• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

Dunlop

BroHuffman said:
Out of the 640k Portal sold, PS3 probably got around 30% of the sales. Puts it around 190k.

Yeah thats not great. Valve only has itself to blame though.

what did valve do? They gave the ps3 version extra features

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Elfforkusu said:
Dubious. I wouldn't own a 3DS if not for OoT, and it's not even out yet. Anecdotally overruled!

Mario 64 DS was (vastly) inferior to the N64 version. OoT is supposedly vastly superior.
You're part of a pretty niche market compared to the kind of audience that a system-selling title has to sell to. Handheld Zelda or "That N64 game" is what a lot of people will see.

Game Guru

_dementia said:
It's always sold well though. Even MK vs DC broke 2 million

True, but I was thinking that the reputation of Armageddon and MK vs. DC would've had a much more negative effect.

Amir0x said:
But I honestly do think consumers just don't care about 3D - much less the ultra flawed 3D tech that is contained in the 3DS where if you shift the system 1 millimeter the illusion shatters. And then for those who it does work for, you might get a headache. And then for those who get a headache, the advice is they must 'train' their eyes over time. Simply not worth it for most consumers. They don't want to fiddle with a slider to find a sweet spot or worry that if the system is tilted even one degree to the right or left that it'll ruin their race as the screen gets blurry and they crash into the wall in an attempt to re-adjust.

I actually agree with this. The problem I personally have with 3D even today is that the 3D generally looks fake to me. In addition, my father has a lazy eye so fake 3D doesn't even work for him. I think most people just find 3D too problematic to mess with.

goldenpp72

I'm personally glad the 3ds is under performing, for the first time in a long time, I simply don't want to own a new gaming gadget. I own a ds XL and love it, but the 3ds has a wonky, shitty 3d mode (at least upon first inspection) low resolution small screens, and decent power at best, a shit lineup as well, one that is being 'saved' by future ports of n64 titles.

The 3ds comes off as insanely lazy, where as the DS had an innovative and clearly functional new ability, the 3d in the 3ds is sketchy at best and with a premium price of 250 bucks, that's just insane.

Sadly, as much as I assume the NGP hardware will destroy the 3ds in quality, the games are what fuel a system and nintendo does that best, it would just be nice if nintendo didn't release such a crummy portable to sustain the next 5+ years of their portable division. I honestly can't imagine why anyone has to this point bought a 3ds, it's clearly over priced and under delivering in the lineup, and by the time it's really up to snuff with a strong lineup it will probably be cheaper and possibly even have a revision looming.

This all seems like reverse land as I own like 10 psp games and over 70 ds games, but the 3ds is just simply not nearly as interesting as nintendo's last few hardware releases.

Tron 2.0

Amir0x said:
Overpriced, perhaps, but not under advertised. There are 3DS advertisement every five seconds on TV. I saw three 3DS commercials in just the past day. One during Conan O'Brien, for example.
Yeah, I've seen a lot of commercials for it.

There was one just a while ago during the Bulls/Hawks game.

So I wouldn't say under-advertised either. Just poorly advertised.

The ads are bad.

Boney

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
You're part of a pretty niche market compared to the kind of audience that a system-selling title has to sell to. Handheld Zelda or "That N64 game" is what a lot of people will see.
anecdotes for the win, but whenever I bust out my 3DS in class or something people get really excited about OoT remake, and when I tell them I'm not getting it, they go berserk and offer to buy it for me if I lend it to them.

I think it'll end up doing much better than ST, but as it stands right now, it's not gonna push anybody to buy the system.

Amir0x

Banned
Game Guru said:
I actually agree with this. The problem I personally have with 3D even today is that the 3D generally looks fake to me. In addition, my father has a lazy eye so fake 3D doesn't even work for him. I think most people just find 3D too problematic to mess with.

I'm going to be honest. I don't know what 'fake 3D' looks like :p

I mean clearly autostereoscopic 3D technology looks like 'real' 3D, it's just shackled by extremely large limitations.

Boney said:
whenever I bust out my 3DS in class or something people get really excited about OoT remake, and when they tell them I'm not getting it, they go berserk and offer to buy it for me if I lend it to them.

I think it's clear that you're a unique case if you attend a class where people go 'berserk' when you mention Ocarina of Time and then offer to buy it for you.

Humans don't act like that. So whatever nerd class you're participating in is not a good sample of the general game buying public :p

apana

goldenpp72 said:
I'm personally glad the 3ds is under performing, for the first time in a long time, I simply don't want to own a new gaming gadget. I own a ds XL and love it, but the 3ds has a wonky, shitty 3d mode (at least upon first inspection) low resolution small screens, and decent power at best, a shit lineup as well, one that is being 'saved' by future ports of n64 titles.

