• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Sadist

speculawyer said:
315ldep.gif
That's the best elevator impression I've ever seen. ... ... :lol

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
dfyb said:
came true. i expected 200-300k and it fell in line with my expectations. hardly a failure. most people did NOT expect KZ2 to be a mega-seller -- it's just not a realistic expectation of any PS3 exclusive that isn't a mega-franchise.
but you never bothered to post this prediction, did you?

GhaleonEB

VALIS said:
Actually, considering the PS3's sales are down YOY, it had a hyped game in KZ2 coming out for it and their closest competitor saw a huge YOY bump, the PS3's numbers are pretty lousy. I would have thought that the one month they would've stopped the negative YOY trend would have been this one.
Everything is relative. Compared to the YoY drops they had been seeing, it's an improvement. But I'm expecting it to drop back down next month on that basis, unless there's a price cut.

DuckRacer

spwolf said:
those are pretty good numbers for PS3... because last year, it wasnt $200 more expensive than competition, and economy wasnt shit.

If not for SFIV and KZ2, PS3 hardware sales would be kick ass.
Uh, no, last February the PS3 was still $400. And the economy apparently hasn't hurt the 360 or Nintendo.

I don't know where you're going with that last sentence.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
jred250 said:
Do you really know something, or are you basing that on assumption?

Don't break my heart AniHawk, :(

Anihawk is a credible industry insider.

I'd trust him if I were you.

sangreal

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm really at a loss as to what the fuck Sony fans wee expecting from Killzone. I think 323K is pretty damn good considering.

Considering what? Install base? You had games like Dead Rising putting out bigger debut sales in the 360's first year.

For a 3rd party title the number would be respectable, but not for a tentpole AAA first party title.

[Nintex] said:
I guess I just want someone to take the battle to Nintendo or Sony to take the battle to Microsoft.

It seems that Nintendo is sitting idle again untill someone sniffs at their throne.

I disagree. I think Nintendo got caught flat footed expecting third parties to pick up the slack with the console, like what happened with the DS.

Chris R

KZ2 numbers don't surprise me one bit. Expect about the same, maybe 50-75k more this month, and another 100k over the rest of the year.

PS3 price drop pre-E3 anyone?

duk

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Looking at these sales, Sony should've pulled a Genesis.
Drop the price to $299 and bundle Killzone with every machine.
That's how SEGA managed to beat Nintendo back in the day(Sonic+Genesis combo).

I think they will pull a Xbox 1

AniHawk

jred250 said:

I don't know anything about HotD Overkill or the others, but I'll see if I can turn up something.

spwolf

SuperBonk said:
I'm just saying that if Sony was expecting it to be a smash it, then it was not a modest success. In order for it to be a success, it has to match or beat expectations. Whether it did that is entirely up for debate. But if you're saying it did not, I don't see how that can be called a success.

Sony was certainly expecting it to be smash hit. Now that depends on your definition, apperantly games that sell below 5 million are not considered smash hits these days (in gaf threads), so if we take that into consideration KZ2 will never become smashit.

I think most well thought predictions on gaf were around 2 million mark, and seems it will go beyond those numbers easily. That might not be good enough for you, but Sony will certainly make some money on it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
AniHawk said:
Where was QA on this one?
Again, 95% of the time bugs found in shipped products aren't because QA missed them, it's because the development team chose NOT to fix them.

And LOL at the Anihawking going on. Now we just need AstroLad.

AniHawk

XiaNaphryz said:
Again, 95% of the time bugs found in shipped products aren't because QA missed them, it's because the development team chose NOT to fix them.

I'm serious. I'll see if I can find anything for the guy. Jeez.

And it's just fun to blame all the testers. What are they gonna do about it? Nothing. That's what.

spwolf

DuckRacer said:
Uh, no, last February the PS3 was still $400. And the economy apparently hasn't hurt the 360 or Nintendo.

I don't know where you're going with that last sentence.

and how much was 360 last feb?

Slurmer

Banned
:lol So is this just a big GAF inside-joke I'm missing out on, or a continuation of the same old meme? I've never seen anyone on here say that KZ2 was going to push Sony back to the top or anything of the sort.

KZ2 itself was hyped, and people thought the game would sell better than it did, but nothing that would really warrant some of the comments in this thread

HylianTom

Banned
jred250 said:

Hate to say it, but I wouldn't doubt that he's right. It may not literally be the last M-rated game, but definitely an inflection point for the future of the console's library. :/

dreamer3kx said:
wow, 300+ in two days for KZ2, thats not good, thats great.

Not for a so-called killer app. KZ2 is not supposed to be just another game.

It can still have legs and sell consistently for months to come, but PS3 owners should be buying in droves the game upon its release. Not just kinda.

Mrbob

Was MLB2K9 out in Feb?

