• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Sleeker

MightyHedgehog said:
Another YoY decrease for PS3 while X360 and Wii go up YoY. Not looking good. Wii still blows me away...and good for SFIV.

How can it be down year on year?
its cheaper now that it was 12 month ago

AColdDay

Stumpokapow said:

Nice.

Listen, I love Nintendo games, and I'll concede that there a few good third party efforts coming, but Wii fans are just simply never going to get something with the level of polish or depth of say Fallout 3 from a third party. The only company that you can (normally) count on for great polished games is Nintendo, but they would do that regardless of how well the system sold.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
SavethePS3.jpg

I have every last game as well and enjoyed most of them. I bought SF4 for the PS3 because I have a better arcade stick for it than I do the 360.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Wow PS3 needs to drop its price FAST. like today SONY ARE FKING LISTENING

I expect Killzone 2 to be one of the best selling PS3 games of all time at around 4Million when its all said and done despite all the dumb comments on this thread... Thats all that truly matters..

sphinx

the piano man
Damn.

No wonder NOA doesn't localize anything anymore, As long as people want Wiifit and see it as the very reason to buy the Wii, they don't need to bring anything over...

What a sad case of a market leader.... :/

[Nintex]

jred250 said:
Nice.

Listen, I love Nintendo games, and I'll concede that there a few good third party efforts coming, but Wii fans are just simply never going to get something with the level of polish or depth of say Fallout 3 from a third party. The only company that you can (normally) count on for great polished games is Nintendo, but they would do that regardless of how well the system sold.
:lol :lol

Gaborn

thuway said:
How could Sony not afford to bundle in games that they own- which are collecting dust on retail shelves- which they aren't advertising?

Because they still need whatever PROFIT they can make on it? Selling a few thousand of those games per month is better than giving them away?

Dropping the price by 50 dollars, including the second dual shock, and bundling the two (or three) games would solidify the Playstation 3 as a "value" proposal in the market, lend itself to better sell throughs of sequels, and give the games some sort of precedence.

Instead you market Resistance and Motorstorm 1 - yeah.

Again, you're removing things that Sony can use to generate a PROFIT, for a gain of what? Maybe possibly giving it a CHANCE of second place? Why would Sony give up making people pay for yet another controller, that's money they could definitely use right now. They're not exactly making a fortune per PS3 sold right now, and "adding value" is another way of saying "adding cost" on Sony's end.

AColdDay

thuway said:
How could Sony not afford to bundle in games that they own- which are collecting dust on retail shelves- which they aren't advertising?

Dropping the price by 50 dollars, including the second dual shock, and bundling the two (or three) games would solidify the Playstation 3 as a "value" proposal in the market, lend itself to better sell throughs of sequels, and give the games some sort of precedence.

Instead you market Resistance and Motorstorm 1 - yeah.

They are trying to maximize profits. They have to, the whole company is in pretty poor shape regardless of how the PS3 performs, so marketshare is too expensive. I don't know if anyone who isn't a marketing genius could turn the perception of the PS3 into a "value" system at it's current price, even with free bundled stuff. People would just wonder why they can't buy a cheaper PS3 without the bundled equipment.

Kevtones

jred250 said:
Nice.

No offense, but you don't get it.

I've pretty much given up hope on the PS3 ever achieving second place in the US. :lol I just like these threads for the animated gifs. The 360 has plenty of good games to keep the non-wii audience satisfied and it has the right price point to maintain this advantage for the foreseeable future. But if the PS3 can at least keep up with the 360 enough to warrant third party support, I'll be happy.

me = VERY satisfied PS3 owner when it comes to games.

DMeisterJ

Banned
sechsterangriff said:
Any JRPGs in HD consoles that didn't tanked? :(

WKC did better than every 360 JRPG in JP by a nice margin, iirc, so we'll have to see if that translates over to America/EU or not. But yeah, most have tanked, except for Lost Odyssey which apparently did good.

LoudNinja said:
Where the hell is TLR for the Ps3 anyway? :lol

Who the hell knows. Either dropped cause it tanked on 360, or on the way, to recoup the losses.

PistolGrip said:

I expect Killzone 2 to be one of the best selling PS3 games of all time at around 4Million when its all said and done despite all the dumb comments on this thread... Thats all that truly matters..

That's a bold prediction...

DMeisterJ

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
I've pretty much given up hope on the PS3 ever achieving second place in the US. :lol I just like these threads for the animated gifs. The 360 has plenty of good games to keep the non-wii audience satisfied and it has the right price point to maintain this advantage for the foreseeable future. But if the PS3 can at least keep up with the 360 enough to warrant third party support, I'll be happy.

me = VERY satisfied PS3 owner when it comes to games.

I don't think that anyone can be a dis-satisfied PS3 owner at this point in time, or anytime in the future. Though, this is sales-age, and PS3 owners can be disappointed by sales, which are, quite disappointing.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
speculawyer said:
She had to reach to find something nice to say for Sony.

Yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing much MLB 2K9. Let's just say I have a sinking feeling about it.

315ldep.gif
It will still sell well. It has no competition on the biggest platforms.

Agent X

Gold Member
Capcom kicked some serious butt with Street Fighter IV! It's an awesome game and I'm happy to see it's a sales success as well.

Killzone 2 did great for only two days of sales. (I didn't actually contribute to these sales, since I got mine a few days later.) It's also a great game that deserves to do well.

thuway said:
I'm really starting to believe Sony is completely cluster-fucked if they don't eliminate the politics and beauracratic bullshit.

The latest rumored PS3 bundle includes Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm.

Really Sony? REALLY? Use some common fucking sense. People will not purchase the system at that price with THOSE games. This is do or die time, either you bundle the system intelligently or you dig your hole deeper and deeper each month.

