• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[no spoilers] God of War Ragnarok's optional/challenge boss fights are the one thing that I think really sucks about this game

Drizzlehell

Banned
Let's be real here for a moment.

There's nothing unique or interesting about those fights that would set them apart from any regular story boss encounters, and the only challenge stems from the hideously long health pools of those enemies, and their uncanny ability to drain your own health bar in three hits. So, in other words, the only thing that's in any way challenging about those fights is trying to stay awake throughout the whole thing because each of them is so mindlessly repetitive, and they go on for such a goddamend long time that I literally start thinking about something else while I'm mashing the attack button and dodging the same repetitive attacks, until I inevitably get distracted enough to slip up and let the enemy land a hit on me, essentially ending the fight because they used a bullshit special attack that ended me in one hit.

I swear, those are some of the worst boss fights that I've seen in a while in an otherwise excellent game.

Ulysses 31

There's nothing unique or interesting about those fights that would set them apart from any regular story boss encounters, and the only challenge stems from the hideously long health pools of those enemies, and their uncanny ability to drain your own health bar in three hits. So, in other words, the only thing that's in any way challenging about those fights is trying to stay awake throughout the whole thing because each of them is so mindlessly repetitive, and they go on for such a goddamend long time that I literally start thinking about something else while I'm mashing the attack button and dodging the same repetitive attacks, until I inevitably get distracted enough to slip up and let the enemy land a hit on me, essentially ending the fight because they used a bullshit special attack that ended me in one hit.

I swear, those are some of the worst boss fights that I've seen in a while in an otherwise excellent game.
Playing on Give Me God of War?

The first one was kinda like this too on that difficulty so if you played that one this shouldn't really come as a surprise. Personally I prefer the challenge not coming from dying in 3 hits when fighting bosses too. 👀

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

Sounds like what Soulsborne bosses are. Isn't this what people actually like?

I haven't played the sequel yet. I loved the first game but did skip some of the optional endgame Valkyries. The combat system is great, but something about those felt off to me as well. Something about the attack telegraphing, or something I must have missed or didn't click with me. Most of the game, the combat was great though. I did have many issues at times thinking the camera was too close though.

And to agree with the OP, a great hard mode will change up attack patterns or add a new twist to a fight. A not great hard mode just increases enemy health and enemy damage and calls it a day. No idea what the new game is doing though, but I didn't bother with the hardest mode on the last one.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
My issue is that these are, for a lack of better words, pre-determined length. I am fighting the boss, using my arsenal, bring down the health bar....then comes a mandatory cutscene showing the boss doing a dance..... Then, back to depleting their health more...then another cutscene....then finish up working on the health. It doesn't matter how good you are, you will not get their health down any further/faster than you have because there are two cutscenes in there that they need to make time for. Cheese. And I am not saying God of War is the only one that does that (it isn't).

Flutta

Banned
So far the mini boss battles have been more fun imo. The story boss battles are weirdly designed, not sure what it is something feels off and i find myself not enjoying these encounters. Let’s see how the remaining boss fights plays out.

PS: I was also recently replaying Sekiro before this game lol.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It’s just bloat. I don’t like doing it but it’s gear and resources so I feel I need to.
I swear the veneheim hel drougr gave me a sweat more than any boss

Swift_Star

Banned
My issue is that these are, for a lack of better words, pre-determined length. I am fighting the boss, using my arsenal, bring down the health bar....then comes a mandatory cutscene showing the boss doing a dance..... Then, back to depleting their health more...then another cutscene....then finish up working on the health. It doesn't matter how good you are, you will not get their health down any further/faster than you have because there are two cutscenes in there that they need to make time for. Cheese. And I am not saying God of War is the only one that does that (it isn't).
It's been like that since the first game on PS2. It's just how GoW is. You'll always have these sequences. It's what people love about these games. It gives for a nice change of pace and it's a good division between boss phases.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
It's been like that since the first game on PS2. It's just how GoW is. You'll always have these sequences. It's what people love about these games. It gives for a nice change of pace and it's a good division between boss phases.
Fair enough. But for me, if I have the skills to take the boss down at an amazing pace, let me do it. They won't, but I would like that.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It's been like that since the first game on PS2. It's just how GoW is. You'll always have these sequences. It's what people loves about these games.
The whole point of GOW games even back in PS2 games is they are "cinematic" take on character action games, the combat less technical and free flow compare to games like DMC and Bayonetta series.

