• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD May 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: 3DS And Wii Hardware Sales]

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Jaded Alyx said:
Nintendo must be scouring over old NPD PR from Sony circa 2007 for 'effective' methods of damage control.
Maybe they'll combine the numbers on the DS, the 3DS, and the Wii to assert that they are the selling more hardware than any of their competitors.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dance In My Blood said:
Maybe they'll combine the numbers on the DS, the 3DS, and the Wii to assert that they are the selling more hardware than any of their competitors.

"We're proud to announce the sales numbers of the DS Family!" - Nintendo.

Alrus

Dance In My Blood said:

Didn't they combine the sales of the gba to the ds at the begining because the ds was selling badly while the gba was still really strong?

Dance In My Blood said:

Yup, Nintendo family sales incoming...

knitoe

nextgeneration said:
This generation has been absolutely nuts. Wii has fallen off the cliff, and 360 in its 6th year has ascended to the heavens. Nobody could've predicted this and it just goes to show you how crazy unpredictable this industry is.
A few years back, I actually predicted the that Wii could go from first to last once Microsoft, especially with Kinect/Natal, and Sony launches their motion control with better graphics. Of course, people back then responded that casual gamers only care about price and not graphics. My response was Waggle > graphics, but once everyone was on even footing, graphics became important. And, price wasn't big deal when you are only talking about $50-100 difference.

Sianos

All though this doesn't apply to May, in the future Wii will decline even more because of the announcement of Wii U.

Related to this, with Microsoft's current success with Kinect and the 360, will they want hold onto it and hold off announcing a new console until sales slow down? If this continues long enough, will they try to go for the whole ten year cycle, or at least close to it?

-----------

But most importantly, we will have some new numbers to play with and to back up our "Nintendo is DOOMED" claims with. Hooray!
:p

1-D_FTW

Was it ever determined exactly who pressured NPD into this new format? I really hope it wasn't Nintendo, because when they were kicking rear and taking names they liked to gloat like no one's business. Be a real poor sport's move if this was because of them.

Microsoft going into beast mode. They're really taking a hold of the US market.

I'm also not convinced that the handheld market is going to be very profitable in the US anymore. It, like the Wii, hit its peak a while back and is now coming back down to earth.

knitoe

1-D_FTW said:
Was it ever determined exactly who pressured NPD into this new format? I really hope it wasn't Nintendo, because when they were kicking rear and taking names they liked to gloat like no one's business. Be a real poor sport's move if this was because of them.
If I had to guess, it was Sony. Back then, Microsoft and Nintendo always releases their numbers. We only got Sony numbers from 3rd parties.

m.i.s.

Banned
nicknick said:
Love the Nintendo Doomed threads. Never change, GAF.

You know, I get so sick of this kind of response. Everyone knows, Nintendo is not a cottage industry and has cash reserves of tens of billions in the bank.

Just who, pray tell, is calling doom on Nintendo? Results appear to be bad and so they'll get bad press. That's only natural and it happened with PSP and it happened with PS3 and it happened with PSP GO.

Roll with the punches and all that.

Alrus

knitoe said:
A few years back, I actually predicted the that Wii could go from first to last once Microsoft, especially with Kinect/Natal, and Sony launches their motion control with better graphics. Of course, people back then responded that casual gamers only care about price and not graphics. My response was Waggle > graphics, but once everyone was on even footing, graphics became important. And, price wasn't big deal when you are only talking about $50-100 difference.

Yeah we're not really there yet...

nicknick said:
This is the first time they've given anyone a clear shot at the handheld market. The price has stopped only but the most ardent fans from supporting it, it's software lineup has been woefully inadequate for such a high priced handheld, it looks like the next year is going to improve that drastically, but who knows what will happen.

I will admit that I consider myself a Nintendo fanboy. I generally always love the companies approach to gimmicks. But in a lot of ways the 3DS seems like a PS3 style screw up. No defining software to make the price acceptable. I still question if a more or less purely gaming handheld system can be priced over $200 and expect to thrive.

Well... I may love their games with all of my heart, even gaining enjoyment from Metroid: Other M when played on mute. But if they don't have the defining 3DS game out by the end of this year, they might have just taken their sure thing market, and turned it into something they actually have to defend.

markatisu

knitoe said:

Ummm no, not even close.

