• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Survey

mCACGj

I got an email from Nintendo:

"We need your help to make Nintendo Wi-Fi a success! We'd like to learn about how our players connect to the internet so that we can create a better user experience for tyou when Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection games such as Animal Crossing launch on the Nintendo DS later this year.

We'd like to test your home networking setup and internet connection. In order to do thi, we would like you to download and install some software on your PC to run this test.

This program will run tests on your home network and internet connection and report the results to Nintendo's servers. No personally indentifiable information is collected or transmitted to Nintendo by this program.

After the test is complete, the program becomes an Animal Crossing-themed desktop clock"

I decided to go for it, and the Animal Crossing clock seems to be neat, though I plan on deleting it after the test is done.

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
Three main things for be a success:

1. Market it clearly that is a free online access for multiplayer gaming around the world and talk about the advantatges.

2. Remember the Linux users.

3. Remember the OS X users.

Chittagong

Gold Member
BigBrother1984_sml.gif

Interesting. I've seen an Animal Crossing clock before, but it was years back and I can't remember if it was an official thing from a Japanese site or a fan-made program.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seriously though, this doesn't give me a very professional view of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Three months into the release they are figuring this type of stuff out? I'm still waiting to see how their rhetoric of easiness becomes true, as well. How can it be easier than with PSP?

mCACGj

Nightbringer said:
Three main things for be a success:

1. Market it clearly that is a free online access for multiplayer gaming around the world and talk about the advantatges.

2. Remember the Linux users.

3. Remember the OS X users.

They do ask what operating system you are using, and they did give the option for OS users, but I'm not sure about Linux, I don't remember, but there is an 'other' to put Linux.

i bet it deletes all your roms!

gee, this clock looks just like the japanese one

edit: it looks EXACTLY LIKE the japanese one!

edit2: why does a network evaluation app not use up network traffic?

*checkz romz*

Nightbringer

Don´t hit me for my bad english plase
The Linux fans are like hysterical hypocrital bitches when you remember to them that they are bitches if DS has no support for Linux all the Linux media will do a brutal campaign against Nintendo because the lack of support for Linux.

You can ask Adobe for it.

suaveric

I don't get it, who cares about Linux or Apple? The DS isn't going to be using your computer to get online, just your router.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Chittagong said:
Seriously though, this doesn't give me a very professional view of Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Three months into the release they are figuring this type of stuff out? I'm still waiting to see how their rhetoric of easiness becomes true, as well. How can it be easier than with PSP?

but...nintendo wi-fi is gonna be awesome! i can throw a banana peel on the ground and cause a massive automobile accident in another part of the world

Kon Tiki

Banned
Nightbringer said:
The Linux fans are like hysterical hypocrital bitches when you remember to them that they are bitches if DS has no support for Linux all the Linux media will do a brutal campaign against Nintendo because the lack of support for Linux.

You can ask Adobe for it.
Ya I sure Nintendo cares about those 5 people.

Drensch

I just got this email.

It asks about linux and apple. What kind of router, if any and what kind of connection you have.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
For the MacGaffers:

Nintendo said:
Sorry, this test application will only run on a PC running Windows.

Even though you don't have the right setup for the test today, you'll still be able to play Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection games when they are released later this year. Keep checkingwww.Nintendo.com for more details about Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, launching this fall!

:)

jgkspsx

Results:
1st time 2nd time 3rd time 4th time 5th time
Connection start time 19:12:26 19:31:23 19:34:34 19:35:37 19:36:40
Cookie created by this program 894 26824 9846 5594 25867
Total connect time -ms -ms -ms -ms 30624ms

UPnP Information (Model Name)
UPnP Information (Model number)
Origination Code ACE_BUOMJGWLKOXPOYNW
Destination server host name ACC_NINTENDOSERVER01(server inside Nintendo)
Destination server Global IP address 60.36.162.109(server inside Nintendo)
CRC for sending data e199eb5b43d38ce52a3aa75bac9d1c45
It's hard to imagine exactly what they're gaining with this.

Oh, by the way, it was submitted to a nintendo.co.jp address. The clock/data collection program was made by NOJ.

For one, it doesn't seem to be working. After several minutes of doing whatever...

