• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Deku

Banned
teruterubozu said:
Ah, the lesser of two evils - that's healthy for the industry.

No I mean 3rd parties have more options and they actually sell stuff on the Wii rather than nothing on the PS3.

Since you believe nothing has changed at all, I thought I should point that out.

Aeris130

Xeke said:
Why? If I didn't go to gaming forums I would have no clue what the hell Lair is. Virtua Fighter 5 is a sequel that everyone knew was coming and it still bombed out. I'm not saying that new franchises can't save a system(Halo), but I don't think it is wise to pin your hopes on it because I don't expect it to do much better than Resistance.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath either. But we'll finally see how an obligatory (and primary) member of the wait-for-*- -title performs out in the open, and how well the 'hardcore' players can support a new ip (or rush to get the hardware first). This game is practically on every PS3-list posted after all, and if it tanks, it would give some hints as to what Heavenly Sword et al should be expecting.

Then there's FFXIII and MSG4, but due to their (established) popularity, hardware sales should be the only interesting factor to gauge in those cases.

Xeke

Banned
Deku said:
No I mean 3rd parties have more options and they actually sell stuff on the Wii rather than nothing on the PS3.

Since you believe nothing has changed at all, I thought I should point that out.

Psh. There are plenty of 3rd party games that sell amazing on PS3. I just can't think of them at the moment...

Deku

Banned
Xeke said:
Psh. There are plenty of 3rd party games that sell amazing on PS3. I just can't think of them at the moment...

I guess Madden would count. It barely beat out the Wii version. But you're right, history repeating itself. :(

That's all nice and dandy, but publishers want big hits, not just a surviving venue for their releases. Honestly, I don't see a third party hitting a homerun on the Wii. RE4, yeah, but come on, after GC and PS2 releases how many people are going to be running to the stores for that one.

Xeke

Banned
heliosRAzi said:
I thought the Wii version edged out the PS3 version in the end though.

Doesn't matter.

Let's look at prices. The PS3 is $599 and the Wii is $249.

There is no excuse for the Wii version to not blow the PS3 version out of the water. Just imagine if you can, for a second, how much it would have sold on PS3 if it were the same price as Wii. Mind boggling huh.

Xeke said:
Doesn't matter.

There is no excuse for the Wii version to not blow the PS3 version out of the water. Just imagine if you can, for a second, how much it would have sold on PS3 if it were the same price as Wii. Mind boggling huh.

Crafting arguments based on the hypothetical is irrelevant.

borghe said:
It's up to the developers and publishers to get quality content out there.

I agree, but it wasn't too long ago when Nintendo had to convince EA to keep sports on the GameCube and send Miyamoto out to bring in Metal Gear. Let's hope 3rd party changes their attitude about Nintendo's 1st-party software successes, but I'm not optimistic.
There may have to be another pro-active effort by Nintendo somewhere down the line.

Eteric Rice

Xeke said:
Doesn't matter.

And I wonder how much it cost them to make the Wii version?...

Anyway, I doubt non-exclusive titles will do that well on the Wii. Personally, there's a lot of games I want, but they're either to expensive for what they are, or there's a port of it on another system.

Besides, I'd say third parties are doing relatively well considering the size of the Wii's current user base. It'll only grow as time goes on.

Deku

Banned
teruterubozu said:
I agree, but it wasn't too long ago when Nintendo had to convince EA to keep sports on the GameCube and send Miyamoto out to bring in Metal Gear. Let's hope 3rd party changes their attitude about Nintendo's 1st-party software successes, but I'm not optimistic.
There may have to be another pro-active effort by Nintendo somewhere down the line.

That was like in 2003. It's 4 years ago. And EA doesn't need convincing, they WANT in.

Eteric Rice said:
And I wonder how much it cost them to make the Wii version?...

Anyway, I doubt non-exclusive titles will do that well on the Wii. Personally, there's a lot of games I want, but they're either to expensive for what they are, or there's a port of it on another system.

