• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new "content guidelines" are absolute garbage and basically unenforceable...but Nintendo's gotta "Nintendo"

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I can just see all the YouTubers thumbnails changing now…

images

How many fake movie trailers and click bait titled videos must we endure for freedom !!?? How many !!?? 😂

I hope everything ends up like this.

Just Play the games for enjoyment of the games 🤷‍♂️

Fuck that. Stop trying to control people and their perceptions of them, and let people express themselves how they want.

No one's getting abused here, and they aren't losing any money from content creators, but they sure are gaining ill will.

Last edited:

Raven77

plenty of people. and it goes against basically the entire system of laws we have in the US on fair use, etc etc.

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

Point specifically to those laws please. I have a background in this as well. Nintendo has every right to try and enforce this, and every right to do this, in general.

As others have said, is mostly affects YouTubers and streamers. In other words, it doesn't affect anything important whatsoever.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Nintendo being Nintendo is why I'm a PC guy. I've had every single console and most handhelds up to Switch. No more. A super backward company that makes brilliant games.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
And plenty of others. GDQ? Per Nintendo guidelines any “exploits” aren’t allowed. So speed runs of Nintendo games that aren’t “glitchless”…Nintendo says no

This is awesome. It’s not even a speed run when people do Zelda ocarina of time in 1 minute with some dumbass glitch.

In this, Nintendo is right. Play the game fast , not break the code.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This is awesome. It’s not even a speed run when people do Zelda ocarina of time in 1 minute with some dumbass glitch.

There are glitchless categories you know... and even if there weren't so what? Why should Nintendo police the way you speedrun their games? They didn't make the speed running scene to begin with, the players did.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
There are glitchless categories you know... and even if there weren't so what? Why should Nintendo police the way you speedrun their games? They didn't make the speed running scene to begin with, the players did.

Nah I’ll stand with Nintendo. They should police all speed running. Remove glitch category altogether. It isn’t speed running— it’s just glitching.

Bowser knows best.

BlackTron

Speed runs have best times in different categories. For example vanilla Mario 64 or with glitches like stairs.

It's preposterous to think that such speed run categories should just vanish because Nintendo made some arbitrary choice.

Sojiro

I can just see all the YouTubers thumbnails changing now…

images
Not enough arrows and his mouth isn't open lol.

I could give Nintendo a bit more credit on their current system, but to pull this on all their older shit is fucking stupid. Oh yes, I really need a valid copy of a game from 30 years ago to show it on a video or play it on a stream, like fuck off Nintendo. Any idea if Nintendo has been going hard on DMCAing videos using emulator gameplay after adjusting their guidelines recently?

BlackTron

Nah I’ll stand with Nintendo. They should police all speed running. Remove glitch category altogether. It isn’t speed running— it’s just glitching.

Bowser knows best.
For Nintendo to police speed running, they would have to give a crap about it, which they don't. This isn't intended to affect speed running, it just happens to.

Don't have a fuck to give here. Sucks for people trying to make a buck off of Nintendo products, I suppose, but it has nothing to do with me as a gamer.

Kenpachii

They can't do shit, they tried forever to get content banned. Nobody applies towards it.

Emulation also, they have no say in anything. Dolphin clowns used nintendo code overplayed there hands and got shot down.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Walkthroughs without commentary are odd. It's like posting an entire movie on Youtube. But it's a game. I can understand why they would call that out.
unless im watching a lets play with personalities (game grumps, markiplier, jacksepticeye, vanoss crew, etc)

I actually prefer playthroughs to be radio silent. I usually watch them out of excitement for a new game i cant play yet and its almost always some annoying obnoxious nerd with a teeth clinching speech impediment that thinks theyre funny drowning out the gameplay.

Sakura

I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is.
Reading the new content guidelines they don't seem to have a problem with let's plays or anything, but with people just posting the game with no commentary or any other creative input, which kinda makes sense to me.