WHY THOSE GAMES? -- Why not Little Big Planet and Uncharted?

I agree. I love both Resistance: Fall of Man an MotorStorm (they're two of the first three PS3 games I bought), but they're old now and both have sequels which are already a few months old. Also, with R:FoM being an M-rated game, this might be a hard package to sell in some circles.

Although, I should say that if there's a noteworthy price drop along with the bundled games, then it would be a fine deal.

thuway said:
The smart Sony would have put a Little Big Planet, Uncharted, a second PS3 controller, and an Eye Toy - dropped the price by 50 dollars, and marketed the integration properly. Hey- until than, we will continue to see Star Trek gifs where we laugh.

That would be a tall order at this point in time. It would be a spectacular deal for sure, but unrealistic. They'd probably be fine with just LBP in the box and a $50 price drop. Perhaps they could also throw in vouchers for one or two downloadable games to raise awareness of the PlayStation Store.

Frillen

DMeisterJ said:
WKC did better than every 360 JRPG in JP by a nice margin, iirc, so we'll have to see if that translates over to America/EU or not. But yeah, most have tanked, except for Lost Odyssey which apparently did good.

The PS3 also has a 3X bigger userbase, but let's ignore that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Chukill said:
Please sells first days of halo 3 gears 1 and 2 mgs 4 gta IV etc.. for comparison. THX

Let's just say that KZ2 opened lower than all of these games. :)

Frillen said:
The PS3 also has a 3X bigger userbase, but let's ignore that.

Thank you for proving the point of the stupidity of SE. They completely ignored the 3x userbase lead the PS3 has, so should I do that too? :D

Gaborn

PistolGrip said:

What exactly does anyone expect dropping the price to tangibly gain Sony? I'm serious, I've been asking it and people just repeat it without actually explaining what the purpose would be. What, you think that would give Sony second place? You think that it would make Sony more money somehow? You just want some bragging rights? I mean... what?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
thuway said:
The latest rumored PS3 bundle includes Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm.

Really Sony? REALLY? Use some common fucking sense
Sony has already confirmed that's a limited time offer at Target stores only.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Sony has just bombed so hard this gen it's unbelievable. There's no way to spin these sorts of results into a convincing positive.

I hope KZ2 and MLB do well next month, they're both AAA games.

Gaborn said:
Because they still need whatever PROFIT they can make on it? Selling a few thousand of those games per month is better than giving them away?

Again, you're removing things that Sony can use to generate a PROFIT, for a gain of what? Maybe possibly giving it a CHANCE of second place? Why would Sony give up making people pay for yet another controller, that's money they could definitely use right now. They're not exactly making a fortune per PS3 sold right now, and "adding value" is another way of saying "adding cost" on Sony's end.

I'm going with Gaborn on this one. I think Sony should stay focused on maintaining steady, albeit relatively low, monthly sales until it can achieve profitability through consistent sales, cheaper manufacturing methods, and hopefully steady software sales. Sony know the projections they must meet in order to become profitable in the long term, and I bet if most of NPD-GAF saw them they'd laugh at its modesty. I'm not saying that Sony is aiming for low sales. Of course they want to be the sales leader, but they know that the current market conditions will not allow that. So hunker down, try to make a profit to stay alive and relevant with consumers, until your financial situation allows for more aggressive pricing and marketing schemes. I don't think time is Sony's enemy quite just yet.

Gaborn said:
What exactly does anyone expect dropping the price to tangibly gain Sony? I'm serious, I've been asking it and people just repeat it without actually explaining what the purpose would be. What, you think that would give Sony second place? You think that it would make Sony more money somehow? You just want some bragging rights? I mean... what?

Price drop means more systems sold, and inevitably more software sold. If the profits gained from additional software sold exceeds the losses of dropping the hardware price, it's an easy choice. Even if the delta isn't significant, it's always nice to have a larger install base for gif purposes.

Frillen

Does anyone dare predict next month's top 10 list?

1. Pokemon Platinum
2. Wii-Fit
3. Resident Evil 5 360
4. Halo Wars
5. Wii Play
6. Resident Evil 5 PS3
7. Killzone 2
8. GTA: Chinatown Wars
9. Mario Kart Wii
10. Call of Duty World at War 360

Gaborn

Valkyr Junkie said:
Price drop means more systems sold, and inevitably more software sold. If the profits gained from additional software sold exceeds the losses of dropping the hardware price, it's an easy choice. Even if the delta isn't significant, it's always nice to have a larger install base for gif purposes.

Agreed, THIS is the key, anything else is irrelevant. The fact that Sony is NOT doing this yet is probably a sign that their projections don't justify dropping the price significantly yet.

PartlyCloudlike - thank you, fully agreed :D

markatisu

Valkyr Junkie said:
Even if the delta isn't significant, it's always nice to have a larger install base for gif purposes.

Hey shareholders we have incurred much more in the way of losses but we have some awesome looking gifs now to share!

AColdDay

Gaborn said:

You make a great point, the point I was trying to make earlier is that regardless of how these systems placed it wouldn't really affect the landscape that much. If PS3 were in first place, Wii was a distant second and we spent every week laughing at the 360 it wouldn't mean that the games on each platform would be vastly different. 360 still would have gotten ME, FO3, Gears, Halo and Sony would of still gotten LBP, Resistence, etc. etc (Maybe might of kept FF13 exclusive). Wii probably would have less third party support, but its not like it is all that incredible to begin with. There would only be minor differences in the games received this generation, regardless of how these systems sold. This was never going to be a PS2 retread.

These are all companies worth billions of dollars with brilliant people at the helm. Financially Microsoft is doing fine, Nintendo is doing great, Sony could be better but is starting to make itself profitable.

Top Bottom