• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man’s Sky: Outlaws Update Available Today

Synless

Greatest turn around in gaming history?

James Franco GIF
Final Fantasy XIV. This is a good runner up though.

Mister Wolf!!!!!

Last edited:
Haven't played in a while. Wish there was a simple melee option. Maybe like a basic 3 hit combo with a beam saber or something.
Still wishing they would allow ship creation. Not sure why that hasn't been implemented. Whatever rules the games uses to randomize the ships, just let us make the one we want within those rules.
There's no danger or drama in No Mans Sky. No risk. It's a bland space utopia.
Looks better and better but I won't be hopping back in until there's meaningful PvP added to the game.
It's on their to-do list.

Duchess

This was actually one of my favourite games on PS4. I couldn't stop playing it. Just exploring planets, doing mission, etc. Was great fun. Took me yonks to reach the centre of the galaxy.

It's funny, as you get closer to the galactic core, the more planets and systems discovered by others you'll come across. Further out, you tend to find bugger all.

Nydius

No Man's Elite Dangerous.

I'm glad they're still adding stuff for free and supporting the game but if I want to do things like build a NPC fleet or face off against Space Pirates, I can already do that with much better design and gameplay on Elite Dangerous.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Sounds like an interesting expansion. How many expansions has this game gotten?
I found it pretty bland originally, how much new content is there?

Is there a roadmap or interview highlighting what they're planning on doing over the next couple of years?
Only Sean Murray's tweets and their website. They've mainly just been dropping surprise updates. Last year he acknowledged all of the features people want like more story, PvP, and more gameplay loop options. He said they still have way, way more planned and want to keep the momentum going.

It's clear that they're learning a ton from this game and whatever huge game they make next, years down the line, will end up way better for it.

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Love the game, but not a fan of this update at the moment.

pirate attacks now happen on planets, not just in space. So merely flying on a planet trying to locate buildings is constantly interrupted by: "Warning, threat detected" and pirates attacking you soon after unless you land your ship quickly.

Also, a new feature is pirates attacking settlements on planets. Which is pretty fun(and earns you 250k credit) but they happen constantly. Within 30 seconds of leaving your ship at a settlement, chances are well above 50% that pirates are attacking it.

so yeah, they need to scale back this nonsense. It's just not much fun atm dealing with constant attacks.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Does this game just keep selling, or how the hell are they financing these years and years of free updates? It's insane, and pretty much unprecedented.

Small Independent studio that sold millions of copies on a promise at launch due to ultra hype.

While a big AAA studio like EA would have taken the money, laughed and handed it off to investors these guys didn't have any of that.

They looked at the big pile of millions, paid their staff and kept working. Simple really it's one of the reasons the whole "we need a GaaS model to keep supporting our game" is a lie. All it takes is for a company to set aside a chunk of profits to pay a fixed team for a fixed amount of time, and if any further profits come in they go back into the game too.

I mean if this style couldent work, then why are these guys just able to do it?

Last edited:

GHG

No Man's Sky isn't billed as a 'live service', and yet it shames actual 'live service' games like 'Halo Infinite' with sheer the quality, quantity, and breadth of its continued support. Unbelieve work coming from Hello Games.

A company marketing their game as "live service" is basically code for "it's not finished but you will buy it anyway".

Companies who actually do a good job with improving and iterating their games tend to quietly get on with it, no roadmap bullshit and no "live service" PR/marketing spiel.

MaKTaiL

Love the game, but not a fan of this update at the moment.

pirate attacks now happen on planets, not just in space. So merely flying on a planet trying to locate buildings is constantly interrupted by: "Warning, threat detected" and pirates attacking you soon after unless you land your ship quickly.

Also, a new feature is pirates attacking settlements on planets. Which is pretty fun(and earns you 250k credit) but they happen constantly. Within 30 seconds of leaving your ship at a settlement, chances are well above 50% that pirates are attacking it.

so yeah, they need to scale back this nonsense. It's just not much fun atm dealing with constant attacks.
It was a bug and they already fixed it on experimental on PC.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Small Independent studio that sold millions of copies on a promise at launch due to ultra hype.

While a big AAA studio like EA would have taken the money, laughed and handed it off to investors these guys didn't have any of that.
Meanwhile some people seem to laugh at Hello Games and hound them till the end of their days and EA will keep laughing.

They looked at the big pile of millions, paid their staff and kept working. Simple really it's one of the reasons the whole "we need a GaaS model to keep supporting our game" is a lie. All it takes is for a company to set aside a chunk of profits to pay a fixed team for a fixed amount of time, and if any further profits come in they go back into the game too.

I mean if this style couldent work, then why are these guys just able to do it?
Very very well said.

Top Bottom