• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new "content guidelines" are absolute garbage and basically unenforceable...but Nintendo's gotta "Nintendo"

VGEsoterica

Five months ago I did a video talking about Nintendo DCMA'ing Valve and the Dolphin devs about Dolphin being available in the Steam Store...and while the Dolphin devs def poked the bear with what they were up to I said that I def felt Nintendo was going to go after emulation in a big way sometime in the future. Well at least they waited five months.

Their new "content guidelines" are nothing short of 10/10 level stupid; would kill all speedruns with no commentary, would kill any historical analysis of the games, would prevent any footage not from Nintendo licensed hardware from appearing anywhere online, etc etc etc. And you thought Microsoft was being crappy by locking out non-approved USB controllers. Nintendo went for the GOLD with this

It's so hard to enjoy Nintendo GAMES when you realize the Nintendo COMPANY has such wildly backwards thinking all the time. And before you ask I have a background in Copyright / IP and have dealt with it extensively in my career...and none of these guidelines seem enforceable whatsoever...but that wont stop Nintendo from leaning on every company to remove anything they dislike because the golden rule applies...."he who has all the gold makes the rules"

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It's so hard to enjoy Nintendo GAMES when you realize the Nintendo COMPANY has such wildly backwards thinking all the time. And before you ask I have a background in Copyright / IP and have dealt with it extensively in my career...and none of these guidelines seem enforceable whatsoever...but that wont stop Nintendo from leaning on every company to remove anything they dislike because the golden rule applies...."he who has all the gold makes the rules"
50 bucks says they're gonna make another creator program where you pay them 50% of your ad revenue to make overtly positive videos on their games glossing over all potential flaws. Remember the Nintendo Creator Program days? yeah, i do.
I mean… it mainly affects streamers and YouTubers … who cares really?
Everybody who uses Youtube and Twitch. A whole lotta people.

VGEsoterica

50 bucks says they're gonna make another creator program where you pay them 50% of your ad revenue to make overtly positive videos on their games glossing over all potential flaws. Remember the Nintendo Creator Program days? yeah, i do.

Everybody who uses Youtube and Twitch. A whole lotta people.
And plenty of others. GDQ? Per Nintendo guidelines any “exploits” aren’t allowed. So speed runs of Nintendo games that aren’t “glitchless”…Nintendo says no

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
How many fake movie trailers and click bait titled videos must we endure for freedom !!?? How many !!?? 😂

I hope everything ends up like this.

Just Play the games for enjoyment of the games 🤷‍♂️
I mean sure, we play games. But we also like watching videos about them. That's a major part of the fun. trailers, analysis, reviews, fan animation.... This is like 40% the appeal of playing video games, the community and the love for the IP. shutting that down with these new laws helps no one.
I support Nintendo nuking it all from orbit at this point. Blame the millions of pirates playing their games a week before release.
Tell Nintendo to get better security and hardware and maybe the pirates wouldn't be an issue.

Also, there surely aren't millions of pirates. Maybe like 3-4 million, at best. Nothing in comparison to the Switch userbase.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

I support Nintendo nuking it all from orbit at this point. Blame the millions of pirates playing their games a week before release. Poking a bear is stupid for a reason. They're giant killing machines.
Toothless bear, they are not going to win against emulation.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean sure, we play games. But we also like watching videos about them. That's a major part of the fun. trailers, analysis, reviews, fan animation.... This is like 40% the appeal of playing video games, the community and the love for the IP. shutting that down with these new laws helps no one.

Tell Nintendo to get better security and hardware and maybe the pirates wouldn't be an issue.

Also, there surely aren't millions of pirates. Maybe like 3-4 million, at best. Nothing in comparison to the Switch userbase.
Nuke it. Sort it out after we cant count the casualties anymore.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
How many times have you seen clear open unavoidable spoilers for games in YouTube titles and thumbnails?

Let YouTubers burn!!!

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Toothless bear, they are not going to win against emulation.
Nintendo isn't toothless, this is them baring their teeth. It's more like a Bear going up against a hydra.

How many times have you seen clear open unavoidable spoilers for games in YouTube titles and thumbnails?

Let YouTubers burn!!!
there's this thing in the top right corner of your screen. it's called an X button. You click it and the spoilers go away. Give it a try, it might save you from spoilers one day

Harder to talk about them or harder to monetize talking about them?
Judging by Nintendo striking down GilvaSunner, a channel which never ran ads on any of their videos, I think that Nintendo just hates anyone talking about their games who isn't sponsored or endorsed by them

VGEsoterica

Thing is they aren’t laws. They are Nintendo rules that go against settler US case law.

You can write any rule you want but that doesn’t make it enforceable

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The DCMA system is abhorrently flawed, especially in practice. Nintendo sucks for exploiting it so hard.

ThisIsMyDog

every corporation you give your money to is the bad guys. But there are some that are badder than others.
Not every
94D0B5DF87E4A849B7E3887CABF1DD3D3597BE38

Hardensoul

Let’s be real most emulators aren’t buying games! I don’t care if you emulate games that are over 10-20yrs old that can’t be bought anymore. But when a game that is not released yet and we see current released and sometimes games that aren’t released yet being emulated it’s fucked up!

I don’t blame companies like Nintendo doing what they can to fight it!

bender

What time is it?
Judging by Nintendo striking down GilvaSunner, a channel which never ran ads on any of their videos, I think that Nintendo just hates anyone talking about their games who isn't sponsored or endorsed by them

Not familiar with GilvaSunner but the second half of your statement is probably correct and that creator got caught up in a wave and not singled out in particular. I think Nintendo is just really conservative and tries to protect their IPs (as they should) even if they are overstepping bounds. Someone or a rather a group of "someones" need to challenge fair use in court.

It makes it harder for me to spend my $$ when I see this stuff. I don’t like giving my cash to “the bad guys”

I guess I don't see them as the bad guys. They are trying to protect their IP from the slippery slope, as they should. That doesn't mean I think they are in the right, but that's really something that should be challenged in the courts. I'd say that is something that should be challenged on the hosting platforms but Youtube and Twitch are a fucking mess when it comes to this. Just look at the recent SSSniperwolf dram.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The DCMA system is abhorrently flawed, especially in practice. Nintendo sucks for exploiting it so hard.
This more than anything is the real issue. It's how that QuantumTV fucktard managed to screw over one of the biggest gaming channels on Youtube, DMCA takedowns. If IP and copyright laws were patched up and totally rewritten for a 21st century internet perspective, this would never happen.

calistan

If you take a screenshot of a Nintendo game, the copyright in the screenshot is owned by Nintendo. From a PR point of view it's possibly counterproductive of them to enforce that copyright, but the fact that it exists means you're relying on their good grace if you ever try to profit from it or misuse it - and Nintendo will be the party that decides what constitutes misuse.

They used that rule to take down unofficial Pokemon guidebooks in the past.

Top Bottom