• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

TheRipDizz said:
It doesn't quite work out in the PS3's favor like that though. For example, when the original Xbox commanded like 15-17% of the market, it routinely put up respectable numbers on multiplatform games compared to the PS2. Consoles with smaller userbases can usually make up some of that difference because that userbase is generally core users and enthusiastic. The PS3 doesn't even seem to enjoy that advantage.

But it does, at least in some cases. Microsoft's own press release states that Assassin's Creed and Guitar Hero III 360 versions outsold the PS3 versions by about 2:1. Since their userbase advantage is 3:1, that means attach rate for these games was better on the PS3. On the other hand, Rock Band attached to PS3 only mildly stronger than on 360, and COD4 sold to almost exactly the same percentage of both console bases.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nolan. said:
I haven't praised any particular platform myself so I don't get your reference in your opening sentence.

But who are your going to praise when your preferred platform didn't do anything praiseworthy?

The point is that you emphasized how disappointed you are in the 360's hardware sales, despite the fact it met your definition of "success". Meanwhile, you state that its software sold "reasonably well". All this you state in a vacuum whilst ignoring the other two next gen consoles. It seems like a cheap troll attempt at the 360.

Nolan.

VanMardigan said:
But who are your going to praise when your preferred platform didn't do anything praiseworthy?

The point is that you emphasized how disappointed you are in the 360's hardware sales, despite the fact it met your definition of "success". Meanwhile, you state that its software sold "reasonably well". All this you state in a vacuum whilst ignoring the other two next gen consoles. It seems like a cheap troll attempt at the 360.

What are you talking about again with that opening.? As for the rest of your post come to your own conclusions. As it would seem you are unable to read and understand at the same time. Iv'e already explained what I meant by my expression of disappointment relative to the platform. However it would seem you would rather take it and bend it to your own liking. So go ahead, keep topic looping, i'm not interested.

I am going to put this thought in this thread. I was wondering how much control legally does MS have over their platform. Can they pull an 80's Nintendo and start saying to third party developers "Ahhh, Ok, you don't want to give us this 3rd party exclusive? Then we would rather not have your title on the 360 at all. Take your chances with the PS3 and Wii." I am truly curious about that.

pr0cs

Anerythristic said:
I am going to put this thought in this thread. I was wondering how much control legally does MS have over their platform. Can they pull an 80's Nintendo and start saying to third party developers "Ahhh, Ok, you don't want to give us this 3rd party exclusive? Then we would rather not have your title on the 360 at all. Take your chances with the PS3 and Wii." I am truly curious about that.
I'm sure they could do that but Microsoft loves money as much as any company and I really can't see them doing that, even though it would probably be a death blow to their competition.

Liabe Brave said:
But it does, at least in some cases. Microsoft's own press release states that Assassin's Creed and Guitar Hero III 360 versions outsold the PS3 versions by about 2:1. Since their userbase advantage is 3:1, that means attach rate for these games was better on the PS3. On the other hand, Rock Band attached to PS3 only mildly stronger than on 360, and COD4 sold to almost exactly the same percentage of both console bases.
if you limit your comparison to only the biggest 3rd party titles you're missing a large and crucial piece of the picture. AAA crazy marketed software is going to sell. Period. platform doesn't matter. It's the performance of 2nd tier games that matters. Since budgets on those are limited.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Can I has Halo 4 this gen plz? Come on MS, you know you want it.

at least an MP only version with better graphics, improved gameplay, and have it your way FORGE!

Uncooked

Banned
Damn it, I went to bed last night and this was only at page 27, I can't believe I missed GottiDC. Looks like u fools didnt keep your mouth shut and kill GottiDC, now peope call Amerca bad name.

Lets put this on American Idol level here.
Ghotti is one of those posers that go to the audition and sing bad on purpose to get some face time. Not real. Not funny.
Snah on the other hand really thinks he's a good singer. I think he's is genuine. Snahjiya?
Simon(reality) has put him in his place and he's off in tears. Now that's funny.
At least that's what I think from what I've been told about the show. I've never watched it.:D

Honestly though not the worst PS3 hardware numbers but software is absolutely terrible.
Snah and Ghotti claiming any sort of victory was just over the top.

Thus far, the only next-generation console I own is the PS3; however, the circumstances that warranted this purchase were unusual. I recently bought an HDTV, and around the same time, I heard about the impending demise of the 20/60GB and hardware BC. The PS2 is an important console for me, and still gets the most playtime due to my enormous RPG backlog. So, I bought a 60GB after the price drop, and I've been quite happy so far. Granted, I don't own any games yet (sorry, not a fan of Uncharted), but I have DMC4 pre-ordered (interestingly enough, DMC was my first PS2 game).

