• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nominations for the 86th Academy Awards - January 16 at 5:30 a.m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
I haven't seen the film, but I expected Elba to grab a nod for Mandela considering Mandela's passing last month. I guess the Academy didn't want to make it seem like they were only giving him the nom because of that.

The academy isn't as predicable as The Grammys academy. I think there are certain things you can get a pulse on. But sometimes their nominations/winners or rather their lack of can be baffling.

Whereas when the Grammys make baffling decisions you kind of expect it and can even predict it.

addik

Please. Frozen is one of Disney’s best in ages and a very deserving winner. The Wind Rises is good but not Miyazaki’s best. It shouldn't win just because it’s his last movie (probably won't be).

Actually, it pretty much would be. Studio Ghibli has been preparing for his retirement ever since after Ponyo, that's why they decided to produce two films directed by two of the Ghibli's protege (the director for Arriety and Goro Miyazaki). If the two films had failed the box office and also had bad reviews, they were considering having The Wind Rises and Tale of the Bamboo Cutter release as one double-length feature (similar to Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbor Totoro) and shut Studio Ghibli forever (only to remain as an office that will take care of its IPs). In retrospect, one of Miyazaki's return from retirement was because his protege, who made Whisper of the Heart, suddenly died. They were planning to pass the torch over him.

Miyazaki might still be involved with Studio Ghibli, but The Wind Rises will pretty much be his last big project (despite what some people say).

Also, I haven't watched The Wind Rises (no plans to release the film here :( ), but I wonder how good it is. I am still rooting for it just based on critical acclaim over Frozen (which was good and probably did a lot of goodwill to Disney). I wouldn't mind if Frozen won.

Ernest and Celestine winning on the other hand might be a pleasant surprise (but it will never happen)

tino

Banned
I haven't seen the film, but I expected Elba to grab a nod for Mandela considering Mandela's passing last month. I guess the Academy didn't want to make it seem like they were only giving him the nom because of that.

I haven't seen the film either, but a film critic said on podcast his role was "worse casting decision ever". It makes me what to watch the movie now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Oscar Issac should be on that actor's list. But its a pretty stiff year I guess.

Saying its one of Disney best in ages isn't saying much except that its a good Disney film. Beyond that, there is nothing in my description that is inaccurate especially the lack of character development. Having someone be repressed and an introvert for an entire act that covers the span of, what, 17 years and then have her belch out in the mountains minutes later with supreme confidence is not relatable nor effective at all. They pulled the same shit with the villain "twist". Compare that whole arc to Rapunzel's and the contrast is as clear as day. That movie managed to do it better with a more comedic tone. I wanted Frozen to emphasize the path to girl empowerment and show that transition. Because they don't, it becomes nothing a very shallow take on female empowerment. Just sing "fuck it all" and watch all your problems go away? No.

With that said, how you react to said plot devices and structure may be different than mine, sure. There's no need to state that we could disagree on that.
I really enjoyed Frozen, but you are quite right. I had a few issues with how they handled the theme of the movie...in that they didn't handle it well. "Let it Go" made me roll my eyes both times I saw the film, because it was such a forced song that came off very cliché. Besides that, it's hard to care for a character who just abandoned her kingdom and sister, and instead of being sad about it she hollers up a tune about "Fuck 'em, it's time to let go and enjoy myself". The idea is half-right, but the lyrics needed to convey something a little different. A little better.

Olaf was the wittiest part of Frozen. I enjoyed him quite a lot, but not enough to think Frozen was better than anything else in recent years.

Ridley327

I imagine the film not being particularly well received on any front was a bigger problem.

Saying its one of Disney best in ages isn't saying much except that its a good Disney film. Beyond that, there is nothing in my description that is inaccurate especially the lack of character development. Having someone be repressed and an introvert for an entire act that covers the span of, what, 17 years and then have her belch out in the mountains minutes later with supreme confidence is not relatable nor effective at all. They pulled the same shit with the villain "twist". Compare that whole arc to Rapunzel's and the contrast is as clear as day. That movie managed to do it better with a more comedic tone. I wanted Frozen to emphasize the path to girl empowerment and show that transition. Because they don't, it becomes nothing a very shallow take on female empowerment. Just sing "fuck it all" and watch all your problems go away? No.