GymWolf

The first one was kinda like this too on that difficulty so if you played that one this shouldn't really come as a surprise. Personally I prefer the challenge not coming from dying in 3 hits when fighting bosses too. 👀
This time they are also more aggressive on max difficulty, that's why i'm playing in this mode, if it was just health pool i would have played on hard, but i wanted to experiment the hardest version of the enemies.

Bosses for now are being way easier than big group of varied enemies.

Drizzlehell

Banned
So far the mini boss battles have been more fun imo. The story boss battles are weirdly designed, not sure what it is something feels off and i find myself not enjoying these encounters. Let’s see how the remaining boss fights plays out.

PS: I was also recently replaying Sekiro before this game lol.
Story bosses aren't that great either for those reasons you mentioned but at least they have to courtesy of dying much faster, so at least that makes them more bearable.

tmlDan

Disagree, they are fine. The one thing that absolutely sucks about the game is how Sony Santa Monica considers the players so stupid and mentally incapable that they can't solve puzzles on their own.

Otherwise amazing, amazing, amazing game with great combat.
They really need to add an option to turn them off, i luckily have ignored it or solved puzzles before they say anything cause they're really easy (so far) but i can see how annoying the tips are without giving you a chance to solve

MiguelItUp

That sounds like GOW combat OP... It always kind of been that way IMO. The thing is, optional bosses are, well, optional. Therefore they're meant to be more difficulty, challenging, etc. But that combined with standard GOW mechanics... may not always for everyone. I've yet to complete Ragnarok thus far, but from what I've played so far, this hasn't bothered me at all. Nor did it in the pervious game.

Disagree, they are fine. The one thing that absolutely sucks about the game is how Sony Santa Monica considers the players so stupid and mentally incapable that they can't solve puzzles on their own.

This is really the only thing that has irked me so far. Albeit not a major issue. The few puzzles I've come across so far start with me assessing, seeing a solution, and acting on it. However, while doing so, Atreus starts yapping and forcefully trying to hand my hand through it. Not a fan. I figured it was just the first one too, but nope, keeps going, lol.

GymWolf

Story bosses aren't that great either for those reasons you mentioned but at least they have to courtesy of dying much faster, so at least that makes them more bearable.
Maybe you aren't strong enough stats\unlocked skills wise?

because i clearly remember side bosses and side encounters in the the first one were i was clearly underleveled and they were for late game\endgame.

Drizzlehell

Banned

Yeah, exactly. I really dislike those kinds of fights because they kinda lack imagination and are only challenging because of how they slowly erode your patience and prey on your attention span.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Maybe you aren't strong enough stats\unlocked skills wise?

because i clearly remember side bosses and side encounters in the the first one were i was clearly underleveled and they were for late game\endgame.
Not sure to be honest. I do try to explore every area and probably only missed out on really well-hidden chests. Most of my gear is currently at level 4-5 and I just got back to Midgard as Kratos - just beat that optional draug (one of The Hateful ones) and now I'm stuck on this Zealot bitch or whatever. That one is the worst because it's actually not a difficult enemy to figure out but she can literally take me down in 1-2 hits and it takes forever to drain her health bar.

Last edited:

Kvally

Banned
Not sure to be honest. I do try to explore every area and probably only missed out on really well-hidden chests. Most of my gear is currently at level 4-5 and I just got back to Midgard as Kratos - just beat that optional draug (one of The Hateful ones) and now I'm stuck on this Zealot bitch or whatever. That one is the worst because it's actually not a difficult enemy to figure out but she can literally take me down in 1-2 hits and it takes forever to drain her health bar.
This is exactly why I play on I am a Pussy Difficulty. I ain't got time for that shit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Is this really a thread?

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

OP, don't be sorry; be better!

From what I have seen so far they are pretty respectable, the last one I encountered had his ass handed out to him on the first try!

