• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's new "content guidelines" are absolute garbage and basically unenforceable...but Nintendo's gotta "Nintendo"

BlackTron

That’s exactly how a speed run is thought of. 😂🤣.

I mean really … what good is it?

It's bizarre that people who like games mock the idea of competition in games. Even the very first games have high scores, the idea of leaderboards and best performance in a game is almost integral to it.

If you've moved on from that and became a purely casual gamer, fine, but don't make fun of what got you here.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's bizarre that people who like games mock the idea of competition in games. Even the very first games have high scores, the idea of leaderboards and best performance in a game is almost integral to it.

If you've moved on from that and became a purely casual gamer, fine, but don't make fun of what got you here.

Lol no .. speeds runs are not like high scores. High scores are the point of the games at the time. It was the whole premise.

Speed runs are self made goals outside of the game premise. And you can still do that if you like but just can’t throw it up on YouTube without commentary. 🤷‍♂️

Plus speed running isn’t “ real “ gamers lol it’s super niche and super lame. Mostly using hacks and glitches.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I think this is more a guidelines to those influencers who wants to receive review copies of Nintendo games. It makes sense Nintendo don't wanna send privileged marketing material to those showing theirs games running outside theirs ecosystem.

Sojiro

So you want to make a video on Super Mario 2. Guidelines state if you aren’t using licensed hardware it’s not allowed. So break out your NES or other Nintendo console. Even if you own an NES and a copy of the game you dumped…show it running on MiSTer / Analogue / etc…Nintendo says no
Yeah this is the part I really find ridiculous. There are many older games that are going for hundreds of dollars, and it's not like Nintendo or any developer of those older games are going to see a cent of that when you pick up a used copy of a game off eBay to video/stream it. I guess a don't ask don't tell approach will be the best practice if you make a video using their hardware, if you don't say you're emulating it or using a Mister, there is no way for Nintendo to really know. I still think it's shitty mind you.

Sorcerer

I have never seen a corporation so adverse to free publicity. Nintendo's need to micromanage every last detail is staggering. Nintendo probably spends a fortune on lawyers to stop free advertising on their products. LOL!!!
Some backwards thinking, but somehow this works for them, I guess?

Last edited:

Tams

unless im watching a lets play with personalities (game grumps, markiplier, jacksepticeye, vanoss crew, etc)

I actually prefer playthroughs to be radio silent. I usually watch them out of excitement for a new game i cant play yet and its almost always some annoying obnoxious nerd with a teeth clinching speech impediment that thinks theyre funny drowning out the gameplay.

But those types of playtroughs are the biggest offenders and the ones Nintendo (or any game developer/publisher) has the strongest argument against.

Those 'playthroughers' are not significantly changing the content in any way. They are not protected by fair use at all.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Thing is they aren’t laws. They are Nintendo rules that go against settler US case law.

You can write any rule you want but that doesn’t make it enforceable
Issue is they Nintendo has money for a lot of lawyers. Most YouTubers do not.

And Google will ban first without questioning.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
And thats all it comes down to. This is why I find it so weird that people in GAF treat CEOs like celebrities…..as if they believe these people care about gamer’s interest.

I personally care about devs who make the games I love, not the companies and CEOs.
Toxic Parasocial relationships have this effect where people think if they are in some sort of groupthink cult that they are part of a big "movement" or "group" and that the CEO's achievements are also their achievements.

I find it interesting that a lot of people on this forum care more about weekly sales, Metacritic, Performance over the actual games themselves. As if these people aren't actually gamers but people investing in Corporate Stock. It's so crazy to me.

What I also find amusing is that if Nintendo does something like protect their IP they get lambasted for it but if Microsoft or Sony were to do the same thing it was "the right move".

It's like a live action Circus Performance.

Krathoon

Mainly the part where it says companies can't stream Nintendo content is the problem.

They want only consumers to do it.

This will piss off the AVGN.

Codes 208

But those types of playtroughs are the biggest offenders and the ones Nintendo (or any game developer/publisher) has the strongest argument against.

Those 'playthroughers' are not significantly changing the content in any way. They are not protected by fair use at all.
I dont disagree that they provide no extra content, im just saying theres good reasons why some people make that kind of content instead of talking over it

Last edited:
Top Bottom