• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD/Circana US March 2023: PS5 #1 (now ahead of PS4 when aligned), RE4#1, MLB#3 and TLOU #5

bxrz

I’m gonna need a source on that copium Hopium praynana split you got going, it looks potent.
Here you go. Start actually paying attention to the industry. You look oblivious

https://twistedvoxel.com/xbox-game-pass-players-pc/

So the victory in your head is that Xbox = PC now?
There is no victory. Only a console warrior idiot thinks like that.
Wouldn't that contradict their console division? Why waste money making consoles if they don't care then?
Because they need to expand Gamepass, which is their business model. The console is an avenue to accessing Gamepass. Just like PC is. Just like Cloud is

Where has this ever been confirmed? We only have 25+M total which is pretty vague on the split even if we assume15M PC.
Confirmed by an employee of Microsoft. https://twistedvoxel.com/xbox-game-pass-players-pc/

Last edited:

GHG

Anything Xbox/MS Store is hot trash on the PC, so much so people weren't buying until they caved to Steam.

It's hilarious that he thinks some ridiculous imaginary pivot to PC is going to suddenly make Xbox look good.

The situation there is exactly the same, they are repeating the same mistakes and then some. Imagine being a software company and not being able to put together a polished and inviting client for PC gamers to be able to use. Everything about the xbox division is embarrassing at the moment.

So, you.

You're the one sat here acting as baghdad bob when it's abundantly clear to anyone sane that we're well past that stage.

Last edited:
Damn, so we're seeing a big increase in Europe and now in USA (and probably in the rest of the world too) but if we end up the year with PS5 crossing the 50 million mark and Xbox not getting to 30 million... game over. And unless Sony somehow drops the ball with their games, I just can't see how Xbox would get back on track to be neck to neck with them.

Honestly, when were MS ever neck-and-neck with Sony globally? I know there is the perception they were with 360, but the 360 also came out a year early vs PS3. Even aside that the PS3 managed to catch up with 360 in sales by early 2009 and then started leading it in global sales from that point on, so launch-aligned you could argue that Sony was ahead of Microsoft even in that generation.

Although I'm just twisting some things around to make a point. I would agree that MS definitely were competing neck-and-neck with Sony that gen in terms of courting big 3P content, and taking it to Sony in the US & UK (eventually easily surpassing them in both markets that gen). But globally they were only neck-and-neck for a little bit, maybe a year or so (and led them globally for a few months to a year or so before that due to the head-start), then PS3 started taking the lead.

Xbox already makes more revenue than Nintendo. They did that before they bought Activision. And they will continue to use that card because regulators already said Nintendo isn't in the same market.

That was for one year and they barely made more revenue than Nintendo that year. And that bump was thanks to buying Zenimax and having their revenue added to Xbox's.

At the end of the day Nintendo is still a dedicated console maker, same as Microsoft, same as Sony. The "high-end" market crap was not even necessarily proliferated by Sony, but by one of the regulatory bodies, and that definition could change any time. If the Switch 2 can perform on the level of a Series S thanks to DLSS, suddenly Nintendo's now a part of that same high-end market too, aren't they?

That card will be worthless after this ABK acquisition is done. Them getting within PS revenue distance (if not exceeding it) with ABK alone will make sure of that.

NickFire

Here you go. Start actually paying attention to the industry. You look oblivious

https://twistedvoxel.com/xbox-game-pass-players-pc/

Because they need to expand Gamepass, which is their business model. The console is an avenue to accessing Gamepass. Just like PC is. Just like Cloud is
Didn't Phil himself call GP a small segment of their gaming revenue just recently?

Also, touting GP as some sort of moral victory for them, as they literally lose market share, is something no one should do while decrying other console warriors.

bxrz

Honestly, when were MS ever neck-and-neck with Sony globally? I know there is the perception they were with 360, but the 360 also came out a year early vs PS3. Even aside that the PS3 managed to catch up with 360 in sales by early 2009 and then started leading it in global sales from that point on, so launch-aligned you could argue that Sony was ahead of Microsoft even in that generation.

