• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
TheRipDizz said:
Yeah, it's only the one of the biggest 3rd party franchises there is.....in the world.....and it really only sell in the US which incidently is the market being applied here. I wonder, would the indicator be less "flawed" had it sold well?

Seriously.
If Madden really is an accurate barometer for 3rd party sales then take August's sale all the way through to that conclusion:

3rd parties are better off on the PSP than they are on the DS and better off on the Xbox than Wii.

Obviously, there's a flaw somewhere. The biggest of which is taking (what should be) a fraction of games lifetimes sales during its most fanatical selling period and extrapolating the entire 3rd party market from that.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Man, with how long August's thread has gone on due to WOW numbers, I can't wait to see peoples' reactions to September's numbers:

"XBomb360!!"
"Xbox 360, return of the king?"

It is going to be a bloodbath for the 360 in September. PS3 is setting itself up for an embarassing September, too. I am thinking that they might reach back into 100k level numbers and 360 might do 4 times that...might. Wii will obviously remain strong in September. :p

AlteredBeast said:
Man, with how long August's thread has gone on due to WOW numbers, I can't wait to see peoples' reactions to September's numbers:

"XBomb360!!"
"Xbox 360, return of the king?"

It is going to be a bloodbath for the 360 in September. PS3 is setting itself up for an embarassing September, too. I am thinking that they might reach back into 100k level numbers and 360 might do 4 times that...might. Wii will obviously remain strong in September. :p

Actually, if the 360 outsells the Wii, it will ptobably be a relatively shorter thread. If the Wii outsells the 360 even by a small margin on the 360's biggest game of the generation, now we're talking.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
titiklabingapat said:
Actually, if the 360 outsells the Wii, it will ptobably be a relatively shorter thread. If the Wii outsells the 360 even by a small margin on the 360's biggest game of the generation, now we're talking.

I don't know, because if it sells more than the Wii, then people will play the, "will it outsell it for x amount of months? Staying power, etc."

You are definitely right about if it nearly outsells it, though. That will be a historic thread waiting to happen.

I personally think that the 360 is going to have a HUGE month, though. They could own half of the top ten for September. Hell, maybe even half of the top 20 (splitting up the Halo 3 skus. :p) !

legend166

Odysseus said:
mute point. 360 isn't outselling the wii anytime this year unless wii has massive shortages after black friday.

I love Nintendo. But at the same time, at what point do people become disenchanted with motion sensing? To me, it seems that you can only do so many games that successfully take advantage of it. At times, I'm even afraid. When I had a gamecube, I became so disgusted with Nintendo's obsession to push gameboy/gamecube connectivity. That was such a load of bull. What is Nintendo going to do next? We've already seen them release Wii Fit. It's just gonna keep on coming. Though I think my sentiments apply more to hardcore gamers.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Stuff on software today.

Rundown: Some Madden figures (Sony v. Microsoft), EA on the Wii (Madden & Boogie), Metroid Prime historical first-month data, and some whole industry trends (console hardware + software = 80% of market in August, highest in a while).

BigDug13

The industry needs the 360 to be successful (or the PS3, but let's be realistic here) so that regular controlled and graphical games continue to thrive. The Wii is a great idea for casuals and for hardcore gamers to have as a second machine.

The Wii has already put Nintendo in the best position in the industry due to the profits they've made from it, and the fact that Wii sales seem to fuel DS sales and vice versa (I firmly believe that someone who falls in love with the DS goes for the Wii and vice versa). But if Nintendo destroys all competition, gaming no longer gets the fork in the road that the Wii has now provided. Instead it will be forced in that new direction, much to the distain of many current hardcore gamers.

I think the 360 is currently successful enough to keep gaming moving in the 2 directions that it's moving now, and I think Wii60 being the true gamer's dream has proven to be more a reality than I had ever imagined.

Leondexter said:
I agree, but I feel even more strongly that 360/PS3 games are not worth $60 (and I put my money where my mouth is and don't pay over $50...most of the time).
I'm not sure where you're coming from with the cross-platform thing, though. Either the game has controls that make the Wii version worth getting, or it doesn't. Money doesn't really have anything to do with that, in my view.

