• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Tips: Get busy exploring or get busy mining

Kadayi

Banned
Tips, Tricks & Strategies for No Mans Sky

03B89A02E667A07A86A4A4419468598116A39E19

I figured there should be a separate thread to the OT wherein we could all share our recommendations regarding getting the most out of NMS.

I'm certainly not the most experienced NMS player (despite an unhealthy number of hours clocked since the games original launch), at the time of writing I have no vast fleet of ships to speak of, or farms printing money like there's no tomorrow, however, what I am as a gamer is a systems noodler whose always looking for an angle on how to play things more efficiently, through innumerable repeat starts. I figured I'd share some of my observations.

I dare say people might disagree with some of my thoughts, but I'm more interested in hearing your approach to play versus arguing the toss as to which way is better.

Anyway: -

Starting a new game

Beyond getting your spaceship space worthy, you want to aim at getting a couple of things out of the way sooner rather than later: -

1) Getting the advanced mining beam to upgrade for your Mult-tool. This is going to allow you to target minerals/plants that have Pure Ferrite/Condensed Carbon as ingredients which will save you time when it comes to having to refine elements.

2) Advancing the story enough that you can manufacture Antimatter, which is a key requirement to be able to unlock Exo-Suit upgrades from Drop-pods.

Scanning

This might seems an odd one but I don't recommend scanning anything beyond minerals initially (which have a flat 200cr return) outside of missions until you've managed to acquire some S rank scanning upgrades for your multi-tool to make the time investment pay dividends in terms of cash reward. Hunting down and scanning every animal in your starting system for chump change chasing that elusive clearance bonus of nanites is pointless when with a few multi-tool upgrades from a space station you could be making several million Cr on top as well. Plus those scanner upgrades will make the task of finding those elusive creatures a lot easier as well.

Initial Blueprints

There are a few initial upgrade blueprints that you'll get access to early on in the game either automatically or from vendors for the exo-suit, multitool and starship that don't necessarily seem like good investments as they have low grades, however, I'd actually say some of these are worth installing because they don't seem to count against the limit of 3 upgrades for your equipment. Case in point with the scanner you can have 3 S rank upgrades and the B class Wavepoiint recycler blueprint on top: -

3CE972D92AEAF51959AEA64D313C3EF7DA0E7B5E

Exo-suit upgrades

As far as priorities go I'd say focus on getting a few Cargo & Technology slots unlocked before worrying too much about filling out the General slots.

Cargo Slots you can use to double up carrying your most used resources (Regular/Ionised Cobalt, Regular/Consensed Carbon, Oxygen, Pure & Magnetised Ferrite, Sodium/Sodium Nitrate, Di-Hydrogen & Chromatic Metal).

Tech slots these are a good place to put things like Jetpack upgrades as well as the super useful Hazmat glove. Upgrades are subject to an adjacency bonus (which can be noted by the coloured borders around upgrades), so it's wise to plan your arrangements so you can benefit from this. so it's worth noting that when upgrading the tech slots you get no control over where the new slot will be so I recommend putting the Hazmat Glove in the far Right slot and then building out your Jetpack upgrades from the left as below: -

8A3D46A31E608E7B47DCA6ED00A5C8E874FD8170

You'll want to try and keep your general slots for things like Navigation and batteries and goods that which won't double stack as well as building out your Life Support and Hazard protection upgrades to take advantage of their respective adjacency bonuses as and when you can acquire them: -

4B690404C97F38106E66C5787229DC2C6B1F973B

Avoid buying Cargo slot upgrades at Space Stations as they are extremely costly versus general or tech slots. Instead look to Drop-pods as a means to acquire those

Initial Base Building

Albeit it's tempting to find some nice picturesque location to build your first base in, from a pragmatic perspective I recommend building your first one right next to a Trading post. Firstly it will provide you with free parking and no takeoff fee, secondly, it gives you fast access to be able to buy and sell goods.

Buying and selling

Be aware that the supply of goods at trade stations (and minor settlements) gradually regenerates over time, so for instance if you buy all the gold to help you manufacture a bunch of components, you'll find that in a few minutes the trade terminal will have restocked.