I always end up owning every console of a generation, but this time 'round it came about in an interesting way. The 360 was my first planned purchase, but I'm waiting for the GPU die shrink and another price drop. I'm still actively looking for a Wii (for NMH), but I can't find the damn thing anywhere. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that this generation is odd due to the continued momentum of the PS2, and I agree. I'm still actively playing the sucker, and I still have Persona 3 and FFXII to get through before I retire it. I'm not worried about the PS3, as it'll get the jRPGs that I crave somewhere down the line (probably within a year or two). It's interesting to me seeing the relative "shift" in console priority and such, but I guess it doesn't really affect me one way or another. I have a PS3 for jRPGs and MGS4, and I'll have a 360 and a Wii for their respective games. Good times all around.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jive Turkey said:
I second this. This thread provided some really good laughs.
The only thing that's really missing is the deluge of GIFs that used to be so prevalent in NPD threads. :(

Alcibiades

http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-games18jan18,1,4311576.story?coll=la-headlines-technology

some highly credible analysis from Rob Enderle:

Shoppers snapped up 6.3 million Wii boxes last year, compared with 2.6 million PS3 consoles, according to NPD. Microsoft Corp. held its own, selling 4.6 million Xbox 360s costing $280 to $450 each.

"What these numbers tell me is that the closer you get to the magic $200 price point, the better your sales," said analyst Rob Enderle of consulting firm Enderle Group.

ziran

IMO:

- In terms of what PS2 was, PS3 is in utterly terrible shape in NA and Japan and on life support in Europe, and that life support is called the Playstation brand, which could give out at any time.
- 360 is going to sell better than Xbox in NA because of Sony's incompetence, but still be outsold significantly by Wii when all said and done.
- Wii is the dominant system this gen and the final lead in NA and WW is going to be PS2 level or more.
- PSP's hw sales are solid and it's a nice mini PC, but decidedly crap for sw sales the world over.
- DS is likely to become the biggest selling system ever.
- Overall, fun thread, keep it up! :lol

Opus Angelorum said:
I think Gears of War 2 has a very good chance.

Pretty much. I can see Gears 2 outselling the original (providing Epic don't completely mess it up)

The GTA4 DLC as well, that won't be included in any NPD but I wouldn't be surprised if that sells by the bucketload as well. I certainly wouldn't discount it from MS's 2008 strategy, give it a few weeks and I think that is all we will hear from Redmond.

beerbelly

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
Sony fans would say MGS4. Nintendo fans, Smash.

I think GDC is going to give Microsoft a lot of momentum.

Oh yea, I forgot about those titles. Smash Brothers could very well be the Halo 3 of this year, as could Gran Theft Auto 4, as Sionyboy mentioned. Can't believe I forgot about these.

Jumpman23

beerbelly said:
What title on any other system will be able to match "Halo 3's fire power"?

Resistance 2

The original has sold close to a million (820k) in NA alone. Considering that only 3 million consoles are out there for Sony, that is one hell of an attach rate. Additionally, the sequel looks to improve everything from the original and then some. 60 player online multiplayer matches and 8 player co-op campaign sound damn good.

Gears of War 2

This could easily pass Halo 3's numbers. Expect Epic to wow everyone again with the UT3 engine as only they can. Gears of War sales were huge considering the amount of consoles available during its release. Its current sales reside at just over 2.4 throughout the 2007 calendar year. I expect GDC to be its unveiling as Epic will likely want to sell the engine to more studios with its "NEW" improvements seen in Gears 2.

Smash Bros. Brawl

Little to say. The original was the Gamecubes number one selling game of all time. With the current state of Wii first party sales, I would expect this game to push well over 6 million in the states alone in its first year.

Wii Fit

If any game is going to sell to the masses it this one. Expect everyone that only plays Wii Sports and Wii Play to be ALL OVER THIS ONE. Could eclipse Smash Bros. in overall lifetime sales. Japan is already at a million sold with its release over a month ago.

Jammy

Banned
Carnival Games sold another 272,000 in December? :lol What's its LTD at? I believe that puts it close to 600,000 now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Xisiqomelir said:
Someone calculate me a takeover date for the Wii becoming #1 in the US. I'm at work with no data.

