• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
w3stfa11 said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. But looking at the wiki page for the balance board, there were 6 retail games released in Oct 2008 or later that used the BB in some form. I think the ones to look forward in 2009 are EA Sports Active and PunchOut.

I know it's on the list, but I think that EA is planning on releasing that game with their own exercise band peripheral.

EDIT: I'm sure of it. http://www.easportsactive.com/home.action

Tron 2.0

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts sold only 140,000 units. If I'm reading it correctly, that's a LTD number. That's truly pathetic.

The NPD threads always get a little unwieldy, so sorry if this was already discussed. I went back a few pages and didn't see it.

Balb

Tron 2.0 said:
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts sold only 140,000 units. If I'm reading it correctly, that's a LTD number. That's truly pathetic.

The NPD threads always get a little unwieldy, so sorry if this was already discussed. I went back a few pages and didn't see it.

I'm not sure how Banjo has done in Europe, but 140k is decent considering the lack of advertising and the type of people who own a 360.

farnham

Banned
Balb said:
I'm not sure how Banjo has done in Europe, but 140k is decent considering the lack of advertising and the type of people who own a 360.
isnt banjo a million selling franchise..

dunno how it did on n64 but i had the impression it was a big title

Vinci

Danish
Balb said:

None of that matters when you consider the money likely spent developing it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Tron 2.0 said:

Yeah, I wish we could get an OP or at least a second post by someone who's willing to edit from time to time with all the data we get.

And HOLY SHIT at Shaun White for Wii, almopst half a million?! :O

And it's sold out almopst everywhere in the UK as well, awesome worldwide numbers I bet.
The good news is that the game truly deserves success.

Balb

Vinci said:
None of that matters when you consider the money likely spent developing it.

I didn't like the game, but all the blame can't really be placed on Rare. Microsoft sent the game out to die. Sure, it's not the multi-million seller the N64 ones were, but it could have done a lot worse.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Banjo: N&B is a real gem. It's a huge shame that it didn't sell more.

Vinci

Danish
Balb said:
I didn't like the game, but all the blame can't really be placed on Rare. Microsoft sent the game out to die. Sure, it's not the multi-million seller the N64 ones were, but it could have done a lot worse.

I'm not assigning blame at all; I'm saying it sold like shit. Making excuses for why or trying to diminish that fact isn't necessary.

Vinci

Danish
titiklabingapat said:
It would be an awesome day on GAF if MS ends up selling Rare back to Nintendo. :lol

I wonder how much Rare is worth right now.

They'd have to give them to Nintendo. Actually, Nintendo might simply take the IPs and ditch everything else.

titiklabingapat said:
It might benefit Nintendo since Rare has experience creating Nintendo's artistic clones in HD.

None of their HD games could even charitably be described as such. What's Banjo Nuts & Bolts, Mario Garage? Viva Pinata? Animal Crossing (But Only The Animals This Time)?

BenjaminBirdie said:
None of their HD games could even charitably be described as such. What's Banjo Nuts & Bolts, Mario Garage? Viva Pinata? Animal Crossing (But Only The Animals This Time)?
Rare is closer to Nintendo's artstyle more than anyone else in the industry.

This is both a compliment and a little playful jab directed at them.

Bizzyb

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Banjo bombed. I guess it's just the wrong platform for the game :(

A shame....

should've been on Wii

on 2nd thought...I think that game was just badly designed. Too much vehicle creation. No one wants to invest time doing all of that creating for a 5 second challenge.

markatisu

Cheesemeister said:
That's brilliant! How does EA come up wih this stuff? It'll sell millions.

And if it does not you can always blame Nintendo because Wii fit is taking all of its sales and we all know its impossible for a 3rd party to compete (unless you are Ubisoft, Sega, or Capcom)

jibblypop

Banned
Bizzyb said:
on 2nd thought...I think that game was just badly designed. Too much vehicle creation. No one wants to invest time doing all of that creating for a 5 second challenge.

It's tough to say why this game didn't sell more. Some people think it didn't sell because it's too colorful and cutesy for the xbox360 audience and other people insist it's because the game focused on vehicle customization instead of the traditional Banjo platforming.
It's impossible to know which one it is unless a traditional platformer was also released for a comparison.

I suspect it might be a little of both that was holding it back.

This kind of reminds me of when a mature-rated wii title doesn't sell and people try to figure out if it's because wii owners don't want mature games or because it simply wasnt as polished as a similar mature game on the HD consoles.

You can't possibly know the answer to either question until companies start putting more of those on both consoles.

MarkusRJR

Balb said:
Sorry to tell you, but there was loads of commercials for the game last holiday season. I remember asking myself, "God damn, when are they gonna stop playing this shitty commercial?"

Balb said:
Well I don't know about that. At 140k in sales doing a little worse would put it in negative territory :p.

It was advertised at least a little and production/distribution had to cost a decent amount. With those sales, at a discounted price, I wouldn't be surprised if Rare/MS were better off simply not releasing the game.

Vagabundo said:
I'd lol if Nintendo made a profit on the deal after the buy-back.
Didn't Nintendo sell Rare for somewhere between $300-500 million? If so there is no way if MS sold Rare back that Nintendo would lose money between the two deals.
Even $300 million is much greater than $0 after all :p

Bending_Unit_22 said:
Well I don't know about that. At 140k in sales doing a little worse would put it in negative territory :p.

