• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Tabris said:
PS3 and PSP are showing increases in hardware over last time, and Sony is halfway through their hardware comeback in Japan with the increased PSP sales (nearly matching DS) and normalized 30+k sales for PS3.

I told you guys that the tide was turning! It started back in Fall 2007 in Japan and it's slowly reaching the NA market. By 2008 winter, both PS3 and PSP will be outselling it's competitors in the hardware arena.

colbertCalledIt.jpg

party0011.gif
party0011.gif
party0011.gif
party0011.gif
party0011.gif

On a serious note now, is there any way for us to find out what percentage of those top 100 titles are wii titles? Or is it possible for Sonycowboy to at least confirm the Wii's software sales to be above the 360's?

Tabris said:
PS3 and PSP are showing increases in hardware over last time, and Sony is halfway through their hardware comeback in Japan with the increased PSP sales (nearly matching DS) and normalized 30+k sales for PS3.

I told you guys that the tide was turning! It started back in Fall 2007 in Japan and it's slowly reaching the NA market. By 2008 winter, both PS3 and PSP will be outselling it's competitors in the hardware arena.

colbertCalledIt.jpg
Then they can spend a couple of years working out how to sell software again! It'll be great!

Chumly

Fio said:
Honest question: Why Casamassina is not a credible source ?
GAF always gets butt hurt when Matt says things. Even though Matt has owned GAF multiple times everyone still thinks he just bullshits.

That and his info doesnt fit the fanboy agendas on GAF so naturally his info is wrong.

Honestly its extremely believable for the info to be true. Take in the fact that the Wii fanbase is more casual (More sales during christmas) along with the fact that it sold more and people might have bought games while thinking they could get the system in January.

Donny has already told us that the amount of Wii software sold is LESS THAN normal PS2 years so its not like the Wii is breaking any records. Its extremely logically that it could outsell the 360 for december. Of course your going to have fanboys come in here in droves saying its not true since there probably gonna cry about it later.

Odysseus

Banned
Fuzzy said:
Don't lie, you did also just in case.

memory and search feature. it's an interesting tale.

i only have one thing bookmarked from gaf. it's something i said, and it turned out i was completely, terribly, 192.8% wrong.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Tabris said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7813329&postcount=450

The difference between the post you linked was faith vs certainty. I had faith in your post but I was certain in the above post. The tide has turned!

Well, as long as you're happy, I guess.

I'll just sit quietly in my corner looking forward to more Wii and DS games. As well as my upcoming video card upgrade. ^_^

*shrugs and goes back to playing Tales of the Abyss*

Jammy

Banned
No gap is being closed. For that to happen, Sony's systems would have to actually be OUTSELLING those of Microsoft's and Nintendo's.

Even if this happens, or hell, STARTS to happen, they've got a LOT of catching up to do.

I fear that the damage has already been done, though. Like other people have said... we'd have to give Sony another few more years for their userbases to actually start buying games.

The hardware sales could (nah) change, but the support and software is already heading where it's heading. You won't see some massive influx of third party software for PS3 or PSP. In a year's time, check the stickied weekly GAF thread that has all of the new releases for the upcoming two weeks. There's a reason every game is going to Wii, DS, and 360.

Odysseus

Banned
duffey said:
So what happens when the PS3 starts selling like it did last year around this time? I guess that's all part of the plan right?

:lol

when i play mario kart, i often let the cpu characters get out to a sizable lead and then track them down. often, i'll sit at the start finish line or even go backwards until they're far enough out front that i can enjoy the challenge of tracking them down, imagining their computerized humiliation as i storm past them before taking the checkered flag.

you see, wii and 360 are those cpu karts. sony's just trying to have a little more fun and prolong the life of the game.

jman2050

Odysseus said:
when i play mario kart, i often let the cpu characters get out to a sizable lead and then track them down. often, i'll sit at the start finish line or even go backwards until they're far enough out front that i can enjoy the challenge of tracking them down, imagining their computerized humiliation as i storm past them before taking the checkered flag.

you see, wii and 360 are those cpu karts. sony's just trying to have a little more fun and prolong the life of the game.

What did you do when the first place guy kept getting lightning bolts?

[Nintex]

Odysseus said:

Nintendo is the Mario Kart 64 cpu at the moment, no matter how hard you try you can't beat the cheating AI. They're in first place with Toad. He has a fucking star and shoots blue shells at you every second. Microsoft is driving with Donkey Kong in second place and they're throwing bananas all over the place. Sony is Bowser who gets hit by every shell and slips over every banana lagging behind a lap. Bowser can take a shortcut and mushroom to come back in 2008 but Nintendo has infinite power stars and Microsoft keeps dropping bananas in front of them.