The thing is, there are still a lot of core-gamers who are reluctant to give the Wii's controls a chance, and even if they do many still prefer better visuals/audio/online implementation to a novel user interface. Lowering the price on software will increase the likelihood that core-gamers and non-gamers alike will purchase Wii software even if the technically superior version is somewhere else.

But for a $10 difference, I'm almost always going to side with the 360 (or PS3 when I own one), unless the Wiimote usage is so intuitive and original that I simply must have it. Unfortunately, aside from exclusives and ports, I ain't seeing it yet.

And I also agree that $60 is too much for PS3/360 as well.

felipeko

BigDug13 said:
The industry needs the 360 to be successful (or the PS3, but let's be realistic here) so that regular controlled and graphical games continue to thrive. The Wii is a great idea for casuals and for hardcore gamers to have as a second machine.

The Wii has already put Nintendo in the best position in the industry due to the profits they've made from it, and the fact that Wii sales seem to fuel DS sales and vice versa (I firmly believe that someone who falls in love with the DS goes for the Wii and vice versa). But if Nintendo destroys all competition, gaming no longer gets the fork in the road that the Wii has now provided. Instead it will be forced in that new direction, much to the distain of many current hardcore gamers.

I think the 360 is currently successful enough to keep gaming moving in the 2 directions that it's moving now, and I think Wii60 being the true gamer's dream has proven to be more a reality than I had ever imagined.
Agreed. I think this will be the first time where the 2nd place will really matter for the industry.
=Forgotten Ancient]But for a $10 difference, I'm almost always going to side with the 360 (or PS3 when I own one), unless the Wiimote usage is so intuitive and original that I simply must have it. Unfortunately, aside from exclusives and ports, I ain't seeing it yet.

And I also agree that $60 is too much for PS3/360 as well.
And Pachter thinks it should be higher... He is crazy :/

Nolan.

Odysseus said:
moot point. 360 isn't outselling the wii anytime this year unless wii has massive shortages after black friday.

I'm likely to agree with this if that happens well I will laugh though.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I know I'm in the minority but I think the Wii is also good for the "core" who aren't impressed with the PS3/360 methods.

Wulfer

BigDug13 said:

I think you might be right I thought from the first 4 months of stats that the Wii60 would be a force to deal with. Looks like the data proves this thought to be true for a full year of stats. This is screaming one thing to the gaming industry investors and creators, if you cut off your previous system from now on you've made a bad business decision because your leaving money on the table. Their are now clearly two defined gaming markets for consoles. Market one the 360 and PS3 are battling for and market two the PS2 and the Wii are battling for... The market is a lot bigger than we thought guys I think we should celebrate we've made it to the big leagues. Gaming will never be a fad again!

felipeko

vanguardian1 said:
I know I'm in the minority but I think the Wii is also good for the "core" who aren't impressed with the PS3/360 methods.
I used to think that before Madden... But really, it isn't, and i have two reasons:
if you're going to do it traditional: ps3/x360 are the best
if you're going to do something new: wii

We have no reason to have a game like Madden tradiotonal on the Wii, even without bugs, that would be like stay on last gen..
But we do have a reason to have a new Madden on the Wii. It would be a different experience.. But EA didn't get the memo.

I hope Konami shows the way with Winning Eleven.

vanguardian1

felipeko said:
I used to think that before Madden... But really, it isn't, and i have two reasons:
if you're going to do it traditional: ps3/x360 are the best
if you're going to do something new: wii

I guess my problem is that many of the "traditional games" I play aren't appearing very much on the PS3/360 platforms, and for the few that are appearing, it's not worth the cost of entry.

rs7k

Odysseus said:
moot point. 360 isn't outselling the wii anytime this year unless wii has massive shortages after black friday.

I think Wii hype is even bigger than Halo 3. People have been talking a lot about the Wii ever since it came out, can't say the same for Halo 3 among the general population.

