• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Magik

AniHawk said:
The 360's starting to post numbers the PS2 used to back in its prime. If things hold up and the generation lasts another couple of years, it should do 30m-35m NA alone.

Yeah. As long as they keep the momentum going, this generation will be a very successful one for Microsoft.

Opiate

schuelma said:
Will that hold true on the PS3 thought?

We'll see, obviously, and I had considered this when answering. My response: even if Halo 3 does outsell GT5, I still would consider GT the larger franchise. We have GT 1-4 all outselling Halo 1-3, so it would take several iterations of Halo outselling several iterations of GT to convince me to give the crown to Halo.

MWS Natural said:
SavethePS3.jpg

Ouch. We get it, SONY isn't winning anything this generation.

Nevertheless, those are still good games. (Maybe not Lair or Heavenly Sword :lol )

Tom Penny

Keikoku said:
SF4 = awesomeness ! Very nice score for the PS3 version.

Killzone 2 failed though, decent sales but far from being a system seller...

People still believe in system sellers? Must be the lemmings.

joey_z

Banned
rexor0717 said:
I think people are overacting to the lack of PS3 sales being boosted by KZ2. Sony barely advertised the game before its release, so who is going to know about it. Its a mistake on their part. I've been seeing commercials recently, so lets wait for March.
I'm not saying the PS3 will steamroll people, but I think there will be some pick up in sales over last year at the very least.

Halo 2 had 1.5 million pre-orders on the Xbox. I think that's a good comparison given the situation of the respective consoles (in fact the PS3 HW numbers right now are probably higher compared to the Xbox HW number back then) and game hype. Saying Sony fucked up the marketing is an understatement.

TheFatOne

Shalashaska said:
Pretty sure Gran Tourismo will sell like crazy. God of War probably will too although I haven't followed the sales history of that one.

The thing is will Sony advertise the games. Both games are going to sell 1-2 mil easy but will they hit Halo numbers at this point I doubt it. It's a shame because Sony is releasing quality titles, and aren't marketing them at all.

womfalcs3

Banned
I'm certain if Killzone 2 had the time Street Fighter IV had during the month of data collection, it would have outsold it.

AniHawk

Magik said:
Yeah. As long as they keep the momentum going, this generation will be a very successful one for Microsoft.

The PS3's also not doing bad, really. Almost 300k in February for a $400 system is a nice number. And for once, there are two games that did pretty well on the system in a month. If things can keep up for that system, there's a chance it'll wind up around Xbox-N64 numbers (14-20m)

I'm guessing outside of the top ten, 360 and PS3 game sales remain low versus the competition.

Also, it probably wouldn't sell as well as the PS360 ports, and it would have really sucked, but there should have been a Wii/PSP version of Street Fighter IV.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
speculawyer said:
:lol

Well, the PS3 certainly has lots of great games now (excluding Lair,and Heavenly Sword, and Home, and GTA4 and MGS...(oh noes I didnt) from that list), but if anything will save it now, it is Blu-Ray. And even that is a long shot.

True fix

Aaron Strife said:
Jesus Christ why are the DS Marios still selling shit over fist you'd think everyone has played these games by now

Yeah, you'd almost think there were nearly 600,000 new DS owners that month who hadn't played them yet...

Aquanox

I'm not sure KZ2 will make nº1 next month either (All formats at least). With RE5 in the house and KZ2 minus its launch day.

Halo Wars could be close to it too.

harSon

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
IU and Last Remnant sold like shit (massive price drops within the first week of release ) - SO is a pretty popular IP in the US and it also got a relative big marketing push with tv commercial .....

I guess from now on there won't be any 360 exklusive SE RPG this gen anymore - it just doesn't make sense buisness wise

It has nothing to do with the 360, the fact that RPGs fail to sell well on the 360 has little to do with platform and more to do with the state of the genre within the USA. The entire genre is unpopular in the US outside of Final Fantasy and spinoffs of Final Fantasy (Kingdom Hearts), hell, the best selling JRPG in recent memory is Lost Odyssey and the similarities between both franchises are quite striking :lol Anime or disproportionately short character RPGs that are innocent and kid friendly are simply not going to sell here, it's going to take; a mature story, art that appeals to the west, and a sizable marketing budget to get anything to click with American audiences.

DMeisterJ said:
Did kz2 really do that bad? 300k in 2 days is fine to me.

Depends on the budget IMO.