The Program said:
You cancelled the test before it was complete.
LIAR. Don't shift the blame.

For another, it doesn't provide a very full set of choices. For "How do you connect to the Internet?" it offers DSL, Cable Modem, and FTTH(optical fiber). As none of those cover a satellite connection and it doesn't allow for a write-in, (unknown) was the best choice.

BuzzJive

Chittagong said:

Yes - clearly it's ridiculous for Nintendo to have a survey for Nintendo.com registered users that are interested in Nintendo Wi-Fi. This is obviously the only thing they are doing to prepare for the launch. Three months won't even give them enough time to compile this survey data. They should really give up now.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
impirius said:
Awwwww, it chimes on the hour
heh, with my headphones on, I started hearing this *DING DONG DING DONG* and I was going wtf? :lol

Chittagong

Gold Member
BuzzJive said:
Yes - clearly it's ridiculous for Nintendo to have a survey for Nintendo.com registered users that are interested in Nintendo Wi-Fi. This is obviously the only thing they are doing to prepare for the launch. Three months won't even give them enough time to compile this survey data. They should really give up now.

It's a good idea to do a survey, but should be done before or during pre-production (i.e. sometime in 2004) to have any effect on anything.

The launch games and hardware is entering certification any day now if they wish to hit the November launch. Code and feature freeze, you know.

Besides, they are verifying so basic stuff that it makes you wonder what they actually do know about online gaming at this point.

Ruzbeh

Banned
So, I was gonna register at Nintendo.com. Then I found out that you have to be a resident of the USA or Canada. I just don't frickin' believe this shit.

Chittagong said:
Besides, they are verifying so basic stuff that it makes you wonder what they actually do know about online gaming at this point.

I'm sure they know plenty. I mean hell they've been experimenting with networking consoles since the mid 80's. If by now they can't get it right then something is terribly wrong over at Nintendo.

Ironclad

Got the email. Currently running through the test at the moment. The clock is cool. I like it.

Interesting survey though. What Chittagong says is correct. There is no way this will affect the wi-fi launch software.

DavidDayton said:
So, what happens if you say you connect with Linux or an Apple computer?

I'm on OS X. I honestly don't see there being a problem. Routers are the same all over. They all conform to the same standards. So it shouldn't be a problem regardless of router type (apple, non apple) and computer operating system.

The only forseeable problem is Nintendo's little USB adaptor thing, that might not work under OS X.

Chittagong

Gold Member
LegendofJoe said:
I'm sure they know plenty. I mean hell they've been experimenting with networking consoles since the mid 80's. If by now they can't get it right then something is terribly wrong over at Nintendo.

Agreed. With the time they've had, this better be the Star Road we've been dreaming of since year 2000.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Chittagong said:
Agreed. With the time they've had, this better be the Star Road we've been dreaming of since year 2000.
I agree as well. By the way, you won't believe how much I love your username. Pronouncing 'Chittagong' is real funny. :D

mj1108

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Got the email. Currently running through the test at the moment. The clock is cool. I like it.

Interesting survey though. What Chittagong says is correct. There is no way this will affect the wi-fi launch software.

It could be a way of trying to test out the infrastructure they have put into place now and seeing what kind of speeds people get (even if it is landline).

Ironclad

mj1108 said:
It could be a way of trying to test out the infrastructure they have put into place now and seeing what kind of speeds people get (even if it is landline).
Well, yeah. If there were some major problems though, it would greatly affect the launch. They'd have to push it back if they wanted it to run smoothly from the beginning.

mj1108

Ironclad_Ninja said:
Well, yeah. If there were some major problems though, it would greatly affect the launch. They'd have to push it back if they wanted it to run smoothly from the beginning.

Which is why they probably want to find out now (3 or so months before launch) than at launch and go through the problems Sony did with Twisted Metal online.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
LegendofJoe said:

But why would they partner with Gamespy?

Ironclad

mj1108 said:
Which is why they probably want to find out now (3 or so months before launch) than at launch and go through the problems Sony did with Twisted Metal online.
Yeah, exactly. Pushing back the launch is always better than sending it out untested and riddled with bugs.

hooo

boooy
Ruzbeh said:
So, I was gonna register at Nintendo.com. Then I found out that you have to be a resident of the USA or Canada. I just don't frickin' believe this shit.