Although I'm just twisting some things around to make a point. I would agree that MS definitely were competing neck-and-neck with Sony that gen in terms of courting big 3P content, and taking it to Sony in the US & UK (eventually easily surpassing them in both markets that gen). But globally they were only neck-and-neck for a little bit, maybe a year or so (and led them globally for a few months to a year or so before that due to the head-start), then PS3 started taking the lead.

That was for one year and they barely made more revenue than Nintendo that year. And that bump was thanks to buying Zenimax and having their revenue added to Xbox's.

At the end of the day Nintendo is still a dedicated console maker, same as Microsoft, same as Sony. The "high-end" market crap was not even necessarily proliferated by Sony, but by one of the regulatory bodies, and that definition could change any time. If the Switch 2 can perform on the level of a Series S thanks to DLSS, suddenly Nintendo's now a part of that same high-end market too, aren't they?

That card will be worthless after this ABK acquisition is done. Them getting within PS revenue distance (if not exceeding it) with ABK alone will make sure of that.
So... they already make more revenue than Nintendo. As I said

And you just brought up an imaginary Switch 2? Thats your argument? Lol have a good day

It's hilarious that he thinks some ridiculous imaginary pivot to PC is going to suddenly make Xbox look good.

The situation there is exactly the same, they are repeating the same mistakes and then some. Imagine being a software company and not being able to put together a polished and inviting client for PC gamers to be able to use. Everything about the xbox division is embarrassing at the moment.

So, you.

You're the one sat here acting as baghdad bob when it's abundantly clear to anyone sane that we're well past that stage.
You literally talk about "victory" like this is some war. The only person using the word "victory" in the realm of VIDEO GAMES is an idiot console warrior

Last edited:

Interfectum

Xbox does not care about console sales. So they will keep buying publishers and studios to expand Gamepass and make more money, which is what they actually care about
Black Ink Crew Laughing GIF by VH1

Saber

Gold Member

The console itself is expansive. It is advertised as the world most powerfull console, so its sold as a top tier product while GP is sold as a support stuff. Why waste money creating a top tier product just to sell Gamepass, even more when there are cheaper ways to do it? What you say in terms of business makes absolute no sense.

Last edited:

GHG

You literally talk about "victory" like this is some war. The only person using the word "victory" in the realm of VIDEO GAMES is an idiot console warrior

I'm paraphrasing based on the tone of your posts.

And please, stay away from PC. The platform doesn't want or need people with the mentality that have allowed Xbox to get comfortable in the position that they are in today.

Last edited:

bxrz

Yeah I see you just gave up. Enjoy the MS PR spin and propaganda I guess?
You brought up the Switch 2. A console you know absolutely nothing about. You don't even know if it even exists and you are speaking about it. "Oh well maybe the Switch 2 uh uh can be stronger uh uh I dont even know if it exists uh uh but it can be stronger uh uh it can come next year uh uh DLSS uh uh". Thats how you sound right now. Next time, don't bring up a console that nobody even knows exists
This doesn't confirm anything though. 25M was just a really old number they reused by saying 25+M in the LinkedIn profile without confirming any new figures. We have no idea what GP total numbers are.
It confirms that when Gamepass was/is at 25M (which is the last official number), 15M were from PC and 10M were from Xbox. Which is what I said.
I'm paraphrasing based on the tone of your posts.

And please, stay away from PC. The platform doesn't want or need people with the mentality that have allowed Xbox to get comfortable in the position that they are in today.
As I said, anyone that brings up the word "victory" in the realm of video games is an idiot console warrior.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'd love to know what Microsoft and Nintendo sold. If it was like 620k for Sony...

Are Nintendo like 300k and 250k....just think about that....its just bonkers...resi 4, hogwarts and MLB?

As if Microsoft don't care about console sales...of course they do. Why spend 100s of millions on r and d for these boxes to not sell them?