Odysseus

Banned
jman2050 said:
What did you do when the first place guy kept getting lightning bolts?

the first place guy doesn't get lightning bolts. the progressive tax system of the game makes sure the haves only get bananas while the have-nots get baskets full of awesome.

wii is getting smash brothers. that's a banana. 360 is getting fable 2. that's a green turtle shell. sony is getting metal gear solid 4 (star). killzone 2 (bullet). little big planet (blue shell). resistance 2 (unlimited boost). final fantasy xiii (three shroom combo of undeniable win).

it's academic, really.

ok, i'm through channelling the hive mind of sony's lunatic fringe.

donny2112

Souldriver said:
It means that we should see total Nintendo domination in the software charts, and that's not the case. Wii software does well, but not 13.5 million well.

So I take it PS2 software is floundering then, since it only had two games in the top 10 compared to three for Wii?

Without access to the full NPD listing, such analysis is downright stupid. Matt-IGN has access. 13.5 million is much less than PS2's usual amount in December. I wouldn't blindly guess that the Wii sold 13.5 million pieces of software in December, but when someone with access to the full report makes the claim, denying it is just silly.

Raist said:
Even counting wii sports there's no way this is possible

Except ... it is.

Odysseus said:
the first place guy doesn't get lightning bolts. the progressive tax system of the game makes sure the haves only get bananas while the have-nots get baskets full of awesome.

wii is getting smash brothers. that's a banana. 360 is getting fable 2. that's a green turtle shell. sony is getting metal gear solid 4 (star). killzone 2 (bullet). little big planet (blue shell). resistance 2 (unlimited boost). final fantasy xiii (three shroom combo of undeniable win).

it's academic, really.

:(

You're the most entertaining at it though.

iosef

speculawyer said:
xbox 360 waggle-wand pretty much confirmed.

I can't wait for the waggle-wand demo with Jeff 'saved by the' Bell.

Please not for Banjo-Threeie.

Raist

Banned
donny2112 said:
Except ... it is.

Well, let's not even argue on the sillyness of calling for a 10:1 tie ratio, when it doesn't take Wii's LTD HW sales into account. That's not really the point.

And then, explain me how the hell the Wii could have sold 13.5 million software units, given the data we got from NPD.
Just check this post, it sums it up perfectly.

And not to mention the fact that Nintendo would certainly have mentionned it in their NPD comments. Sony did mention that the PS2 had the most SW sales tho, but we don't have any numbers. And I really doubt the PS2 sold more than 13.5 million software units in December.

jman2050

Odysseus said:

it's academic, really.

But the Wii has already lapped the PS3 while the 360 isn't far behind, so the Wii uses its banana to knock PS3 further back while the oncoming 360 nails it with the green shell, making even the PS3's powerups fruitless in the end.

Yeah, I'm done too.

acevans2

This thread is too big to go through, so can anyone say if Orange Box PS3 numbers were mentioned? Were they anything that could give me hope for more Valve games?

Loudninja

acevans2 said:
This thread is too big to go through, so can anyone say if Orange Box PS3 numbers were mentioned? Were they anything that could give me hope for more Valve games?

Nope, its only sold 57,000

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Tabris said:

colbertCalledIt.jpg

this guy... is my kinda guy

donny2112

Raist said:
And then, explain me how the hell the Wii could have sold 13.5 million software units, given the data we got from NPD.
Just check this post, it sums it up perfectly.

That post list 5 data points below the top 10. That means nothing. If you think it does, you have no idea how many thousands of games are in an NPD report.

Raist said:
And I really doubt the PS2 sold more than 13.5 million software units in December.

22% decline from Dec 2006 puts it right about that. Maybe the Wii sold 13.0 million for a 9.63 tie ratio for the month. ;)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Could we get the rest of the random software sales into the OP please?

Also, are there numbers for any more DS games? Like 3rd party DS sales for December, etc. PSP too?

So for the PS3 to take second worldwide this year they would have to sell 750,000 each month and have the 360 sell absolutely no units. Does anyone actually think this will happen?

Conflict NZ said:
So for the PS3 to take second worldwide this year they would have to sell 750,000 each month and have the 360 sell absolutely no units. Does anyone actually think this will happen?

Judging by this very thread, quite a few people.

Raist

Banned
donny2112 said:
That post list 5 data points below the top 10. That means nothing. If you think it does, you have no idea how many thousands of games are in an NPD report.

22% decline from Dec 2006 puts it right about that. Maybe the Wii sold 13.0 million for a 9.63 tie ratio for the month. ;)

Almost all major Wii games are listed (major = the ones that sell the best). That would mean like 100 Wii games have sold 70k+ units. Seems highly unprobable.

As for the PS2, just consider the userbase. I mean, 13.5mil. software sold for the Wii would mean that every Wii owner bought 2 games in december. Again, that's hard to believe, considering that Wii SW sales are not really usually that huge.

On a sidenote, what's the point of making tie ratio with monthly SW sales with monthly HW sales anyway ? Because those SW sales surely don't come only from the people that bought a system in december.

Top Bottom