• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nominations for the 86th Academy Awards - January 16 at 5:30 a.m

Status
Not open for further replies.

watershed

Banned
Sanda Bullock should take actress over Blanchett.

Both are great performances. Both very different and even though Sandra Bullock is basically the only actor in Gravity, Blanchett also overwhelmingly dominates the screen in Blue Jasmine.

Sandra Bullock's character is more likable and easier to root for but Cate Blanchett's performance is remarkable for its intensity, for being varied enough given she is playing a nearly one note character, and for the fact that you don't totally hate her by the end of the movie even though it would be very easy to.

Hard to say which performance I like more.

Both are great performances. Both very different and even though Sandra Bullock is basically the only actor in Gravity, Blanchett also overwhelmingly dominates the screen in Blue Jasmine.

Sandra Bullock's character is more likable and easier to root for but Cate Blanchett's performance is remarkable for its intensity, for being varied enough given she is playing a nearly one note character, and for the fact that you don't totally hate her by the end of the movie even though it would be very easy to.

Hard to say which performance I like more.

Gravity is an extremely tense film and I think that Bullocks acting really makes you feel and understand the (sorry for pun) gravity of the situation. It's basically a female Cast Away but without a shitty volleyball. A movie that long with just her screen presence is a huge accomplihpshment.

Blanchett is great and has a wide range of acting within the film, but I think a lot of the scenes work so well because of the others actors. Her sister, sisters boyfriends, and Baldwin all have great chemistry with her.

It's tough because both have had an award in the past few years with Aviator and Blind aside, but it will likely go to Blanchett because her award is aged.

tino

Banned
Gravity is an extremely tense film and I think that Bullocks acting really makes you feel and understand the (sorry for pun) gravity of the situation. It's basically a female Cast Away but without a shitty volleyball. A movie that long with just her screen presence is a huge accomplihpshment.

Blanchett is great and has a wide range of acting within the film, but I think a lot of the scenes work so well because of the others actors. Her sister, sisters boyfriends, and Baldwin all have great chemistry with her.

It's tough because both have had an award in the past few years with Aviator and Blind aside, but it will likely go to Blanchett because her award is aged.

Its not a very tense movie. I watched it again on small screen and frankly the movie didn't work.

edit: thats not to say Gravity won't get awards. It will be awarded on Oscar just for making so much money for the movie industry.

My picks look like:

Note: Haven't seen Dallas Buyers, Her, Philomena, Nebraska

Best Picture: Captain Phillips

Best Actor: Christian Bale
Best Supporting Actor: Michael Fassbender (just saw this last night - wow, what an awesome performance.)

Best Actress: Sanda? I dont' know, haven't seen a few of the nominees but I don't think Amy Adams deserves it.
Best Supporting Actress: Again, I dont know. I don't think J-Law deserves it.

Rixxan

so, people in the "know"

how good are leo's chances this year?

i have a feeling that if by chance he did win, he would receive a ridiculous standing ovation

Ridley327

so, people in the "know"

how good are leo's chances this year?

i have a feeling that if by chance he did win, he would receive a ridiculous standing ovation

Slim, especially with the momentum of that category swinging heavily into McConaughey's favor. Not impossible, but there's a clear favorite now.

Rixxan

I have yet to see either Wolf or Dallas Buyers (shame on me), so i look forward to seeing the two performances

I can't say I would hate a McConaughey win, he's been on a tear and i'm loving him in True Detective

but Leo man, guy has been a top 5 actor for what feels like 20 years now, it's absurd that he's never won one, can't think of anyone more deserving

Ridley327

I have yet to see either Wolf or Dallas Buyers (shame on me), so i look forward to seeing the two performances

I can't say I would hate a McConaughey win, he's been on a tear and i'm loving him in True Detective

but Leo man, guy has been a top 5 actor for what feels like 20 years now, it's absurd that he's never won one, can't think of anyone more deserving

If it makes you feel better, every single actor nominated in the category this year deserves to win. It's been an absolutely outstanding year for male leads, and you can make a few lists comprised of five other actors, and they would all be just as strong as the list that the Academy wound up with.

number11

Where did this obsession with Leo getting an Oscar come from? At the start it was just a funny meme.