I thought it came out March 3rd with MLB 09 The Show so it would be in next months NPD.

I still can't get enough of that image though. :lol

spwolf

XiaNaphryz said:

you mean managment, right? Because dev team does not decide what gets fixed. Managers do.

[Nintex]

HylianTom said:
Hate to say it, but I wouldn't doubt that he's right. It may not literally be the last M-rated game, but definitely an inflection point for the future of the console's library.
House of the Dead sold pretty well in Europe, so that's a start.

Slurmer said:
:lol So is this just a big GAF inside-joke I'm missing out on, or a continuation of the same old meme? I've never seen anyone on here say that KZ2 was going to push Sony back to the top or anything of the sort.

KZ2 itself was hyped, and people thought the game would sell better than it did, but nothing that would really warrant some of the comments in this thread

Did you miss the Killzone Gif assault in the past few months? Not all things are said with words.

dfyb

Banned
Gadfly said:
but you never bothered to post this prediction, did you?
sales age doesn't really interest me much. i rarely post in the threads at all.

avg of GAF estimations was 415k -- a bit high, but expected since KZ2 only had two days on NPD and had so much hype behind it. you guessed like 800k, which is insane. there's no precedent for that (mega-franchises like MGS are an anomaly).

markatisu

[Nintex] said:

pretty well is an understatement, it has stayed in the charts longer than any previous light gun game and shows no signs of slowing (it even moved up in the UK charts this week)

[Nintex]

CHRP718 said:
Star Ocean Bomba Edition :lol :lol
Don't piss off Wada he might actually delay FFXIII untill 2014 if he hasn't already.

After all you can't release a new Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy in the same decade!

Johann

CrisKre said:
I agree with this. The amount of money sony must have poured into KZ2 development must be really really HUGE. How many years was it it took to complete again? The number are decent in nominal terms, just probably not for the budget this particular game had on reall terms.

I recall that it was officially €21 million (according to magazine interview way back in 2007) but the cost reported skyrocketed to twice that amount since Guerrilla Games had to undergo a lot of structural changes in order to handle a project of that size.

The hard lesson we are learning is that shooters are very dependent on the strength of the franchise. Despite the stiff competition in March, hopefully Killzone 2 does better next month.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Either I do not understand how the pre-orders work and are counted or I am right being a bit saddened by the a bit low first day sales for Killzone 2...

IMHO, the game is awesome (even in SP), easily worth the money you pay for it (without even touching MP), and is definitely a great exclusive for the PS3... PS3 SW sales were not flat during that month neither they were dominated by tons of high selling super AAA titles so there should have been more than enough headroom for KZ2 to reach more of their user-base...

Users tired of FPS games on PS3? It does not sound likely... bah...

AniHawk

[Nintex] said:

And House of the Dead 2 & 3 Returns did pretty well too. Most Wii games sell well over a long period of time. Stuff that hits the 360 and PS3, for the most part, shoot their load right away until a budget release comes out a few years later.

SuperBonk

spwolf said:
Sony was certainly expecting it to be smash hit. Now that depends on your definition, apperantly games that sell below 5 million are not considered smash hits these days (in gaf threads), so if we take that into consideration KZ2 will never become smashit.

I think most well thought predictions on gaf were around 2 million mark, and seems it will go beyond those numbers easily. That might not be good enough for you, but Sony will certainly make some money on it.
Oh, don't get me mixed up in all this. I'm just trying to rationalize other people's expectations.

AColdDay

Have we ever got some solid numbers on how much these games are supposed to cost to produce? I know that we get vague numbers like "X game cost more to make than this 20 million dollar movie, lol" but has anyone ever seen analyst figures on the average cost to produce on HD vs. SD vs. Handheld?

Looking at those KZ2 numbers, if it ends up selling 510k @59.99, than that is 30 million in revenue right there. I know that doesn't necessarily mean that it has made a profit or even broke even yet and that a sliver of that 59.99 goes to the retailers, but that is still a good bit of money.

spwolf

OuterWorldVoice said:
Wat? You think that corp execs are bug testing?

what are you talking about?
Dev team = programmers that do what they are told, and tasks that they are given.
Q&A = testers people who report issues
Managment = game producer/associate producer and senior managment who decide when the game should be shipping, which then of course includes balancing of what bugs they have time to fix before release, and what are going into the first patch.

Basically people who manage dev team decide what is priority and what is not. Actual coders might have some input, but usually decision is not theirs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DMeisterJ said:
Should have been multi-plat from jump.
Yeah. Seems pretty clear that sales in the west cannot make up for the dropoff of sales in the east. According to Media Create, the game is at 200k in JP and it's at less than 135k here, so let's just round it to 300k (not out in Europe yet).

I think all RPGs will have to be multiplatform now.

Top Bottom