Besides, I'd say third parties are doing relatively well considering the size of the Wii's current user base. It'll only grow as time goes on.

But that's my point. Publishers want smash hits, not "relatively well considering".

Eteric Rice

teruterubozu said:
But that's my point. Publishers want smash hits, not "relatively well considering".

Well, considering there are PS2 titles that sold 100,000 or under with a 100,000,000 person userbase... I'd say it's not bad.

Eteric Rice said:
Well, considering there are PS2 titles that sold 100,000 or under with a 100,000,000 person userbase... I'd say it's not bad.

Well, you and I know that the PS2 software library is quite over-saturated. That's the other side of the coin and whole different discussion (i.e. the sheer number of crappy games).

WOW, biggest NPD thread ever? better get used to it because I think every month the thread will get bigger :D

with all the things that happened this week I didn't even noticed there was no e3 :lol

Deku

Banned
For right now, teruterubozu has no good arguments left. It might change in the future though.

teruterubozu_s.gif

PkunkFury

teruterubozu said:
And yes, Harry Potter could have the potential to be the #1 3rd party Wii game (although that would make me sad).

yeah, harry Potter doesn't deserve to sell that well on Wii. They've just ported analog controls to the wii mote. It may feel more interesting to people, but it isn't really taking advantage of the controls. Games like Elebits and Korolinpa deserve to sell more

as far as NPD sales are concerned, I'm wondering what happened in may that we can expect to increase PS3 sales. Did anything good release? Is it possible the PS3 sales will continue going down from here?

Terrell

teruterubozu said:
Can I feel free to quote this in any discussion regarding PS3 losing exclusives? It'd really drive the point home.

Threi

notag
Terrell said:
Can I feel free to quote this in any discussion regarding PS3 losing exclusives? It'd really drive the point home.

Don't forget good ol' sales threads.

"PS3 is selling well considering..."

RBH

..pakbeka.. said:
WOW, biggest NPD thread ever? better get used to it because I think every month the thread will get bigger :D

with all the things that happened this week I didn't even noticed there was no e3 :lol

I believe the February NPD was 50 pages.

We're almost there! :D

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Xeke said:
Doesn't matter.

PS3 Madden probably cost 15 million to make.
Wii Madden probably cost 5 million to make.

EA is making way more money with the Wii version.

Deku said:
For right now, teruterubozu has no good arguments left. It might change in the future though.

teruterubozu_s.gif

Haha! NPD threads - good times.

Yes, feel free to quote "relatively well considering", but I stole it from Eteric Rice.

Cosmozone

Third parties don't do well on Nintendo consoles, people think. But I'd rather say most of the user base for those third-party games just didn't buy a Nintendo because it was "kiddy". Wii had a similar problem right from the start, but it has a great chance to break that spell. Traditional gamers have a hard time to warm up to the new controller, but it's appeal turned out higher than even Nintendo expected, also with those gamers.

AniHawk

I'd just like to take the time to point out that Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin outsold Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, when Castlevania is on a system that apparently heavily favors Nintendo games, and MGSPO is on a particular brand where MGS sells the strongest.

But it'll probably be different for the Wii. It has so far, right?

Xeke

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
PS3 Madden probably cost 15 million to make.
Wii Madden probably cost 5 million to make.

EA is making way more money with the Wii version.

But see. In the long run, image is more important than profit. The PS3 is the machine that will prove it.

EA should have just made a Wii-specific Harry Potter game from the ground up rather than EA Playground or whatever.

Though the Harry Potter game they have coming will probably do quite well anyway.

KINGMOKU

Xeke said:
But see. In the long run, image is more important than profit. The PS3 is the machine that will prove it.
Yup. For big time games, that is the truth.

Thats why if a game sells under what is expected of it, it could tarnish the image of the franchise.

Both are linked.