The only role he deserved an Oscar for was for Gilbert Grape.. for all his other performances there was always someone better.

tino

Banned
Where did this obsession with Leo getting an Oscar come from? At the start it was just a funny meme.

The only role he deserved an Oscar for was for Gilbert Grape.. for all his other performances there was always someone better.

This forum has a crash on Leo.

I don't think he will get the Oscar until he socialize and work with more directors. Scorsese didn't win the Oscar until he stopped trying either.

strafer

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wouldn't be so sure. Last Year, Ben Affleck swept all the director awards and wasn't even nominated for the Oscar

Eh, that's an awful example. Affleck wasn't nominated for the Oscar, so whatever award he could take didn't mean anything. Argo won Best Picture because it was the politically friendly film that did not offend anyone and everyone felt so soooo sorry for poor Affleck. Poor fella with a mansion, millions of dollars, a hot wife, some wonderful kids and an Oscar for Writing already. Poor Ben :(

DGA has an almost flawless track record predicting the Directing Oscar. Cuarón is a lock, but BP is still in the air for anyone to just grab it.

People keep saying this year is going to be a split between 12YAS and Gravity, but I just can't see that happening. Movies like 12YaS tend to swept the whole damn thing. Is an historical period piece drama, people, yet is not even a favorite on any of the below-the-line categories. The Great Gatsby is almost a lock for Costumes and Production Design might go to either Gravity (Avatar anyone?) American Hustle (consolation price like Bugsy) or The Great Gatsby (because is Catherine fucking Martin)

Nyong'o is probably winning Supporting Actress and deservedly so. Adapted Screenplay is a race between 12YaS and Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese is beloved and the Academy liked the film more than any other organization based on nominations)

The Academy loves to give everyone a piece of the cake, so the best you could do is to predict which award is going to the 9 nominees. This is how I see it now:

Gravity: Picture, Directing, Cinematography, Editing, Visual Effects, both Sound awards, Score but I'm predicting Newman for that one for some reason.
12YaS: Supporting Actress. Nyong'o is fantastic and it would be a great way to reward the film.
Wolf of Wall Street: Adapted Screenplay, maybe Actor if Leo wins BAFTA and starts one hell of a campaign. I'm rooting for him cuz god damn he was great in Wolf. Also, how many Scorsese movies have gone home empty handed? Even Age of Innocence won one.
Dallas Buyers Club: Actor, Supporting Actor, Make up
Her: Original Screenplay, Original Song
American Hustle: maybe Original Screenplay if they give song to Her in a way to reward Jonze. Maybe Costumes or Production Design.
Philomena: None and who fucking cares
Captain Phillips: Maybe one of the Sound awards if they want to really give everyone a piece of the cake.
Nebraska: None, which is a shame. I'm still rooting for either Dern or Leo for Actor. Fuck awright awright awright-naughey.

tino

Banned
Eh, that's an awful example. Affleck wasn't nominated for the Oscar, so whatever award he could take didn't mean anything. Argo won Best Picture because it was the politically friendly film that did not offend anyone and everyone felt so soooo sorry for poor Affleck. Poor fella with a mansion, millions of dollars, a hot wife, some wonderful kids and an Oscar for Writing already. Poor Ben :(

DGA has an almost flawless track record predicting the Directing Oscar. Cuarón is a lock, but BP is still in the air for anyone to just grab it.