I don't see how earth-shattering it would be for the Wii to outsell the 360 during Halo 3 month. I expect it to happen.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
vanguardian1 said:
I guess my problem is that many of the "traditional games" I play aren't appearing very much on the PS3/360 platforms, and for the few that are appearing, it's not worth the cost of entry.

is that because most of them are nintendo games or something?

mepaco

TheRipDizz said:
Yeah, it's only the one of the biggest 3rd party franchises there is.....in the world.....and it really only sell in the US which incidently is the market being applied here. I wonder, would the indicator be less "flawed" had it sold well?

Seriously.

Let me try this again: "In any case, I think using any single game as the indicator for 3rd party sales is flawed ... but thats just me." Sound better?

There are a lot of factors at work here and I think it is stupid to say that because Madden didn't sell spectacularly, 3rd parties are doomed on Wii. How many of the die hard Maddenites, who will run out and buy it the first day, only own a Wii? How many people who own a Wii and another (especially next-gen) system will buy the Wii version? I see more overlap between Maddenites and graphics whores. If Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata don't sell like gangbusters are we going to say that 3rd parties can't sell on 360 or would it be more likely that JRPGs just aren't as appealing to the core 360 userbase?

vanguardian1 said:

What core games are you getting on the Wii other than new and improved versions of N64 and Gamecube Nintendo franchises?

Including retail and arcade, there is literally something for everyone now on the 360 so this argument becomes more and more ridiculous the more it is repeated.

mepaco

dammitmattt said:
What core games are you getting on the Wii other than new and improved versions of N64 and Gamecube Nintendo franchises?

Including retail and arcade, there is literally something for everyone now on the 360 so this argument becomes more and more ridiculous the more it is repeated.

What is the Wii not getting? Looking at the current + future lineup, I see RPGs, shooters, sports, etc. I'm not saying that the 360 doesn't have a superior lineup (it does), but I think the Wii's lineup will cover the spectrum as well.

mepaco said:
What is the Wii not getting? Looking at the current + future lineup, I see RPGs, shooters, sports, etc. I'm not saying that the 360 doesn't have a superior lineup (it does), but I think the Wii's lineup will cover the spectrum as well.

Tell me one really good Wii "core" 3rd party game (and no remakes, please). Or, tell me one really good Wii "core" 1st party game in a new franchise.

Also, I'm referring to the 360's existing lineup, not it's future lineup. The Wii's current lineup has quite a few holes, though many of those will get tied up in the next 6-12 months.

mepaco said:
Yeah, but not with the quality and depth of 360. Take racing games for example, 360 has a multitude of fantastic racers, Wii has one I can think of (Excite Truck), and I don't see a lot of great ones coming. Basketball and hockey are also weak points.

mepaco

dammitmattt said:
Tell me one really good Wii "core" 3rd party game (and no remakes, please). Or, tell me one really good Wii "core" 1st party game in a new franchise.

Also, I'm referring to the 360's existing lineup, not it's future lineup. The Wii's current lineup has quite a few holes, though many of those will get tied up in the next 6-12 months.

Well, I made it a point to say that its current + future lineup because I know it has some missing areas, but as you said they will be covered soon. I also have no idea what a 'core' game is so you will have to define that before I can give any examples.

GitarooMan said:
Yeah, but not with the quality and depth of 360. Take racing games for example, 360 has a multitude of fantastic racers, Wii has one I can think of (Excite Truck), and I don't see a lot of great ones coming. Basketball and hockey are also weak points.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that the Wii would work as a solo console for everybody. Different consoles have their strengths, but I don't think it is fair to say that the Wii is just getting "new and improved versions of N64 and Gamecube Nintendo franchises" and can't function as a solo console for anybody. Not only that, you have to give the lineup time to develop. [Insert rant about developers thinking Wii would fail so didn't devote resources ... caught with pants down ... here]

Evlar

Banned
dammitmattt said:

I can't see any reason those... carefully selected categories must be filled on September 19, 2007 in order to call Wii a success or failure.

EDIT: I also enjoy watching you casually switch from future tense to present tense.

Arde5643

dammitmattt said:

I think there's a bigger argument here since we're not including adventure/strategy/platformer/SHMUP games as part of the core games.

Unless you're talking about those games just being part of XBLA which is pretty much a weak argument since this means Wii VC actually has more games and diversity there.
As much as we try to push XBLA or Wii VC as the means for representing other genres, they're much too small to be counted as a core game by any means.

After seeing the diversity of the games in Xbox360 and PS3, the only console left where other genres can survive is only the Wii at this point and PS2 for a short period of time.

jarrod

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Zak & Wiki and Disatser?

jarrod

Banned
GitarooMan said:
To be fair, what did 360 have as of September 2006... PGR3 and RR6? Anything else?

360 had a pretty barren 1st year as well, with decent stretches between top tier releases and surprisingly little diversity itself. But that's how 1st year generally goes, why should Wii (or PS3 for that matter) be any different?

jvm said:
Stuff on software today.

Rundown: Some Madden figures (Sony v. Microsoft), EA on the Wii (Madden & Boogie), Metroid Prime historical first-month data, and some whole industry trends (console hardware + software = 80% of market in August, highest in a while).

Good article on next-gen.biz. The most surprising graph for me was this, as I didn't expect the console revenues to be so much bigger than the handheld revenues:

npdaug07-10.png

Arde5643 said:
I think there's a bigger argument here since we're not including adventure/strategy/platformer/SHMUP games as part of the core games.

Unless you're talking about those games just being part of XBLA which is pretty much a weak argument since this means Wii VC actually has more games and diversity there.
As much as we try to push XBLA or Wii VC as the means for representing other genres, they're much too small to be counted as a core game by any means.

After seeing the diversity of the games in Xbox360 and PS3, the only console left where other genres can survive is only the Wii at this point and PS2 for a short period of time.

I was referring to original XBLA games, not retro remakes. I apologize for the confusion.

Also, there is a huge diversity of games on the 360. Why would you imply otherwise?

The Sphinx said:
I can't see any reason those... carefully selected categories must be filled on September 19, 2007 in order to call Wii a success or failure.

EDIT: I also enjoy watching you casually switch from future tense to present tense.

I didn't say the Wii was a success or a failure. I was replying to the asinine argument that the Wii offers more to "core" gamers than the 360/PS3. Replace "core" with "Nintendo" and you've got a point, but that wasn't vanguardian1's point.

Evlar

Banned
dammitmattt said:
I didn't say the Wii was a success or a failure. I was replying to the asinine argument that the Wii offers more to "core" gamers than the 360/PS3. Replace "core" with "Nintendo" and you've got a point, but that wasn't vanguardian1's point.
OK. Yeah I agree that, as of this moment, 360 has the more impressive lineup. That's not going to change anytime soon.

jarrod

Banned
Forgotten Ancient said:
So you've played those? What are your impressions?
Haven't myself, but I can point you to any of the large number of almost universally glowing impressions for Z&W. :D

I bet Disaster's going to be a bit assy though... I'll sub in Endless Ocean then.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Forgotten Ancient said:
So you've played those? What are your impressions?

If Zack and Wiki doesn't count as a "great game on the Wii", then MGS4 / DMC4 / Uncharted / RE5 / SH5 / FFXIII don't count as "great games on 360/PS3".

Arde5643

Stumpokapow said:
If Zack and Wiki doesn't count as a "great game on the Wii", then MGS4 / DMC4 / Uncharted / RE5 / SH5 / FFXIII don't count as "great games on 360/PS3".
Agreed - it's pretty silly how we've relegated adventure genres to third class status in game genres nowadays.
You'd think people will be more open to other genres in games.

Stumpokapow said:

Those games actually have a history of being good. That doesn't guarantee they'll be great, but at least there's a precedent for it. Besides, I never said those games you listed were great to begin with. I'm especially suspect of FFXIII.

I fully expect Zack and Wiki to be awesome and have already stated that I'll be buying it; but many people also expected the same out of HS, Lair, and others.

