• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2015 [Up1: Xbox One #1]

On Demand

Banned
Good for MS. Boo at the lack of Bloodborne.

Bloodborne not even in the top 10, and Dark Souls 2 only at 8? From Software is done.

I'm joking

The combined SKU format is useless-

“If the top 10 software list was ranked on a SKU basis rather than a title basis, PS4’s Bloodborne, 3DS’s Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and Wii U’s Mario Party 10 would make the list.”

Gatzor

Banned
Great news for a great system

honestly I'm not sure how it is a great system.....hell outside of bloodborne I'm not even sure how ps4 is a great system right now. I didn't think infamous, killzone or little big planet had their best showings on ps4, and those weren't really my favorite series anyways. As for Microsoft, I thought both titanfall and sunset overdrive had weak showings

third parties and indies comin in hard, and I know Microsoft has halo 5 in the pipeline, but hoping for some first party surprises.

Looking forward to this E3, I'm excited for this gen but the start of it hasn't gripped me yet (outside of some wii u titles). I'm sure it will soon

TomShoe

Banned
So for the holidays Sony has confirmed marketing for

Battlefront
Assassins Creed
MGSV
Mad Max

and then they're rumored to also have Black Ops 3?

I mean isn't that all the major 3rd party series for the season?

They'll probably also have a price drop of at least $50 by then.

Then if they reveal a big exclusive at E3 for the fall?

I think people might be underestimating them for the fall because of the "no games" talk.

I remember some YouTuber said Activision and Microsoft were in negotiations.

Man disappointing to me that Bloodborne isn't top 10. It's such a good game.

I'm surprised Xbox won the month but congrats to MS and I think it's a good thing to keep the pressure on Sony. Time for a $350 PS4 and a $300 Xbox imo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Trust me, you will feel better about your teens if you can look back and say, "I refused to be invested in the fiscal success of a company beyond the fun I had with its products."

I sadly think a lot of 'invested' people are far beyond their teens.

I saw a couple of Halo 5 ads in the UK at the cinema before Age of Ultron... Not sure if US had same thing but that might of pushed a few extra sales.

Welfare

23 pages in is there any consensus on what put the Xbox over the top?

I'm happy to see some competition but I can't figure the cause.

Deals deals deals

11082657_979897658688729_8246494703733826584_n.jpg

11014832_991121760899652_9172710753542861855_n.jpg

Vyrance

Unexpected win for the Xbone! Really surprised by that. Maybe if this happens some more Sony will drop the price of the system a bit ;)

Sorry, down YoY for the month for both Wii U & 3DS

March reports
3DS - up 80% YoY in 1st 3 months
Wii U - up 20% YoY in 1st 3 months

After April
3DS - up 65% YoY in 1st 4 months
Wii U - up 15% YoY in 1st 4 months

would lol if we got "Wii U is up 10% YoY cumulatively" for May NPD PR :p

Krakn3Dfx

Halo 5, Tomb Raider, Forza 6 and Gears remaster isn't exactly a weak lineup. Along with every third party game.

Except for Persona 5, Godzilla, Dragon Quest Heroes, NMS, Grim Fandango, Hotline Miami 2, and almost all JRPGs being brought to the states, yeah, you're right.

Is rooting for a console/company really that different from rooting for a sports team in the grand scheme of things though? I never understood either but I can't really see much difference between the two. Its not like you get anything in return for rooting for a team/company in either case.

It was never going to be like a huge win, 13k sounds right to me, a small win but one never the less, I don't see how it can be spun negatively

orochi91

Is rooting for a console/company really that different from rooting for a sports team in the grand scheme of things though? I never understood either but I can't really see much difference between the two. Its not like you get anything in return for rooting for a team/company in either case.

Same.

I'm not sure why rooting for a console merits derision, as opposed to rooting for a sports team.

It's amazing how much brand loyalty Microsoft has built in this country in the 360 years. Where everywhere else is an assured dominion of PS4 over Xbox One, here the underdog can still hang with the top dog.

RexNovis

Banned
23 pages in is there any consensus on what put the Xbox over the top?

I'm happy to see some competition but I can't figure the cause.