... Why would Nintendo.com allow any one other that North American's to register? That's the customer base that they serve.

I'd assume that this whole test is just them gathering info about what hardware should be tested. I'd imagine that the Windows requirement is for a usb dongle, and why aren't you Mac and Linux users used to getting the shaft yet? I'd be suprised if Nintendo allowed for the DS to directly connect to a router. They would loose too much control over the content if they did.

Akia

There are different Nintendo sites you know. For different parts of the world. Nintendo.com is NOA's site for US, Canada, and Meixco.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
StrikerObi said:
I'm on OS X. I honestly don't see there being a problem. Routers are the same all over. They all conform to the same standards. So it shouldn't be a problem regardless of router type (apple, non apple) and computer operating system.

The only forseeable problem is Nintendo's little USB adaptor thing, that might not work under OS X.

Agreed. This test gives us a pretty good indication of where Nintendo anticipates compatibility problems and it isn't on the Mac side.

Sagitario

Akia said:
There are different Nintendo sites you know. For different parts of the world. Nintendo.com is NOA's site for US, Canada, and Meixco.

México is not included :( ...

Nintendo products in México are handled by 3rd parties...

suaveric

hooo said:
... Why would Nintendo.com allow any one other that North American's to register? That's the customer base that they serve.

I'd assume that this whole test is just them gathering info about what hardware should be tested. I'd imagine that the Windows requirement is for a usb dongle, and why aren't you Mac and Linux users used to getting the shaft yet? I'd be suprised if Nintendo allowed for the DS to directly connect to a router. They would loose too much control over the content if they did.

The DS is definitely going to connect right to the router, why would they have you connect to a computer first? Better yet, how would they do that, my computer's wi-fi card only send and receives info for my computer, not other wi-fi hardware around my apartment.

The point of the Wi-Fi connection is for DS owners to be able to walk in to any coffee shop, airport, house, etc. that has a wi-fi connection and start playing.

Chittagong

Gold Member
suaveric said:
The point of the Wi-Fi connection is for DS owners to be able to walk in to any coffee shop, airport, house, etc. that has a wi-fi connection and start playing.

Having travelled around the globe the last year with my PowerBook, hanging out in airport lounges, coffee shops, hotel lobbys, I can tell you that that's bloody unlikely to happen. Which is why I'm curious to see how "easy" Nintendo's solution will be. Getting to any hotspot is a pain - fire up browser, autoload service provider page, enter credit card details, verify and finally get access. Sometimes even buy some retarded scratch-off voucher. Will Nintendo do deals with Hilton, Starbucks, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Hotspot Hotel and all the other companies?

:lol @ Ruzbeh - explains why a kid was hysterically laughing at my tag in Halo 2 post-game stats screen.

I thought Nintendo didn't jump on the internet bandwagon before because they said it was "too complicated". I hope they're not the ones to make it so.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

Chittagong said:
Having travelled around the globe the last year with my PowerBook, hanging out in airport lounges, coffee shops, hotel lobbys, I can tell you that that's bloody unlikely to happen. Which is why I'm curious to see how "easy" Nintendo's solution will be. Getting to any hotspot is a pain - fire up browser, autoload service provider page, enter credit card details, verify and finally get access. Sometimes even buy some retarded scratch-off voucher. Will Nintendo do deals with Hilton, Starbucks, T-Mobile, Vodafone, Hotspot Hotel and all the other companies?

Maybe! With one or two of 'em it's possible.

Jim Merrick said:
To bring wi-fi is a bit of a mismatch. Console games have become popular because they’re so simple – you plug in a game and it just works. No drivers, no patches, no configuration, no passwords. The internet is the opposite case – it’s fraught with acronyms – and we’ve got to find a way to marry those two things in a way which keeps that simple consumer experience and that’s going to take some time. And it’s going to take some partnerships with service providers and hotspots and things

They're using 1000 of their own hotspots in Japan to boot supposedly.

http://www.edge-online.co.uk/archives/2005/06/spreading_japan.php

Top Bottom