Use your rage
Be mobile, you can't stay in place in this game, they all have un-blocable often enough that you are forced to move
Keep your distances when you can
Block and counter
Use the kid (not as effective in the 1st game, but still good)

I had more problems with the bosses in 2018 on default difficulty, I started on the level above, but I had to drop when I met the fat guy. So it's not like I was some player that got gud.

xrnzaaas

Yeah it's really annoying when you arrive to a new puzzle area and 3 seconds later Mimir or your companion is already hinting the solution.

Chronicle

Git gud.

Fredrik

These are key design elements of the new God of War reboot, you’re asking for a different game.
Maybe, I guess what’s in there is an industry wide game design philisophy at this point. It’s nothing game breaking but it take away some enjoyment to have so much hand-holding and seeing big ol Kratos be stuck behind some rubble he would easily jump over if it was a cutscene, and I’m already annoyed at hearing Mimir shout that I should look behind me.

reezoo

My main issue is most of those fights are not one on one. It is extremely frustrating when you are trying to focus on main boss and get distracted by minions. You have a very limited field of view on tv screen and it’s just impossible to have more then one opponent and be fair to the player. Dying in few hits is fine as long as I get out something from the fight which usually is better understanding the boss. Adding minions just interrupt the whole process. Most of them are off screen you have no idea what they are doing and you are just reacting to yellow/red lights, might as well play dance dance Revolution then.

Soulsborne nailed this but there are f**kups around this in Elden Ring, hopefully they will be careful in future.

SLB1904

Banned
My main issue is most of those fights are not one on one. It is extremely frustrating when you are trying to focus on main boss and get distracted by minions. You have a very limited field of view on tv screen and it’s just impossible to have more then one opponent and be fair to the player. Dying in few hits is fine as long as I get out something from the fight which usually is better understanding the boss. Adding minions just interrupt the whole process. Most of them are off screen you have no idea what they are doing and you are just reacting to yellow/red lights, might as well play dance dance Revolution then.

Soulsborne nailed this but there are f**kups around this in Elden Ring, hopefully they will be careful in future.
Berserkers don't have minions. Honestly I think they more fun than the valkyries on the first game

yurinka

I'd say you basically have to git gud and level up or learn the game, and also know that some optional bosses are designed for the end game, once you completed the game and already leveled up enough and unlocked a lot of stuff.

When there are several enemies you can position yourself strategically in a way that see most enemies and have close to you only a fair amount of them instead of being in the middle of the battle surrounded by enemies or always just in front of the boss. When there are minions typically it's better to go away from the boss and without stopping to giving him attention due to long range attacks kill the minions while being far also to have time to collect the health orbs they'll leave when dying.

In addition to this, the game also provides growd management or area based related attack and skills. Plus also a roll evade movement that avoids basically all attacks that could come from behind. Plus certain enemies are also weaker to certain elemental attacks or type of support attacks specially. Try to learn what is more effective against each one instead of mashing the same attack button and the dodge button.

Same goes regarding using dodge as defensive option, remember there's also the shield parry that is the way to go in certain types of attack.

If you die in a few hits it's because you don't have equipped the proper build to defend against these kind of attacks, or that there is a quick way to kill that enemy using certain attacks that you may have not still unlocked or that still didn't upgrade your health bar.

Meaning that this optional boss pretty likely requires a higher level than you have so it's better to leave it for later or try to make a more appropiated build of weapons, special attacks, armors, type of support attacks etc. In general it's a good idea to complete first the main story and leave the optional stuff -particularly the optional bosses- for the end game once you completed the game.

Regarding the waves of minions, they are a temporal challenge inside the combat that as reward gives you extra health by killing them. In terms of game design it justifies a way to give you extra health that will be welcomed in a boss fight but require some effort from the player to earn it, in addition to make the combat more dynamic and less repetitive adding a different pattern to the ones the combat already has.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

I prefer to play the newer god of war games on the easiest setting.
Enemies are too tanky. I don't mind the damage they deal, but damage sponge effect on even basic jobbers is boring.

On higher difficulties, it starts to feel like a beat'em up game that relies too much on you wailing away at the attack button.
Kratos should NOT feel this weak.

Last edited:

Hugare

Optional bosses are meant to be hard. What did you expect?

Check its level. You may have encountered a boss that you arent suposed to fight right now (happened to me)

And well, I hate to say it but: git gud.

Memorizing attack patterns and countering them is part of the fun and keeps long battles engaging.

Top Bottom