• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nothing PS5 Slim???

Cz8Wz3A.jpg

😡🤬

Elios83

Yup seems dead for this year at least, insiders were false shepards :pie_roffles:

If you were expecting something about a PS5 slim then that's 100% your own fault.

Sony was extremely transparant about what this show was going to be.

Don't be a doofus.
That's not his point. Sony is continuing to announce new editions/bundles based on current design. Which means that Slim won't happen in the short term.

Tsaki

lmao yeah I don't know. It'd be nice of Henderson to dig up a little and get an update on when those are coming.

I'm starting to think it might be coming this year, they're possibly overconfident about Spidey 2

Or they'll be really aggressive on the pricing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mean, they're releasing some new cover colors, for the millions and millions of standard PS5s already out there. These are not new editions of the actual console.

And then some new controller colors, which will work just as well with the Slim whenever that arrives.

So this means nothing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The majority of PS5's on the market will be the OG model, for at least the next 2 years, even if the New model comes out today.

Plenty of over-priced 3d printed plastic to sell for years to come, and doesn't mean the New model isn't coming.

Going to be a bit of a clusterfuck for Sony to deal with 2 models selling plates for, but there are more complex things consumers deal with just fine.

I don’t need a slim because that would force me to crawl behind my TV where my current fat PS5 lives.
Spiders might be a thing Back there.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I can't see them announcing it until after the Spider Man 2 launch, just because all the people that bought the limited edition may be pissed that they didn't get the 'slim'.

Elysium44

Banned
I have no idea why so many people seem desperate for a slim. Is the ps5 big? sure, but i dont believe a slim would be much smaller.

Personally I'm hoping for a PS5 slim because I want a more attractive and conventional design, like the PS4 slim. And I really want it to be black. I don't get not having electronics in the most obvious popular colour at least as an option.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You have to think. They have to sell through everything first. Can't announce a console with millions of consoles still in the channel.

They will continue the sale price now until stock sells through then announce it. Probably near or after spider man.

Cyberpunkd

Yup seems dead for this year at least, insiders were false shepards :pie_roffles:

That's not his point. Sony is continuing to announce new editions/bundles based on current design. Which means that Slim won't happen in the short term.
How do you draw this conclusion? Bundles are a good way to reduce inventory, these plates cater to existing PS5 owners.

mystech

Assuming those "leaks" of the PS5 Slim(er) were real, those were probably pictures of a manufacturing test unit before mass production begins. If that's the case, I would expect to see a release sometime around the PS5 release anniversary in November.

My guess is they use the hype of Spiderman to sell through the current model stock. They introduce the Slim in November to celebrate the PS5's birthday and stimulate sales through the Holiday season. November 2024 they bring out the PS5 Pro to to grab the mid generation adopters and steal attention away from the Switch 2... and I'm really starting to think the Switch 2 is going to be a much stronger competitor than we realize.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve read that it’s not very ‘slim’ either way. If that’s the case they might as well just release the Pro right away.

Last edited:

Elios83

How do you draw this conclusion? Bundles are a good way to reduce inventory, these plates cater to existing PS5 owners.

There is no proof clearly since we're talking about covers and controllers which as you said could cater to existing users.
Still with just two weeks left I doubt it's happening in September at this point and September is usually the month when new hardware revisions hit the stores.

TrebleShot

It will be silently announced on the blog on a random Tuesday afternoon, just like PSVR2.
New plates and controllers wont effect it, there are millions upon millions of PS5 owners it only takes for them to sell like 500k to make it worth it.

Top Bottom