• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

Destiny seems like a True Fans type of game. It does not seem huge mass market franchise.

The people who love it, really love it. But it doesn't seem to be gaining new fans.

*Looks at sales numbers*

Bruh, what are you SMOKING?

I don't even play Destiny but saying its not mass market is one of the dumbest things I've heard.

entremet

It's literally one of the biggest gaming franchises of all time. Like project whatever you want on the game, but at least be correct about it.

Wut? Its the most played game on PS4 and Xbox One for a month now.

It's going to be one of the best selling games of the year. Like one of the top.

If Destiny isn't mass market what game is?

*Looks at sales numbers*

Bruh, what are you SMOKING?

I don't even play Destiny but saying its not mass market is one of the dumbest things I've heard.
I’ll take the L lol.

But my focus is that the decline should be expected. Still early, tho. pc version is not out yet.

Deku Tree

I’ll take the L lol.

But my focus is that the decline should be expected. Still early, tho. pc version is not out yet.

If you read the thread you might realize that retail decline =/= decline. It may be that digital more than made up the difference.

sinkfla87

Despite my annoyance with people trying their damnedest to doom the game, I personally find it impossible to believe that digital sales will make up the loss. I know people who liked the first game were turned off by D2 even before release, particularly those that said they expected more of a sequel. I still think the game is successful and will continue to be successful but a drop off isn't very surprising.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If you read the thread you might realize that retail decline == decline. It may be that digital more than made up the difference.
I'm finding that hard to believe. We've had no announcements from Activision despite plenty of evidence to the contrary which are all quite frankly bad PR.

Surely if it were beating D1 with these insane digital ratios on consoles they would have mentioned so rather than us having now the third poor report on worldwide physical sales.

Despite my annoyance with people trying their damnedest to doom the game, I personally find it impossible to believe that digital sales will make up the loss. I know people who liked the first game were turned off by D2 even before release, particularly those that said they expected more of a sequel. I still think the game is successful and will continue to be successful but a drop off isn't very surprising.

It probably won't unless we somehow think that the behavior of the mass market consumer buying Destiny 2 is going to be drastically (not even just a little bit, it'd have to be drastic) different than them buying any other game.

entremet

If you read the thread you might realize that retail decline == decline. It may be that digital more than made up the difference.

I actually mentioned that I think digital made a good amount of the copies sold.

My point was mostly about the growth the franchise over the last installment if you compare the same time frame.

But I still think it's too early since there's another unreleased SKU.

Ultimately, I don't know if the growth of sales from the original would be substantially more according to Activision/Blizzard's expectations.

I agree digital will not make up the entire gap. D2 is still going to be down from D1. It's just not going to be catastrophically down. Probably more like 20-30%

We will just have to watch and see if PC can make up the difference, though since Battle.net sales don't get reflected in NPD we will actually never know that unless Activision states it

Falchion

The mistake to not being able to sell the game after you finished playing it?
I mean, where is the mistake by buying the game physical?

The mistake is that it's a game you have to play regularly so switching to the disc all the time was a pain. It's so much easier to have it digital and not have to worry about what's in your Xbox when you want to get on.

suicreeps

Puncturing that shooter causal mass market is looking like it’s going to get harder further and further down the road, it’s going to be fun seeing what AAA shooters can change up in the coming years to stay relevant with how often we make games for the different eras of war.

I played the crap out of it and got the platinum but there's no drive to redo content for different skins. Out in public events level 9s seemingly do the same scaled damage as my 305 decked out guy lol. It was fun but there's too much else out to waste time grinding for nothing lol.

Can’t blame them too much for rushing. Since it was essentially “if we don’t rush activision takes the ip from us”. Kind of a damned if you do damned if you don’t situation.

Totally. But at some point early on, they agreed to terms with Activision on how output of content would look over the 10 year cycle.

Bungie likely shot themselves in the foot at some point by over-promising internally.

I mean, who knows. Merely conjecture from my end.

MrBenchmark

D1 also came out on 4 platforms. I personally quad dipped. And didn’t go digital fully except on Xbox One. And that’s where I’m at now no pc or PlayStation not this time.

kyser73

Looks like it. I was surprised too at first(about physical sales) but definitely didn't want to jump to conclusions until we had more data. And here we are.

As soon as I see the qualifier ‘at retail’ I just assume it’s a site looking fur a big headline rather than actual news.

geordiemp

Lol, I guess retail is no longer a valid estimate of sales any longer.

Some people changing their tune after npd thread.

Every Destiny player posted that digital would be huge, and the haters liked to spill the 30 % arguement over and over.

I predicted > 50 % digital and was mocked - its proably higher lol.

Anyway, largest game of 2017 on console means the 30 % rule is dead, buried and gone forever.

RSB

Banned
Unless those videos have been cut in such a way to twist the context, those links do not appear to support your argument. Bungie mislead about the size of their game world. Whether that's because development significantly changed or they were lying, who knows.
Your sarcasm detector is broken.

Top Bottom