• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Salmonax said:
It never glitched out on me in 50+ hours of Zelda, so that's got to count for something.

No problems with Wii Sports Tennis, Baseball or Bowling... (bowling is such a good party game btw) so it seems the problems are pointer/sensor bar related. Could there be a sensor bar upgrade to make it more reliable?

Kabuki Waq said:
its not that. i just like games are targeted towards Gamers and not your Granny who has never played a game in her life.

I am weird like that.

I usually don't play those games on my Wii.

I'm weird like that.

Xavien

greendublin said:
Sometimes sitting, sometimes standing, and as close as 3 ft. from the system the problems with signal have arisen... I guess I'm just expecting perfection -- I mean, there's no question when you press a button or move an analog stick your movement will be interpreted. I guess we'll always have a margin of error for input from motion control devices.

It's probably something simple, if you are truly 3ft away then i suggest going into the Wii Options and adjust the sensitivity of the pointer (as you seem to have no problems with the accelerometers), you clearly have it either too high or too low, check your manual on how to adjust the sensitivity correctly.

For the record, i never get jittery play, blinking cursors or anything on any games i play. I use rechargeable batteries (2600 mAH version). The wiimote is also very accurate, you could say its too accurate, because if you don't have decent hand-eye co-ordination you are gonna do badly on some games.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Kabuki Waq said:
you are absolutely making no sense. Less traditional games means less chance of Quality traditional games. I dont complete all the games i buy but that does not mean i dont enjoy them
how do you figure? if 20% of the games out now are great, does fewer games all of the sudden mean only 15% of the games will be great? talk about not making sense... :p

my point is, who cares if 50 AAA titles come out in a year or 44 AAA titles... and if you truly believe that traditional games will drop by anything greater than 5-10%, you truly over estimate how many resources it takes to put into these simpler small budget games.. especially in comparison to a multi-million dollar extravaganza...

so are you really going to bitch that you get 6 fewer AAA quality titles in a year vs the 44 you are already getting? Yeah it's an arbitrary number pulled from my ass, but it goes a long way towards making the point. If all the sudden you only saw 10 AAA quality titles I might sympathize.... but bitching just because some resources will go into making games for other people to enjoy seems quite selfish and extremely silly.

Uncooked

Banned
greendublin said:
What about next month predictions? Will 360 stop the downward slide? How low can PS3 go? Will Sigma or Lair bring PS3 back up to respectable numbers?

I thought it already was established that the 360 increased sales by 9%?

No6

Eteric Rice said:
Which carryover?
SPM
EA "gets it" with crusty PS2 hand me downs? Seriously now, I wouldn't take the diehard faithful's word for what mainstream perception brings... stuff like MySims and Boogie at least imply that EA's on the right track now, but if they had the foresight Ubi did, they'd have been launching with those.
Blur was a PS2 hand me down? EA also clearly put effort into porting Godfather, which is the same type of "foresight" that Ubi had with Red Steel.
Fact is, the few 3rd parties to really bring anything stand out or notable to Wii (pretty much just Ubisoft & SEGA so far) have been rewarded for it. Even still firms like EA, Bandai or Activision have down well enough with port across products like Madden, DBZ or COD. Besides which, what does the message 3rd parties are getting from the PS3 software results bring when even the high profile marquee exclusives are tanking left and right? At this point, PS3 is shockingly 1st party dominated sales wise as well actually...
No, the only 3rd party games that have sold well were launch titles. I don't think a single non-launch 3rd party Wii game has sold more than 150k in a given month. I'm not even sure if any post-launch 3rd party game has sold more than 200k LTD, but I need to check Sonic's #s.

And yeah, the PS3 situation sucks too. Fortunately for those games, they can be ported to the one console that does have good-to-decent 3rd party numbers (360). Which is why VF5 should eventually make its money back (it's also an arcade game), while Blur will probably be a total loss unless it gets ported to the PS2.

mentalfloss said:
200px-Bill_Hicks_image.jpg

Bill Hicks is an underappreciated genius. That needed to be said.

greendublin said:
No problems with Wii Sports Tennis, Baseball or Bowling... (bowling is such a good party game btw) so it seems the problems are pointer/sensor bar related. Could there be a sensor bar upgrade to make it more reliable?

I told you already that you were too close, read my post on the previous page.

jjasper

No6 said:
And yeah, the PS3 situation sucks too. Fortunately for those games, they can be ported to the one console that does have good-to-decent 3rd party numbers (360). Which is why VF5 should eventually make its money back (it's also an arcade game), while Blur will probably be a total loss unless it gets ported to the PS2.

I don't see why people believe VF5 is going to sell well on 360, it just isn't a mainstream franchise.

andthebeatgoeson

Who keeps posting in this thread? You would have thought every Gaffer would have posted already. Shit. I can't read all of this. I tried to plow through 10 big-boy pages, speed reading, stopping for gifs/regulars/smart posters but damn, it's growing too fast. 2 hours ago, it was 300 posts smaller. Oops, I guess I'm the problem.

Price drop now or lose the entire gen. This is the critical year. People won't even remember how it was just Wii sports. We'll only remember how MS stood still and got trampled and how the PS3 was still born. I predict great articles about this year in about 3-5 years. 'Broken hearts, broken promises, broken dreams. And how Wii all came together to play games.' See, that's a title right there.

No6

jjasper said:
I don't see why people believe VF5 is going to sell well on 360, it just isn't a mainstream franchise.
I actually don't think it'll do too well, maybe another 50-100k tops unless it comes in at a "budget" price. I agree that the franchise pretty arcane.

Also, from Feb #s posted here and at IGN:
VF5 = 53k
Blur = 18k

March's #s are harder to do, but VF5 was the #7 PS3 game that month, with F1 at #9 with 22k sold, while Blur was #8, above TMNT at #9 with 29k sold.

So no, VF5 probably outsold Blur.

jarrod

Banned
No6 said:
Blur was a PS2 hand me down? EA also clearly put effort into porting Godfather, which is the same type of "foresight" that Ubi had with Red Steel.
The "foresight" Ubi had was doing ground up original games in time for launch. EA pretty clearly missed that boat, and haven't brought anything comparable yet... even Blur, which was an Xbox carryover evidently. :lol

No6 said:
No, the only 3rd party games that have sold well were launch titles. I don't think a single non-launch 3rd party Wii game has sold more than 150k in a given month. I'm not even sure if any post-launch 3rd party game has sold more than 200k LTD, but I need to check Sonic's #s.
Well, that's likely due in part to the only really compelling content coming at launch (Red Steel, Trauma Center, Monkey Ball, Rayman, etc). The only real contender since (Sonic) has done pretty well though, especially going by the franchise's performance on PSP/PS3/360. Outside Secret Rings though, what compelling 3rd party games have wee seen?

No6 said:
Er... all EA's Wii games reuse PS2 assets and Blur's a copy/paste effort chiefly (think RR PSP) that was originally planned for Xbox... it's not like we've seen EA sinking huge sums into R&D for original efforts that tanked already. I'm not sure what you're even arguing here though? Again though, what compelling 3rd party content was even "crushed by a last-gen carryover and an accessory" in March/April? EA's "last gen carry-overs"? Boo-hoo!

birdchili

it's not all about installed base.

there's going to be a period of publisher learning during which there will be both brave experiments and narrow-minded-assumptions about what will sell on what system. publishers don't care so much if one system has a massive installed base - you just want to be able to make the most money. it's already been proven that you can already make a tidy sum on the 360 with a quality shooter - the current installed base is already big enough for this. wii is surely going to see a billion mime-the-sport games in an attempt to replicate wii sports.

this gen is just starting up - big releases in various genres are going to pull people to certain hardware, and subsequent releases in those genres will have better odds on those platforms. of course, at a certain point the market for a genre on a given is going to be somewhat saturated, and some clever publisher clever will release something on an unexpected hardware platform (with little competition) and do quite well for themselves.

greendublin said:
What about next month predictions? Will 360 stop the downward slide? How low can PS3 go? Will Sigma or Lair bring PS3 back up to respectable numbers?

Think we already know the 360 will do better. Sonycowboy created another thread that had the Elite selling 67K consoles and it was supply constrained. People only purchased 107K other 360's during the month. Meant people waited for the Elite. If you can find Elites in May then the numbers will improve.

