• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PS3?

ram

according to gamefront.de, the american mag "game informer" says, that there will be no ps3 version. can anyone confirm this? is this just from the rumor section?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
ram said:
according to gamefront.de, the american mag "game informer" says, that there will be no ps3 version. can anyone confirm this? is this just from the rumor section?

I imagine it was more or less a certainty that TES: Oblivion wouldn't hit PS3 when Sony nixed the included hard drive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Was there ever going to be a PS3 version? I don't think so...

Thinking of the HDD...

Sony should include some sort of cache in the PS3. Rather than using an HDD, they could throw in some flash ram or something.

ram

i thought bethesda said, TES: Oblivion will hit next-gen platforms. never said, only xbox360 in first place. also i cannot see, why there has to be a harddisk. recent games have shown, what streaming is capable of.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
dark10x said:
Was there ever going to be a PS3 version? I don't think so...

There was a lot of speculation as when Oblivion was announced it was slated for "PC and next generation conoles". Neither SteveMeister or Vark would say what that meant, so a lot of people just assumed xbox 360 and PS3.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Bethesda has been tight lipped about a possible PS3 version....probably because it will be a GOTY edition (or something along those lines). They won't talk about a PS3 version if they want to double dip some of the folks who buy the X360 and PC versions.

I definitely think a PS3 version (or something more specifically tuned for the PS3 with a new subtitle) will be released. The demand is certainly there and Bethesda has to know that they would get some serious sales from the PS3 launch.

Spider_Jerusalem said:
On the official site and in the interviews they've always said that it will be only on Xbox 360 and PC, so no news.

Again, as someone said before, their initial statement was "for the PC and next generation consoles.

But, they appear to have either killed the PS3 version (most likely) or buried it so that nobody waits for the PS3 version to come out to buy it.

DarkCloud

JC10001 said:
Bethesda has been tight lipped about a possible PS3 version....probably because it will be a GOTY edition (or something along those lines). They won't talk about a PS3 version if they want to double dip some of the folks who buy the X360 and PC versions.

I definitely think a PS3 version will be released. The demand is certainly there and Bethesda has to know that they would get some serious sales from the PS3 launch.

Keep the dream alive.

Wolffen

Dark: Cache won't help keep track of every little thing you've done in the gameworld. For that, fast storage is needed. In Morrowind, IIRC, every time you killed something or someone, the body would stay there throughout the game unless you chose to dispose of the body. That, along with the fact there were something like 300,000 items placed around the game that you could steal, sell, etc. required a hard drive to track. Keeping track of all of that with a memory card would be one hell of a task. A HDD would make this much easier.

Wolffen said:
Dark: Cache won't help keep track of every little thing you've done in the gameworld. For that, fast storage is needed. In Morrowind, IIRC, every time you killed something or someone, the body would stay there throughout the game unless you chose to dispose of the body. That, along with the fact there were something like 300,000 items placed around the game that you could steal, sell, etc. required a hard drive to track. Keeping track of all of that with a memory card would be one hell of a task. A HDD would make this much easier.

Could easily be done on a 256MB or 5123MB SD or Memory Stick card. But, I do think the HDD was how the game was conceived and as a developer, you can't assume that your customer has a "high capacity" memory card, whereas when the HDD is included, you know every console owner has that.

This is the one area that I hope Sony gives in on. HDD in every system in every region. Even if it's only 10GB (preferabley 40GB+ as once you include it, the costs won't be much different)

Vieo

JC10001 said:

I definitely think a PS3 version (or something more specifically tuned for the PS3 with a new subtitle) will be released. The demand is certainly there and Bethesda has to know that they would get some serious sales from the PS3 launch.

LoL. Don't you just mean double dip those who will buy the Xbox360 version? No one in their right mind with a PC that can handle the game will buy the console version over the PC version. :lol

Dr_Cogent

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Could easily be done on a 256MB or 5123MB SD or Memory Stick card. But, I do think the HDD was how the game was conceived and as a developer, you can't assume that your customer has a "high capacity" memory card, whereas when the HDD is included, you know every console owner has that.

Which is why I keep saying that Sony not having a HD included with every PS3 is a colossal mistake.

dark10x

Dr_Cogent said:
Which is why I keep saying that Sony not having a HD included with every PS3 is a colossal mistake.