SO far the prevailing thoughts are that it was a combination of a weekly GameStop promotion offering $125 off an XB1 with trade in of a PS3 or 360 along with the initial sales boost that accompanied the MCC bundle's release. Those are really the only two sales drivers that occurred for XB1 in April outside of some retailer specific ACU bundles as far as anyone seems to know. Please do correct me if I am mistaken though.

Edit: Apparently there was also a BestBuy trade in discount

Papacheeks

Banned
Except for Persona 5, Godzilla, Dragon Quest Heroes, NMS, Grim Fandango, Hotline Miami 2, and almost all JRPGs being brought to the states, yeah, you're right.

Duxxy3 also forgetting the Marketing deals Sony has with all the big tripple A games this year:

Batman Bundle

Battlefront Bundle

Metal Gear Solid V

Mad Max

Assassins Creed

That's alot of marketing for Third party games. On top of what they might announce at E3 for a special Uncharted HD Trilogy bundle.

Vena

Sorry, down YoY for the month for both Wii U & 3DS

March reports
3DS - up 80% YoY in 1st 3 months
Wii U - up 20% YoY in 1st 3 months

After April
3DS - up 65% YoY in 1st 4 months
Wii U - up 15% YoY in 1st 4 months

How much is it down YoY on the month? I doubt its more than anything outside of statistical noise unless it did really well (for WiiU) last year. That said, the system is in a weird place now despite its stronger library, so it slowly slipping isn't surprising and when the MK8 month rolls around, it will really plummet.

The 3DS is more interesting to track right now because its interesting to see how well or not the N3DS will keep the baseline up, and as of so far its seemingly do its job as intended.

orochi91

It's amazing how much brand loyalty Microsoft has built in this country in the 360 years. Where everywhere else is an assured dominion of PS4 over Xbox One, here the underdog can still hang with the top dog.

Not really.

If brand loyalty was a thing in NA, then the PS4 would be getting stomped by the XB1, akin to last gen.

Customers are fickle here in NA, or at least the USA.

DarkPhoenix

Neo Member
I was so surprised when I saw Major Nelson tweeting this, wasn't expecting it.

Nice to see X1 at #1 in a non-holiday month, let's see the next one and June.

allan-bh

Xbox 360 sold way more than PS3 in US, so I assume a good amount of people see Xbox One as a natural choice.

Welfare

How much is it down YoY on the month? I doubt its more than anything outside of statistical noise unless it did really well (for WiiU) last year. That said, the system is in a weird place now despite its stronger library, so it slowly slipping isn't surprising and when the MK8 month rolls around, it will really plummet.

The 3DS is more interesting to track right now because its interesting to see how well or not the N3DS will keep the baseline up, and as of so far its seemingly do its job as intended.

Wii U YoY drop is 10%

Wii U MoM drop is 49%

March: 85k / 5 weeks = 17,000

April: 43k / 4 weeks = 10,750

Papacheeks

Banned
I was so surprised when I saw Major Nelson tweeting this, wasn't expecting it.

Nice to see X1 at #1 in a non-holiday month, let's see the next one and June.

It won by 13k dude, not much of a win, and May they might have a chance since they are marketing The witcher 3 with XBox.

But Batman Bundles in June will kill it for sure.

Duxxy3 also forgetting the Marketing deals Sony has with all the big tripple A games this year:

Batman Bundle

Battlefront Bundle

Metal Gear Solid V

Mad Max

Assassins Creed

That's alot of marketing for Third party games. On top of what they might announce at E3 for a special Uncharted HD Trilogy bundle.

Has someone locked-up Rainbow 6 yet? I'd consider that bigger than Mad Max

Loakum

Banned
Congrats to Microsoft! This is good when neither console always dominate, because that leads to complacency. I rather both consoles go back and forth in leading sales, to strengthen the competition, which brings out the best in both companies. Now having said that, I predict the PS4 will mead in May console sales, mainly because of The Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Sports teams is a logical reapplication of regional clan mentality. Except in the case of history's greatest monsters, the Patriots.

orochi91

It won by 13k dude, not much of a win, and May they might have a chance since they are marketing The witcher 3 with XBox.

But Batman Bundles in June will kill it for sure.

There isn't much XB1 footage out there, as opposed to the PS4.

Even all the reviews were of the PS4 version.

I wouldn't be surprised if TW3 sold more on the PS4.

Top Bottom