• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Destiny 2 down 50% at retail vs. Destiny 1 retail

Carlius

Banned
good. make a better game next time, not some rehash of the first one and then stop delaying PC version of game becaus eyou think piracy will affect you. i wont evne bother with it a month later on PC.

FyreWulff

The context of he was lying, and this lie was repeated in several showings.

Bungie has had real geometry as the border/skybox of their playable spaces since Halo 3. They're one of the few devs that remains committed to staying away from billboard/cube style skybox/setting setup.

latest

Mount Killamanjaro in the background there is real geometry, and could actually be climbed if you could make it past the death barriers to it.

The intent the demonstrator was saying is that everything you saw could be gone to if they wanted. It obviously was not made into actual encounter area for the final game, but it could have been without much trouble if there was justification for making it into one. This wasn't like entire engine functionality being promised and cut out like other games.. he could have gone over there, but had no reason to, because it wasn't set up with encounters.

(side note: they put an actual intentional easter egg into Reach where you could get rid of all the barriers. Meaning you could actually travel in real space and time to "skybox" elements at scale. I flew the Falcon out to a carrier, see if you can find it sitting on top of it . If you can't find it, then click here)

Either way, his intent wasn't to lie, and made sense in context, in that they were demoing an early build of the game and was talking about how the engine supported that area as real geometry, which it is, but it's not playable, as in having enemies placed as encounters. Out of all the complaints about Destiny 1, a random small world area in final retail on an orbit destination is absolutely at the bottom of the pile of legitimate gripes about the game.

Magwik

Banned
good. make a better game next time, not some rehash of the first one and then stop delaying PC version of game becaus eyou think piracy will affect you. i wont evne bother with it a month later on PC.
Like where do people even get this stuff from?
Is there a video game equivalent of InfoWars?

Bungie has had real geometry as the border/skybox of their playable spaces since Halo 3. They're one of the few devs that remains committed to staying away from billboard/cube style skybox/setting setup.

latest

Mount Killamanjaro in the background there is real geometry, and could actually be climbed if you could make it past the death barriers to it.

The intent the demonstrator was saying is that everything you saw could be gone to if they wanted. It obviously was not made into actual encounter area for the final game, but it could have been without much trouble if there was justification for making it into one. This wasn't like entire engine functionality being promised and cut out like other games.. he could have gone over there, but had no reason to, because it wasn't set up with encounters.

(side note: they put an actual intentional easter egg into Reach where you could get rid of all the barriers. Meaning you could actually travel in real space and time to "skybox" elements at scale. I flew the Falcon out to a carrier, see if you can find it sitting on top of it . If you can't find it, then click here)

"We could go there now".

It was a lie then, it is still a lie today.

Destiny is not Halo.

DMiz

I'm not surprised at all.

I don't think the narrative surrounding the launch of Destiny 2 has been an overwhelmingly definitive, "This is the game you've been waiting for."

There are definitely outlets that have published articles that have been to the same tune, but among different people on GAF, the sentiment seems to have been a lot of grumbling about whether or not there was actually content in the game that justified it being called a sequel.

There's also the fact that the PC version/release was put out further away from the console release. There are likely a few fans from the previous console generation who are waiting to get on that, although I doubt those who are waiting to dip in on that version will make up the 50%. Nor do I think that everybody will jump back in, given that the the negative word of mouth that has been surrounding the game lately has had had time to build up since the release of the console versions.

At this point, Bungie needs something that will show that they are addressing hte feedback definitively and meaningfully with respect ot content in this game. However, given how much of the framework is already in place, I doubt they'll be able to make significant changes outside of the ones that they've tried to do already. And I'm not sure Activision would be entertained by the idea of a Destiny 3 if sales continue along this trend.

FyreWulff

"We could go there now".

Destiny is not Halo.

You're the reason why we rarely see walkthrough demos that have actual developer dialogue and are hammily scripted and/or played over with Recent Pop Music . mp3 these days. Thanks.

Duxxy3

Cancelled my PC pre-order. The game should have come out with the console versions. Releasing in late October puts it up against Wolfenstein 2, Mario Odyssey and COD WW2 for me. Somethings gotta give in that glut of games, so it'll be Destiny 2. September was wide open and for whatever reason they decided not to release it then.

Chris1

You're the reason why we rarely see walkthrough demos that have actual developer dialogue and are hammily scripted and/or played over with Recent Pop Music . mp3 these days. Thanks.
I'm not who you're quoting but I'd rather see what's actually possible on a product I may purchase and not be fed a load of bullshit

Because Devs get called out on their lies?

If a Dev cannot do a walkthrough without stating lies it's my fault?

This thread is pretty much an exact rehash of the UK sales thread from a month ago.

People are still acting like digital sales were invented between the release of Destiny 1 and 2, still resorting to anecdotes in the face of data, etc.

Note the quote from Activision Blizzard about how Destiny 2 sales "surpassed the original's records for engagement and digital sales in launch week." They specifically don't say Destiny 2 sold more than 1, because it didn't.

Exactly this. Think about the incentives. Why say digital sales are better, but not total sales? The only reason they wouldn't say total sales were not better is ... ?

Like I wrote in the article, back in 2014 Destiny 1, they put out a press release for first five days giving actual numerical sales number for the game. Nothing of the sort this time with Destiny 2.

Because Devs get called out on their lies?

If a Dev cannot do a walkthrough without stating lies it's my fault?

Because devs can't make a statement without it being picked apart and getting pilloried for it. It's the same reason why devs don't show things until they're close to release and feature complete anymore because if they show something and then for whatever reason have to cut it, they are "lying" to their customers.

Scrawnton

Because devs can't make a statement without it being picked apart and getting pilloried for it. It's the same reason why devs don't show things until they're close to release and feature complete anymore because if they show something and then for whatever reason have to cut it, they are "lying" to their customers.
Like how Bungie showed this crazy trailer and advertised it as Destiny and it ended up being stuff spread across vanilla, two expansions, and its sequel?

I got suckered into the hype and downloaded Destiny 2 after not being happy with how Destiny 1 turned out. I sure did learn my lesson this time. They need to be real careful about how they handle there next outing.

All of Destiny has been nothing but a slimy hook, bait, and sinker intended for gamers from the get go.

Like how Bungie showed this crazy trailer and advertised it as Destiny and it ended up being stuff spread across vanilla, two expansions, and its sequel?

I got suckered into the hype and downloaded Destiny 2 after not being happy with how Destiny 1 turned out. I sure did learn my lesson this time. They need to be real careful about how they handle there next outing.

All of Destiny has been nothing but a slimy hook, bait, and sinker intended for gamers from the get go.

Oh. Ohhhh. I didn't realize this was the Destiny Hate Thread. Got it, I'll be on my way.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I played a lot of Destiny 1 and was excited for the sequel but I didn't like what I saw in Destiny 2.

I felt they killed a lot of what I enjoyed in Destiny 1 and didn't fix many of its flaws.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This is anecdotal but I don't know of a single person that has bought this game physical. There are 12 of us that play the game. While Destiny 1 around 8 of us bought Vanilla D1 physical and ended up regretting it because this is a game that's best owned digitally. Think a lot of people will be surprised by the digital numbers for this game.

Im more shocked that 1.3mil people bought this physically.

What do think, does this deserve a 'Did you buy Destiny 1 retail, Destiny 2 digitial?' pole thread?

I'm pretty darn confident it's a major shift to digital going on personal experience with friends with D2, like....the most confident I can think of lately in a shift in retail->digital in a game.

It's a game that keeps on giving and is such a long haul, makes sense to own it digitally for convenience if nothing else (for me and all those I play with anyways).

It's still not a great game. I sold my copy as I realized the enemies basically have no AI and I wasn't enjoying shooting them as they stood still.

This is anecdotal but I don't know of a single person that has bought this game physical. There are 12 of us that play the game. While Destiny 1 around 8 of us bought Vanilla D1 physical and ended up regretting it because this is a game that's best owned digitally. Think a lot of people will be surprised by the digital numbers for this game.

Im more shocked that 1.3mil people bought this physically.

Same for me, out of the 10-12 people I regularly play D2 with, I don't believe a single one of them bought physically. Between rising digital sales and not releasing on 360/PS3, this is probably not nearly as big a drop off as it looks.

Heigic

burnout? Cant really see the same gameplay in a few different areas be all that appealing.

I probably would have bought into the launch hype if the PC version was released at the same time but now have no interest in the game. At least I saved $60

Azerare

To be expected as some people weren't happy with the original launch.

I'm just curious how many migrated from console to pc. I know the sales will be lower but a lot of my friends are waiting for pc release.

Duxxy3

To be expected as some people weren't happy with the original launch.

I'm just curious how many migrated from console to pc. I know the sales will be lower but a lot of my friends are waiting for pc release.

I was waiting for it as well, but it's a long wait and there's a lot of other games coming out around the same time. There really wasn't much coming out when the console versions launched.

Picked apart? Big fat lol.

Is not picking apart, the devs repeatedly told a direct lie.

Just like that No Man's Sky dev.

I'd argue these numbers are worse for retailers than Activision. As the market continues it's transition to digital, these numbers aren't very useful for GAF purposes.

Not saying this is the reason, but I would be interested in seeing digital figures versus d1. I, and 3 of my friends, were all physical on d1 and switched to digital with d2. Just happening more and more I think.

geordiemp

Picked apart? Big fat lol.

Is not picking apart, the devs repeatedly told a direct lie.

Just like that No Man's Sky dev.

What are you rabbiting on about man. If you and to go explore empty landscaes and climb hills, go buy Zelda.

Destiny is a coop shooter played with friends with lots of enemies onscreen, its not for wandering around an empty wilderness. If you want to go wandeing, buy a different game. No destiny players gives a crap about go to that mountain.

If you said the coop shooting experience was not to your liking and said why, players might actually read your post.

If you wnat to troll Destiny, try putting some effort in and be good at it.

Theorry

Not saying this is the reason, but I would be interested in seeing digital figures versus d1. I, and 3 of my friends, were all physical on d1 and switched to digital with d2. Just happening more and more I think.

Guess we need for the earning call. To get some info.

LQX

Maybe folks are waiting for the PC version. I know I am. Hopefully they unban me before release.

Strakt

LMAO i can tell you smashed ur face on your keyboard for this one

Wamb0wneD

I have never fucked a LMAO before, but I spose this is your first Destiny thread, I have filled the destiny bingo card at least three times already.

Nah it isn't. There aren't several of these threads daily. This is the second negative Destiny related thread I read this week, the first being the one from a pro sharing valid criticism of the game in a non toxic, constructive manner, where you brought up the same "mimimi it's cool hating on this game" bs, which was just reductive strawman nonsense in light of a thread that tried to spark reasonable discussion with more or less valid points being brought up.

This one simply shares numbers that happen to be worse than the first game and because there's not much to say about that in a positive light except maybe that the ditigal sales are higher this time you have to make up daily threads that don't happen to fit your narrative.
It's hyperbole and you know it. There is no witch hunt happening.

jviggy43

"We could go there now".

Destiny is not Halo.
I'm so tired of people trying to distort what bungie was very clearly alluding to in that segment. And it's not like that's the only example of them being disingenuous about pieces of the game in order to make things sound much larger in scale than they actually were.

You're the reason devs feel they can be dishonest with their pr and get away with it. Thanks.

What are you rabbiting on about man. If you and to go explore empty landscaes and climb hills, go buy Zelda.

Destiny is a coop shooter played with friends with lots of enemies onscreen, its not for wandering around an empty wilderness. If you want to go wandeing, buy a different game. No destiny players gives a crap about go to that mountain.

If you said the coop shooting experience was not to your liking and said why, players might actually read your post.

If you wnat to troll Destiny, try putting some effort in and be good at it.
Holy cow that's not even remotely the point.

Par Score

You also ignored the part where Destiny 2 was still the top selling physical release even thought it had a physical portion decline from D1 soooo either the entire industry is in trouble or physical is on the way out

I'm not sure what's with the dismissiveness here. The AAA console industry is absolutely in trouble, in the UK at least.

Big sequel after big sequel is down, down, down. Destiny 2 is not an exception, it's the rule.

Digital sales have not been the saviour the industry hoped for or expected. Lootboxes and the like are not a greedy play from a position of strength, they are a desperate scramble for life against looming catastrophe.

Dynasty8

I wish the game was an expansion. Would have paid $60 for it too (it's worth the money IMHO). However, the PvP in Destiny is a huge downgrade for me and many others alike. It's seriously boring...I'm not trying to pessimistic, I gave the game over a hundred hours already and the new 4v4 PvP is honestly not fun.

I totally understand how due to the story/lore it wouldn't have worked (the tower, new subclasses, etc)....but I wish they included all the raids, strikes, same PvP, Prison of Elders, old planets/locations from the first Destiny into the second.

Durante

I'm not sure why you are arguing that it's necessary to allow developers to lie in order to have non-scripted walkthrough demos.

Of course you can, you just have to be truthful in establishing what's certain and what is in flux.

gatti-man

"We could go there now".

Destiny is not Halo.

You're being really silly here. Everyone at that presentation knew what he meant. Context is key.

Link? I never saw any destiny 1 vanilla ad showing off TTK content or iron lords content. Or destiny 2 content lmao.

I'm not sure what's with the dismissiveness here. The AAA console industry is absolutely in trouble, in the UK at least.

Big sequel after big sequel is down, down, down. Destiny 2 is not an exception, it's the rule.

Digital sales have not been the saviour the industry hoped for or expected. Lootboxes and the like are not a greedy play from a position of strength, they are a desperate scramble for life against looming catastrophe.

These posts are making me wonder if I'm still on neogaf.....

JDB

Banned
Of course you can, you just have to be truthful in establishing what's certain and what is in flux.
In this case (if I'm understanding what supposed lie was originally referred to) the developer didn't lie, though. He was talking about how the background area was all real geometry so you could walk around there. He never said it was an actual playspace. It was in the context of what a great job the art team did with the new technology. People then took is as the developer saying "See those mountains in the distance? You can go there!" which wasn't the case. That's how developers' words get taken out of context and twisted to fit a narrative.

It's amazing people think digital sales aren't consistently growing at a significant pace every quarter

The increase in digital sales did not offset a 50% loss in physical sales. Remember when they say things like, digital sales went up by 20% etc. It's 20% over the previous years digital sales, not 20% of the total sales. Nobody is saying that digital sales didn't increase.

Top Bottom