• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s Focus Has Shifted From Game Sales to Actual Play Time, Sony Says

My engagement is massive and growing.
orchid-ki2-animation.gif

engage this

ProtoByte

Someone at Sony needs to ring a literal bell in the office and tell everybody that they cannot try what Xbox has tried and failed at. It started with PC ports, then comes to this shit.

They need to revert to console-ism. Plain and simple. If they need to spend a gen and a half learning that lesson, so be it.

Unfortunately, gamers don't help themselves in this.

Three

So I read the source material and I'm pretty sure that the article author is misunderstanding what was said. It's all based on this slide:

Screenshot-20240515-174930-Adobe-Acrobat.jpg

"Playtime has increased" means that unlike the previous generations now games from the PS4 gen sell and are played on next gen "beyond the generation". Whereas before on PS3 a game made for it did not profit much beyond that generation unless it was remade. Console cycles have changed in that the PS4 base still provided profits well into the PS5 gen. They're not saying that hours played are now more important than game sales.

Three

Honestly that article title is just completely fabricated nonsense.

I have no doubt PS has a GaaS drive and would love some Fortnite money but they have not said their focus has shifted from sales to play time. Not once in any way shape or form have they said this. It's a complete failure of understanding what was said. It points more to profitability of hardware rather than a change in software sales metric.

cireza

This is a load of horseshit.

All of these companies are soon going to learn when their revenues plummet due to turning their back on their core customers.
The issue here are companies seeking infinite growth. Because being happy of having a sustainable, stable business cannot satisfy shareholders who don't give a fuck about your company dying and simply want growth, and thus money.

So in the end, Sony ends up being in the same situation as others because they now realize that growth is not going to be infinite (no shit ?!). They try to leverage other means of making money, but this won't stop the inevitable. MS are facing this first (because their Xbox business isn't as good Sony's), but it is obvious that Sony have been following in their footsteps in recent years.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

It is NOT because of this case of SONY but it does show a trend unfortunately.

It's all the companies and publishers that are putting the focus and resources on big games and GASS. Whoever is not seeing this is blind. Sony isn't doing anything different.

After MS, SONY, SEGA, Square, TENCENT, Namco........ today so has UBISOFT in its annual report

refocusing on big games, mainly "Open World Adventures" and "Games-as-a-Service (GaaS)-native experiences".
15 Studios have been necessary for making AC Shadows and we can all see the Gass nature of the game

SNG32

This is why I’m glad I switched to PC I got more than enough emulators to go back to retro gaming. To get my gaming fix. This industry is cooked.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
More games as a service and single player games that needlessly follow the Ubisoft open world formula. Hooray!

Hudo

Someone at Sony needs to ring a literal bell in the office and tell everybody that they cannot try what Xbox has tried and failed at. It started with PC ports, then comes to this shit.

They need to revert to console-ism. Plain and simple. If they need to spend a gen and a half learning that lesson, so be it.

Unfortunately, gamers don't help themselves in this.
They're making good money with their PC ports, tho.

ProtoByte

They're making good money with their PC ports, tho.
Short term profit scrapings against long term problems.

Whatever money the PC ports are making, it's not substantially changing the financial outlook for them. The long term, training customers to understand that they don't need a PlayStation going into next gen, adding on the QA and optimisation load of more than one platform when their devs have thrived developing for 1 architecture and at most 2 specs, is poisonous.

Again: Anything Microsoft has done, do the opposite.

Hudo

Short term profit scrapings against long term problems.

Whatever money the PC ports are making, it's not substantially changing the financial outlook for them. The long term, training customers to understand that they don't need a PlayStation going into next gen, adding on the QA and optimisation load of more than one platform when their devs have thrived developing for 1 architecture and at most 2 specs, is poisonous.

Again: Anything Microsoft has done, do the opposite.
is it really that many people who actively chose to not buy a Playstation and instead play Playstation games on PC? I think that what Sony are doing is tapping into a new audience that were never going to buy a Playstation in the first place and getting these people into their ecosystem.

Bond007

Seems like a more balanced approach to be honest.
Game sales are incredibly important- and Sony sees that. While also understanding with certain genres etc- play time is important.
The difference is Xbox seems to use engagement is the main factor to hide other things such as- sales.

People really are willing to spend money on MTX instead of buying games.
Not even that. If I am not mistaken people playing those free games without buying MTX will be counted. They are starting to use MS tactics to hide low game sales. Unsurprisingly they got the same outcome as MS after copying their strategy.

There has to be a much lower ceiling here but I suppose it doesn't matter when DLCs and micro transactions are milked properly. As in, people I know really into games like this even only play two or three as their main games. The rest, they'll check for a week max and then drop like hot coals.

I don't know shit about sales and this market but I've always wondered that. I assume the people I know and their habits just aren't the average. I assume younger people spend way more and play more of these regularly.

ProtoByte

is it really that many people who actively chose to not buy a Playstation and instead play Playstation games on PC? I think that what Sony are doing is tapping into a new audience that were never going to buy a Playstation in the first place and getting these people into their ecosystem.
There's no way to tell for sure, but my feeling is that a good portion of the people who are buying on PC that are double dipping. It's not going to slash numbers down by 20 million, but a decrease of 2-3 million or more is unnecessary and counterproductive.

Hudo

There's no way to tell for sure, but my feeling is that a good portion of the people who are buying on PC that are double dipping. It's not going to slash numbers down by 20 million, but a decrease of 2-3 million or more is unnecessary and counterproductive.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see for a couple of gens how that strategy pans out.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
let’s see if Sony adds battle passes to their single player games like the new assassin’s creed. Modern AAA gaming from the big western publishers is terrible.

i%27m-good-barney-ross.gif

let’s see if Sony adds battle passes to their single player games like the new assassin’s creed. Modern AAA gaming from the big western publishers is terrible.

i%27m-good-barney-ross.gif
Thankfully I never cared that much for Western games or Sony 1st party. As an oldschool weeb, it's still a good time right now - but none of this makes a good precedent. Hopefully Japanese publishers remember their mistakes from the PS360 days and don't relapse now. Western gaming can crash, it's just a perversion now.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Thankfully I never cared that much for Western games or Sony 1st party. As an oldschool weeb, it's still a good time right now - but none of this makes a good precedent. Hopefully Japanese publishers remember their mistakes from the PS360 days and don't relapse now. Western gaming can crash, it's just a perversion now.

I’ve enjoyed Eiyuden Chronicles and Balatro more than anything from the big western publishers this generation.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I guess we will never get an actual update on sales for their games again then, apart from one off shouts like helldivers 2 selling 12 mill.

Three

Not even that. If I am not mistaken people playing those free games without buying MTX will be counted. They are starting to use MS tactics to hide low game sales. Unsurprisingly they got the same outcome as MS after copying their strategy.
I guess we will never get an actual update on sales for their games again then, apart from one off shouts like helldivers 2 selling 12 mill.
They're not hiding game sales. First party game sales are what's tracked officially.
Full game software sales were higher than the year prior. The source doesn't say what the article title is claiming :
GNhnsBAWoAAnF2e

Sounds like a shitty idea.

It's not really how long you play the game they care about, but mtx cash spent in these games. Perhaps those are correlated but to say it's expressly the "time in game" that they care about is imo disingenuous.

OuterLimits

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

The CRASH is coming and it’s coming HARD!

So a return of the 1980's and Nintendo saves the day for console gaming. Hmm, guess I could live with that. In a perfect timeline Sega will start making consoles again also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom