• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

Forgotten Ancient said:
It wouldn't have mattered if the N64 came out at all. We're truly in a market where the only thing that exists is the #1 and best-selling. There are no other factors. Nothing else matters. Fuck Mario Galaxy, it ain't got shit on WiiFit.
It's the differnce between a generation defining game and what sells well. Your example is terrible though because both SMG and WiiFit has the potential to both be generation definers, augmenting Wii Sports or become just as big.

titiklabingapat said:
It's the differnce between a generation defining game and what sells well. Your example is terrible though because both SMG and WiiFit has the potential to both be generation definers, augmenting Wii Sports or become just as big.

I was being sarcastic.

pvpness

Saint Gregory said:
That's the thing I don't understand. Madden '07 Wii was great and sold really well because of it. Madden '08 Wii is by all accounts a poor game, does badly and yet there's something wrong with that?

We have these arguments about Wii third party sales all the time, but whenever you ask someone to name a game that bombed on Wii that really deserved better you're usually greeted with silence...

That's cause the force that talks about shit Wii third party sales knows that any 3rd party title with at least passable effort generally does pretty well.

Hell, RE4: Wii is doing good for gods sake.

Blur is the only game I thought deserved better. Not that it had a hope in hell with a control scheme that actually had a learning curve and zero marketing what so ever.

Seriously? What a weird exclusion.

I actually didn't believe the complaint at first either thinking it would be more trouble to remove such a feature. It's like EA was looking for ways to short-change the mass market.

That's not the deal breaker for most though, like I said. The fact that if the system loses track of even one of the remotes during a game it immediately cancels the game and returns you to the main menu. Wtf...

pvpness said:
Blur is the only game I thought deserved better. Not that it had a hope in hell with a control scheme that actually had a learning curve and zero marketing what so ever.

I own and love Blur, but I never played SSX before and most of the people that actually knew it existed dismissed it as a waggle tacked-on port. The only ones I can ever think of is Blur and Godfather: Blackhand. You know what they had in common? Both were published by EA, both had zero marketing budgets and both were ports priced at $50 dollars retail.

Brilliant. :(

Brannon

Mariah Carey said:
Wow at how long this argument has gone! Look, Nintendo's spent the last ten years getting by without third parties, and at this point have come up with a winning strategy without them. If third parties can't figure out how to sell on Wii, that's their problem, not Nintendo's.

That's basically it, really. Nintendo has this amazing thing going on, and it would be nice if third parties would just bite the fucking bullet and actually put more effort in their Wii projects so that they, too, can reap the rewards. Of course they can always waste their time and release tripe like Madden '08 and Carnival Games. Then cry about how they're not making bling.

legend166

Don't forgot that Madden 08 Wii has bugs galore. My brother bought the game after loving 07, and took it back two days later in disgust.

I mean, I think that the franchise mode is broken. He tried simulating a preseason, twice, and it didn't work either time. Didn't save it or anything.

felipeko

Seems like EA just don't ge it.

Or maybe i just don't get it.

I can see they pushing X360 with Madden, because that would help them with their other games, that had big investments.

But why the hell wouldn't they try to reach a broader auddience?
I mean, at least TRY.

Brannon said:
That's basically it, really. Nintendo has this amazing thing going on, and it would be nice if third parties would just bite the fucking bullet and actually put more effort in their Wii projects so that they, too, can reap the rewards. Of course they can always waste their time and release tripe like Madden '08 and Carnival Games. Then cry about how they're not making bling.

didn't you heard it? we gamers know nothing about games. our market analysts, which never spent more than 10 minutes playing a game for real are conducting advanced researches to find out what the wii-consumer wants. we're just trying to get to that market with games like...

just look at the new releases thread, look up for the wii and see it for yourself

Brannon said:

Uh Carnival Games is doing pretty well. Surprisingly.

felipeko said:

I can see they pushing X360 with Madden, because that would help them with their other games, that had big investments.

I mean, at least TRY.

Boogie was a good idea . . . but poorly executed. And now there is MySims.

You can't say they are not trying.

pvpness said:
I actually didn't believe the complaint at first either thinking it would be more trouble to remove such a feature. It's like EA was looking for ways to short-change the mass market.

Call it conspiracy theory if you want but there is probably more truth into this than meets the eye.

EA has the most to lose if Nintendo continues with their runaway success, and it's in their best interest to partner up with Microsoft to make sure Nintendo has a formidable challenger in the biggest market in the world. Nintendo is still a software publisher after all.

felipeko said:

I mean, at least TRY.

maybe thats an overrated outlook...and its a better game on X360, and projections were always set for the Xbox version to push the most across retail stripes

maybe

speculawyer said:
Boogie was a good idea . . . but poorly executed. And now there is MySims.

You can't say they are not trying.
Speaking of MySims and Carnival Games, MySims is already on the top 15 Amazon best sellers. Heavenly Sword never entered the thing until release day.

But then again, Carnival Games never charted in the NPD top 20 for August, but it never started to gain steam until after September 1st, when the reporitng period ended.

pvpness said:
That's cause the force that talks about shit Wii third party sales knows that any 3rd party title with at least passable effort generally does pretty well.

Hell, RE4: Wii is doing good for gods sake.

That's not the deal breaker for most though, like I said. The fact that if the system loses track of even one of the remotes during a game it immediately cancels the game and returns you to the main menu. Wtf...

What? I've never seen this. My controller can run out of batteries during a game of Madden, and it just waits for me to get batteries back in it, then the game continues.

I've never seen what you're talking about.

Deku

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Call it conspiracy theory if you want but there is probably more truth into this than meets the eye.

EA has the most to lose if Nintendo continues with their runaway success, and it's in their best interest to partner up with Microsoft to make sure Nintendo has a formidable challenger in the biggest market in the world. Nintendo is still a software publisher after all.

The problem with that line of thought is that outside of a handful of titles they are publishing from studios they will ruin/buy out/shut down in a few years time, they've always relied on the Madden and other sports titles to sell their wares.

The only real bright spot is Maxis, and I'm always worried that if the next 'big' will wright game bombs, its going to be shut down too.

There's no conspiracy to speak of, EA is just pure mediocrity with a good business plan, rich franchise branding and a lot of money to buy exclusivity and shut down competition.

AniHawk

Deku said:
The problem with that line of thought is that outside of a handful of titles they are publishing from studios they will ruin/buy out/shut down in a few years time, they've always relied on the Madden and other sports titles to sell their wares.

The only real bright spot is Maxis, and I'm always worried that if the next 'big' will wright game bombs, its going to be shut down too.

There's no conspiracy to speak of, EA is just pure mediocrity with a good business plan, rich franchise branding and a lot of money to buy exclusivity and shut down competition.

Well Will Wright and the Maxis crew have enough clout in the industry that they don't really need to stay at EA anyhow.

BigDug13

Well at least they're still making Gamecube versions of Madden so that Wii owners can enjoy vanilla Madden controls until EA can pull their heads out of their asses.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Saint Gregory said:
First, the industry is experiencing record setting summer console sales yet Madden somehow managed to sell less copies this year than last with an extra week on the market which would mean that some gamers chose to skip out on it altogether rather than upgrade or buy it for the PS2.

Could the market actually be starting to turn AWAY from EA's yearly updates?

GAMING IS SAVED!

pswii60

Saint Gregory said:
When I look at the Madden sales for this month I see two things. First, the industry is experiencing record setting summer console sales yet Madden somehow managed to sell less copies this year than last with an extra week on the market which would mean that some gamers chose to skip out on it altogether rather than upgrade or buy it for the PS2.

A lot of people are likely upgrading to a next-gen console, whether it be PS3/360/Wii within the next few months before Christmas. As such, it would make sense for them to hold out on buying Madden for PS2 or Xbox and wait until next-gen arrives for them, hence the lower total sales.

pswii60

Does anyone know what last year's first NPD Madden 360 sales figures were? How do they compare with this year's PS3 Madden figures?

Not that it makes any difference to the current situation, but would be interesting all the same.