...and I say that they should include flash ram instead. HDDs are more expensive and somewhat fragile. They should have made a flash ram based cache for games...

Prine

Banned
Vieo said:
LoL. Don't you just mean double dip those who will buy the Xbox360 version? No one in their right mind with a PC that can handle the game will buy the console version over the PC version. :lol

i am, console version all the way!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Dr_Cogent said:

I don't know... we heard that this gen and we didn't see alot of developers truely take advantage of the HDD to make it seem like an absolute essential device.... have these same developers gotta smarter about it for next gen? Guess we'll find out..

Dr_Cogent

Banned
dark10x said:
...and I say that they should include flash ram instead. HDDs are more expensive and somewhat fragile. They should have made a flash ram based cache for games...

HDDs are far more cheaper if you consider their size and price. Flash is far more expensive.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
DarienA said:
I don't know... we heard that this gen and we didn't see alot of developers truely take advantage of the HDD to make it seem like an absolute essential device.... have these same developers gotta smarter about it for next gen? Guess we'll find out..

I just think it holds back the industry as a whole as well. Think about it. If Sony did that, we would see more games taking advantage of HDs across both platforms. Nintendo - well - they are completely out of the loop and IMO holding the industry back. They should consider just dumping hardware and going the Sega route and leave the fight to the big boys.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
SteveMeister said:
mmmm, pie

Warm apple pie right out the oven......

Dr_Cogent said:
I just think it holds back the industry as a whole as well. Think about it. If Sony did that, we would see more games taking advantage of HDs across both platforms.

But you're missing the point of my question, If we've go so few exclusive titles THIS generation taking advantage of the HD, what makes you think more multi-platform titles would NEXT generation?

I'm just trying to understand the logic chain you're following.

Dr_Cogent said:
I prefer my deserts cold for some reason :)

I'm generally with you on that one.

Bebpo

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Nintendo - well - they are completely out of the loop and IMO holding the industry back. They should consider just dumping hardware and going the Sega route and leave the fight to the big boys.

@_@

FiRez

Vieo said:

why not?
better controls and graphics (widescreen, HDTV resolution) on the xbox 360?
just saying

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
DarkCloud said:
Keep the dream alive.

"If RE4 gets released on another console I will chop my head off."

Anything can happen buddy. Holding out hope obviously worked for PS2 users on a number of occassions.

There have been several threads when people have speculated about a PS3 version. SteveMeister has posted in several of them. I've never seen him, or anyone else who works for Bethesda, shoot down those rumors.

It honestly makes no difference to me one way or the other if the PS3 version gets made. If it doesn't I will just buy something else. But if Bethesda wants my money they will release it for the PS3. Simple as that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Cache won't help keep track of every little thing you've done in the gameworld. For that, fast storage is needed.
I'm wondering how big a save file will be for the game. Because, essentially, that's how much memory you need to keep track of everything that is going on in the game.

If the save file is something like 200-300MB or more, than PS3 version is probaby out of question.

I also still wonder if games on XBox 360 will have to be made to run even if the HDD is detached from the console.

better controls and graphics (widescreen, HDTV resolution) on the xbox 360?
720p is still lower than what most PC gamers play their games at nowadays (1280x1024). It's a small difference of course. I think he's probably talking more about user made mods and stuff like that though.

Redbeard

Banned
How large did Morrowind's save files get? I seem to remember hundreds of blocks once you got a good way into the game.

dark10x

720p is still lower than what most PC gamers play their games at nowadays (1280x1024).

That's not quite true...

1280x720 is a 16:9 resolution...1280x1024 (we'll say 1280x960, which is actually a true 4:3 resolution). You have the same horizontal resolution, but decrease the verical. That doesn't mean you loose quality, though, as it simply changes the aspect ratio. Technically, 1280x960 is still a higher resolution, but it's only 4:3.

FiRez

Marconelly said:
720p is still lower than what most PC gamers play their games at nowadays (1280x1024). It's a small difference of course. I think he's probably talking more about user made mods and stuff like that though.

is the game looked at 720p? that's why I said HDTV resolution and the 16:9 format is a standard in the x360 games.
but yes the mod community will be big plus in the PC version.

JC10001 said:
But if Bethesda wants my money they will release it for the PS3. Simple as that.

HDDs are far more cheaper if you consider their size and price. Flash is far more expensive.