People keep saying this year is going to be a split between 12YAS and Gravity, but I just can't see that happening. Movies like 12YaS tend to swept the whole damn thing. Is an historical period piece drama, people, yet is not even a favorite on any of the below-the-line categories. The Great Gatsby is almost a lock for Costumes and Production Design might go to either Gravity (Avatar anyone?) American Hustle (consolation price like Bugsy) or The Great Gatsby (because is Catherine fucking Martin)

Nyong'o is probably winning Supporting Actress and deservedly so. Adapted Screenplay is a race between 12YaS and Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese is beloved and the Academy liked the film more than any other organization based on nominations)

The Academy loves to give everyone a piece of the cake, so the best you could do is to predict which award is going to the 9 nominees. This is how I see it now:

Gravity: Picture, Directing, Cinematography, Editing, Visual Effects, both Sound awards, Score but I'm predicting Newman for that one for some reason.
12YaS: Supporting Actress. Nyong'o is fantastic and it would be a great way to reward the film.
Wolf of Wall Street: Adapted Screenplay, maybe Actor if Leo wins BAFTA and starts one hell of a campaign. I'm rooting for him cuz god damn he was great in Wolf. Also, how many Scorsese movies have gone home empty handed? Even Age of Innocence won one.
Dallas Buyers Club: Actor, Supporting Actor, Make up
Her: Original Screenplay, Original Song
American Hustle: maybe Original Screenplay if they give song to Her in a way to reward Jonze. Maybe Costumes or Production Design.
Philomena: None and who fucking cares
Captain Phillips: Maybe one of the Sound awards if they want to really give everyone a piece of the cake.
Nebraska: None, which is a shame. I'm still rooting for either Dern or Leo for Actor. Fuck awright awright awright-naughey.

Slave can still sweep BP and 3 acting roles and other minor awards. Fassbender was very good in it.

I think Gravity can win Best Director for its box office and the personal risk the director Cuarón took on the job. Personally I think Gravity is a dumb movie (on the same level of Argo)

I don't think American Hustle will win anything.

I think this year's Oscar will have very few winning result piss me off. I would love to see Leo or MM win best actors but Chiwetel Ejiofor did a very good job too.

UberTag

After having watched evert film in each of the major categories, here are my personal selections and predictions...

Best motion picture of the year

WILL WIN: “12 Years a Slave” Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Steve McQueen and Anthony Katagas, Producers
MY CHOICE: “Gravity” Alfonso Cuarón and David Heyman, Producers

My Best Picture rankings from personal favorite to least favorite...
1) Gravity
2) Her
3) The Wolf of Wall Street
4) Philomena
5) Dallas Buyers Club
6) American Hustle
7) 12 Years a Slave
8) Nebraska
9) Captain Phillips

Achievement in directing

WILL WIN: “Gravity” Alfonso Cuarón
MY CHOICE: “12 Years a Slave” Steve McQueen (look at me being contrarian in the top 2 categories)

Best animated feature film of the year

WILL WIN: “Frozen” Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee and Peter Del Vecho
MY CHOICE: “Ernest & Célestine” Benjamin Renner and Didier Brunner

Performance by an actor in a leading role

WILL WIN: Matthew McConaughey in “Dallas Buyers Club”
MY CHOICE: Matthew McConaughey in “Dallas Buyers Club”

Performance by an actress in a leading role

WILL WIN: Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”
MY CHOICE: Sandra Bullock in “Gravity”

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

WILL WIN: Jared Leto in “Dallas Buyers Club”
MY CHOICE: Jared Leto in “Dallas Buyers Club”

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

WILL WIN: Lupita Nyong’o in “12 Years a Slave”
MY CHOICE: Lupita Nyong’o in “12 Years a Slave”

Adapted screenplay

WILL WIN: “12 Years a Slave” Screenplay by John Ridley
MY CHOICE: “Before Midnight” Written by Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke

Original screenplay

WILL WIN: “Her” Written by Spike Jonze
MY CHOICE: “Her” Written by Spike Jonze

Achievement in cinematography

WILL WIN: “Gravity” Emmanuel Lubezki
MY CHOICE: “Gravity” Emmanuel Lubezki

Achievement in film editing

WILL WIN: “Gravity” Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger
MY CHOICE: “Gravity” Alfonso Cuarón and Mark Sanger