Leondexter said:
To the people having meltdowns over the Wii's success:

Thanks for the laughs, but there's no reason to panic. The Wii isn't going to kill your favorite games or genres. There will still be games you like, just so long as you continue to buy them. So what if they get outsold by games you don't like? Big deal. Madden outsells dozens of better games every year.

The Gamecube was my favorite system last gen. Its sales didn't stop me from enjoying its games...in fact, I now own more Gamecube games than I do for any other system (nearly 100), which still just blows my mind. The PS2 was a fairly close 2nd, the Xbox a distant third.

The Wii, despite its market success, will probably not surpass the Cube for me. But the 360 will definitely surpass the Xbox. The PS3 will do fine as well.

See my point? The market doesn't determine your enjoyment, and hardcore games aren't going anywhere, because hardcore gamers aren't going anywhere. There's room for everyone. Nintendo survived in 2nd, then 3rd place, and still made great games. So can Sony and Microsoft (for other reasons, but they can).

Kabuki Waq said:
It is not a great post. It is completely wrong. If the GC was a success dont you think you would see a traditional 3d mario game? do you think nintendo would change its direction so radically if GC was a huge hit?

The more Wii succeeds the more Wii Type games we will get and less traditional games. If XBL had failed i can tell you right now PSN would not exist in the form it is now.

Its just the way these things go.

Well...I tried to be reasonable. Here, I'll try once more.
Listen: forget the Gamecube. The PS2 was NOT a failure, it was the biggest success so far in the industry. So the game types it (and the Cube, btw) had are not going anywhere.

The Wii's stated goal is to expand the market, not replace it with a new one. Nintendo itself continues to make traditional games, in addition to new ones. So will the entire industry. Hardcore games are still selling, and selling well. So relax.

Threi

notag
AniHawk said:
I'd just like to take the time to point out that Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, outsold Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, when Castlevania is on a system that apparently heavily favors Nintendo games, and MGSPO is on a particular brand where MGS sells the strongest.

Thank you for your contribution AniHawk.
Your ownage will be served to the internet shortly.

AniHawk said:
I'd just like to take the time to point out that Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, outsold Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, when Castlevania is on a system that apparently heavily favors Nintendo games, and MGSPO is on a particular brand where MGS sells the strongest.

what? isn't MGO close to a million? I was sure castlevania games still had weak sales

jjasper said:
not really we were specifically talking about the waggle sword in Zelda and how it didn't improve anything. A lot of people agree with this along with the waggle not adding anything to Super Paper Mario

Actually, I think SPM is a perfect example of how Wiimote controls can really improve a game even without changing it's setup. The Tippi pointing mechanic brought some much needed variety to the game that would've been sorely lacking if exploration solely consisted of pressing A to switch to 3D. Same goes for combat, I found jumping on enemies repeatedly to kill them got boring until I found out you could waggle the Wiimote to do a Stylish move, then I found myself having much more fun as I tried to rack up enough jumps to get a "Wonderful" score :D

Also the general controls of moving around and such were much better with the Wiimote thanks to it's awesome D-pad and simple button config.

Anyway back to NPD stuff...

Wow, we're truly seeing the end of an era now! The PS2 and GBA are finally saying goodbye, dropping off much quicker than I expected (And kicking next gen's arse in the process :D) and the Wii and DS have won (Though oddly enough the PSP seems to be making a bit of a come back) Now that PKMN D/P and GOW 2 are out, there's nothing to keep the PS2 and GBA alive anymore, they're finally going to leave us. It's kind of sad really, but both the GBA and PS2 have long out stayed their welcome and I'm glad to see them finally take their leave.

Eteric Rice

Cosmozone said:
Third parties don't do well on Nintendo consoles, people think. But I'd rather say most of the user base for those third-party games just didn't buy a Nintendo because it was "kiddy". Wii had a similar problem right from the start, but it has a great chance to break that spell. Traditional gamers have a hard time to warm up to the new controller, but it's appeal turned out higher than even Nintendo expected, also with those gamers.