No6

jarrod said:
The "foresight" Ubi had was doing ground up original games in time for launch. EA pretty clearly missed that boat, and haven't brought anything comparable yet... even Blur, which was an Xbox carryover evidently. :lol
In what way was Blur a carryover? If you're trying to deflect my criticism of SPM, you're failing. SPM was a GC game that vanished and then suddenly reappeared on the Wii with Wii controls bolted on. Blur was frequently declared (in the Blur thread, not by me) as the best snowboarding game in a long time.

Well, that's likely due in part to the only really compelling content coming at launch. The only real contender (Sonic) has done pretty well, especially going by the franchise's performance on PSP/PS3/360. Outside Secret Rings though, what compelling 3rd party games have wee seen?
Going through the numbers I think Sonic has maybe, if it did decent numbers in April, crossed 200k. On the console that N-fans claim is where Sega games sell best. And being the first non-garbage (although still not good) Sonic game in years.

Er... all EA's Wii games reuse PS2 assets and Blur's a copy/paste effort chiefly (think RR PSP)... it's not we've seen them sinking huge sums into R&D for original efforts that tanked. I'm not sure what you're even arguing here though? Again though, what compelling 3rd party content was even "crushed by a last-gen carryover and an accessory" in April?
I love how Blur is no longer a real effort from EA now that it failed. And Tiger, for all its flaws, was both heavily marketed and is a very popular series, and still did poorly. Don't worry, I'm not going to play list wars because I'm sure you'll find ways to describe every 3rd party game as "non-compelling" (like the marble game or Cooking Mama). But I certainly also wouldn't claim that the Wii is in any way 3rd party friendly.

Eteric Rice

No6 said:
In what way was Blur a carryover? If you're trying to deflect my criticism of SPM, you're failing. SPM was a GC game that vanished and then suddenly reappeared on the Wii with Wii controls bolted on. Blur was frequently declared (in the Blur thread, not by me) as the best snowboarding game in a long time.

Going through the numbers I think Sonic has maybe, if it did decent numbers in April, crossed 200k. On the console that N-fans claim is where Sega games sell best. And being the first non-garbage (although still not good) Sonic game in years.

I love how Blur is no longer a real effort from EA now that it failed. And Tiger, for all its flaws, was both heavily marketed and is a very popular series, and still did poorly. Don't worry, I'm not going to play list wars because I'm sure you'll find ways to describe every 3rd party game as "non-compelling" (like the marble game or Cooking Mama). But I certainly also wouldn't claim that the Wii is in any way 3rd party friendly.

We don't really know if it's even a failure. Even if it sold around 90k, it really depends on how much they spent making it.

Besides, it's not like third parties never failed on the PS2. The games that were great sold well, the games that weren't didn't.

No6

Eteric Rice said:
We don't really know if it's even a failure. Even if it sold around 90k, it really depends on how much they spent making it.
90k would be extremely optimistic and the costs are most likely higher due to new hardware, unless all EA did was get the GC port team to make Wii games from scratch. And even then, it's clear that EA spent some money on getting the controls to be half-decent.
Besides, it's not like third parties never failed on the PS2. The games that were great sold well, the games that weren't didn't.
So you're saying that Blur is a bad game? Is this the new N-spin? If a game sells poorly, well then it must have been bad!

Eteric Rice

No6 said:
90k would be extremely optimistic and the costs are most likely higher due to new hardware, unless all EA did was get the GC port team to make Wii games from scratch. And even then, it's clear that EA spent some money on getting the controls to be half-decent.

So you're saying that Blur is a bad game? Is this the new N-spin? If a game sells poorly, well then it must have been bad!

