• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
BTW, a back of the envelope calculation suggests PS3 was selling 30K per week before price drop and 90k per week after price drop.

KTallguy

Banned
AniHawk said:
Wow. Wii sales are higher than I expected. Wii Sports Resort sales are higher too.

Good numbers for Batman. Not so great numbers for Madden, when compared with previous years.

I'm happy that Madden isn't doing as well, hopefully they will retool the game more.

Everyone seems to be upgrading their DS to a DSi, which is smart.

DMeisterJ

Banned
JudgeN said:
I hope developers are watching, PS3 owners will buy your game if its not a shitty port. DO A GOOD JOB AND WE WILL REWARD YOU :D
Free exclusive content always helps too... Not none of that, 'we have exclusive content you can pay for bitches' shit.

fossilfighters.jpg

game with dinosaur should always sell good:D

P90

AniHawk said:
Wow. Wii sales are higher than I expected. Wii Sports Resort sales are higher too.

Good numbers for Batman. Not so great numbers for Madden, when compared with previous years.

Do people still play Madden? People go into histrionics over "cliche" JRPGs, but football is the same old, same old like nothing else, yet little to no griping. Oh, wait. Madden is not from a Jp-based developer, therefore it is exempt of criticism. ;)

360 has a supposed 6 million console advantage in the US and yet it barely outsells the PS3 version of Madden and Batman. I can't wait for the NPD numbers for the upcoming months.

AniHawk

nocode said:
Nice, things are tightening up, and competition will be hot this holiday season. Madden doesn't look that down does it? Other than the ps2 version, they are pretty much even with last year no?

It's a little down on the 360 and very slightly up on the PS3. It's way down on the PS2.

Kolgar said:
Will ODST move systems, though? Don't Halo fans already have their Xboxes?

As many have discussed in numerous threads, a big game always has some bump on console sales simply due to the constant advertising. A halo style game gets the name out there in a big way and leads to more sales.

That's the theory at least. It's good logic, no matter what the system is.

Sydle

PS3 and 360 so close. September is all about PS3, and I'll be interested to see if the momentum continues into October.

MightyHedgehog said:
Pretty close. September's going to be interesting, though I think it'll still end up in X360's favor due to ODST. Wii, however, is looking like it needs a price drop soon if they keep descending (and it's really about time, anyway).

You really believe ODST is a system seller?

Banned
Revolutionary said:
Nope. The Slim officially went on sale September 1st. We won't be seeing the US numbers for that until next month's NPD.

5 Days of the Slim. It was in stores on the 25th. 11 Days of $299.

Haunted

Wow, I didn't know Madden PS2 outsold Madden Wii 4:1 last year.

speculawyer said:
Worldwide I would assume?
Shipped worldwide is what I'm saying. 600k sold in the US would've left 1.4 mil sold for Europe, which is implausible.

donny2112 said:
It's the new Soul Calibur IV.
heh.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
criesofthepast said:
Whoa, batman is close there. Joker DLC have any effect on that or no?
Well I'm sure it's affected at least four copies.

DSP said he bought the PS3 version because of the DLC and three of my friends chose PS3 because of it.

So that's 4 right there.

Woodsy

Banned
WasteLand Soldier said:
how long was the ps3 price drop in there for? a week? 2 weeks?

I think about a week and a half - wasn't the drop announced on a Wednesday and the Slim went out on the 24th from many retailers the following Monday?Could be wrong.

Kolgar said:
With a enough marketing, it should do nothing but help...though it's going to be difficult to conclusively say how much of an effect it has on hardware sales because of the Elite's drop and the Pro's clearance. Guess we'll find out soon.

Paco said:
You really believe ODST is a system seller?
Yes, I do. If not, what else could qualify? How much, especially given the competition of a more reasonably priced PS3 and the current downward shift for the industry and retail, in general, due to the recession, I have no idea.

Evlar

Banned
P90 said:
Do people still play Madden? People go into histrionics over "cliche" JRPGs, but football is the same old, same old like nothing else, yet little to no griping. Oh, wait. Madden is not from a Jp-based developer, therefore it is exempt of criticism. ;)
You can't seriously tell me you've never heard GAF gripe about Madden.

[Nintex]

Fossil Fighters beat the entire Metroid Prime Trilogy, seriously

The fuck?

That difference is incredible. I wonder how much the Joker DLC factors in that.
I guess it has more to do with the PS3 Slim launch. People always want the new and hot games to go with their new system and this month that was Batman so it must've gotten quite a bump.

grandjedi6 said:
The best part is that it apparently beat Professor Layton 2
how many days of sales did Layton 2 have? layton 1 was a game with a long tail anyways.

also ps3 boys.. ps3 sold well - you don't have to use the term 'family' this month!

pharmboy044 said:
360 has a supposed 6 million console advantage in the US and yet it barely outsells the PS3 version of Madden and Batman. I can't wait for the NPD numbers for the upcoming months.

1,000,000 is barely more than 700,000?

Pretty tight numbers between the home systems. DS is still doing its own thing. Nice Batman AA sales, although now I'm confused about that other 2M figure. Maybe it's WW numbers, or shipped units, as previously stated. At any rate, it deserves every single one of those copies sold.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
pharmboy044 said:
Flawed argument.

Small bump in ps3 numbers, I expect next month to be vastly different. Although I expected a few more from 1st week slim sales.

Jon

Are people really that excited to see the PS3 finally eclipse the other consoles? It's been what...4 years?

Elios83

Next month will be epic.
A single week with the Slim still unofficially released was able to make up for the rest of the month and closing the gap with 360 (well yeah there was also an other week with the fats leftovers to consider).
I think Wii is going to lose the number one position next month for the first time since Halo3 came out, this time beaten by the Slim.

Kolgar said:

This has been a running joke since day one.
Halo just does not stop selling. It does move good hardware. Its like Madden,its a brand that people associate with gaming Nothing Sony can do to stop that.
:D

2 weeks of ps3 price cut though. i mean wouldnt that still cause a jump above 360 if the demand was there? i mean a slimmed down console is nice and all but a 299 ps3 is a 299 ps3. after a full month of sales next month i just dont see the ps3 maintaining after that.

Barrett2

I don't see why people are surprised at the close sales between Batman. It was heavily advertised for the PS3, hence, more comparative sales.

donny2112 said:
Wii Madden 10 can't sell 92K? EA really needs to get their act together with their annual titles on the Wii.
Meh . . . I just think that Madden fans who own a Wii likely also own a PS3 or xbox 360.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Woodsy said:
I think about a week and a half - wasn't the drop announced on a Wednesday and the Slim went out on the 24th from many retailers the following Monday?Could be wrong.
It's official date was the 3rd, but retailers were allowed to sell it anytime they received it. Most had it within that first week.

Also the got the 100$ price drop in there on the older models, and MS replacing the Pro with Elite.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
lawblob said:
I don't see why people are surprised at the close sales between Batman. It was heavily advertised for the PS3, hence, more comparative sales.

with PS3 exclusive content you would think it would've sold more than the 360.

edit: I was joking. this thread is too serious for sarcasm.

Top Bottom