With that said, how you react to said plot devices and structure may be different than mine, sure. There's no need to state that we could disagree on that.

Come on man, your passing off your opinions as facts. A lot of you points are highly debatable and in my opinion just flat-out wrong.

And 'Let It Go' absolutely is relatable - it's a big reason why it's so popular and why people love it. Not only is the song relatable lyrically, Elsa as a character is extremely relatable too. She’s had this secret all her life and she finally revealed it after so much pent up anxiety and when she sings 'Let It Go' she's essentially broken free of her shackles and can finally be who she really is with no one to judge her.....she embraces all her 'flaws'. It’s a nice message, an empowering song and is extremely effective and executed wonderfully. Also, she's not saying "fuck it all", she clearly loves her sister but she feels she has no choice but to leave because she fears so much that she might hurt her - or worse, accidentally kill her.

Come on man, your passing off your opinions as facts. A lot of you points are highly debatable and in my opinion just flat-out wrong.

And 'Let It Go' absolutely is relatable - it's a big reason why it's so popular and why people love it. Not only is the song relatable lyrically, Elsa as a character is extremely relatable too. She’s had this secret all her life and she finally revealed it after so much pent up anxiety and when she sings 'Let It Go' she's essentially broken free of her shackles and can finally be who she really is with no one to judge her.....she embraces all her 'flaws'. It’s a nice message, an empowering song and is extremely effective and executed wonderfully. Also, she's not saying "fuck it all", she clearly loves her sister but she feels she has no choice but to leave because she fears so much that she might hurt her - or worse, accidentally kill her.
Other bits of the movie may convey this, but not the song itself. I would've enjoyed it much more if so.

Other bits of the movie may convey this, but not the song itself. I would've enjoyed it much more if so.

I can agree to that, but the movie clearly shows you numerous times how much she really loves Anna, so when 'Let It Go' comes on I don't think its needed to tell us again.

I suppose it would have been nice I guess, but I feel that 'Let It Go' was her moment - I think she earned the right to be a little selfish after all those years when she sung it.

My intent is not to pass my interpretation nor my ability to suspend any belief off as fact. I'm not questioning the intent of the emotional beat or journey. I am saying, for me, that the quick personality transitions did not work for me. I'm speaking strictly of character growth and not the sisters' affinity for one another. At face value, what you're saying is there in the words. You're arguing about the 'what'. Vincent and I are speaking strictly of the 'how', something you do not take issue with clearly, which is perfectly fine of course.

Fair enough.

This was a pretty good year for the Academy Awards actually. Haven't seen 12 years a Slave yet, but I find myself in agreement with much of what I'm seeing here. Matthew 'take ma shirt off' Mconaughey was pretty damn good in Dallas Buyers Club, and goddamn if Jared Leto doesn't pull off a great looking woman in that film.

And while I would have personally given the cinematography award to Prisoners (holy shit that film looks incredible), I understand why it had to go to Gravity. It definitely pushed some boundaries.

(Sorry, this was for the SAG awards)

AkuMifune

Banned
In sound mixing & editing, yes, absolutely. Nothing like the bone-deep roar of engines in that movie in cinemas this year.

It didn't pick up any nominations in any category, but outside of Daniel Bruhl for best supporting actor, I can't say I expected it to. It's a bit of a shame, because it easily outclasses most/all of the Academy-beloved middlebrow farts of Ron Howard's career.

Agreed. I think Bruhl definitely deserved the nomination over Jonah Hill (who already got his token nomination), but otherwise yeah.

Doran902

Just watched 12 Years a Slave, have now watched all the best picture nominees other than Her.

12 Years is definitely my choice, had the best story / acting / pacing and cinematography of all the other films and was a real tearjerker. A lot of actors who I didn't know were in the movie showed up as well. The only thing I didnt like was
Brad Pitt showing up and being the white knight hero, felt out of place, should have been a no name imo

Gonna watch it again this weekend.

