• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea fires missile into Japanese waters

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/may/29/north-korea-fires-missile-into-japanese-waters

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/28/world/asia/north-korea-missile-test.html

SEOUL — North Korea launched a ballistic missile on Monday that flew 280 miles and appears to have landed inside Japan’s economic zone where fishing and cargo ships are active, the South Korean military and the Japanese government said.

President Moon Jae-in of South Korea called a security council meeting for later Monday morning to discuss the missile launch, coming a week after the North last tested a ballistic missile, and Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan condemned the launch as a provocation.

“We absolutely cannot accept North Korea’s repeated provocations despite repeated warnings by the international community,” Mr. Abe said Monday morning. He added that leaders at the recent Group of 7 meeting in Taormina, Sicily, had confirmed that deterring North Korea’s nuclear ambitions was a “top priority,” and that Japan would work closely with the United States and South Korea to “make the utmost efforts to ensure people’s safety.”

The missile fired on Monday appears to have landed in the sea between Korea and Japan, inside the country’s so-called exclusive economic zone, which extends 200 nautical miles from the coast. There were no immediate reports of damage to any ships or aircraft operating in the area, said Yoshihide Suga, Mr. Abe’s chief cabinet secretary.

North Korean Missile Launch OT when.

Dice//

Banned
I don't understand the point of all this. I mean, I don't want them to "commit" to a full show of force, but why the micro-aggressions? Show of power? Fear?? Simply showing off??? Are they TRYING to invite a reaction?

DrSlek

I don't understand the point of all this. I mean, I don't want them to "commit" to a full show of force, but why the micro-aggressions? Show of power? Fear?? Simply showing off??? Are they TRYING to invite a reaction?

Previously when Best Korea would wave its dick around it was to try and get the US and other nations to bribe them to shut up for a few years. They'd get a bit more international aid and they'd be quiet for a while.

In the political climate of today, I don't know if that would work anymore.

Shoeless

They could be testing the reaction to see how far they can go before they get a response.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hope war does not break out, the poor folks in Seoul =/

Need badly diplomatic solution to this.
I don't know what other option there is without just abandoning all of our allies.

SephLuis

Trying to make a show of force. I think they want to show that they can attack Japan if they go down. It's one case that they know they wouldn't last in a war but will want to make the most damage as possible.

Pomerlaw

Most people would say Kim wants to show off because he wants to keep the regime in place.

More and more I believe he is totally nuts. He's doing things that can lead to war, even by accident, and he's too stupid or crazy to understand it.

I don't believe in the "but NK is rational" thing anymore...

Doesn't mean I wish for a preemptive strike...

It's possible we're trying to get them to burn through their stockpile of materials and funds.

Madness

I hope war does not break out, the poor folks in Seoul =/

Need badly diplomatic solution to this.

At what poit is it inevitable? Do Japanese and Koreans really want to wait till they have credible nuclear ballistic missile strike capability? I was watching Godfather earlier today and Clemenza makes a comment to Michael, saying they should have stopped Hitler at Munich when they had the chance, never let it get that far.

The question is not going to be if the US/SK fight NK again, but when. And do they do it with a nuclear missile equipped NK or not. These are obviously attention getting attempts. They are starving, they need food and humanitarian aid etc. But if you keep capitulating, nothing changes. I honestly wish Japan and SK would take them as a greater existential threat more seriously. People in Seoul also go blissfully, maybe naively thinking nothing can happen. But crazy dictators rarely go quietly at the end. Gaddafi hired mercenaries to kill his own people, Assad resorting to chemical weapons etc.

Again, nothing will happen. And then the next missile test will take place etc. And then the next nuke test. And on and on.

zeemumu

The struggle for global relevance.

Trump has a back channel with North Korea and gets them to launch a missile or blow a test nuke whenever the leaks are getting to him.

Cuburt

Whatever.

Its fat kim doing "I am not touching" non stop and pissbaby saying "Iam a going to come over" non stop.
Except those games of "I am not touching you" can end with someone "accidentally" getting hit as one person tests the other's boundaries.

Trump has a back channel with North Korea and gets them to launch a missile or blow a test nuke whenever the leaks are getting to him.

Trump -> Russia -> North Korea?

I believe it especially with China being fed up with its little brother.

Edit: Jk that sounded stupid the moment I clicked post.

Seoul being hit by artillery is pretty bad but relatively recoverable.

Seoul being hit by millions of starving refugees flooding from a collapsed North is probably the long term crisis. That's probably the main reason why they haven't flatten them yet.

Exclusively Stormtrooper cuisine

Who does that and why 0_o ?

Yo these fucking idiots are going to fire one of these missiles outside their territory one time and it's going to hit something other then water. North Korea is the perfect example of a idiot who doesn't understand how much over their head they'll get in once they've killed someone out of their territory and shit pops off.

Yo these fucking idiots are going to fire one of these missiles outside their territory one time and it's going to hit something other then water. North Korea is the perfect example of a idiot who doesn't understand how much over their head they'll get in once they've killed someone out of their territory and shit pops off.

They've already killed someone out of their territory, the Fat Kim's half brother.

Skyzard

Banned
I hope we get independent confirmation it was a North Korea fired missile and not a US sub that went there recently, trying to start shit with North Korea so they put bases right under China.

Didn't they already shell a South Korean island a few years ago?

Edit: Bombardment of Yeonpyeong

I hope we get independent confirmation it was a North Korea fired missile and not a US sub that went there recently, trying to start shit with North Korea so they put bases right under China.

Maybe it wasnt a good idea for navy to flex their muscle when the Supreme Leader doesnt know how serious the President is "about stopping North Korea".

Deterrence to keep their regime running? On one side they have pressure from China, all they are is a buffer zone to U.S backed SK. It's the only reason they still exist. Then there's Nato and U.S pressure constantly.

Like most dictators, they release if they let their power lapse in the slightest they're dead and likely anyone even tangentially related as well.

They're responding to the US testing anti-missile defense systems.

DonShula

I have to imagine there are so many spies in NK they aren't even close to a threat.

I'd always assumed this as well. At least one person in the inner circle is probably feeding the US basically everything that's going to happen. If they ever decide to fire a real nuke at a real target, it won't leave the ground.

I'd always assumed this as well. At least one person in the inner circle is probably feeding the US basically everything that's going to happen. If they ever decide to fire a real nuke at a real target, it won't leave the ground.

likely not the case as it seems the United States was caught off guard with the latest missile technology tests.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
We live in an era where honestly letting Japan and Germany build complete militaries is the rational choice. Still Seoul

Top Bottom