The 3ds comes off as insanely lazy, where as the DS had an innovative and clearly functional new ability, the 3d in the 3ds is sketchy at best and with a premium price of 250 bucks, that's just insane.

Sadly, as much as I assume the NGP hardware will destroy the 3ds in quality, the games are what fuel a system and nintendo does that best, it would just be nice if nintendo didn't release such a crummy portable to sustain the next 5+ years of their portable division. I honestly can't imagine why anyone has to this point bought a 3ds, it's clearly over priced and under delivering in the lineup, and by the time it's really up to snuff with a strong lineup it will probably be cheaper and possibly even have a revision looming.

This all seems like reverse land as I own like 10 psp games and over 70 ds games, but the 3ds is just simply not nearly as interesting as nintendo's last few hardware releases.

The 3DS isn't less innovative than the DS and nor does it show that Nintendo is lazy. People didn't instantly fall in love with the DS, it was the software for women and kids that fueled the system.

Jeels

gimz said:
Im pretty sure Nintendo has a lot to show for 3DS at E3
30 mins talking about the "May" update

I could care less about Nintendo's offerings at this point. I bought Mario Kart for the DS and Wii, I doubt Mario Kart 3DS, or Animal Crossing 3DS are going to be huge steps up. I'm talking third party. And really, there is nothing. My two most wanted games are Tales of the Abyss, and Devil Summoner Overclocked, and both of those are ports. I've had more fun with my PSP than my 3DS since I have bought a 3DS.

Tron 2.0

apana said:
The 3DS isn't less innovative than the DS and nor does it show that Nintendo is lazy. People didn't instantly fall in love with the DS, it was the software for women and kids that fueled the system.
Okay, but Nintendo has yet to offer a compelling reason for those people to purchase a 3DS.

Huff

Banned
Dunlop said:

They forced all valve fans to buy valve games on the 360. Remember Gabe always ranting against the PS3?

It's too late for them to expect PS3 (even with extra features) sales to be better or even close to the 360 sales.

Amir0x

Banned
apana said:

I think it is. I mean the DS instantly introduced dual screens and touch screen technologies. Compared to what the 3DS is introducing, which aren't even particularly new to the gaming space, gyroscopes (which its competitors all have) and 3D which is completely useless for gameplay.

I'd say the scale of innovation is certainly different. I don't find that a negative, of course, since I prefer refinement to gimmicks. But others might see it different.

sleepykyo

Dunlop said:

Nothing, which is arguably the issue. EA's port of the Orange Box didn't sell well so Portal was never popular on the PS3. Neither of the Left4Deads were ported so Valve isn't a known brand either.

Boney

Banned
Amir0x said:

I mean clearly autostereoscopic 3D technology looks like 'real' 3D, it's just shackled by extremely large limitations.

I think it's clear that you're a unique case if you attend a class where people go 'beserk' when you mention Ocarina of Time and then offer to buy it for you.

Humans don't act like that. So whatever nerd class you're participating in is not a good sample of the general game buying public :p
Well yeah, I'm not using it as a barometer or anything, just sharing my experience. I'm saying, it doesn't have the ability to push people for 3ds. And these people's last console must be a PS2, if that, it's not nerdy paradise at all, just that OoT resonates with them for being childhood gaming.

Dunlop

BroHuffman said:
They forced all valve fans to buy valve games on the 360. Remember Gabe always ranting against the PS3?

It's too late for them to expect PS3 (even with extra features) sales to be better or even close to the 360 sales.

i doubt joe sixpack remembers that, I had orange box on the 360 and portal 2 on the ps3. PSN being down could not have helped

Amir0x said:
If you really want to sit here and argue that Ocarina of Time is going to be a system seller then you be my guest. It's not even going to take long to prove the lie to that.

I maintain that OoT 3D will significantly boost hardware sales worldwide in the short term, the momentum from which may or may not be sustainable depending on how the July and August lineup shapes up. Could I be wrong? Sure, but the June NPD and Media Create numbers will answer that one way or the other.

watershed

Banned
Amir0x said:
Overpriced, perhaps, but not under advertised. There are 3DS advertisement every five seconds on TV. I saw three 3DS commercials in just the past day. One during Conan O'Brien, for example.

Lol, I remember the exact post where you pointed that out. I don't really watch tv so I guess I'm just missing all the ads.

Amir0x

Banned
Boney said:
Well yeah, I'm not using it as a barometer or anything, just sharing my experience. I'm saying, it doesn't have the ability to push people for 3ds. And these people's last console must be a PS2, if that, it's not nerdy paradise at all, just that OoT resonates with them for being childhood gaming.

I'm using nerd endearingly, of course. I'm a nerd. I'm just saying that doesn't even feel like a natural place that exists, where people stumble over themselves to offer you the game on a silver platter provided you lend it to them (since this is also a class where others own 3DS, apparently, upping the nerd scale!)