If MS starts 4x-5x up each month then you might have something there but do we seriously need to start the JP sales thread outlook of if the 360 keeps selling at this rate in 13 years it will catch up?

UberTag

nicknick said:
It's quite sad. I actually had to post to defend the Wii in this thread and I'm not exactly a huge believer in Wii U right now. It's like people expect the industry to just conform to their distorted visions of status overnight.

The Wii is probably a healthy 2nd place this month (improving from being a narrow 3rd the past two) and lined up to finish 1st next month on the basis of no software and being little more than a glorified Mario Kart / Just Dance / Zumba Fitness machine. Yet people are beating the "Nintendo is doomed in the console space" drum louder than ever.

The Wii U may be a big 'ole question mark but the Wii is still a success story.

The other thing that's distorting perception right now is the absence of budget awareness for a lot of these titles.

All of the "congratulations Brink" remarks for Bethesda and Splash Damage might be for nought if both the production and advertising budgets for that title were severely out of whack with reality. Despite finishing 4th in March, Homefront moved twice as much product then as Brink did in May and Kaos Studios was promptly shut down. All things considered, Brink "only finishing a distant 2nd in a relatively competition-free environment" may still be perceived as a disappointment. Just saying.

One last thing...

Thunder Monkey said:
This is the first time they've given anyone a clear shot at the handheld market. The price has stopped only but the most ardent fans from supporting it, it's software lineup has been woefully inadequate for such a high priced handheld, it looks like the next year is going to improve that drastically, but who knows what will happen.

I will admit that I consider myself a Nintendo fanboy. I generally always love the companies approach to gimmicks. But in a lot of ways the 3DS seems like a PS3 style screw up. No defining software to make the price acceptable. I still question if a more or less purely gaming handheld system can be priced over $200 and expect to thrive.
The Nintendo DS had a holiday launch at $149 whereas the 3DS had a spring non-holiday launch at $249. Just factoring in North America, the DS hit disastrously dismal numbers in its first year based on a complete void of software that the 3DS hasn't even come close to sinking to as of yet.

With a killer lineup of software on deck, the 3DS should perform fine over the long haul considering its entry point. The only market where there may be some cause for concern right now is Europe.

dude

dude
PARANO1A said:
Handheld gaming is doing better than it ever has before with a much bigger market... Just not on machines made by Sony or Nintendo.
Exactly - That was my point.

BritBloke916 said:
Re-read Opiate's comment. He said 3DS would utterly dominate if Nintendo dropped it's price to $50, NOT by $50.
Oh, my bad then.

iidesuyo

The "Wait for OoT 3D!" talk is scary... you know your system is in huge trouble when everyone hopes the re-release of a 13 year old game will be its saviour.

edit: beaten to the numbers

I was expecting the 3DS drop to be smaller than 50%, but I can't say the system didn't deserve it considering the lack of software releases. June will be interesting with OOT and Mercenaries, but the current schedule indicates another drought coming through July and August.

iidesuyo said:
The "Wait for OoT 3D!" talk is scary... you know your system is in huge trouble when everyone hopes the re-release of a 13 year old game will be its saviour.

I have no doubt that it'll sell extremely well and be a significant system-seller worldwide, but only in the short term. It's hardly brimming with evergreen potential. 3DS sales will fall back down to earth in July and August, with no major software releases currently scheduled for those months.

[Nintex]

so what did the old DS do, didn't they just drop the price on that and rereleased a bunch of Mario games? Nintendo makes no sense at times lol.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

WELP

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

szaromir said:
Great news for gamers. Nintendo botched the launch and now will have to fight hard to gain consumer interest back (the same thing happened with Sony and PS3).
You're right on the main point.

Wii numbers are fine.

They need software now to get those 3DS numbers up.

szaromir said:
Great news for gamers. Nintendo botched the launch and now will have to fight hard to gain consumer interest back (the same thing happened with Sony and PS3).

The good news for Nintendo at least is that their competitor hasn't released yet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wii numbers are surprisingly higher than I thought.

97K for 3DS ...ouch!