I have to agree with the Anti Madden Wii Sentiment. All EA had to do was take '07, make a few AI touches, add online and release it and it would have been fantastic. Instead they fucked it up royal and it shows.

jarrod

Banned
Farmboy said:
Let's see... Sonic Adventure 2: Battle did great (it was more of a 'launch window' title, but then so was Secret Rings), there was Monkey Ball, of course (it did much better than the Wii version -- of course, it was a much better game). And I seem to recall Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 doing well as an 'also ran', though I'm not sure if it hit anywhere near million.
Monkey Ball and Sonic have done close to the same on Wii as GC actually... SMB1 and SA2Battle managed million+ sales after years on the shelf with solid catalog sales, not immediately. Same will probably happen for Banana Blitz and Secret Rings.

Brakara

Neomoto said:
Have any of the hardware manufacturers (Sony, MS, Nintendo) put out a press release on NPD numbers yet?

Haven't seen anything from MS or Nintendo, but here's what Sony said:

Sony's official statement on the subject called August 2007 "a strong month for the PlayStation brand" citing $340 million in sales.

Sony says of the next-gen contender that it " finished off the summer by maintaining a steady increase in units sold over pre-July numbers, with 130,623 units sold at retail for the month" boasting of a "61% lift at retail over the past two months."

While some potential PSP buyers may have been simply holding onto their cash waiting for the PSP 2000 revision, Sony says that decreased supplies of the current PSP were partially due to the transition in manufacturing to the new model.

More here:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/psp/sony-applies-spin-to-august-npd-sales-299780.php

Edit: Added some more quotes. And bolded text. GAF loves bolded text.

Arde5643

Brakara said:
Haven't seen anything from MS or Nintendo, but here's what Sony said:
Sony's official statement on the subject called August 2007 "a strong month for the PlayStation brand" citing $340 million in sales.
:lol
Wow, are they just copying and modifying the text from SDF website?

Not like there's much spin to be done, but c'mon...

Nolan.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I have to agree with the Anti Madden Wii Sentiment. All EA had to do was take '07, make a few AI touches, add online and release it and it would have been fantastic. Instead they fucked it up royal and it shows.

I'm actually glad a lot of wii owners stayed from it...at least they have some taste.

pvpness

ComputerNerd said:
What? I've never seen this. My controller can run out of batteries during a game of Madden, and it just waits for me to get batteries back in it, then the game continues.

I've never seen what you're talking about.

Actually I never got that problem because the batteries died on any of the remotes. It always happened when two or more players were "waggling" (I hate that word) furiously. Although in my quest to check it i couldn't find a typical situation in which it happened, it did happened enough to obviously upset a decent sized group of people.

It said something like,

"Communications with remote lost, press a to return to menu" ... I'll bring it home again and see if I can't get a screen.

DuckRacer

Here's MS' response (paraphrased):

Following the thoroughly impressive August results from The NPD Group, Microsoft was the first of the big three console manufacturers to chime in on its performance for the month.

The main highlights were outlined by Microsoft as follows:

• Xbox 360 unit sales are up 63 percent, versus an 18 percent decline for PS3 and 5 percent decline for Wii month over month

• Xbox 360 outsells PS3 more than 2:1

• Xbox 360 software sales are more than PS3 and Wii software sales combined

• Madden NFL '08 on Xbox 360 outsold all other versions of the title, including the PS2 by more than 250,000 units, and PS3 by more than 560,000

• Xbox 360 held the top two titles across all next generation consoles with Madden NFL '08 (EA) at #1 and BioShock (2K Games) at #2

• Halo 3 preorders continue on a trajectory to eclipse Halo 2 preorders

Microsoft also said that since last November when the Wii and PS3 launched, gamers have bought more software for Xbox 360 (24.3 million units) than for PS3 and Wii combined (19.8 million units). [Revision: MS initially reported this as dollar sales, but has since revised it to units]

In addition, the company proudly stated that it maintained the Xbox 360's launch price point "for longer than any other console in videogame history holding the record at 21 months." The previous record was held by PS2 at 19 months.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=17422

Top Bottom