• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PS3?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
It's pretty amazing that you already know that it's not a good game. Most people like to wait and actually play it or maybe read some reviews before forming an opinion. You must be better than all the rest of us or have a magic crystal ball.

Concidering how bad Morrowind was, I have very low expectations.

Borys

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I suppose the XBox didn't "need" Morrowind either, but it moved around 700k, IIRC.

Yeah but I still think Sony doesn't really want it. I mean they could approach Bethesda with money, right?

It just doesn't bother them... lots of people will have it already beaten (excuse my english) on their 360s/PCs.
The whole Oblivion hype is centered around 360's launch... it really wouldn't make any sense (IMO) to launch it on PS3.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Society said:

I didn't like Morrowind for a host of reasons, but I am not going to automatically condemn the next game because of that.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
DarkCloud said:
But I'm sure Bethesda is pleased to know how much of a fan of their series you are with your whole "Screw you guys....you won't come to me I'll just hang with these guys over here" attitude.

I'm just telling it like it is. If Bethesda has any interest in expanding the Elder Scrolls fanbase then they are the ones who are going to have to reach out.

DarkCloud said:
Cause lord knows having that Sony logo on the DVD adds to the enjoyment factor and all that.

As I've already stated....I don't care what system it comes out on. If I happen to own that system I will purchase the game. It makes no difference to me. I just know I won't be buying an Xbox 360. Period. Three systems is too many for me to keep up with. The days of me owning every system that comes out (NeoGeo, 3DO, etc) are over.

For the past two gens I've purchased a Playstation as my primary console and a Nintendo as a secondary console (because most of Nintendo's games are nothing like anything on the other systems...if the games on the Xbox 360 weren't so similar to the games on the PS3 then I might consider buying one instead of a Revolution).

I've been a two console guy for a while now. The only reason I bought a Dreamcast is because by the time it came out the N64 releases had dried up and I wanted something to fill the gap. The Dreamcast basically replaced my N64. The PS2 replaced the PSOne and the Gamecube later replaced the Dreamcast.

I later won an Xbox with Ninja Gaiden. I played a few other games on it and sold it. I didn't feel like committing to the system because it was so late in the generation and I knew its days were numbered.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Society said:
Better to be suprised than let down.

I don't mind that you have your opinion, and I respect the opinion that you think it's going to stink - but maybe it's best to keep that private until it's actually proven.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
JC10001 said:
I'm just telling it like it is. If Bethesda has any interest in expanding the Elder Scrolls fanbase then they are the ones who are going to have to reach out.

This sounds like whining. They are expanding their userbase by making the best damn game they can make. That's the goal of all developers.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Agent Icebeezy said:
This sounds like whining.

Its not whining. Its a statement of fact.

Agent Icebeezy said:
They are expanding their userbase by making the best damn game they can make. That's the goal of all developers.

Except thats not good enough anymore. You said it yourself. All developers are trying to make the best damn games they can make. That means there is stiffer competition in the market place, more alternatives, and less of a likelyhood that someone will feel the need to purchase another console on top of the 1 or 2 that they already own.

They are serving the exact same audience that they were serving before: PC and Xbox owners. If they truly want to expand the audience they will make the game more conveniently available by releasing it on as many systems as possible.

Pellham

Banned
Society said:

If you don't give a shit about Elder Scrolls, why do you want to troll in Elder Scrolls threads like this one?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Society said:

different strokes for different folks. Cliff racers aside it's my all-time favorite console game (2nd favorite game ever behind the Civilization games). Why are you in an Oblivion thread if you don't care? Sounds like trolling to me.

Agent Icebeezy

It honestly makes no sense to bring it over. I'm quite sure that type of RPG would just sit on shelves while the Xbox 360 versions outsells like 5-1. No point in wasting resources like that

Mau ®

There's a chance of it coming to PS3, in the game informer issue they said there would be a PS3 version unless there's some money on the table. Besides the PS3 is like 1 year away or even more, why would they start the porting now and neglect the PC and X360 versions which are due this holidays.

Other factors are, 2K games is the publisher and they're extremely multiplataform oriented, just so you know Call of Chtulu: DCOTE was only for Xbox and PC, once they adquired it also became a PS2 title.

Also have you guys noticed this?

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/702/702492.html

Thats not the weird thing, the weird thing is that when you use the search games function in IGN searching for "Oblivion" the PS3 version never comes.