Also when it comes to selling goods especially early on when money is a priority, don't automatically sell to the trade terminal. Often times you can get a much better return/price from recently landed ships, or in the case of minor settlements the components trader towards the back of the facility.

Caves are your friends

Firstly, you'll often find good old Vortex and Tetra Cobalt cubes hanging out in them (the former you can sell, the latter you can quickly refine into Ionised Cobalt which is a key ingredient in many components. Always worth keeping a few Tetracubes in your inventory).

Secondly, you can generally find a ready supply of Hazardous plants which you can either mine (or use the Hazmat glove on) to build up your Sodium & Oxygen stocks.

Recharging equipment

If you haven't figured out already with the mining and terrain manipulator tools its worth using Condensed Carbon and Magnetised Ferrite to charge each as you get more bang for your buck when it comes to output. However, when it comes to refining, you might as well use plain carbon if you have it as any excess fuel regardless of the origin will always be converted back to plain carbon.

Returning to locations

If you find a place of interest which you want to return to (say like an abandoned building, Resource Depot, Crashed Freighter or that small outpost which sells S rank Multitools you just can't afford right now), but for various reasons need to do something else first (like sell a load of stuff from your inventory) and don't yet have beacons to mark it, use your scanner to take note of the planetary coordinates (either with a screenshot or good old pen & paper) and then when you want to get back to it establish your current co-ordinates then: -

Compare the first values of current and target coordinates:

If target x > current x, travel west.
If target x < current x, travel east.

Compare the second values of current and target coordinates:

If target y > current y, travel south.
If target y < current y, travel north.

Learn to make components

Use your signal booster to scan for secure locations and uncover Manufacturing and Operational facilities and then raid them (I favour using my ship to blow the security doors off then land once the sentinel's alarm has run out). There's a good chance that once you successfully complete the facilities riddle you'll learn a useful formula that can turn a few mundane mined minerals into a real money spinner.

See Gribblegruders post for information on formula element requirements below: -

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/no-m...ng-or-get-busy-mining.1465023/#post-253413602

The Signal Booster

Once you've cleared a location such as a Manufacturing Facility or a Drop-pod use the free 'scan for nearby structures' option on your Signal booster and there's a good chance that it will highlight another nearby location of the same type. Eventually, the game will inevitably refer you back to a previously visited location (in which case it's time to fly off somewhere further away and start again), but I've been able to successfully chain 4 - 5 locations of the same sort using this method before having to move on.

Economy Scanner

Essential gear. Not only because it allows you to see what the economy is of a system you can jump to, but (and more practically) it also allows you to scan planets for Trade posts via the utility options (same place you can change your ships view).

Hyperdrives

In order to get to the more funky looking planets in the game, you're going to need to invest in the Cadmium, Emeril & Iridium Drives which will allow you to travel to Red, Green & Blue star systems respectively (best built in your starships technology slots btw). The Cadmium drive can be created using typical resources (Chromatic Metal and a Technology Module IIRC) however, you'll only find the Cadmium necessary to build the Emeril Drive on planets around a Red Star and similarly to build the Iridium drive you'll need to travel to a Green Star to get the Emeril for that. However, once you have built up to the Iridium Drive, you can actually get rid of the other two drives and free those technology slots up for other uses (like extra hyperdrive/pulse drive upgrades) because the Iridium Drive alone will give you full access to Red, Green & Blue systems.

Hopefully, those are enough pointers to start off with (I'll add more down the road). I look forward to seeing others suggestions and likely learning a thing or two myself.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nice work. I just want to point something out though. This configuration isn't optimal. The advanced laser gives the least bonus of all so the advanced laser should be replaced with an S-class upgrade and then the advanced laser should touch either of the three S-class upgrades. This way you get two S-class upgrades giving the mining tool a bonus and a third giving the two touching the laser a bonus, leaving the advanced laser getting a bonus from any of those three it touches. Unfortunately the laser cannot be moved so the 'real' optimal configuration cannot be achieved, however it can be achieved with base tech you install. The optimal shape is a cross.

3CE972D92AEAF51959AEA64D313C3EF7DA0E7B5E

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I wish I had some advice to offer but I Platinum'd the game when it was vanilla and I haven't really dug into all the new changes since then. Excellent post, though!

Scanning has always been a lucrative yet safe way to rack up cash. If I'm not mistaken, completing all the potential scans on a planet nets you a bonus, too? Quite easy to do on the "dead" worlds, but (again, if I'm not mistaken) the lush worlds full of life will offer a much larger bonus to compensate for the larger list of flora and fauna that you need to scan.

Oh, don't neglect oceans, especially on planets with life. They are often packed with stuff to find.

Kadayi

Banned
Nice work. I just want to point something out though. This configuration isn't optimal. The advanced laser gives the least bonus of all so the advanced laser should be replaced with an S-class upgrade and then the advanced laser should touch either of the three S-class upgrades. This way you get two S-class upgrades giving the mining tool a bonus and a third giving the two touching the laser a bonus, leaving the advanced laser getting a bonus from any of those three it touches. Unfortunately the laser cannot be moved so the 'real' optimal configuration cannot be achieved, however it can be achieved with base tech you install. The optimal shape is a cross.

The point I'm making is about the scanner upgrades and how you can have 3S + 1B, not the mining laser. If you have information to add about optimal arrangements feel free to show some example screenshots. They'll be much easier for people to understand.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The point I'm making is about the scanner upgrades and how you can have 3S + 1B, not the mining laser. If you have information to add about optimal arrangements feel free to show some example screenshots. They'll be much easier for people to understand.

... I'd also replace the Waveform and the Visor with S-class upgrades and put the Waveform and Visor at the bottom. :)

By the way, that was the name of the multitool when I got it:

30380782888_aabb9b0330_b.jpg

I could have placed the Scatter Blaster tech across one and formed half a cross but the problem with that, due to limited space, is I'd then be left with two slots, one in either corner, which isn't great. If they'd have made it a 6 by 4 grid, it would have been easier to optimise upgrades.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
If you want to glitch your way to unlimited funds, play with a buddy online. Each of you make a base with your own farm (one plant of each). Go to each other's farms while you're both online and you can just keep harvesting unlimited numbers of each plant.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Another tip I would recommend, especially at the beginning of the game before you've upgraded your storage, is to ONLY collect what you need. You'll rapidly run out of space and won't feel like deleting anything because it 'might' come in useful at some point.

Kadayi

Banned
Another tip I would recommend, especially at the beginning of the game before you've upgraded your storage, is to ONLY collect what you need. You'll rapidly run out of space and won't feel like deleting anything because it 'might' come in useful at some point.

Agreed. It's partly why I suggest just getting on an advancing the storyline until you unlock the antimatter formula and are then able to repair Drop-pods. Lack of any real ability to upgrade your inventory, bar the space station terminals is just a hindrance you don't need, so there;'s little point spending any more time as necessary on planet versus moving the narrative along. Once you've got that unlocked, then you're going to be in a better position to round yourself out at your leisure and revisit your starting system.

aY227

If you have terrain manipulator, farming larva cores will give REALLY nice starting profit:

(I also think that those eggs will respawn, but not sure about it)

Dig such a holes all around, and then jump from one to another.

Also learn to meele jump. (meele key + jetpack) -

Kadayi

Banned
If you have terrain manipulator, farming larva cores will give REALLY nice starting profit:

(I also think that those eggs will respawn, but not sure about it)

Dig such a holes all around, and then jump from one to another.

That's my that's my approach also. I know some people do the jumping on egg thing, but that seems inherently risky versus letting the eggs just roll down to you. What I tend to do is make a little alcove to the side and slightly higher up so that the egg is clearly visible in front of me when it comes to rest (I also go first person as well so the eggs are easier to target on the ground). It's also good policy I find to make a save using a mobile point after every batch just in case things do go tits up for some reason.

The chaining effect using the signal booster searching for nearby structures works pretty well with abandoned buildings also I've found. On the flipside though, albeit it can be a way to make good money early on. it can feel like a bit of a time sink with the rinse and repeat and cooldown on the monstrosities. I like to break it up a little with other activities so the tedium doesn't set in.