No, I've never played it, so I can't say. I can say that it wasn't advertised, and got a lot of mixed reviews.

jjasper

No6 said:

Well it had a flawed uber trick detection which hurt the game and made it harder to control than the others

Threi

notag
Dunno if this was posted but here is top 20 software:

1. Super Paper Mario (Wii) Nintendo
2. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) Nintendo
3. Guitar Hero 2 w/ Guitar (Xbox 360) Red Ocatane/Activision
4. Guitar Hero 2 w/ guitar (PS2) Red Octane/Activision
5. Spider-Man 3 (Xbox 360) Activision
6. Spider-Man 3 (PS2) Activision
7. God of War II (PS2) Sony
8. MLB '07: The Show (PS2) Sony
9. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) Nintendo
10. Major League Baseball 2K7 (Xbox 360) 2K Games
11. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (Xbox 360) Ubisoft
12. God of War (PS2) Sony
13. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Wii) Electronic Arts
14. Gears of War (Xbox 360) Epic
15. F.E.A.R. (PS3) Vivendi
16. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PS2) Rockstar
17. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft
18. Major League Baseball 2K7 (PS2) 2K Games
19. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Wii) Nintendo
20. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360) Ubisoft

http://wii.ign.com/articles/789/789854p1.html

What do third parties consider a success anyways? It seems like we, the GAF, have unrealistic expectations of some games. Someone noted that not a single third party wii game has sold over 150k in a given month. Well....how many games sell over 150k in a month anyways?

So what if Tiger Woods didn't sell amazingly well on wii. It is only what...the 30th or so version of it? If the game pushes 100 to 200k when in finally peters out, EA can sit happy on that. Same for Sonic, which will probably hit 200-300k when all is said and done. Not to mention the dev times and costs are significantly less than on 360 and PS3.

I don't think this trend is going to change until about mid 2008 either. Third parties aren't developing AAA software on wii. In 2008, when Rygar, Final Fantasy, Soul Calibur Legends, and Spieldberg game hit that might change, but in the meantime expect games like Manhunt 2, Nights into Dreams, Umbrella Corps, RE4, and even sadly Dewey's Adventure (I hope it does well in Japan) to sit in the 'mildly' successful range while games like Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros., sell millions.

jarrod

Banned
No6 said:
Blur was concieved as an Xbox product, just like SPM being a GC product. Exact same situation, both designs got retrofitted for waggle.

No6 said:
Right... so what again is the problem? It's still sold decently, better than any other new gen Sonic released in the past 6 months, and you even admit it's not even a good game. :lol

So why is Secret Rings selling okay while VF5 tanks? Why wasn't there this sort of disparity in 2002 when SA2Battle and VF4 released?

No6 said:
By the same token, in what way is it "3rd party unfriendly" then? In being low risk? In having 3rd party games that can actually move over 500k units worldwide? In driving userbase faster than any console since PS2? Where exactly is this percieved cause for concern that's sure to drive away developer investment en masse?

jjasper said:
Well it had a flawed uber trick detection which hurt the game and made it harder to control than the others

There was nothing flawed about it, it was just hard. If you can grasp the controls however, it is the most rewarding snowboarding experience ever. It's just DIFFERENT, and some older gamers will want to stick with their typical snowboard control layouts with online play and upped graphics. It is no different than the way our parents hesitate to adapt technology.

I'll agree the SSX schematic could use work, but the game was great. Recognize.

EDIT:

17. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft

....the game can't be tanking that bad. Also, I'm quite happy my fellow wii owners didn't fall for that Spider-Man 3 crap. There is a point where quality means sales, and when a third party wii game gets rave 9.0+ reviews, I think the NPD data will reflect that.

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:

17. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft

PS2 = 8
360 = 6
Nintendo = 5
PS3 = 1

I wonder how next month will look like and which games will have legs.

laserbeam

Banned
underfooter said:
What do third parties consider a success anyways? It seems like we, the GAF, have unrealistic expectations of some games. Someone noted that not a single third party wii game has sold over 150k in a given month. Well....how many games sell over 150k in a month anyways?

So what if Tiger Woods didn't sell amazingly well on wii. It is only what...the 30th or so version of it? If the game pushes 100 to 200k when in finally peters out, EA can sit happy on that. Same for Sonic, which will probably hit 200-300k when all is said and done. Not to mention the dev times and costs are significantly less than on 360 and PS3.