It was advertised at least a little and production/distribution had to cost a decent amount. With those sales, at a discounted price, I wouldn't be surprised if Rare/MS were better off simply not releasing the game.

Didn't Nintendo sell Rare for somewhere between $300-500 million? If so there is no way if MS sold Rare back that Nintendo would lose money between the two deals.
Even $300 million is much greater than $0 after all :p

with the way ms has been firing staff, selling some studios and closing some down i'm starting to think the only reason they havent offloaded rare is to save face just imagine how embaressing would be for them to have bought rare for nearly $400million and then have to sell them a few years later for a fraction of that

gkryhewy

Yaceka said:
Sorry to tell you, but there was loads of commercials for the game last holiday season. I remember asking myself, "God damn, when are they gonna stop playing this shitty commercial?"

What the hell are you watching?

JKBii

I'm glad Nuts and Bolts failed and I hope Rare's next Banjo Kazooie game is a return to form instead of some unconventional stuff they threw Banjo's name on for marketing purposes. Or better yet, let Nintendo buy the franchise and make a good Banjo ThWii.

markatisu

gkrykewy said:
What the hell are you watching?

Probably the commericals that ran ad-naseum on Saturday morning and on Cartoon Network and Nick Toons.

This game was VERY heavily advertised (as were all the Viva Pinata games)

I think it would be interesting to see the sales comparison between Banjo XBLA and Nuts and Bolts.

jarrod said:
I honestly think game design hurt Banjo most. I wouldn't be surprised if Banjo XBLA sold more than 140k. :/

Banjo on XBLA has been in the top 10 ever since its release, whereas Banjo N&B failed to chart everywhere.

This is not that far fetched of a scenario.

markatisu said:
Probably the commericals that ran ad-naseum on Saturday morning and on Cartoon Network and Nick Toons.

This game was VERY heavily advertised (as were all the Viva Pinata games)

I think it would be interesting to see the sales comparison between Banjo XBLA and Nuts and Bolts.

Having a bunch of ads on programs reaching roughly one percent of Americans is not heavily advertising a game.

markatisu

bigtroyjon said:
Having a bunch of ads on programs reaching roughly one percent of Americans is not heavily advertising a game.

So where would you advertise then? Primetime???

Saturday morning on ABC, FOX and CW are just about some of the biggest audiences you can have for a video game that is not mature rated or adult.

The game was heavily advertised on basic cable which is a large majority of the country and where most other games are featured during different times of the day.

boiled goose

good with gravy
bigtroyjon said:

Banjo failed. Why?

it is of course a combination of reasons.
not a traditional banjo? less sales
360 audience? less sales
major reason? not close to being the big game for 360 this holiday.
way too many big games coming out in 3 months. same reason why pop bombed.
gears 2, cod waw, l4d, fallout, pop, fable 2, dead space, mirrors edge, rb2, ghwt, banjo, etc...
not enough money to go around...
i believe the game would have done better on a less cluttered period.

Cipherr

To many good games.

Yes its possible.

There were to many good games for Banjo to make it, period. So much freaking stuff packed onto the 360s release list for the last portion of the year, something had to give, and that something was banjo and TR for ps360.

markatisu said:
So where would you advertise then? Primetime???

Saturday morning on ABC, FOX and CW are just about some of the biggest audiences you can have for a video game that is not mature rated or adult.

The game was heavily advertised on basic cable which is a large majority of the country and where most other games are featured during different times of the day.

It was also heavily advertised on ESPN. I think I saw more ads for Banjo during November than any other game.

donny2112

The reason Banjo "failed" is that it wasn't on a Nintendo console.

Any other reason, while possibly a contributing factor, is going to pale next to the above reason.

Shiggy

So what to expect for January?
17l.jpg

18l.jpg

gkryhewy

Shiggy said:
So what to expect for January?
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/090130/img/slide/17l.jpg[/]
[IMG]http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/090130/img/slide/18l.jpg[/][/QUOTE]

I don't quite understand those charts. Are those weeks or quarters from 07/08? In the case of the Wii, it all comes down to shipments, obviously.

botticus

sionyboy said:
Did Nintendo just ruin part of the January prediction thread :eek:

/scribbles numbers down
December NPD went through January 5, so I'm working under the assumption that Week 1 09 was included in the 5-week December.

donny2112

botticus said:
December NPD went through January 5, so I'm working under the assumption that Week 1 09 was included in the 5-week December.

I'd go with that, as well. Looks like the major question marks for January NPD are now pretty much answered. :lol :D

Chumly

botticus said:
Theres no way that the January 2008 sales they are showing that the first week was the previous december. If you add up the sales they pretty much perfectly match January 2008 NPD.

botticus

Chumly said:
Theres no way that the January 2008 sales they are showing that the first week was the previous december. If you add up the sales they pretty much perfectly match January 2008 NPD.
Depends on how the weeks matched up with NPD last year compared to this year. If you look at their chart for Wii Fit, December W1-W4 + January W1 = 1 million, where December NPD was 999k.

Top Bottom