Not sure about the eggs respawning as I haven't had cause to revisit a cleared site yet, however, I don't see why not given Crashed Freighters do.

Last edited:

aY227

On the flipside though, albeit it can be a way to make good money early on. it can feel like a bit of a time sink with the rinse and repeat and cooldown on the monstrosities.

Not sure I undrestand it correctly.
Why to wait for monstorsities cooldown?

aY227

In terms of them crawling back underground. I guess perhaps you dig all the holes first, whereas I do them sequentially?

Yes, first dig all holes than just jump from one to another - even without shield upgrades they cant do much.

Snoopycat

Banned
It's a good idea to number your systems as you go along and rename any planets by what type they are and any rare/valuable minerals they got

Kadayi

Banned
It's a good idea to number your systems as you go along and rename any planets by what type they are and any rare/valuable minerals they got

Similarly, I was thinking to rename animals to relate to where you find them so for instance ' Plain's predator' or 'Cave squibbly' so when you're hunting down that last elusive one, you can figure out where not to look. I haven't necessarily gone down that route yet, but I'm thinking it could make life easier.

Snoopycat

Banned
Similarly, I was thinking to rename animals to relate to where you find them so for instance ' Plain's predator' or 'Cave squibbly' so when you're hunting down that last elusive one, you can figure out where not to look. I haven't necessarily gone down that route yet, but I'm thinking it could make life easier.

It definitely saves a lot of time when you have to do fetch quests or find materials for upgrades

Darias

Great OP! Took me hours and hours to figure that out on release, and restarting a month or so ago it was still tedious. You really summed it up well!

Are you saying there are proximity bonuses within the add-on modules for the multitool and the exosuit? As in - the physical configuration of the modules has an effect on their bonus effectiveness?

How the frak have I missed that?!

Now I need to redo everything. :goog_lol:

Unrelated - Kadayi -- do a NMS Photo tour thread too!!

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Great OP! Took me hours and hours to figure that out on release, and restarting a month or so ago it was still tedious. You really summed it up well!

Are you saying there are proximity bonuses within the add-on modules for the multitool and the exosuit? As in - the physical configuration of the modules has an effect on their bonus effectiveness?

How the frak have I missed that?!

Now I need to redo everything. :goog_lol:

Unrelated - Kadayi -- do a NMS Photo tour thread too!!

Yes. You have the main tech (which you install or is installed already) and then you have the upgrades. When the upgrades touch the main tech, they give it a bonus, so the more that touch it, the higher the bonus. The best configuration is a half cross, with three S-class upgrades touching the main tech. This isn't always easy though, especially in the ship and multitool tech slots. The next best set up is two touching and one in the corner touching the two others. In other words 'a square' of tech + upgrades. Anything related to that tech also gives a bonus so it's worth experimenting to see which upgrade/tech turns the same colour when placed next to something already installed (the box colour). As the OP pointed out, the Waveform tech is related to the scanner tech so gives a bonus. Notice how the analysis visor has the same coloured box as the tech I've placed it next to. As does the waveform.

Don't forget you can also duplicate upgrades if they're in different locations. So, you can have three S-class upgrades in the tech slot of your suit as well as three S-class upgrades in your main inventory. It's the same with the ships. Only the multitool doesn't offer this.

30380782888_aabb9b0330_b.jpg

I get between 127,000 and 503,000 per animal scan with this set up and it's only an 'A' class gun. It's also worth saving and reloading when purchasing upgrades. To use the example I've given, I did this to make sure the Fauna got the most bonuses because it increases it by 10s of thousands while the Flora gives a few thousands.

Last edited:

aY227

I might try that, though I hate dying :)

6 minutes for one base, ~1.8M profit.

Also, do You know a trick with runaway mould? You can buy it from ships/at statios (really cheap), and than refine 5:1 to nanites.
https://steamcommunity.com/id/aY227/screenshot/965347739084785564

Same with platinium, but platinium is rare/expensive.

Don't forget you can also duplicate upgrades if they're in different locations. So, you can have three S-class upgrades in the tech slot of your suit as well as three S-class upgrades in your main inventory. It's the same with the ships. Only the multitool doesn't offer this.