Last edited:

Kacho

Aaron Greenberg needs to be moved. XBox PR is beyond hopeless, they almost make SEGA America during the 32Bit days look good.
If only their problems were limited to PR haha

If they want to stay in this business they need to clean house completely. Xbox needs people in leadership positions who understand gaming and have a passion for it. The current group are not cutting it. Xbox is a lame brand now and any prestige it had is long gone. They'll will never reach the highs of the 360 days again. That ship has sailed.

Honestly, if Nutella is dead set on Xbox being a service-based brand they might as well pack it up. People aren't biting.

Ogbert

I'd love to know what Microsoft and Nintendo sold. If it was like 620k for Sony...

Are Nintendo like 300k and 250k....just think about that....its just bonkers...resi 4, hogwarts and MLB?

As if Microsoft don't care about console sales...of course they do. Why spend 100s of millions on r and d for these boxes to not sell them?
Why is it bonkers in comparison to Switch?

Hasn’t Switch outsold everything for about 5 years?

bxrz

Xbox Series S is proof that they care about console sales. They wanted to undercut the competition but it's not doing so well right now.
Series S is an avenue to expand Gamepass. Just like PC is. Just like Cloud is.

Their business model is Gamepass, not console sales.
Xbox cares so little about consoles sales they made two different versions of the same fucking console.
Comedy Central GIF by Lights Out with David Spade
Series X|S is an avenue to expand Gamepass. Just like PC is. Just like Cloud is.

Their business model is Gamepass, not console sales.

nial

Gold Member
The console itself is expansive. It is advertised as the world most powerfull console, so its sold as a top tier product while GP is sold as a support stuff. Why waste money creating a top tier product just to sell Gamepass, even more when there are cheaper ways to do it? What you say in terms of business makes absolute no sense.
Exactly this, if all they care about is expanding GP, why not just go third-party and offer their subscription service on Nintendo and Sony consoles? Spending a lot of money creating a machine ONLY to push subs would be so stupid.

Topher

Gold Member
And how much does console sales account for? The overwhelming majority? You sure about that?

I'm sure that Phil Spencer flatly stated what percentage Game Pass accounted for and he also said they did not expect that to change. So the "overwhelming majority" of game revenue is obviously game sales and microtransactions. Game Pass is not the crux of Microsoft's gaming business.

bxrz

Exactly this, if all they care about is expanding GP, why not just go third-party and offer their subscription service on Nintendo and Sony consoles? Spending a lot of money creating a machine ONLY to push subs would be so stupid.
I predict that they will go 3rd party eventually. Either next gen or the gen after that. I don't know when exactly but Xbox is clearly not staying in the console business as long as Playstation and Nintendo will. They have already started their pivot by putting their games everywhere

I'm sure that Phil Spencer flatly stated what percentage Game Pass accounted for and he also said they did not expect that to change. So the "overwhelming majority" of game revenue is obviously game sales and microtransactions. Game Pass is not the crux of Microsoft's gaming business.

That doesn't answer my question so I'll ask again. How much does console sales account for?

Last edited:

NickFire

Way too speculative to assume that non-subscription revenue primarily comes from sales and Mtx. Entirely possible they make more from in game ads. :messenger_ogre:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Aaron Greenberg needs to be moved. XBox PR is beyond hopeless, they almost make SEGA America during the 32Bit days look good.
Greenberg is a PR guy. A marketing dude cannot sell a gaming product that ships without games. His job is to say ok xbox does this and this better than playstation but if his dev teams dont produce games, how can he market the xbox using third party multiplatform games. Especially when the power advantage didnt materialize. He cant even say xbox versions will have better resolution and higher framerates because half of the time this most powerful next gen console doesnt even perform like the most powerful console.

This is on the first party head Matt Booty, the engineering team led by Jason Ronald who were given a much bigger BOM budget than Cerny, and of course the supreme leader Phil Spencer who just as recently as 2017 was crapping on Zelda BOTW and Horizon saying GaaS was the future, and in 2020 said the cross gen games were memes created by fanboys, and downplayed console exclusives as anti-consumer.

Top Bottom