When IGN reports an axed game they write in red letter "this game was cancelled", in this case they "took down" the page but its there, just its impossible to find unless you use a search function on Yahoo or Google.

Anyway I would LOVE a PS3 version cuz this game is whats keeping me from getting a PS3 and considering a X360, things would be much easier if a PS3 version would be announced.

Pellham

Banned
Society said:
Hey, some people like scat. I am just trying to help you people better spend your money.

And nobody wants your help.

Oblivion will be GOTY!

On subject, I don't really care if they don't bring this game out to PS3, since I will be getting the PC version to begin with. I'd only consider the 360 version if it was that much better performance-wise than the PC version running on a decked out PC.

inthezone said:
There's a chance of it coming to PS3, in the game informer issue they said there would be a PS3 version unless there's some money on the table.Besides the PS3 is like 1 year away or even more, why would they start the porting now and neglect the PC and X360 versions which are due this holidays.

This is likely also a major factor. I don't think anyone here actually thinks the PS3 will make it out before holiday 2006. At that point, Bethesda could have a port, but it'll already be a year old game, so that automatically kills alot of potential sales.

On the other hand, they could add content, but it would be just a drop in the bucket vs a real actual sequel, which they'd probably rather move on to (or another new game).

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Who care's if it's not comming out on PS3. I'm getting a 360

smug_jpg.jpg

Xellos

sonycowboy said:
This is likely also a major factor. I don't think anyone here actually thinks the PS3 will make it out before holiday 2006. At that point, Bethesda could have a port, but it'll already be a year old game, so that automatically kills alot of potential sales.

On the other hand, they could add content, but it would be just a drop in the bucket vs a real actual sequel, which they'd probably rather move on to (or another new game).

I doubt PS3 will have many RPGs out at or near launch. Even though it would be one year old, a PS3 Oblivion would (probably) have that genre to itself for a long time. For that reason, I think a PS3 port would sell pretty well.

Also, Bethesda will probably add content (expansion packs) to Oblivion before they finish a sequel. The Morrowind expansions and GOTY editions are past examples.

Wollan

2k Games are very PS2 friendly and it shouldn't be too hard convincing Bethesda.
With all respect to this great dev-team I doubt they will take use of the SPE's but the game should run fine on the 3.2ghz PPC core.
Regarding HD, the main game doesn't need one though obviously for the downloads. Sony haven't said if a HD will be included or not with the package.

Agent Icebeezy

Wollan said:
2k Games are very PS2 friendly and it shouldn't be too hard convincing Bethesda.
With all respect to this great dev-team I doubt they will take use of the SPE's but the game should run fine on the 3.2ghz PPC core.
Regarding HD, the main game doesn't need one though obviously for the downloads. Sony haven't said if a HD will be included or not with the package.

You must didn't pay attention to Morrowind, that damn game needed the HD. I'm sure their development standards haven't varied much.

Sony has gone on record saying they won't include one because the amount they put in there won't be enough. That is where they stand currently.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wollan said:

A small technical note, that's not really relevant to the thread but I'll mention anyway: while what you say about running fine on a single core is probably true, SPE usage does not have to be explicit on the part of a developer if middleware they're using takes advantage of them. In Bethesda's case, their use of Havok should automatically imply SPE usage and benefit with little to no extra effort on their part. Of course, explicit use by a dev would in a lot of cases be preferable if they want to tune their own code for them. On another slightly different note, to make any use of the SPEs could be fairly straightforward, it's making best and optimal use of them that would require more time and effort.

As far as this applies to Bethesda, it may be completely irrelevant, as I have my doubts it'll appear on PS3 later.

Wollan

That is not what they said. They said they wouldn't have one standard built in. Like with the original Xbox. The consumer must be able to increase size later on. They didn't mention if the PS3 will ship with a HD or not.

EDIT: Regarding the SPE comment, I just don't think Bethesda have the skills to really work the SPE's. I base this on the Xbox version of Morrowind. They should have been able to port that game better on such a easy to develop for console.

Xenon

I don't see why anyone would come down on Bethesda over this. RPGs of this type, huge worlds, usually require a large cache file to be created. PS3 does not have a HD, end of story. The only reason Morrowind went to the Xbox is because the HD made it possible. Had the PS2 shipped with a HD I’m sure it would have made it there as well.

Top Bottom