This.
6x S-class shields will allow you to meele sentiels.
Those "6x" are a little game breaking, but fun :)

mitchman

Gold Member
You can refine Platinum (get it from blow up astroids) or Runaway Mold (buy it from ships or on the market) to Nanite Clusters if you don't want to go hunting for them or need a bunch right away. Runaway Mold are often sold in batches of 3-4000 which refines to 1/5th of that in nanite.

Kadayi

Banned
Use Photo Mode to your advantage

As I'm often chaining locations like manufacturing Facilities or Drop-pods inevitably there will come a point where the game will refer me back to somewhere I've been before. Rather than landing and then being all: -

tenor.gif

If I think I may have been somewhere before I usually do a low flyby then drop into camera mode and then use that to look for telltale signs. With used Drop-pods it's the red symbol at the back of the pod, with manufacturing facilities it's generally the lack of a door and the light being blue inside.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
When trying to find exotic plants you need to harvest, such as Salarium, always fly to the dark side of a planet. Luminescence is your friend.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Moreso from the point of - "I've been playing this since release... How did I miss whatever context hint that points that out so blindly and thoroughly?!"

It's not like me. :pie_mansinger:

It was the same with the Tau, Sigma and Theta upgrades so it followed it would work similarly with NEXT.

Kadayi

Banned
Upgrade Rewards

Occasionally the game will proffer up random equipment/ship upgrades and more often than not these aren't anything you're going to install (though once in a blue moon you might get a nice S-rank). However, don't be thinking to just trash these as they are seemingly worthless. You can actually sell them to any space station vendors for nanites. It's not obvious because there's only the "buy upgrades" dialogue, but just as with trade terminals you can toggle between buy/sell as well as exo-suit and ship inventories. Any of the vendors will happily buy unwanted parts.

Last edited:

Darias

Upgrade Rewards

Occasionally the game will proffer up random equipment/ship upgrades and more often than not these aren't anything you're going to install (though once in a blue moon you might get a nice S-rank). However, don't be thinking to just trash these as they are seemingly worthless. You can actually sell them to any space station vendors for nanites. It's not obvious because there's only the "buy upgrades" dialogue, but just as with trade terminals you can toggle between buy/sell as well as exo-suit and ship inventories. Any of the vendors will happily buy unwanted parts.

Yep... I've probably thrown away at least a dozen duplicate S-Class upgrade modules. *sigh*

TY!

Kadayi

Banned
Yep... I've probably thrown away at least a dozen duplicate S-Class upgrade modules. *sigh*

You're not alone, rest assured. It's not clear at all, same with being able to sell goods to the components vendor in the back of the Minor Settlements.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

TY!

As well as selling them, you can take the roll to see if they're better than what you've already got. It's something I don't normally do in games but I feel as if we should be able to see the stats before we buy.

Let's say you have three S-class scanning upgrades but one of them has lower stats then the other two. Save the game by jumping in and out of your ship. Now delete the worse one and install the new S-class upgrade. Make a note (or a mental note) of the deleted tech and see if it's better. If it is, leave it. If it isn't, reload and try it again. You can do this when buying too. If you buy an S-class update from a space station, jump in and out of your ship to save it and then reload. The merchant will now have another S-class upgrade. Keep doing this until you have three (or six if it's a tech you can duplicate for your ship/suit).

I've got good stats but I still often do this just to see if I can improve the worse one slightly.

Just a quick addition to this: If you're buying S-class scanner modules always roll for the highest Fauna because you get better rewards for the percentage gains. 9000% Fauna/ 7000% Flora is much better than 9000% Flora/ 7000% Fauna.

Last edited:

taizuke

If you have the terrain manipulator you can use it to find buried technology out in the open. 15 of them can be sold for 750,000 units. A quick way to make a lot of money.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
If you're a longtime player confused by NEXT:

I feel ya. A lot of elements have been done away with completely, and the basics of what fuels what is not readily apparent.

Refueling elements now exist in both base and condensed forms. You can find the condensed forms in crystalline deposits but more often you'll run the base forms through a refiner yourself. Generally condensing operates in a 2-for-1 ratio, so you'll end up with half the quantity.