Sanjuro

It's been one of the better years in recent memory for good films, even though the summer was one of the worst in recent memory for popcorn flicks. Wish the goodness was spread out over a few years.

Just saw Her, American Hustle, Inside Llewyn Davis, Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, and Wolf on Wall Street from Thursday - Friday in theaters. Some seeing for the first time, some a second.

Helmholtz

Just saw Dallas Buyers Club after first hearing about it when it won those Golden Globes. I can totally see why McConaughey and Leto are being recognized now. Really good performances by them. There have been so many good acting performances this year, that any number of them could win and I wouldn't be surprised at this point. I found that movie to be just decent overall though, the main stand out being the acting and not the overall film.

Red

I stood in as camera assistant early 2013 for the same guy who was cam op on Alone Yet Not Alone (we were working on a different project). I'd never heard of Alone Yet Not Alone until he mentioned on facebook it was nominated for an Oscar. So now I can say I worked with a guy who worked on an Oscar-nominated film. Pretty cool.

Sanjuro

Just saw Dallas Buyers Club after first hearing about it when it won those Golden Globes. I can totally see why McConaughey and Leto are being recognized now. Really good performances by them. There have been so many good acting performances this year, that any number of them could win and I wouldn't be be surprised at this point. I found that movie to be just decent overall though, the main stand out being the acting and not the overall film.

I thought it was a great film, but certainly performance driven.

Alright alright

Ridley327

So McConaughey won the SAG for Best Actor earlier tonight. Best Actor race is getting more interesting by the day

American Hustle also took home the Cast prize, which also opens up the Best Picture race more than it already was.

He's still not a sure thing in my book, but McConaughey does seem to be in a good position to upset Ejiofor if the momentum keeps up like this.

Frozen is one of Disney’s best in ages and a very deserving winner. The Wind Rises is good but not Miyazaki’s best. It shouldn't win just because it’s his last movie (probably won't be).

Frozen is better than The Wind Rises? I thought The Wind Rises wasn't out yet, did you see it a film festival or do you live in Japan/South Korea/Taiwan/Hong Kong?

In a perfect world:

Performance by an actor in a leading role
Chiwetel Ejiofor in “12 Years a Slave”

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Michael Fassbender in “12 Years a Slave”

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Cate Blanchett in “Blue Jasmine”

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Jennifer Lawrence in “American Hustle”

Best animated feature film of the year
“Despicable Me 2” Chris Renaud, Pierre Coffin and Chris Meledandri

Achievement in cinematography
“Prisoners” Roger A. Deakins

Achievement in costume design
“American Hustle” Michael Wilkinson

Achievement in directing
“12 Years a Slave” Steve McQueen

Best documentary feature
n/a

Best documentary short subject
n/a

Achievement in film editing
“12 Years a Slave” Joe Walker

Best foreign language film of the year
“The Hunt” Denmark

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling
“Dallas Buyers Club” Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
“Her” William Butler and Owen Pallett

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
“Let It Go” from “Frozen”
Music and Lyric by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

Best motion picture of the year
“12 Years a Slave” Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Steve McQueen and

Achievement in production design
“12 Years a Slave” Production Design: Adam Stockhausen; Set Decoration: Alice Baker

Best animated short film
n/a

Best live action short film
n/a

Achievement in sound editing
“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” Brent Burge

Achievement in sound mixing
“The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug” Christopher Boyes, Michael Hedges, Michael Semanick and Tony Johnson

Achievement in visual effects
“Star Trek Into Darkness” Roger Guyett, Patrick Tubach, Ben Grossmann and Burt Dalton

Adapted screenplay
“Before Midnight” Written by Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy, Ethan Hawke

Original screenplay
“Her” Written by Spike Jonze

Here's the tally from major awards

Best Actor
Golden Globes: Matthew McConaughey
Critics' Choice: McConaughey
Screen Actors' Guild: McConaughey
Academy Award: ?