Achievement in visual effects

WILL WIN: “Gravity” Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk and Neil Corbould
MY CHOICE: “Gravity” Tim Webber, Chris Lawrence, David Shirk and Neil Corbould

Achievement in production design

WILL WIN: “The Great Gatsby” Production Design: Catherine Martin; Set Decoration: Beverley Dunn
MY CHOICE: “Her” Production Design: K.K. Barrett; Set Decoration: Gene Serdena

Achievement in costume design

WILL WIN: “The Great Gatsby” Catherine Martin
MY CHOICE: “American Hustle” Michael Wilkinson

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling

WILL WIN: “Dallas Buyers Club” Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews
MY CHOICE: “Dallas Buyers Club” Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

WILL WIN: “Gravity” Steven Price
MY CHOICE: “Gravity” Steven Price

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

WILL WIN: “Let It Go” from “Frozen” Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
MY CHOICE: “Let It Go” from “Frozen” Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

Achievement in sound editing

WILL WIN: “Gravity” Glenn Freemantle
MY CHOICE: “Gravity” Glenn Freemantle

Achievement in sound mixing

WILL WIN: “Gravity” Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro
MY CHOICE: “Gravity” Skip Lievsay, Niv Adiri, Christopher Benstead and Chris Munro

Best foreign language film of the year

WILL WIN: “The Great Beauty” Italy
MY CHOICE: “The Hunt” Denmark

Best documentary feature

WILL WIN: “20 Feet from Stardom” Morgan Neville, Gil Friesen and Caitrin Rogers
MY CHOICE: “The Act of Killing”Joshua Oppenheimer and Signe Byrge Sørensen

Best live action short film

WILL WIN: “The Voorman Problem” Mark Gill and Baldwin Li
MY CHOICE: “Aquel No Era Yo (That Wasn’t Me)” Esteban Crespo

Best animated short film

WILL WIN: “Get a Horse!” Lauren MacMullan and Dorothy McKim
MY CHOICE: “Get a Horse!” Lauren MacMullan and Dorothy McKim

Best documentary short subject

WILL WIN: “The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My Life” Malcolm Clarke and Nicholas Reed
MY CHOICE: “CaveDigger” Jeffrey Karoff

Dizzan

MINI Member
I've seen "most" of the major players.

To me, 12 years a slave should win motion picture and direction.

No film has ever made me feel so uncomfortably in the moment. It was horrific but engaging.

I loved Captain Phillips, Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle and I was captivated by Gravity (wouldn't be upset if it took out Best Direction) but 12 YAS was a gut wrenching insight into slavery which had me emotionally spent.

Brilliant movie.

thenexus6

Although i've not seen Dallas Buyers Club, I can see McConaughey taking it. Leo and Wolf aren't really the kind of film to take best actor.

After having watched evert film in each of the major categories, here are my personal selections and predictions...

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

WILL WIN: Jared Leto in “Dallas Buyers Club”
MY CHOICE: Jared Leto in “Dallas Buyers Club”

Michael Fassbender, or I will riot. I mean Leto was good. But Fass was amazing.

I've seen "most" of the major players.

To me, 12 years a slave should win motion picture and direction.

No film has ever made me feel so uncomfortably in the moment. It was horrific but engaging.

I loved Captain Phillips, Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle and I was captivated by Gravity (wouldn't be upset if it took out Best Direction) but 12 YAS was a gut wrenching insight into slavery which had me emotionally spent.

Brilliant movie.

Slave was good. But I go Captain Phillips. I dont know why I loved that movie so much, but it was so awesome to me.

My Best Picture rankings:

1a. Captain Phillips
1b. Dallas Buyers Club
3. 12 Years A Slave
4. Her
5. American Hustle
6. Gravity
7. Wolf of Wallstreet

Although i've not seen Dallas Buyers Club, I can see McConaughey taking it. Leo and Wolf aren't really the kind of film to take best actor.