Father_Brian said:
I maintain that OoT 3D will significantly boost hardware sales worldwide in the short term, the momentum from which may or may not be sustainable depending on how the July and August lineup shapes up. Could I be wrong? Sure.

Right, and no reason to argue about it now. We'll see very shortly. I know it will sell copies... just not at the system seller level. And I don't think it'll change any pattern of success/failure for 3DS. The system will either keep not selling or keep selling depending on where its fate is at the time completely independently of an n64 remake.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Tron 2.0 said:
Yeah, I've seen a lot of commercials for it.

There was one just a while ago during the Bulls/Hawks game.

So I wouldn't say under-advertised either. Just poorly advertised.

The ads are bad.
It's possible that people are actaully intrigued by the ads, go to the shop to check out a 3DS and are confronted by an underwhelming shelf of shitty, lazy games.

And i disagree about the 3DS being as innovative as the DS - the DS offered a new style of playing, the 3DS effect is just (enjoyable) eye candy with no tangible benefit or changes to gameplay. I have no doubt the 3DS will pick up, eventually, but at the moment there's no rational reason why anyone would buy one.

Kusagari

Dunlop said:
i doubt joe sixpack remembers that, I had orange box on the 360 and portal 2 on the ps3. PSN being down could not have helped

Joe sixpack will remember that he got Orange Box with Portal on 360 and thus will get Portal 2 on 360. I have numerous casual friends with both consoles and this is exactly how they all think. They always continue getting the same series on the same console.

goldenpp72

apana said:

While the ds didn't have an amazing starting lineup, the functionality of it was clear from day 1, having used a 3ds on a few occasions, it's main feature advertised is the 3d effect, which honestly is pretty shitty from what i've seen. I would have preferred all the horse power go into making a system called the nintendo DS2 rather than this half baked feeling 3d mode i'd rather not even have on.

Now, maybe over time the 3d effect 'grows' on you, but as a consumer viewing a product, it clearly has little value.

Huff

Banned
Dunlop said:

No, I'm saying that Valve fans would have found themselves with a 360 rather than a PS3. Not that current PS3 fans are bitter/boycotting valve, just that they might not have played portal 1 or know who valve is. Making them less likely to buy P2. Most also wouldn't care about the steam deal.

Edit: Beaten by Kusagari again.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
BroHuffman said:
No, I'm saying that Valve fans would have found themselves with a 360 rather than a PS3. Not that current PS3 fans are bitter/boycotting valve, just that they might not have played portal 1 or know who valve is. Making them less likely to buy P2. Most also wouldn't care about the steam deal.

I agree with this. Though I still hope Portal 2 reaches Greatest Hits on the PS3. It really is a great game.

Seda

Rush2thestart said:
Wii price drop is not $20 people, its $50.

The MSRP drop is, yes. But many stores are, and have been selling the Wii under MSRP for quite a while now, before April.

RedStep

BroHuffman said:
Out of the 640k Portal sold, PS3 probably got around 30% of the sales. Puts it around 190k.

Yeah thats not great. Valve only has itself to blame though.

Why would Valve care what the split is? Copies sold are copies sold.

The split (assuming it's true) falls in with standards. All the extra effort may have been a waste of time, but I imagine they got some sweet promo cash from Sony regardless.

Kusagari

BroHuffman said:

I think anyone who are mega Valve fans would have just gotten it on PC. But yeah 360 has a far superior built in Valve fanbase from not only the superior Orange Box port but by L4D as well. It makes sense the fans Valve got from those would just keep buying there works on 360.

Has any other generation seen such a reversal for fortunes so late in the game? The Wii has gone from complete domination to a very solid last place. I know they will still sell the most in the US for the generation but this is unprecedented.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
goldenpp72 said:
While the ds didn't have an amazing starting lineup, the functionality of it was clear from day 1, having used a 3ds on a few occasions, it's main feature advertised is the 3d effect, which honestly is pretty shitty from what i've seen. I would have preferred all the horse power go into making a system called the nintendo DS2 rather than this half baked feeling 3d mode i'd rather not even have on.

Now, maybe over time the 3d effect 'grows' on you, but as a consumer viewing a product, it clearly has little value.
Given how much the 3D screen actually negatively affects the 3DS (smaller screen, sucks up the battery, sucks up system resources to make the 3D effect, not really able to use the gyros during 3D gameplay, costs) I'm more annoyed by it than anything else. Yeah, it's pretty nifty the first time you see it...but the negatives far outweighs any positive impact 3D will have for the lifespan of the 3DS, imo.

Huff

Banned
RedStep said:

The split (assuming it's true) falls in with standards. All the extra effort may have been a waste of time, but I imagine they got some sweet promo cash from Sony regardless.