Best Actress
Golden Globes: Cate Blanchett
Critics' Choice: Blanchett
Screen Actors' Guild: Blanchett

Best Supporting Actor

Golden Globes: Jared Leto
Critics' Choice: Leto
Screen Actors' Guild: Leto

Best Supporting Actress

Golden Globes: Jennifer Lawrence
Critics' Choice: Lupita Nyung'o
Screen Actors' Guild: Nyung'o

Supporting Actress was the only one that wasn't a sweep. I'm in favor of Lupita taking the oscar. Her performance was met with more critical praise and Jlaw just came off winning an (somewhat contested) oscar win last year. They won't really be in hurry to reward her again and people rarely win two years in a row.

KingK

I will be sad if Ejiofor doesn't win best actor, but then again there were a ton of fantastic acting performances this year.

american hustle is a great movie, but it shouldnt win a god damn thing WTF

it's an alright movie but yeah the wealth of great films being nominated this year means american hustle don't deserve shit. it could easily sweep another year but right now there is definitely some better stuff to give it to.

especially lupita over lawrence.

Sanjuro

I will be sad if Ejiofor doesn't win best actor, but then again there were a ton of fantastic acting performances this year.

He was pretty good in his respective film. I just thought McConaughey (and Leto to a degree) ran away with that film, which featured otherwise average performances. I mean...Jennifer Garner was in the film.

it's an alright movie but yeah the wealth of great films being nominated this year means american hustle don't deserve shit. it could easily sweep another year but right now there is definitely some better stuff to give it to.

especially lupita over lawrence.

That category is obviously a crapshoot. I think that Lawrence had the better performance, but I don't mind and see why Lupita would win the Oscar.

Messofanego said:
Frozen is better than The Wind Rises? I thought The Wind Rises wasn't out yet, did you see it a film festival or do you live in Japan/South Korea/Taiwan/Hong Kong?

I saw it in Venice last year. Like I said it's not his best and I actually found it pretty dull and pointless at times. Frozen is definitely the better animated movie in my opinion.

dmshaposv

Here's the tally from major awards

Best Actor
Golden Globes: Matthew McConaughey
Critics' Choice: McConaughey
Screen Actors' Guild: McConaughey

Best Actress
Golden Globes: Cate Blanchett
Critics' Choice: Blanchett
Screen Actors' Guild: Blanchett

Best Supporting Actor

Golden Globes: Jared Leto
Critics' Choice: Leto
Screen Actors' Guild: Leto

Best Supporting Actress

Golden Globes: Jennifer Lawrence
Critics' Choice: Lupita Nyung'o
Screen Actors' Guild: Nyung'o

Supporting Actress was the only one that wasn't a sweep. I'm in favor of Lupita taking the oscar. Her performance was met with more critical praise and Jlaw just came off winning an (somewhat contested) oscar win last year. They won't really be in hurry to reward her again and people rarely win two years in a row.

Yeah McConaughey is gonna win it, with a slight possibility of Leo sympathy winning it. Although Leo was still impressive in Wolf, I can see more people voting for McConaughey. Momentum is in his favor.

Actress is Blanchett's, Supporting for Leto and JLaw i think. Director Cuaron and Lubezki for cinematography.

Best picture is American Hustle, no doubt.

I dont think Gravity is the best picture of the year, but it has incredible effects and editing. It should win those awards over the Hobbit.

Ridley327

I dont think Gravity is the best picture of the year, but it has incredible effects and editing. It should win those awards over the Hobbit.
Gravity is sure to be the film taking home the most Oscars, if only because it's a lock for virtually all of the technical categories.

I watched American Hustle. I wished I'd seen it before all its awards hype, because sadly, it doesnt live up to it. I felt little to no emotional investment in anything that was going on
Undoubtedly, it's a slickly made, well acted film, but its pretty soulless stuff. Maybe thats a result of the director copying everything from Scorsese's bag of tricks and not doing a single thing to blend it with distinctive or unique style of his own.

leadbelly

Banned
I watched American Hustle. I wished I'd seen it before all its awards hype, because sadly, it doesnt live up to it.

Yeah. That tends to happen. You come into it with incredibly high expectations. I don't think 12 Years a Slave lived up to the hype either, but it is still a good film with strong performances.

I think 12 Years a Slave will win best picture, mainly because the subject matter is Oscar material. I also think Chiwetel should win best actor, but I am much less sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom