• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJ state government shutdown

sphagnum

Banned
TRENTON -- Gov. Chris Christie at the stroke of midnight Friday ordered a state government shutdown after last-ditch efforts to reach a compromise with Democrats who control the New Jersey Legislature on funding a new state budget failed.

"This order is necessary to maintain the protection, safety and well-being of the people of New Jersey while I attempt to convince the Legislature to send me a fiscally responsible budget that I can sign and re-open New Jersey's government, " said Christie.

"This was completely avoidable. But Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto needlessly stalled the budget process, forcing the closure of New Jersey government and inconveniencing everyone living in and visiting our state."

The shutdown -- only the second in state history -- will close everything from state parks to motor vehicle services offices.

It does not affect essential services such as the New Jersey State Police and psychiatric hospitals. The state lottery will remain in operation.

The governor signed the order after Prieto refused to let the lower house of the Legislature vote on a bill giving the state power to tap into the reserves of Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey to fund addiction treatment.

State Senate President Stephen Sweeney (D-Gloucester) had agreed to vote on the proposal, and as of Thursday, had sufficient votes to pass the measure, which has been tethered to any agreement on the state budget.

Christie on Thursday night ordered cabinet members to review their agencies to determine what services meet the "essential service" threshold, or those that protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of the state.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss..._govern.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

Hope you didn't need to go to the MVC!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
It does not affect essential services such as the New Jersey State Police and psychiatric hospitals. The state lottery will remain in operation.
I like how this is an essential service.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This order is necessary to maintain the protection, safety and well-being of the people of New Jersey

Sure, Jan

Everyone knows very well that youd be willing to shut things down even if New Jerseans are put in danger

Wait am I reading this right? They wanted to use Blue Cross reserves to fund addiction treatment? What's the problem here, that it helps addicts? Good God, we can't let that happen.

Laws00

As someone who has off of work for the first time in 12 years THIS IS SOME FUCKING BULLSHIT

Also as a resident in New Jersey you know what this means too?

State parks and beaches with all public events within parks and historic sites would be canceled.

Some rest stops and travel and tourism centers would be closed, as well as many administrative offices in major state agencies, from the Motor Vehicle Commission to the Department of the Treasury.

As someone who has off of work for the first time in 12 years THIS IS SOME FUCKING BULLSHIT

Also as a resident in New Jersey you know what this means too?

State parks and beaches with all public events within parks and historic sites would be canceled.

Some rest stops and travel and tourism centers would be closed, as well as many administrative offices in major state agencies, from the Motor Vehicle Commission to the Department of the Treasury.
This seems like it would deal a serious blow to 4th of July celebrations and the extra income at a glance. Very stupid move if that is the case.

So let me get this clear:
Christie wanted to dig into the Blue Cross Blue Shield reserve funding to help with addiction treatment and somehow that was tied to the state's budget. The Dems stalled or outright refused to vote on it so he shut down the government?

Is there some online source for the bill? There has to be something else on this for it to cause a whole state shutdown.

Lefty

Basically what is going on is Christie is trying to raid funds from a Horizon BCBS to pay for addiction treatment centers. Horizon just happens to be the main insurer for public workers (state employees, teachers, etc). If the funds are taken this would likely raise premiums on those groups. This is essentially Christie's last shot at hitting the public unions.

Although even if this did pass, no one knows if it would hold up in court. Plus this won't go into effect for awhile so whoever wins in November can repeal it before the funds are taken (both candidates oppose this)

I can't wait till Murphy finally wins in November and we are done with Christie.

gdt

Basically what is going on is Christie is trying to raid funds from a Horizon BCBS to pay for addiction treatment centers. Horizon just happens to be the main insurer for public workers (state employees, teachers, etc). If the funds are taken this would likely raise premiums on those groups. This is essentially Christie's last shot at hitting the public unions.

Although even if this did pass, no one knows if it would hold up in court. Plus this won't go into effect for awhile so whoever wins in November can repeal it before the funds are taken (both candidates oppose this)

I can't wait till Murphy finally wins in November and we are done with Christie.

Ahh. One last shot at unions?