I don't think this trend is going to change until about mid 2008 either. Third parties aren't developing AAA software on wii. In 2008, when Rygar, Final Fantasy, Soul Calibur Legends, and Spieldberg game hit that might change, but in the meantime expect games like Manhunt 2, Nights into Dreams, Umbrella Corps, RE4, and even sadly Dewey's Adventure (I hope it does well in Japan) to sit in the 'mildly' successful range while games like Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros., sell millions.

based on tracking Tiger Woods Wii should have broke 200,000 Units in the US already and its been extremely popular in the UK. Considering How late it came out and the fact Tiger Wood Golf 08 is out in 3 months Id say its done phenomenal. Its probably gonna push 350,000-400,000 units before its done.

jarrod said:
Off the top of my head, Monkey Ball BB, Metal Slug Anthology, Red Steel, Rayman RR, Trauma Center and Sonic SR. :lol

I don't get it. Are you joking. Red Steel and Rayman sold nearly a million each. Is Metal Slug and Trauma Center actually successful. Are you being sarcastic, funny, ironic?

laserbeam said:
based on tracking Tiger Woods Wii should have broke 200,000 Units in the US already and its been extremely popular in the UK. Considering How late it came out and the fact Tiger Wood Golf 08 is out in 3 months Id say its done phenomenal. Its probably gonna push 350,000-400,000 units before its done.

.....so wait, what is all of this third party argueing about?

laserbeam

Banned
underfooter said:
I don't get it. Are you joking. Red Steel and Rayman sold nearly a million each. Is Metal Slug and Trauma Center actually successful. Are you being sarcastic, funny, ironic?

.....so wait, what is all of this third party argueing about?

People still have this notion 3rd party cant sell on Nintendo even though The games have done pretty well for themselves. Some deserve higher sales sure but compared to the PS3 3rd party is laughing all the way to the bank on the Wii

Xeke

Banned
Aeris130 said:
At the very least, Lair will be some sort of indication as to wether or not VF5 was the exeption or the rule.

Why? If I didn't go to gaming forums I would have no clue what the hell Lair is. Virtua Fighter 5 is a sequel that everyone knew was coming and it still bombed out. I'm not saying that new franchises can't save a system(Halo), but I don't think it is wise to pin your hopes on it because I don't expect it to do much better than Resistance.

rage1973

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:

17. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft

That looks like top 20 for non handheld/home console list.
Wow even on that list there is barely one PS3 game at number 15. PS3 is a bomb all the way around this month.

jjasper

underfooter said:
There was nothing flawed about it, it was just hard. If you can grasp the controls however, it is the most rewarding snowboarding experience ever. It's just DIFFERENT, and some older gamers will want to stick with their typical snowboard control layouts with online play and upped graphics. It is no different than the way our parents hesitate to adapt technology.

I'll agree the SSX schematic could use work, but the game was great. Recognize.

Isn't that why we have the wiimote though so that controls aren't "hard" anymore? I thought the game looked great and thought all the other controls were fine it was just the uber tricks. My bother and I actually played it quite a bit after accepting the fact that we would never be able to pull the tricks off consistantly and had fun with it, SSX has always been about big crazy tricks though so after some time I had to move on.

Xeke said:
Why? If I didn't go to gaming forums I would have no clue what the hell Lair is. Virtua Fighter 5 is a sequel that everyone knew was coming and it still bombed out. I'm not saying that new franchises can't save a system(Halo), but I don't think it is wise to pin your hopes on it because I don't expect it to do much better than Resistance.

What's wrong with 1million +?

And once again Vitrua Fighter is not as big as some of you people make it out to be.

laserbeam said:

Gamespot says 53,000 for Tiger Woods - that's bad.

Also - "In April, roughly 63 percent of all Wii games and 79 percent of all DS games sold were made in-house at Nintendo."

That's not going to get 3rd party all riled up, that's for sure.

jjasper said:
Isn't that why we have the wiimote though so that controls aren't "hard" anymore? I thought the game looked great and thought all the other controls were fine it was just the uber tricks. My bother and I actually played it quite a bit after accepting the fact that we would never be able to pull the tricks off consistantly and had fun with it, SSX has always been about big crazy tricks though so after some time I had to move on.