That's what they get for releasing this thing without any quality software. I'm very interested to see what bump, if any, they get when Zelda is released.

Why Nintendo doesn't make it a requirement for each system to launch with a new Mario game is beyond me.

Sianos

Wii sales will most likely continue to keep going down thanks to Wii U, maybe with a little bump when Skyward Sword comes out. As far as the 3DS goes, there just isn't that much good software out yet. Ocarina will help, and the holiday release schedule seems pretty strong. But for now, it won't sell that well.

UberTag

Factoring year-over-year variation:

Xbox 360: 270K (+39%)
Wii: 236K (-29.5%)
PlayStation 3: 177K (+15%)

The 3DS came in right about where it was expected to... although that won't stop the alarmists.

The Wii will make a strong push for 1st in June.

[Nintex]

szaromir said:
That's just not how Nintendo works. When something bomba's for too long, they drop it. They won't throw money at it untill the problems go away.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Plinko said:

97K for 3DS ...ouch!

That's what they get for releasing this thing without any quality software. I'm very interested to see what bump, if any, they get when Zelda is released.

Why Nintendo doesn't make it a requirement for each system to launch with a new Mario game is beyond me.
I'm not happy to see good HW not selling (even if overpriced) BUT they absolutely deserve paltry sales for the horrific launch window they've exhibited.

They should have held it at least a few months. I had this discussion in the thread yesterday but the best game they will have is an enhanced port of a 10+ year old game. That's not awesome by any stretch.

mentalfloss said:
Wii numbers are fine.

They need software now to get those 3DS numbers up.

Not that it's going to be a multimillion-seller, but I have no idea why NoA is releasing SF64 in September when the Japanese release is in July.

<Insert appropriate gif here for 3DS numbers.>

For what it's worth, Nintendo is my favoritest company and the 3DS is the first Nintendo console I haven't bought at launch in... I don't know how long. And that includes the first two revisions of the DS. Sorry, Big N!

[Nintex] said:
That's just not how Nintendo works. When something bomba's for too long, they drop it. They won't throw money at it untill the problems go away.

This is also a good point. Nintendo doesn't usually have fall-back plans for its hardware. If it's not working out, they take it out to the back and shoot it.

szaromir

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Can they afford to ignore their fundamental market and newly released product? I don't think so. They'll have to drop the price, launch more and better online services and invest in more games, first and third party developed. Hopefully even let garage developers access the platform on XLIG terms, that would be amazing, though it's a fool's dream. :(

97k!?! Oh shit son, 3DS is doing worse than even I thought it was...

I'm starting to think that even Vita may be too expensive at $249, it is just a lot of money for a dedicated gaming handheld. Sony are going to have to really push all of the non-gaming features of Vita to make it a success.

[Nintex]

A system without games doesn't sell, shocking. I bet Nintendo executives are having a heart attack right about now. "Bu-bu-bu releasing no games worked so well for Wii :("

szaromir said:
Can they afford to ignore their fundamental market and newly released product? I don't think so.
Coming up from Nintendo GameBoy HD along with Pokemon Cyan and Teal. They dropped the Cube in 2004 to focus on the DS. It won't happen overnight but if the 3DS continues to fail they'll shift to something else. They won't subsidize something that doesn't sell.

Sianos

Plinko said:

97K for 3DS ...ouch!

Yeah, if they had really pushed for Mario Kart and Ocarina at launch (wasn't Ocarina actually pushed back from launch to not "overshadow" 3rd party games?), things wouldn't have been so bad.

The strategy of letting 3rd parties carry the launch doesn't really work when the 3rd parties haven't finished any of their big projects yet.

Mr_Brit

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Nintendo would sell this thing at a loss before they drop it. No way is the 3DS going anywhere no matter how bad it does.

gerg

[Nintex] said:

But, at the same time, I don't think that they'd concede such a large market, unless they thought that the Vita would be an equally fantastical bomb.

[Nintex] said:
A system without games doesn't sell, shocking. I bet Nintendo executives are having a heart attack right about now. "Bu-bu-bu releasing no games worked so well for Wii :("

They said... as they peered over Japanese sales charts from 2008 onwards?

Top Bottom