Of course it's too hard to properly fund rehab programs, let's just raid an insurance co and fuck unions. Making dems look back for fighting against it in the process.

Same. My mom works for Passaic county and we hate that fat fuck.

Also I want legal weed.

Ron Mexico

Ahh. One last shot at unions?

Of course it's too hard to properly fund rehab programs, let's just raid an insurance co and fuck unions. Making dems look back for fighting against it in the process.

Both a significant part and missing the mark somewhat simultaneously.

Christie is only promising to pass a Democrat-led budget if they also passed bills on the lottery reform (funding pensions) and this Horizon bill.

That said, there's nothing procedurally stopping him from signing the lottery and Horizon bills then still vetoing the budget, hence the shutdown.

Essentially, only the state senate gets to play the "we tried" card. Just a terrible look for the entire state, especially on an important holiday weekend.

Benhur

I've been an NJ state worker for 17 years. We had a shutdown for a week in 2006 when our governor and legislature (both Democrats) couldn't agree on a budget. Things have been rough for state workers since Christie came on board (no more cost of living increases, sporadic hiring freezes, increase in health benefit costs to name a few things) and most of my state worker pals are licking our chops for November to get here.

One major difference between the 2006 shutdown and this year's shutdown is that Corzine was pro state worker/union and went out of his way to make sure state workers got paid for the week-long shut down. If we miss work this time, I can be pretty sure Christie won't do the same.

As a person whose family owns a bar on the boardwalk near a popular state beach I can't wait to see how badly this fucks up our holiday weekend. :/

I cannot wait for this fat oaf to be removed from office fast enough.

Then again his replacement in Phil Murphy isn't instilling much hope, he seems on paper to be a clone of Corzine who was just as inept as Christie but did so without seeming like a douche to the majority of people.

I can't wait to leave this state. I can't stand this dude. I am near Seaside Park and there's a really popular state park/beach that will clear out and head to Long Beach Island. Going to be such a disappointing holiday weekend.

JB1981

I can't wait to leave this state. I can't stand this dude. I am near Seaside Park and there's a really popular state park/beach that will clear out and head to Long Beach Island. Going to be such a disappointing holiday weekend.

Just go to Seaside Park

Probably the worst time for this to happen in terms of the holiday.

http://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...-shutdown-heres-what-you-need-know/444962001/

Here's a list of what is shut down:

Many state offices, including the Motor Vehicle Commission.
State parks, marinas and state golf courses, including:

Allaire State Park, Wall
Hopatcong State Park
High Point State Park, Sussex
Barnegat Lighthouse State Park
Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park
Bass River State Forest, Tuckerton
Washington Crossing State Historic Park, Titusville
Double Trouble State Park, Berkeley and Lacey
Island Beach State Park
Monmouth Battlefield State Park, Manalapan
Warren Grove Recreation Area, Ocean and Burlington counties
Forked River State Marina
Island Beach State Marina, Seaside Park
Leonardo State Marina
Cream Ridge Golf Course, Upper Freehold
Spring Meadow Golf Course, Wall

JB1981

They can't actually close the beach, can they? There just won't be lifeguards.

That is a huge problem on a holiday weekend like this. Do you know how many people are saved by lifeguards on weekends like this? It's crazy

Christ this guy is a dumpster fire, he gained some
Good will after hurricane sandy but now thats entirely worn off, we need a good democrat in that office, NJ is a blue state anyway

The beach shut down is crazy, especially on 4th of july weekend, your putting a lot of local shore buisnesses in a tough spot. Im heading to long beach island on monday, even if only for the day so im glad they havent been hit by this nonsense

ScribbleD

The governor signed the order after Prieto refused to let the lower house of the Legislature vote on a bill giving the state power to tap into the reserves of Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey to fund addiction treatment.

Is the shutdown a strongarm negotiating tactic, or just something they couldn't agree on in time to pass the budget? This actually seems like a really reasonable bill. Why'd it get torpedo'd like this?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I live on the beach in long branch.... I was just downstairs and there are a ton of people here. What is exactly "shutdown"? Is there a list online?

Top Bottom