If you think he'll take it without even seeing Dallas, then you gonna shit your pants when you actually see the movie.

UberTag

Ernest & Celestine is a much better movie in every single sense.
It's a shame nobody watched it.

I haven't seen The Wind Rises, by the way. It hasn't come out in Mexico.
Hopefully the folks in the Academy watch it because having watched Ernest & Célestine in addition to all of the other nominees in the Best Animated Feature category (including The Wind Rises), I can say that you're 100% correct. This film is downright charming and arguably flawless.

Boasting a perfect 100% fresh review score on Rotten Tomatoes (14 reviews and counting), you can now find the English dubbed theatrical trailer on the front page of IMDB.com. Incidentally, the dub track doesn't sound half bad based on my exposure to it here. Stephanie Sheh handled the script adaptation and Mike Sinterniklaas the direction so it's clearly in good hands.

Here's a link to the trailer on YouTube.

It will be screened theatrically in limited release starting on March 14th - after the Oscars have been doled out. Frozen is likely to take home the trophy on Oscar Night but it's not like a win is going to do much for it right now given its already considerable success. Would be perfectly delighted to see it win for Best Song and give Ernest & Célestine a surprise Oscar win.

I think Gravity is going to win best picture... based on the fact that it won the DGA for best picture, and the last few movies to do that have gone on to win best picture at the Oscars.

shira

BgJIRsDCcAAPHbH.jpg

Easy peazy

Best animated feature film of the year

“The Croods” Chris Sanders, Kirk DeMicco and Kristine Belson
“Despicable Me 2” Chris Renaud, Pierre Coffin and Chris Meledandri
“Ernest & Celestine” Benjamin Renner and Didier Brunner
“Frozen” Chris Buck, Jennifer Lee and Peter Del Vecho
“The Wind Rises” Hayao Miyazaki and Toshio Suzuki

I'm surprised Ernest & Celestine is nominated. Had every intention of seeing it in France, but missed out. Will have to see it soon, though.
Too bad it'll lose to Frozen.

shira

I imagine they have those plates made for each of the nominees so on the night they can get the statue for the winner assembled as fast as possible.

Really it goes that late? Oscar Night Billy Crystal and Whoopie are backstage still tallying votes.

-griffy-

Banned
Really it goes that late? Oscar Night Billy Crystal and Whoopie are backstage still tallying votes.

I was under the impression that no one outside of Price Waterhouse Coopers (who counts the votes) knows who the winners are until the envelopes are opened on stage. The winners are given a dummy/prop statue on stage when they give their speech, and then receive the actual award with their name on it when they go back stage or later in the night after they face the press room or something. That's how I thought it went.

shira

I was under the impression that no one outside of Price Waterhouse Coopers (who counts the votes) knows who the winners are until the envelopes are opened on stage. The winners are given a dummy/prop statue on stage when they give their speech, and then receive the actual award with their name on it when they go back stage or later in the night after they face the press room or something. That's how I thought it went.
TIL something. Now to google Price Waterhouse/Marisa Tomei

UberTag

Is there going to be a NeoGAF Oscar Prediction poll/ballot of sorts?

I think it could be fun.
Even if there isn't one there's no reason you can't follow my lead and post your predictions on who will win (along with your perspective on who should win) into this thread as a point of comparison.
I'm not sure there's enough overall interest in such a contest on this forum given the dearth of votes in the Top 2013 movie poll.

MIMIC

Banned
I just saw Nebraska. It was a fun, charming movie (that had me cracking up) but I honestly don't think it was Oscar-material. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I think it was just missing that depth usually seen in most nominated films.

"We can get you to Lincoln in an hour"
"Lincoln is over 200 miles"
"OK. An hour and a half. How long would it take YOU?"

xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom