• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

DR2K

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
If everyone knows that the only stupids are Sony amirite? Since obviously money-hatting doesn't work.

NPD thread (or what little there is of one), so I don't know what your problem is.

But the "money hatting" isn't just for the US territory as your original statement implied.

This generation has been absolutely nuts. Wii has fallen off the cliff, and 360 in its 6th year has ascended to the heavens. Nobody could've predicted this and it just goes to show you how crazy unpredictable this industry is.

Shinjiru

Glad to see L.A. Noire at the top. I finished the game over the weekend and enjoyed it very much.

Well done Rockstar/Team Bondi.

noobie

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
Do you think Sony is getting value for money from all the money-hatting they've been doing since Arkham Asylum?

I know alot of stuff still sold more on 360. Recently Dead Space 2 was confirmed selling more on 360 in the UK despite being advertised as a PS3 exclusive. It seems like Sony made it a strategy to secure game content exclusives or similar (special editions etc.) but i'm not feeling their efforts are changing the tide. Karma for saying they don't money hat beforehand u think heh?

if my memory is serving me correctly XBOX360 hardware sales in USA is over 25M and PS3 has around 17M. So any game which is selling 60% on XBOX and 40% on PS3 is doing fair sales. but if its selling 55% (or anything less than 60%) on XBOX and more than 40% on PS3 then it means that advertisement did work. and if its opposite like more than 60% on XBOX and less than 40% on PS3 then this means advertisement helped XBOX..

so i dont think difference of 8M or 50% larger user base can be ignored..

btw if my numbers for hardware are outdated then please ignore, i hope you got the logic which i m trying to give.

dude

dude
Handheld gaming is dying. I can't see either 3DS nor PSVita achieving their predecessor's success.

Opiate said:
Right, that's why I said they likely wouldn't lose money in that way.

Let's just agree that if Nintendo really wanted to, they could drop the price of the 3DS to 50 dollars right now, and they would still be losing less money per system than Sony was at the launch of the PS3.

Needless to say, the 3DS would immediately and hilariously dominate. They could do that, but don't have the luxuries that Sony is afforded by being a gigantic, multinational corporation with enormous external resources at their disposal.
I'm not sure about that - I'll predict that even at 200$ the 3DS will not dominate like the original DS did.

entrement said:
Nintendo really overstepped with the pricing. What the heck were they thinking? Did they forget how price sensitive customers are?
Huh? Their previous home console release, for instance, got panned by plenty of analysts and insiders for being priced too low. This for a console that tech-wise was based on 2000-2001 architecture.

3DS is actually a large jump up from DS and features a trendy/modern feature in the 3D capabilities. I think this is mostly the result of a simply atrocious launch lineup. If things haven't picked up by August/September, then maybe there are some deeper issues to address like possibly a price drop.

Hammer24

Banned
While the LAN numbers by themselves don´t look too shabby, I still think R* expected sales more in line with RDR last year. Its not as if it had serious competition...

Nekofrog said:
I remember a certain overpriced system having the same quote used as an excuse for its lack of success.
thats_the_joke.jpg

soultron

Banned
I got burned after being so hyped for Brink.

This does make me hopeful that SD will make Brink 2, and a much better experience -- with a smooth launch -- at that.

It's a really cool universe. I hope they get the chance to expand on it with a sequel.

alphaNoid

Banned
nextgeneration said:
This generation has been absolutely nuts. Wii has fallen off the cliff, and 360 in its 6th year has ascended to the heavens. Nobody could've predicted this and it just goes to show you how crazy unpredictable this industry is.
Well I think everyone expected the Wii to drop off, it had to. What I think nobody expected was the Wii plummeting to 3rd.. dead last third and the 360 just stomping it for a year straight.

Shnookums

I'm surprised and happy about the Brink numbers. I really love that game after the kinks were worked out. It's a shame that both of Splash Damage's commercial releases have been hampered by rough edges at release ... hopefully this means they will get to make another game (and hopefully the next one will be more refined out of the gate).

Disclaimer: I have the PC version and haven't seen the console versions.

Cromat

Is the 360 really profitable for Microsoft?
Was it even worth it?

We keep hearing about selling consoles at a loss (though that's over with by now), the whole red-ring issue and so on. Is the 360 considered a success within Microsoft and the tech industry?

Cromat said:
Was it even worth it?

We keep hearing about selling consoles at a loss (though that's over with by now), the whole red-ring issue and so on. Is the 360 considered a success within Microsoft and the tech industry?

360 has been profitable for the last few years, but I think it accounts for a small percentage of their profits (15% or so I think-- maybe even less than that). What they don't really talk about in the NPDs is the digital stuff. Xbox Live is doing over $1 billion in revenue every year and that number is likely to grow even more as MS keeps improving their service, as more consumers buy the 360, and as MS starts to integrate Xbox Live into Windows PCs in the future.

The 360 is one of the few success stories in MS outside of Windows right now. So its big for them. And even though its only a small driver of profits, its a big driver in terms of mindshare and relevance. MS needs to keep doing things like Xbox to keep their brand relevant like Apple has, and they need to do it to avoid becoming IBM (a very profitable but unsexy company).

PARANO1A

dude said:
Handheld gaming is dying. I can't see either 3DS nor PSVita achieving their predecessor's success.

I'm not sure about that - I'll predict that even at 200$ the 3DS will not dominate like the original DS did.
Handheld gaming is doing better than it ever has before with a much bigger market... Just not on machines made by Sony or Nintendo.

UberTag

alphaNoid said:
Well I think everyone expected the Wii to drop off, it had to. What I think nobody expected was the Wii plummeting to 3rd.. dead last third and the 360 just stomping it for a year straight.
You're overstating the trend somewhat.
The Wii has only finished behind the PS3 for a brief two month trend in March and April and it's likely that it rebounded somewhat in May following its price drop/new bundle offering.

Granted, if it can't sustain any momentum from this drop over the long-term there will be cause for concern.

Cromat

infinityBCRT said:
360 has been profitable for the last few years, but I think it accounts for a small percentage of their profits (15% or so I think-- maybe even less than that). What they don't really talk about in the NPDs is the digital stuff. Xbox Live is doing over $1 billion in revenue every year and that number is likely to grow even more as MS keeps improving their service, as more consumers buy the 360, and as MS starts to integrate Xbox Live into Windows PCs in the future.

The 360 is one of the few success stories in MS outside of Windows right now. So its big for them. And even though its only a small driver of profits, its a big driver in terms of mindshare and relevance. MS needs to keep doing things like Xbox to keep their brand relevant like Apple has, and they need to do it to avoid becoming IBM (a very profitable but unsexy company).

So basically there's no way that Microsoft would step back from the gaming industry right?
I always felt that they might stop bothering since this is a very hard and unforgiving industry to be a part of, and they are less invested in it than Sony and obviously Nintendo.

Fredescu

Cromat said:
Was it even worth it?

The entertainment and devices division has been profitable for a few years. It's small fry compared to Windows, Server and Tools, and Business, but it's getting there. Check out the growth graph at the bottom of the page: http://www.microsoft.com/investor/E...Earnings/Performance/FY11/Q3/Performance.aspx

Delio said:
You you would have to be batshit insane to think they would launch with all that LOL
Maybe I listed too many of them (basically, all the games I want!), but one or two of those should've been launch games.

Zelda should've been at launch.

duk

Banned
nextgeneration said:

yep, im armchairing next gen lol

1. sony
2. ms
3. nintendo

Cromat

xbhaskarx said:
It's more profitable than the PS3, was the PS3 worth it?

I have no idea. From reading this forum it seems that both the 360 and the PS3 don't really make sense financially, but maybe my impression is wrong. That is why I asked.

Special J

Banned
thats the thing videogames are high revenue but low profit generally. says revenue was 1.9 billion but profit was only 200 million.

xbhaskarx

duk said:
yep, im armchairing next gen lol

1. sony
2. ms
3. nintendo

In a shocking move absolutely no one saw coming, a member of gaming forum "NeoGAF" predicted future success for Sony, troubles for Nintendo.

m.i.s.

Banned
GoldenEye 007 said:
Huh? Their previous home console release, for instance, got panned by plenty of analysts and insiders for being priced too low. This for a console that tech-wise was based on 2000-2001 architecture.

I think that was only after the event. In the end, over-pricing hardware primarily used for playing games, always does more harm than good.

And, you know, analysts, I mean, just what do they "know"? Just as much and, probably much less, than you and I.

Cromat said:
Was it even worth it?

It's profitable right now and that's all investors really care about.

anddo0

Odd, no one on my friends list even owns Brink. The game had a huge marketing push. So, it's no surprise it did well out the gate.

L.A. Norie, kinda deserves it.. Much like the first Assassins Creed. I think they have the building blocks for what could be a great franchise in the making.

acm2000

Cromat said:
Was it even worth it?

at the end of next qtr, maybe one after that, MS will be in profit on 360, including paying off the $2b they offloaded in advance for RRoD, which is a phenomenal achievement

TheOddOne said:
Have they come out of the money sinkhole that was the first Xbox?

Well, no. But they're playing the long game. If they play their cards right (Much more accurate Kinect technology, same powerful GPU and easy develper tools) then they could potentially dominate next generation just as they'd planned to dominate this one.

TheOddOne said:
Have they come out of the money sinkhole that was the first Xbox?

Someone will post the graph that shows the direction all three are heading, hopefully. If I recall correctly Microsoft should break even this fiscal year.

dude said:

Re-read Opiate's comment. He said 3DS would utterly dominate if Nintendo dropped it's price to $50, NOT by $50.

SapientWolf said:
I wonder if more advertising would have helped Brink.

There has been, as will be for all Bethesda games this year, even mediocre stuff like Hunted, massive advertising. Brink had double page ad's in pretty much every games magazine and movie magazine out here in Europe, serious visibility online...so 400k was certainly something Bethesda should have gotten with the tens of millions they put into marketing Brink.

szaromir

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Someone will post the graph that shows the direction all three are heading, hopefully. If I recall correctly Microsoft should break even this fiscal year.
The E&D will still be very much in red. However, it accommodates not only Xbox and Xbox 360 but also Zune, Zune HD, Kin, Windows Phone 7 etc. Xbox 360 has turned out (most likely) to be very profitable at this point.

szaromir said:
The E&D will still be very much in red. However, it accommodates not only Xbox and Xbox 360 but also Zune, Zune HD, Kin, Windows Phone 7 etc. Xbox 360 has turned out (most likely) to be very profitable at this point.
E&D division will be in profit (since the release of the 360) by the end of this financial year. Obviously making a profit since the release of the original xbox will be a whole different story.

jcm

infinityBCRT said:
MS needs to keep doing things like Xbox to keep their brand relevant like Apple has, and they need to do it to avoid becoming IBM (a very profitable but unsexy company).

Yes, being like IBM would be awful.

Xzufg.png

Top Bottom