obviously going to be weaker than a PS5 or Series X.

Gaming leaks always contradict each other for a while especially with new consoles. But something like changing the screen type is a lot more flexible than, say, changing the amount of ROPs or TMUs in the GPU, or suddenly adjusting the number of shaders.

Those types of changes are costly and time-consuming so they're both harder to get info on ahead of reveal, and tend to stay consistent among rumors once word starts to get out.
Isnt nintendo like 3 years ahead with games? Fire emblem enage was completed in 2020 and mario thousand door was completed in 2021, support for the switch 2 wont be effected at all and nintendo will support the switch for some time

Deerock71

I still think it will and they will release the OLED later, this is Nintendo we are talking about lol.

We will see...
That might hold water if it weren't for the fact the Switch OLED is the overall best-selling Switch since it launched, and it had a higher price tag from the get-go.

Anyhoo...time to start planning out my tax return spending...

Last edited:

blacktout

They already said it would not have an OLED.

Nintendo hasn't said anything about the Switch 2. They haven't even confirmed that it exists. Everything we've heard so far has been rumors, leaks, and speculation.

Some of what we've heard may very well turn out to be true, but absolutely nothing is official yet.

So what you're talking about is just an old rumor conflicting with a new rumor. Either could turn out to be bullshit, or the old rumor could have been true at the time and Nintendo's plans changed.

Stafford

As someone who doesn't give a fuck about handheld gaming.....I'm gonna prepare for some bad news whether this will be significantly more powerful than Switch or not. I mean if this thing is getting a OLED screen? Guess we'll see.

That might hold water if it weren't for the fact the Switch OLED is the overall best-selling Switch since it launched, and it had a higher price tag from the get-go.

Anyhoo...time to start planning out my tax return spending...
Doesn't matter, the oled launched after the og switch of course people are going to buy the oled over the og model now.

Nintendo would make more money by releasing the lcd model first than the oled later. That's the only reason I think they go that route, companies will always go with the option to make more money.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
They always talking with 'everyone' about better deals. Normal company. Doesn't mean anything.
Edit: hopefully it will be HDR😂

Last edited:
Isnt nintendo like 3 years ahead with games? Fire emblem enage was completed in 2020 and mario thousand door was completed in 2021, support for the switch 2 wont be effected at all and nintendo will support the switch for some time

Well I heard about them saying TOTK was "practically done" a year before it came out but they spent the extra time polishing it. So, what you're saying might have some weight to it.

But I still think if it means speeding up adaption to Switch 2, they wouldn't mind cutting out Switch versions from the schedule. I was really talking about newer-developed titles though, games that would've maybe started development in 2020 or even 2021 to prepare for a Switch 2 in 2024.

Wasn't there a youtube video of a guy that kept the same image on a Switch OLED for weeks, with pretty much minimal burn-in?

Haven't heard of them? Anyone have a link?

Nah, they will release with lcd only at first, then double dip with oled later, or they might have 2 models at launch, but it’s unlikely due to costs

If they can't procure enough OLED screens (they just started the negotiations 3 days ago) for the presumably April launch date, then releasing the LCD model first followed by an OLED model in November 2024 is a smart business plan.

Its not if the hardware is ready its the games. What are Ninty gonna release with the switch 2, a 3d mario and metroid prime 4 would be day 1 purchase.

Zathalus

Will my steam deck oled going to be able to emulate this 😜
No chance. Two reasons, first reason the deck won't be powerful enough and secondly I think with the failures of the Switch security (due to a flaw with Tegra) the Switch 2 is going to be locked down tight and won't be emulated for years, if at all.

Sleepwalker

Well I heard about them saying TOTK was "practically done" a year before it came out but they spent the extra time polishing it. So, what you're saying might have some weight to it.

But I still think if it means speeding up adaption to Switch 2, they wouldn't mind cutting out Switch versions from the schedule. I was really talking about newer-developed titles though, games that would've maybe started development in 2020 or even 2021 to prepare for a Switch 2 in 2024.

Haven't heard of them? Anyone have a link?
Its wulff den on youtube cant get you the link atm but wulf den switch burn in should bring it up

coffinbirth

Seems a little late in the game to still be locking down component deals if they plan on releasing "early next year". This probably means an OLED variant is coming sooner than later after launch, if I had to guess.

Top Bottom