It depends how much space is actually on the flash and how big the flash unit is itself. If the flash unit is the size of a few compact flashes it should be pretty cheap. Remmber the flash on the rev. wont be removable I belive so they can make as big as they want aslong as they can fit it in that tiny piece of shit.

FiRez said:
JC10001 said:
It honestly makes no difference to me one way or the other if the PS3 version gets made. If it doesn't I will just buy something else. But if Bethesda wants my money they will release it for the PS3. Simple as that.

You can ... all you want, but outside of gaming forums this is how it works. Unless you're a Halo, Mario, or GTA, people aren't going to buy a gaming system just to play your game.

Not saying it won't be the reason some people buy the 360, but the reality is that we all might buy games that are available on other systems, if only it were available on ours.

To claim otherwise is either naive or ignorant.

Xenon

But you're missing the point of my question, If we've go so few exclusive titles THIS generation taking advantage of the HD, what makes you think more multi-platform titles would NEXT generation?

You can download all the content they couldn't fit on a 9 gig DVD =P

seriously, even if all it does is help eliminate load times, thats enough for me. Plus its always better to give devs the option.

akascream

Banned
What's the big deal. Less ports means more resources for the real version (wherever it is). It is bad enough it is going to both PC and Xbox. Choose a platform and I'll buy your game. Let the one console warriors writhe with want.

DarkCloud

JC10001 said:
"If RE4 gets released on another console I will chop my head off."

Anything can happen buddy. Holding out hope obviously worked for PS2 users on a number of occassions.

There have been several threads when people have speculated about a PS3 version. SteveMeister has posted in several of them. I've never seen him, or anyone else who works for Bethesda, shoot down those rumors.

Nor have they ever encouraged such rumors. If the PS3 HDD issue ever gets settled (AKA out of the box or bust) then sure down the line it could happen...or they could've already moved on to Elderscrolls 5 with no interest in porting over such a huge game to yet ANOTHER complex hardware setup (compared to PC workings)

But I'm sure Bethesda is pleased to know how much of a fan of their series you are with your whole "Screw you guys....you won't come to me I'll just hang with these guys over here" attitude. Cause lord knows having that Sony logo on the DVD adds to the enjoyment factor and all that.

FiRez

sonycowboy said:
You can ... all you want, but outside of gaming forums this is how it works. Unless you're a Halo, Mario, or GTA, people aren't going to buy a gaming system just to play your game.

Not saying it won't be the reason some people buy the 360, but the reality is that we all might buy games that are available on other systems, if only it were available on ours.

To claim otherwise is either naive or ignorant.

I agree, maybe I quoted him out of context, because he already said that he will not care if Oblivion doesn't get ported. but saying that Bethesda will not get his money because he don't want to get the only avaible versions is very uncalled.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
FiRez said:
but saying that Bethesda will not get his money because he don't want to get the only avaible versions is very uncalled.
How so? If he doesn't have an Xbox 360 or a high-spec PC, he won't be able to get the available versions, hence his statement about it coming to the PS3 in order to get his money.

Not everyone plans to get a 360.

FiRez

human5892 said:
Not everyone plans to get a 360.

That's why I said:

me said:
Maybe I quoted him out of context, because he already said that he will not care if Oblivion doesn't get ported.

I was just making a point about saying "If X company doesn't make Y game for my favorite console they will not get my money, simple as that" is going too far.
I mean bethesda will not broke because you will not buy their game

besides, you don't see many one-console owners saying something like that, is like getting mad and wishing doom to any other devs that doesn't make games for your system of choice.

Borys

Banned
1. Sony doesn't need this game.
2. PS3 owners does not need this game.

Case closed.

I'll get it on my PC for modding, modding and modding!

Oh and for modding also!

GhaleonEB

Borys said:
1. Sony doesn't need this game.
2. PS3 owners does not need this game.

Case closed.

I'll get it on my PC for modding, modding and modding!

Oh and for modding also!

I suppose the XBox didn't "need" Morrowind either, but it moved around 700k, IIRC.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Society said:
Sour grapes syndrome usually occurs with good games. So, I do not think they will.

It's pretty amazing that you already know that it's not a good game. Most people like to wait and actually play it or maybe read some reviews before forming an opinion. You must be better than all the rest of us or have a magic crystal ball.

Top Bottom