• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
You can't be serious? Most hardware reviews say "don't buy hardware" I feel like. Didn't Kotaku say "no" to PS4 or X1? Seriously, this is pointless. I already know I'm getting a system and games are selling the systems.
Absolutely. I'm starting to think many people here didn't read hardware reviews for other consoles

Scrawnton

Ign is hilarious as always, they were jerking off on the console until the last voice chat lol

That .7 tho
Like I said earlier, Vince reviewed the hardware while the Nintendo crew were reviewing the games. There's not much to the hardware so of course it would score low, especially without a day one patch.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kind of weird to see a bunch of work in progress reviews that are waiting on nintendos online stuff when nintendos own whole online service is a work in progress. Probably worth pointing that out in reviews but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, kotaku was the only one that really mentioned knowing absolutely nothing about what the online plan actually is

Skyzard

Banned
IGN review sounds like it ignores people that like to play handhelds at home.

That's the main benefit of the Switch imo.

-I can understand their points otherwise though, not everyone falls in the above camp.

I think IGN shouldve had Alanah Pearce review the switch as well. She posted on Twitter she spent over 50 hours playing Zelda on it, that seems like a better real world review, still say Nintendo shouldve loaded up the day 1 patch before reviews hit, thats dumb on their part.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure why people would expect good scores for a console so obviously lacking in extra functionalities besides playing games at this point.

graybot

IGN review sounds like it ignores people that like to play handhelds at home.

That's the main benefit of the Switch imo.

-I can understand their points otherwise though, not everyone falls in the above camp.

The guy who reviewed it, would be generally someone I would trust (except he liked that game evolve). I think he is a big Vita fan

He was clearly ask to put a score on the review either way. It will definitely go up once the patch is up

NSESN

So in the handheld side, it seems pretty positive, even about the battery life.
However in the home console side many are reluctant or even negative, with the power, online and Joy-con problems as main problems.
It's about I expected, maybe a little better on the handeald side.

dracula_x

Wall Street Journal: Nintendo Switch Review: Elegant (but Unready) Balance of Portable and Home Gaming - https://www.wsj.com/articles/ninten...alance-of-portable-and-home-gaming-1488376801

OG-AK950_PTECHG_G_20170228135305.gif

The Switch is the most polished, sturdy and grown-up hardware Nintendo has ever produced. Older Nintendo gear feels plasticky and toylike by comparison. That doesn't mean this new hardware is technically superior to other game systems, though. In terms of processing power, it doesn't measure up to the latest PlayStation and Xbox consoles, which offer high dynamic range, or HDR, gaming, 4K video streaming and far better graphics. But the difference is that Sony and Microsoft aren't looking beyond the living room—they want to keep gamers in their seats with their hair blown back.

If Nintendo delivers the exciting games promised, and even halfway decent online services that allow people to easily play together online, the Switch's versatility will make it a must-have console like the legendary original Wii. As of now, it's too early to tell. Nintendo needs to give us more to play.

Skyzard

Banned
Mmmh... yup, but I do not think it could be a selling point of it.

Yeah...probably not. But maybe? After playing more games on their tablet and phone people might be more open to the idea now... Probably not enough to sell gangbusters though.

The guy who reviewed it, would be generally someone I would trust (except he liked that game evolve). I think he is a big Vita fan

He was clearly ask to put a score on the review either way. It will definitely go up once the patch is up

Sounds like a smart guy. (Evolve was pretty great :p - at 60fps).

I don't think so. And if that's the case, it doesn't bode well for their OS if they need to minimise the number of updates for whatever reason.

I mean, why do two pre-launch bouts of final update testing when you can do one?

But yes, it is concerning that they haven't put out any notable system updates yet. Gonna be an onslaught of stuff the next 36 hours, that's for sure.

Pretty weird that Nintendo didn't give the journalists the update before they were able to review it. Makes me wonder if there actually will be a day one update, console launch is 2 days away.

mazillion

GameXplain is saying they and at least one other journalist are seeing an issue with BoTW/Battery not charging past 85% while in docked mode during gameplay, sounds annoying.

Scrawnton

Pretty weird that Nintendo didn't give the journalists the update before they were able to review it. Makes me wonder if there actually will be a day one update, console launch is 2 days away.
There's has to be a day update to sell you the eshop games. Not being there is not an option.

Absolutely not. They help me wherever to buy the hardware or not.

I feel like most of the info you get from a hardware review is readily available without actually needing the review. Most of it is just specs, which are easy to find, and I find they generally lack value unless the hardware has some super glaring flaw that makes it unusable

Copenap

Hardware reviews seem pointless. The day 1 patch isn't even there and all that matters are games which will come down the road lol
I don't know about that. The WiiU hardware really put me off with the cheap feeling build quality and terrobly slow OS. This made me play it way less then the games would have deserved.

NSESN

I think hardware reviews are more interesting than game reviews, as they are much less subjective. Scores however, i don't see why you need something like that for hardware.

I think IGN shouldve had Alanah Pearce review the switch as well. She posted on Twitter she spent over 50 hours playing Zelda on it, that seems like a better real world review, still say Nintendo shouldve loaded up the day 1 patch before reviews hit, thats dumb on their part.

Agreed. This does not favor them to allow these before the console was a little more fleshed out in its features.

Top Bottom