I think it's already breaking away from it. But the Wii needs some stronger titles to break that reputation for good. Metroid, Disaster, and Dragon Quest Swords (in Japan, anyway) should break that. DQS should bring an RPG fanbase to the Wii.

underfooter said:
There is a point where quality means sales, and when a third party wii game gets rave 9.0+ reviews, I think the NPD data will reflect that.

Nintendo titles havent need to be 9.0+ why should 3rd parties. Other than Zelda the number of titles 9.0+ is well Zero. And the 2nd most popular title on the Wii is WiiPlay and it isnt even 6.0+.

Eteric Rice

KeithFranklin said:
Nintendo titles havent need to be 9.0+ why should 3rd parties. Other than Zelda the number of titles 9.0+ is well Zero. And the 2nd most popular title on the Wii is WiiPlay and it isnt even 6.0+.

What?

Neomoto

Wow. Nintendo is steamrolling everything combined, worldwide, every ****ing month. I mean, seriously, they have 68,2 percent of every system sold. Two thirds people, of everything combined. And this is just US. If third party's don't get the picture now I just don't know what to say.

PS3 numbers are pathetic, they are probably even losing when you combine Japan's, US's and Europe's numbers and compare them to X360's even though it is only selling well in US and UK.

Pokemon sales are massive for only 14 days. Awesome is Super Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario is awesome. Now give us a ****ing PAL releasedate already, ****ers.

Nintendo PR said:
Already riding a streak as America's No. 1 seller of video game consoles, No. 1 seller of portable game systems and No. 1 publisher of video games, Nintendo added more chips to its pile in April-with not just one, but the country's four best-selling games.
:lol Their PR's are made of bits of pure win, especially when compared to others nowadays.
I just hope that with this gigantic succes "lately", the arogance stays away.

OldJadedGamer said:
I am now 100% convinced after seeing these numbers that Sony planned the gamers day embargo to end the exact day these figures would be released to combat the bad news of the sales numbers.
I think just about anyone here thought that. But yeah, they sure go through great lengths to cover up their failures of epic proportion (and you know it'll work thanks to media who follow like sheeps in general). This PR isn't so bad though, maybe they know they can't win (but they still use some sneaky way's to get some points accross)

Geezer said:
This gen is going to be so shit. The 360 and PS3, both truly brilliant next-gen consoles got outsold trampled by a ****ing toy.
The fanboy tears are dilicious. They are all toys (high price & blu-ray player or not) so stop trying so hard. And I think Wii's performance worldwide "somewhat" prove that the Wii is actually (also) a truly brilliant next-gen console (yes I said next-gen, deal with it already).

I think putting out a third SKU (X360 Elite) is a terrible idea, people get confused when there are THREE different versions to buy so it's not very mass market friendly in that sense (and of course the price is far to high). Of course there are enough arguments to downplay this, but still three sku's.. also, when pricepoints come in the system might lose some of it's percieved value for customers and such. We'll see how it works out, next month should be interesting at the very least.

Also, Wii to next-gen and especially PS3 (just to post a gif :():

robo1.gif

:( We hardly knew ye.

Xeke

Banned
Vagabundo said:
What!?! Companies cant pay their shareholders with image.

They are aware that the PS3 is a console for the long run. Long after the Wii and 360 are obsolete they know that they will still have their future proof PS3. The sales right now aren't significant. The PS3 is for the long haul.

Cosmozone

Eteric Rice said:
I think it's already breaking away from it. But the Wii needs some stronger titles to break that reputation for good. Metroid, Disaster, and Dragon Quest Swords (in Japan, anyway) should break that. DQS should bring an RPG fanbase to the Wii.
Well, so-called hardcore gamers have this idea that the Wiimote makes only sense when it comes to do something 1:1 or at least mimicking real movements, or else they pull out the bothersome "tacked on" argument. So I suggest giving them just that could win them in the long run. DQS could be a crucial title to do this. The on-rails thing hurts it a little, though.

Top Bottom