• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Odysseus said:
is he counting each of the five games in the wii sports pack-in? otherwise, i don't see how that's even possible.
That reminds me of the eBay auctions I saw last year. Wii BNIB + 2 controllers + 14 games! :lol

Lobster

Banned
I find it hard to believe aswell but it came from Matt who does have access to NPD data.

I doubt VC games are included. NPD doesn't track VC games.

Chumly

Odysseus said:
is he counting each of the five games in the wii sports pack-in? otherwise, i don't see how that's even possible.
Im pretty positive its the ratio for the month which is entirely possible.

Wii December Software Sales > 360 December Software Sales to clarify for anyone

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
I was actually on Toyon Bay as a chaperon to sixth graders. It's been a long three days.

That sounds fucking awful

Uncooked

Banned
Chumly said:
Im pretty positive its the ratio for the month which is entirely possible.

Wii December Software Sales > 360 December Software Sales to clarify for anyone

Oh its just the month? No way they sold 10 games for every console sold in December.

They would have had to sell 13.5 million games to do that.

AniHawk

schuelma said:
That sounds fucking awful

There were only 50 kids (in past years there have been around 80 or so), and about 13 in our group. Most of our guys did pretty good though. The worst part of it was yesterday when all but one went without flippers when they went snorkeling. I just gave them the boogie board since I wasn't going to taxi them around the ocean (which I eventually did once it was time to go into shore- my legs are still killing me).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Uncooked said:
That isn't right I have a feeling, no way the tie ratio is 10.
For the month of December?

December
Wii HW = 1.35 million
Wii SW = 13.5 million?

There's no way in hell it's LTD tie-ratio considering the 360 tie-ratio is 7:1.

Lobster

Banned
Uncooked said:
Oh its just the month? No way they sold 10 games for every console sold in December.

They would have had to sell 13.5 million games to do that.

I think its the month too..I'll listen to it again for confirmation.

donny2112

Lobster said:
From IGN Matt: Wii software > 360 software

tie ratio: 10 games to every console sold.

13.5 million is below typical PS2 December levels, but higher than anything else including 360. Even if he was counting Wii Sports, it only drops it down to ~12 million, which is still higher than anything else save the PS2.

Uncooked

Banned
donny2112 said:
13.5 million is below typical PS2 December levels, but higher than anything else including 360. Even if he was counting Wii Sports, it only drops it down to ~12 million, which is still higher than anything else save the PS2.

Wait, so is it confirmed that the Wii sold 13.5 million pieces of software then (this month)?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
donny2112 said:
It depends how close to reality those pics we saw of bare Wii SW shelves in US stores were.

SuperBonk

So Wii sold 13.5M units of software in December? Well, counting Wii Sports, SMG, Wii Play, and Mario & Sonic, we know it at least sold 4.423M units (1.35M + 1.4M + 1.06M + 613k). I think I saw somewhere that GH3 was very close to the top 10 so we can assume that's another 600k. So that brings the total to a little bit over 5 million units.

So the rest of the software sold about 8 million units? Maybe I did some math wrong or just don't get it, but that doesn't seem right to me.

Lobster

Banned
schuelma said:
Yes, it was for the month.

Matt words it very badly :\

SuperBonk said:
So Wii sold 13.5M units of software in December? Well, counting Wii Sports, SMG, Wii Play, and Mario & Sonic, we know it at least sold 4.423M units (1.35M + 1.4M + 1.06M + 613k). I think I saw somewhere that GH3 was very close to the top 10 so we can assume that's another 600k. So that brings the total to a little bit over 5 million units.

So the rest of the software sold about 8 million units? Maybe I did some math wrong or just don't get it, but that doesn't seem right to me.

10:1 for the month. Not Wii.

Edit:

Sorry for the confusion. As an apology accept a Kung Fu Panda screenshot for Wii.

6351620080117_115632_2_big.jpg

Uncooked

Banned
SuperBonk said:
Wait, so this is all consoles included?

But Wii Software still > 360 software? Impressive.

I don't think Wii software beat 360 software for the month in December either. In the USA I mean.

toxk_02

Black Republican
This is what he said (around the 7:30 mark of the podcast):

"The Wii software sales actually outsold 360 software sales."

"The tie-ratio for Wii games was 10 games to every system sold."

Sean

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Resistance doesn't even belong on that list, going by sales, and comparing it to Halo is just fanboy hope. It's going to sell, but it's not going to sell half as much as Smash Bros, Gears, or Wii Fit and you know it

Yeah, Resistance 2 will be a solid seller but it's not even in the same league as those other games listed, let alone Halo 3.

Resistance LTD (757k) was already surpassed by CoD4 PS3 (965k) in just two months.

Uncooked

Banned
Chumly said:
No Wii did beat the 360

That is insane then. With 360 still being ahead of Wii in the USA, having a higher tie ratio over its lifetime, and looking great in the top 10, that is really surprising.

Chumly

Uncooked said:
That is insane then. With 360 still being ahead of Wii in the USA, having a higher tie ratio over its lifetime, and looking great in the top 10, that is really surprising.
Probably means more Wii people got software as christmas presents (Cue Wii only for kids lolololololol). In addition to the small lead it had in overall hardware sales and might have been people picking up software without a system.

Uncooked

Banned
Chumly said:
Probably means more Wii people got software as christmas presents (Cue Wii only for kids lolololololol). In addition to the small lead it had in overall hardware sales and might have been people picking up software without a system.

Yea I suppose, still sounds a little off though. I haven't heard it from anywhere else so far, so hopefully more is reported on total software in December.

Chumly

Uncooked said:
Yea I suppose, still sounds a little off though. I haven't heard it from anywhere else so far, so hopefully more is reported on total software in December.
We wont get anything else though because NPD doesnt release it. We only get "Leaks" like this from people who get to see the charts like Matt. If you make NPD mad you wont get numbers anymore so this is probably the most we will get to see.

Jammy

Banned
SuperBonk said:

Carnival Games sold 272,000 and Guitar Hero III (Wii) was the 11th best selling game of the month at well over 500,000. NiGHTS 2 sold 60-something thousand.

EDIT: Also, expect High School Musical Wii and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga to sell extremely well.

SuperBonk

Jammy said:
Carnival Games sold 272,000 and Guitar Hero III (Wii) was the 11th best selling game of the month at well over 500,000.

EDIT: Also, expect High School Musical Wii and Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga to sell extremely well.

I included GH3 (estimated it at 600k if you see my post) but there would need to be a whole bunch of games that sold as well as Carnival Games (over 30 in fact) to reach 8.5 million units, which is what it needs to be a 10:1 ratio.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but I just find it unlikely.

Lobster

Banned
toxk_02 said:
This is what he said (around the 7:30 mark of the podcast):

"The Wii software sales actually outsold 360 software sales."

"The tie-ratio for Wii games was 10 games to every system sold."

This is what I heard too but its fucking crazy.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
jarrod said:
It's going to pass 10m easy. Unlike GT5. :p
Oh, I didn't say that would either. ;)

Eh, it was top tier on a console where basically all Nintendo's other top brands basically halved from the previous gen for various reasons. Melee also had a near launch advantage, which is pretty huge... I dunno, Brawl may move units like no Smash Bros. before, but I think the design limits it to a degree. Fighters just don't move 10m+, never have and probably never will.

Oh, I was just arguing about SSB being a second tier title. Whether it will sell near 10 million, yeah I wouldn't bet on it as of yet.

AdventureRacing said:
Perhaps if you have a quick look at which platform each game is on you might understand why halo 3 will struggle to match those other games.

I'm aware of those platforms that the other games are on. What are you trying to say?

Mashing

Chumly said:

Maybe the people who went for the rain checks bought some software in anticipation? Maybe that could explain it. We have no idea how many rain checks were sold.

AniHawk

ComputerNerd said:
I love catalina. How was the stay?

Pretty good. We lucked out on the weather as we only experienced Santa Ana winds on the first night (after our night hike). The only unfortunate thing about that was how it made the water murky. Of course, our guys wouldn't've been able to see anything if they wanted to, since they didn't wear their flippers (the camp supplies them with wetsuits and other gear).

Last year we saw a seal underwater. It was just sitting among some kelp, kinda hanging out and looking at us. Last year the kids also helped catch some sharks for the shark tank since the camp didn't have any.

KINGMOKU

Uncooked said:
2million more consoles in the U.S then the Wii.

Cant wait to see what the "Software sells like crap on the Wii" people have to say about this.

Odysseus

Banned
moku said:
Cant wait to see what the "Software sells like crap on the Wii" people have to say about this.

they'll forget it ever happened.

that said, i don't believe it happened until i hear it from another source.

Lobster

Banned
moku said:
2million more consoles in the U.S then the Wii.

They'll argue that Wii Play is a controller.

Odysseus said:

Does Sonycowboy pay for his NPD data? He could do it for us I guess but I don't think anywhere else will risk it.

Matt already got in trouble for leaking Wii software numbers last time yet he still goes on.

botticus

Odysseus said:

Or they'll not believe it because we'll never hear it from another source.

Weren't there only some 20k rainchecks provided in that program? Not really significant.

Odysseus

Banned
botticus said:
Or they'll not believe it because we'll never hear it from another source.

i've learned to give wii more than just the benefit of the doubt. but i've also learned to give game "journalists" no benefit whatsoever.

Lobster

Banned
Odysseus said:
i've learned to give wii more than just the benefit of the doubt. but i've also learned to give game "journalists" no benefit whatsoever.

Should also remember Matts married to someone from Nintendo.

Lets get out our pitchforks and torches.

Top Bottom