• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No online in GTA:San Andreas

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Gattsu25 said:
the world is shocked

the GTA:SA haters will feign a sudden lack of interest

life continues

Couldn't have said it better myself... hahahah

(or CHSIBM)

lordmrw

I say a big whoop de frigging doo. What would have been the purpose of online anyway? Its not necessary for every game.

Insertia

If the next GTA doesn't have some form of online play then I'll consider Rockstar a bunch of lazy bums. If a couple of modders can add an online deathmatch to GTA3, Rockstar can surely do it.

Redbeard

Banned
What would the point be? The appeal of GTA is that you're throwing a wrench into the system. Take that out and add a bunch of others that just want to kill everyone and you're left with 25 to Life (or whatever that online ganster/shooter game is).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hasn't this been known for like a year plus now. I'm pretty sure the plan all along was to make "GTA IV" (the next gen GTA) the one with online play.

Redbeard said:
What would the point be? The appeal of GTA is that you're throwing a wrench into the system. Take that out and add a bunch of others that just want to kill everyone and you're left with 25 to Life (or whatever that online ganster/shooter game is).

Have you played Multi Theft Auto? It's fucking awesome.

Gattsu25

Banned
meh. make a list of all the franchises that could seriously benefit from an online mode, and I wouldn't think GTA would even be in the top 30

belgurdo

Banned
Methinks they're waiting for "GTA Online" or whatever so that people won't bitch about series continuity (or the "is FFXII going to be online too? Oh teh noes" type of complaining that can hurt potential sales after that game releases)

andthebeatgoeson

lordmrw said:
I say a big whoop de frigging doo. What would have been the purpose of online anyway? Its not necessary for every game.

Who actually wanted online for this game? Online will only enhance the shitty control and camera, making them more shittier. You want to jack a vehicle and shoot people? Wait for Halo 2.

Gattsu25

Banned
off topic but after watching a Halo 2 vid, the car jacking aspect seems to be a little too easy to pull off

EDIT: love the avatar, redbeard

andthebeatgoeson

To Gattsu:Same thing for GTA. :p

Off topic:
My PS2 gives me fits when I go to pause GTA:VC. Should I just buy another and accept Sony's master plan?

Redbeard said:
I haven't. What's it like?

It's fantastic. You run around with other guys in the city. I only played the mod when it was pretty early. The civilians weren't in it (don't know if they still are). You just have a ball doing whatever you want. There are races in the arena or you can just smash into each other demo derby style. The fun is amplified if you know the people you're playing with IRL.

Cubsfan23

Banned
lordmrw said:

We'll never know since Rockstar is lazy. Does it even have offline multiplayer?

shuri

Banned
For those of you that werent there when GTA1 and 2 came out for pc,

the multiplayer support was awful over the net, but in lan, it was fun as hell.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
MetatronM said:
Hasn't this been known for like a year plus now. I'm pretty sure the plan all along was to make "GTA IV" (the next gen GTA) the one with online play.

Yeah, this isn't really news.

I think some people were still hoping for some kind of online functionality, if not gameplay, then extra downloads.

I imagine GTA IV Online will resemble the bank robbery gone wrong in the movie HEAT. 4 criminals vs 4 police officers would be enough for some wild gameplay.

I used to enjoy playing GTA 2 on a LAN... I've tried Multi Theft Auto for Vice City but it was so incredibly buggy and laggy over a LAN that it wasn't even worth it. I'm impressed by the fact that they got multiplayer into a game that had none, but I don't think it works well enough to be enjoyable.

Ranger X

Houser is right in what he say. Putting GTA online for now would be an undertaking of the single player. Colossal undertaking.
I thank them to take 2 years and devellop us an incredible multi-city one.

Top Bottom