Based on this month's sales, it'd be 2H2009. Based on this year's sales, 2H2008. Based on lifetime sales, it'd be somewhere between the two. I'm at work and I don't have time to do a time series / exponential smoothing for you or look up the exact figures to give you a date and day.

jarrod

Banned
The only game next year I can really see coming close to Halo 3's immeidate hysteria is GTAIV. Nintendo stuff like Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii could actually outsell Halo 3 in the end but it'll be a slow burn comparatively. Nothing exclusive on 360 or PS3 even comes close though.

Eteric Rice

jarrod said:
The only game next year I can really see coming close to Halo 3's immeidate hysteria is GTAIV. Nintendo stuff like Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii could actually outsell Halo 3 in the end but it'll be a slow burn comparatively. Nothing exclusive on 360 or PS3 even comes close though.

Brawl.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
DS sold 2.5 million (the most EVER for hardware in a single month right?)....and only ONE game in the top 10.

Jumpman23 said:
Resistance 2

The original has sold close to a million (820k) in NA alone. Considering that only 3 million consoles are out there for Sony, that is one hell of an attach rate. Additionally, the sequel looks to improve everything from the original and then some. 60 player online multiplayer matches and 8 player co-op campaign sound damn good.

Gears of War 2

This could easily pass Halo 3's numbers. Expect Epic to wow everyone again with the UT3 engine as only they can. Gears of War sales were huge considering the amount of consoles available during its release. Its current sales reside at just over 2.4 throughout the 2007 calendar year. I expect GDC to be its unveiling as Epic will likely want to sell the engine to more studios with its "NEW" improvements seen in Gears 2.

Smash Bros. Brawl

Little to say. The original was the Gamecubes number one selling game of all time. With the current state of Wii first party sales, I would expect this game to push well over 6 million in the states alone in its first year.

Wii Fit

If any game is going to sell to the masses it this one. Expect everyone that only plays Wii Sports and Wii Play to be ALL OVER THIS ONE. Could eclipse Smash Bros. in overall lifetime sales. Japan is already at a million sold with its release over a month ago.

Resistance doesn't even belong on that list, going by sales, and comparing it to Halo is just fanboy hope. It's going to sell, but it's not going to sell half as much as Smash Bros, Gears, or Wii Fit and you know it

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
davepoobond said:
DS sold 2.5 million (the most EVER for hardware in a single month right?)....and only ONE game in the top 10.

Last year the tenth place game sold one million. This year, almost two million. The DS has several million sellers this year, they just didn't make the top ten. This is typical of handhelds, which tend to have a lower attach rate anyway.

Edit:
DKR DS, Brain Age, Brain Age 2, Pokemon Diamond, Pokemon Pearl were all million sellers for the year confirmed. I have sneaking suspicions about a few other titles, and I'm aware of a large quantity above 500k.

ksamedi

davepoobond said:

In the US, Handheld software just doesn't sell that much. I think it also has to do with the relatively crappy US support.

Alcibiades said:

Overall, that was a pretty reasonable stating of the facts. But it is a bit anti-Nintendo. "Lower-priced stuff sells better" is blatantly obvious, but they imply that's why the Wii is winning, which is not the case. They also couldn't resist throwing in that bit about Wii's rotting in dusty corners at the end, I see. And 2008 "could be a challenging year for Nintendo"? It will be--on the production side of the business.

They're right and wrong about Halo 3: right if they mean that nothing this year will pack that kind of hype and first day sales, but wrong if they think no game this year will sell 4.8 million units. GTAIV (just the 360 version) can probably better that.

Liabe Brave said:
yeah, but sales don't scale in a linear fashion with userbase.

look at the game numbers last year, when the 360's userbase was comparable to the PS3's now.

you'll see what i'm talking about...

davepoobond said:

No, the DS didn't break the PS2's Dec 2002 record. It fell short by a bit over 200k.

Phoenix 2.0 said:
It's peanut butter jelly time! *dances*

its_peanut_butter_jelly_time_from_f.gif

gkryhewy

The Faceless Master said:
yeah, but sales don't scale in a linear fashion with userbase.

look at the game numbers last year, when the 360's userbase was comparable to the PS3's now.

you'll see what i'm talking about...

Careful - you're ruining defense point of the month.

ksamedi said:
Why does every analyst think the Wii will fade away just because people got bored of Wiisports. There are tons of games coming. And its not going to stop till next gen hits. Its stupid to think that Wii will suddenly be pushed away into a corner.

And a ton of it is absolute crap. But point taken.

Top Bottom