Although the wii is clearly catering to a 'simpler' crowd, I wouldn't overule it's ability to make games more complex (in a good way). The same way the N64 controller added depths to games that the SNES pad couldn't, and the GCN pad upon that. SSX offers a lot of control range.

btw, I hated the ubers for a while too, but if you practice (especially in the pipe) there will come a beautiful time when you nail them, and I mean NAIL them. I got three ubers in one trick once, it was glorious....GLORIOUS!

Xeke

Banned
jjasper said:

What's wrong with 1million +?

And once again Vitrua Fighter is not as big as some of you people make it out to be.

Nothing is wrong with a million. But that wont save the system. Not to mention that Resistance had the launch on its side. It's so brown.

borghe

teruterubozu said:
Gamespot says 53,000 for Tiger Woods - that's bad.
Umm.. tiger woods came out in March. 53K is second month sales.

the DS numbers are HEAVILY biased thanks to 1.8M copies of pokemon going out the door. there is/was still plenty of money to be made on the DS.. I mean it WAS pokemon after all. likewise, the number one selling console game in the month was a Mario platformer on Wii.... again, this will heavily skew numbers on that system especially at 350K and with few new releases (and 0 ****ing quality releases) on the system during the month.

you'll see similar type percentages from first parties on the XBox come September. This type of reporting is nothing more than flagrantly sensationalistic.

borghe said:
Umm.. tiger woods came out in March. 53K is second month sales.

the DS numbers are HEAVILY biased thanks to 1.8M copies of pokemon going out the door. there is/was still plenty of money to be made on the DS.. I mean it WAS pokemon after all. likewise, the number one selling console game in the month was a Mario platformer on Wii.... again, this will heavily skew numbers on that system especially at 350K and with few new releases (and 0 ****ing quality releases) on the system during the month.

Seems like history repeating itself then. How is THIS TIME any different from before.

jjasper

Xeke said:
Nothing is wrong with a million. But that wont save the system. Not to mention that Resistance had the launch on its side. It's so brown.

Resistance had a lot going for it. It was a great game, nothing else a launch, it was a genre that everyone is familar with and is now very mainstream, it had great online, etc.

Anyways the point is, I don't see LAIR doing as well as Resistance.
underfooter said:
Although the wii is clearly catering to a 'simpler' crowd, I wouldn't overule it's ability to make games more complex (in a good way). The same way the N64 controller added depths to games that the SNES pad couldn't, and the GCN pad upon that. SSX offers a lot of control range.

btw, I hated the ubers for a while too, but if you practice (especially in the pipe) there will come a beautiful time when you nail them, and I mean NAIL them. I got three ubers in one trick once, it was glorious....GLORIOUS!

SSX wasn't complex in a good way, it was a design flaw. The actual motions and and idea are very simple in concept EA just botched the detection system.

Deku

Banned
teruterubozu said:
Seems like history repeating itself then. How is THIS TIME any different from before.
PS3.

Oh and the report is highly skewed as there were no major 3rd party releases in the past month. If SPM's release only pushed up Nintendo software share of the Wii market up 10 points from its average it's a good thing for 3rd parties.

Tiger Woods btw is closing in on 200k sold LTD.

Xeke

Banned
jjasper said:
Resistance had a lot going for it. It was a great game, nothing else a launch, it was a genre that everyone is familar with and is now very mainstream, it had great online, etc.

Anyways the point is, I don't see LAIR doing as well as Resistance.

Well than strangely enough we have the same opinion.

Oblivion said:
Woo! Nice to see Zelda hanging in there.

And why are people still arguing about things?

I think internet discussion is based on arguments. I seriously would have half the post count if it wasn't for healthy, fun-loving, gamer arguments. Bring on the argueing!

borghe

teruterubozu said:
if by history repeating itself you mean no noteworthy third party releases except for shit, then I agree.. If you mean Nintendo swallowing up all dollars and leaving third parties with leftovers, let's have this conversation next month with RE4, or in July with Alien Syndrome. And who knows... maybe a couple of movie tie-ins will actually be good this year.

"History" has already shown us that Wii supports 500K-1M third party sellers just fine. Trauma Center, Rayman, Monkey Ball, Red Steel, etc. It's up to the developers and publishers to get quality content out there.

Top Bottom