They probably don't. Any person that buys the PS3 version is a new potential steam user. I doubt Sony paid them anything. Valve wishes they could have done the same thing with the 360 version.

Kusagari said:
I think anyone who are mega Valve fans would have just gotten it on PC.

True. Which is why we are talking about moderate Valve fans, who might recognize the name valve if they see it on a game cover.

fernoca

Kusagari said:
I think anyone who are mega Valve fans would have just gotten it on PC. But yeah 360 has a far superior built in Valve fanbase from not only the superior Orange Box port but by L4D as well. It makes sense the fans Valve got from those would just keep buying there works on 360.
Plus remember the Xbox exclusive 'Portal: Still Alive', which is still at the Live Arcade sales chart.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Nintendo is really botching the 3DS launch. They need content.

Your move Sony, N is leaving the door WIDE open.

jvm

Gamasutra.
sleepykyo said:
Well, I was going to answer your question as best I could. This is one idea for examining genre distributions that I eventually rejected for an article. The basic problem I have with it is that it's difficult to judge ratios. I'm sure there are some ways to fix it, but I'm not going back to it right now.
2dj1gg6.png

Also, launch ratios, although my experience with some titles shows that the launch ratio can often be a very good indicator of long-term sales ratios.

Decent soft launch for the 3DS overall; we'll be able to tell if it's underperforming after Christmas.

Haven't read thread yet, suspect most people are calling 3DS a failure already.

Sydle

Microsoft deserves the success, I just hope it doesn't go to their head and they get lazy.

The Kinect Sport numbers are great, but I hope this doesn't mean we're going to see another Kinect Sports out too soon; and something tells me we'll see Dance Central 2 at E3.

sleepykyo

RedStep said:

At one point, I used to believe that the split would be used to determine if they would improve the PS3 ports. But I've come around to the viewpoint that they figure as long passes certification the PS3 versions are good enough.

Cipherr

Tron 2.0 said:
Worked wonders for the N64!

Well it most certainly did for the 3ds which is an actual sensible comparison.

Kusagari said:
Joe sixpack will remember that he got Orange Box with Portal on 360 and thus will get Portal 2 on 360. I have numerous casual friends with both consoles and this is exactly how they all think. They always continue getting the same series on the same console.

Yep, noticed this too.

RurouniZel said:

By the time NGP comes out, Mario Kart and Likely SM3DS will be out....
I dunno if wide open is the correct term.

Amir0x said:

You need glasses for real 3D!
astute3.jpg

Kusagari

Everything is setting up perfectly for MS to finally win the U.S. market next gen with the 720.

So the big question is how will they screw it up?

Amir0x said:
I think it is. I mean the DS instantly introduced dual screens and touch screen technologies. Compared to what the 3DS is introducing, which aren't even particularly new to the gaming space, gyroscopes (which its competitors all have) and 3D which is completely useless for gameplay.

I, for one, find it much easier to judge distances in Pilotwings with the 3D turned on. Based on this observation, I think 3D can add a lot to any games that requires players to judge distances. Platformers, for example, could greatly benefit from 3D. Have you ever missed a jump in a platformer because you misjudged how far away it was? 3D clearly makes it easier to judge distances and, therefore, I think the assertion that it's completely "useless for gameplay" is a little shortsighted.

Delio

GAF A60-Rim A said:
Decent soft launch for the 3DS overall; we'll be able to tell if it's underperforming after Christmas.

Haven't read thread yet, suspect most people are calling 3DS a failure already.

Well it kinda is at the moment. Of course it will pickup around the holidays.

Huff

Banned
RurouniZel said:

3DS = 64

NGP = PS1

Will history repeat and Sony take over the gaming industry? Only time will tell.

But who does the modern day Apple/smartphone represent...

sleepykyo

jvm said:
Well, I was going to answer your question as best I could. This is one idea for examining genre distributions that I eventually rejected for an article. The basic problem I have with it is that it's difficult to judge ratios. I'm sure there are some ways to fix it, but I'm not going back to it right now.
2dj1gg6.png

Also, launch ratios, although my experience with some titles shows that the launch ratio can often be a very good indicator of long-term sales ratios.

Thanks. So stuff above the blue line represents games that sell disproportionally well on the 360?

edit: Also based on NPD numbers (instead of global I assume)?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
AceBandage said:
By the time NGP comes out, Mario Kart and Likely SM3DS will be out....
I dunno if wide open is the correct term.

Okay, not WIDE open, but they're giving Sony plenty of wiggle room to make sure the 3DS never gains significant momentum, which will determine if it takes off or not.

sleepykyo said:
Thanks. So stuff above the blue line represents games that sell disproportionally well on the 360?

edit: Also based on NPD numbers (instead of global I assume)?

The blue line represents some sort of average over time it seems

Top Bottom