Using the condensed form will save you resources overall, however, as proportionally less is required. For example, powering a hydroponic tray requires 50 Carbon but only 17 Condensed Carbon -- less than the 25 which would be an actually halved amount.

(Note: "previously fueled by" and "now fueled by" mean on average. There were and are alternative resources.)

• Mining Beam: previously fueled by Plutonium. Now fueled by Carbon or Condensed Carbon. I like to keep a lot of Condensed Carbon in my exosuit's Cargo space for this.
  • Terrain Manipulator: previously fueled by Plutonium. Now fueled by Ferrite Dust, Pure Ferrite or Magnetized Ferrite (double condensed!).
  • Life Support: previously fueled by Thamium. Now fueled by Oxygen, or Oxygen Capsules. Thamium plants now produce Oxygen.
  • Ship Launch Thrusters: previously fueled by Plutonium. Now fueled by Starship Launch Fuel, made from Di-Hydrogen (blue crystals) and Metal Plating (made from Ferrite Dust, a form of what we used to call Iron).
  • Ship Pulse Thrusters: previously fueled by Thamium or Iron. Now fueled by Tritium -- found in asteroids.
  • Personal and Ship Shields: previously fueled by Zinc. Now fueled by Sodium and Sodium Nitrate (the condensed form). Zinc plants now produce Sodium.
Iron is now Ferrite Dust and Pure Ferrite. Both are still found in rocks and you still need a lot of it for building. You can turn Ferrite Dust into Pure Ferrite with a refiner.

Follow the Base Archive Recovery Mission. It actually completely regenerates your pre-next Base, including any crops you were growing and your storage units.

You can maintain multiple bases. Personally I maintain a large home base and several small outposts on planets whose resources I need regularly. These outposts consist of one room with a Save Point, Portable Refiner and Base Teleporter.

To establish a base, you must first claim the area with a Base Computer.

Farming has changed. It used to be that if you had a plant's "fruit," you could grow more of that plant. Solanium was needed to grow a Solar Vine. Now, you need material from the type of planet where a crop thrives -- to reproduce its native soil, I suppose. These elements will usually be found as secondary elements in rocks or plants that you can't collect until you scan to uncover the secondary elements.
  • For Frostwort (producing Frost Crystals): you need Dioxite found in frozen biomes.
  • For Solar Vines (producing Solanium): you need Phosphorous found in scorched biomes.
  • For Gamma Weed (producing Gamma Root): you need Uranium found in radioactive biomes.
  • For Echinocactus (producing Cactus Flesh): you need Pyrite found in desert biomes.
  • For Star Bramble (producing Star Bulbs): you need Paraffinium found in lush biomes.
  • For Fungal Clusters (producing Fungal Mold): you need Ammonia found in toxic biomes.
Here's a neat trick though: any of these six materials (Dioxite --> Phosphorous --> Uranium --> Pyrite --> Paraffinium --> Ammonia --> back to Dioxite) can be turned into the next by mixing it with a base material like Ferrite Dust in a Large Refiner. You'll lose half the material in doing so, but sometimes it's worth it to avoid an interstellar rock hunt...

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Quick tip to get players over a minor UI bug: both the Superoxide Crystal and Destabilized Sodium refiner recipes do work; you just will not see any visible progress in the refiner. Wait long enough and you’ll get the expected end product.

Great thread. I installed it after the new update, but I barely played it. Might've been because I used my old save, maybe easier to feel inspired to play on a new save. It was kinda confusing, considering a lot of my items had become phased out and turned just into scrap to sell. I might try again and follow to nice information in the OP.

Kadayi

Banned
On bought upgrades

From what I can determine the stats on upgrades are fixed at the time of purchase. So you do want to play around with reloading in order to get better results, then you need to make your save before buying and installing. I could be wrong on this, but that's been my experience so far.

Elite 2020

Neo Member
A ton of good info here. I am happy with the changes they made to the game and a good thank you to everyone who posted great tips in this thread. For new players this thread should be a great help.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You can quickly turn condensed carbon back to carbon by placing down a foundry, fuelling it with condensed carbon and then picking the foundry up.

Top Bottom