Comandr

You can’t even upload trailers on your channel. Holy shit. I can understand the emulation stuff. It’s shitty. But I get it. But not even allowing people to repost PROMOTIONAL material just .. there’s no other word for it. It’s anti-consumer.
V5rw32O.jpg

VGEsoterica

I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is.
Reading the new content guidelines they don't seem to have a problem with let's plays or anything, but with people just posting the game with no commentary or any other creative input, which kinda makes sense to me.
So you want to make a video on Super Mario 2. Guidelines state if you aren’t using licensed hardware it’s not allowed. So break out your NES or other Nintendo console. Even if you own an NES and a copy of the game you dumped…show it running on MiSTer / Analogue / etc…Nintendo says no

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
You can’t even upload trailers on your channel. Holy shit. I can understand the emulation stuff. It’s shitty. But I get it. But not even allowing people to repost PROMOTIONAL material just .. there’s no other word for it. It’s anti-consumer.
V5rw32O.jpg
How's this anti-consumer?

This sounds more like anti-Nintendo themselves. Why wouldn't they want their stuff shared more.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
V5rw32O.jpg

It’s not hard to understand. They don’t want you just reposting something they already posted in a shittier way. Or posting a straight up full run of a game.

You can still do reviews , previews, and tech analysis videos.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nintendo wouldn't have to do this if people didn't pirate, emulate, or stream for money online. But here we are.

I'm pretty sure Let's Play/No Commentary playthroughs, Game Reviews are still fair game given you have the proper equipment.

The Company has every right to do what it needs for it's own interests.

I love their games but the company itself is not your friend and it never was.

Vblad88

I support this and also recent Capcom anti-mod policy. It’s the company reputation at stake, I would have done the same. Leave the mod territory for the closed communities, accessible by the word of mouth, onlyfans, private videos etc. Let the company be in charge of the quality of the product.

If product is bad, then it will go down the drain - instead of coming back as predetermined to become a community bastard like it was with Star-moddersfixitlater-field.

It’s all for the best. YouTubeing is not journalism to fairly pay for that sort of work anyway.

Last edited:

Exede

Lol theres just 2 opinions. Nintendo is the bestest ever or theyre the stupidst company ever and yet... they print money.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I love their games but the company itself is not your friend and it never was.
And thats all it comes down to. This is why I find it so weird that people in GAF treat CEOs like celebrities…..as if they believe these people care about gamer’s interest.

I personally care about devs who make the games I love, not the companies and CEOs.

Sakura

So you want to make a video on Super Mario 2. Guidelines state if you aren’t using licensed hardware it’s not allowed. So break out your NES or other Nintendo console. Even if you own an NES and a copy of the game you dumped…show it running on MiSTer / Analogue / etc…Nintendo says no
Just play it on the Switch? You're making it sound like it is difficult to play it on Nintendo hardware.
Even if you were just running it via MiSTer or something it's not like they would know.

Zheph

There was a thread a week ago about how Nintendo was not getting enough recognition or some dumb shit like that

Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

Skifi28

I'd be careful of using the N. Word on a forum in plain sight. It's copyrighted and you can get sued.

Neo_GAF

Banned
i hate to say it, but i can somehow understand nintendo.
other than apple, sony, ms they dont have anything else other than videogames and their IPs.
have a look at ms or sony, they have so many other branches and possibilities to make money, while nintendo gets their money from their creativity.
and i dislike the fact that dozens of people out there were able to play TOTK or smb-wonder 1-2weeks earlier. i really wonder how much nintendo lost through that. i have to admit, i downloaded zelda too, but i already had pre-ordered the LE.

Great video!

At this point nobody is surprised with Nintendo policy. They've been out of touch for a long time. BUT, it works for them. I get annoyed because most of us could see how Nintendo could be better and should be better for the fans, but they are and have been horrendously closed minded for a long time, but they've also held relatively quality high standards for their first party titles and it's hard to argue their success.

Last edited:

Darchaos

Oh no, the poor streamers and youtubers, what will the world do, will it even survive? Maybe some of them have to get a job? Nah, whom am i kidding, they wont lift a finger if they dont have to.

BlackTron

The woke generation complaining they can't profit of others work while adding nothing worthwhile.......
I couldn't care less, let it all burn.

Nice how a speedrun performance is lumped in with "nothing worthwhile" and we couldn't care less about it.

Top Bottom