BrokenSymmetry said:
Good article on next-gen.biz. The most surprising graph for me was this, as I didn't expect the console revenues to be so much bigger than the handheld revenues
Well, costs are quite different. Just considering hardware for a moment, PS3 hardware revenue would be 30% higher than DS. Or even to choose a pair with closer pricing, Wii nearly quadruples PSP.
dammitmattt said:
I was replying to the asinine argument that the Wii offers more to "core" gamers than the 360/PS3.
No you weren't. You were replying to the argument that at least a minority of the core find Wii an acceptable alternative to PS3/X360.

vanguardian1

dammitmattt - 33 of my PS2 games are mech games, jrpg's or strategy rpg's. That's why I acknowledge myself as a "niche" core gamer. :) Next week I will get PS2 game #40, Soul Nomad, a strategy RPG.

I like a variety of FPS games, but NOT with a gamepad. Never been into serious sports or racers (outside of Nintendo's arcade style sports and Mario Kart games). Outside of the Elder Scrolls games, I don't care at all for WRPG's (even then I'll only play the ES games on a PC with mods, their games are technically impressive, but very bland for lengthy playing IMHO).

Again, I won't rag on other's taste in games, as I don't want them to do with mine. But simply saying that the 360 offers a big library of games for everyone is a matter of opinion, not fact. The only "must get" games for the 360 before the end of the year I want are Armored Core 4 and Eternal Sonata. :-/ (in other words, not nearly enough for me to spend $280+tax on a console)

Btw, my home can't get a "real" form of broadband, so no online gaming for me. (it's a beautiful place out in the country though) :)

Edit : I'm not interested in Zack and Wiki, but I am interested in MySims (I love building stuff, I hated the social stuff in Sims and being an otaku, I LOVE cute) and Soul Calibur Legends since I spend more time playing the adventure modes in SC games than I do in versus combat, especially since I'm a Seigfried user. ;) Speak softly and carry a big
wii-mote controlled
sword. :D

felipeko

Forgotten Ancient said:
Those games actually have a history of being good. That doesn't guarantee they'll be great, but at least there's a precedent for it. Besides, I never said those games you listed were great to begin with. I'm especially suspect of FFXIII.

I fully expect Zack and Wiki to be awesome and have already stated that I'll be buying it; but many people also expected the same out of HS, Lair, and others.
But from what he was asked:
Would be hard to answer without any future game, in a console less than a year out...

mepaco

dammitmattt said:

I think you and I read that very differently. His statement was:

To me, that says that (depending on personal preferences of course), the Wii will be a viable solo console for traditional gamers. If that was the intent, I think that is a fair statement to make.

StevieP

Banned
BigDug13 said:
The industry needs the 360 to be successful (or the PS3, but let's be realistic here) so that regular controlled and graphical games continue to thrive.

What is "regular controlled"? We should be playing Gears on something like this, no?:

misc2600controller.jpg

felipeko said:
But from what he was asked:

Would be hard to answer without any future game, in a console less than a year out...

But you can't say either game is good if you haven't played them.

Of the 3 consoles' first 10months, the Wii has the weakest "core" third party games. The casual games make up for that as far as many people are concerned, but the question was relating to "core" titles.

Jesus, I sound like a Wii hater and I'm really not.

AlteredBeast said:
:lol WTF?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Forgotten Ancient said:

Here's the difference; Heavenly Sword was made by a developers whose previous credit was Kung Fu Chaos. Lair was made by Factor 5. Zack and Wiki is made by Capcom--and even if you go down to the staff level, Eichiro Sasaki is pretty competent.

On the other hand, Silent Hill 5 is made by The Collective who made the Da Vinci Code video game and... uh... Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

felipeko

Forgotten Ancient said:
But you can't say either game is good if you haven't played them.

Of the 3 consoles' first 10months, the Wii has the weakest "core" third party games. The casual games make up for that as far as many people are concerned, but the question was relating to "core" titles.

Jesus, I sound like a Wii hater and I'm really not.
We're talking about quality games for the core gamer, so i don't know why should we leave 1st party out of that... Wii has the stronger "core" first party games in its 10 months (Zelda, Paper, Metroid..)... so it evens out..

Top Bottom