Jostifer

joey_z said:
Halo 2 had 1.5 million pre-orders on the Xbox. I think that's a good comparison given the situation of the respective consoles (in fact the PS3 HW numbers right now are probably higher compared to the Xbox HW number back then) and game hype. Saying Sony fucked up the marketing is an understatement.

NPD KZ2 sales covers 2 days in the US.
Killzone 2 had 1.1million pre-orders (in Europe).
Killzone 1 sold the most in Europe (very unusual for fps games).

There will probably be some sales comment by Sony relatively soon, expect a couple of million.

Opiate

Shalashaska said:
Pretty sure Gran Tourismo will sell like crazy. God of War probably will too although I haven't followed the sales history of that one.

From what Sony told us (I don't have the links to this anymore, so please link if you find them) we know GoW1 hit 3 million, GoW passed 2 million (but no word on 3 million) and while there has never been any announcement, I would be shocked, based on sales, if GoW:CoO had passed 2 million. Thus, sales of the franchise look roughly like this:

GoW1: 3-4 million
GoW2: 2-3 million
GoW:CoO: 1-2 million

So not only is it a franchise that's been selling less every iteration, even at its peak it never even sold half as much as Halo 3 has. God of War is not in the ballpark of the major blockbusters a la Mario Platformers, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Halo, and Gran Turismo. The last Mario Party sold nearly as much as all of the God of Wars combined.

[Nintex]

Wow, SFIV truly is indestructable!

"But but... SFIV is too hardcore!"
"Capcom isn't making it casual friendly!"
"The Dualshock and 360 controller suck!"
"There are no sticks left, they dropped the ball!"

WHERE IS YOUR INDESTRUCTABLE GOD NOW!
2ika52f.jpg

And for the KZ2 fans, I'm sorry guys, but KZ2 will be stuck between RE5 PS3 and RE5 360 next month. CAPGOD FTW!

womfalcs3 said:
I'm certain if Killzone 2 had the time Street Fighter IV had during the month of data collection, it would have outsold it.

We'll certainly be able to see next month exactly how it fared. Over 300K is pretty good for a couple of days on the market but most big hardcore games are heavily frontloaded in sales so next month will tell the story.

markatisu

Narcosis said:
Some people are asking where SO4 is. Did anyone really expect a non-FF JRPG to chart in the top 10 of the nPDs against the likes of WiiFit and Call of Duty?

It got $$$$ in advertising, it should be somewhere in the Top 30

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Yeah, you'd almost think there were nearly 600,000 new DS owners that month who hadn't played them yet...
That excuse sucks since we know almost all of those "new" owners are just people replacing their broken DS units.

Narcosis

So I just read the updated OP, and the list of competition next NPD is gonna be interesting. can RE5's combined sales on PS3 and 360 beat Pokemon? It's epic I tell you, even more epic than 2 days of Killzone.

GhaleonEB

Magik said:
Getting a viable SKU to $200 is going to pay off bit time this year. I'm really still quite surprised at the numbers this month - it's tracking much better than last year.

PS3 numbers are not bad at all, actually. It just pales by comparison to the others.

AniHawk

Opiate said:
From what Sony told us (I don't have the links to this anymore, so please link if you find them) we know GoW1 hit 3 million, GoW passed 2 million (but no word on 3 million) and while there has never been any announcement, I would be shocked, based on sales, if GoW:CoO had passed 2 million. Thus, sales of the franchise look roughly like this:

GoW1: 3-3.5 million
GoW2: 2-2.5 million
GoW:CoO: 1-1.5 million

So not only is it a franchise that's been selling less every iteration, even at its peak it never even sold half as much as Halo 3 has. God of War is not in the ballpark of the major blockbusters a la Mario Platformers, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Halo, and Gran Turismo. The last Mario Party sold nearly as much as all of the God of Wars combined.

To defend the series a bit, GoW established the series, GoW 2 came out when the PS2 was waaaaaay on its way out (although the PS3 was struggling and there was still some backwards compatibility), and Chains of Olympus was on a system where nobody buys the games. GoW3 will be good for a very short boost in America.

markatisu

Fuzzy said:
That excuse sucks since we know almost all of those "new" owners are just people replacing their broken DS units.

So if we are using that excuse then what 3/4 of PS2 sales were replacing their DRE units?

Banned
Jostifer said:
NPD KZ2 sales covers 2 days in the US.
Killzone 2 had 1.1million pre-orders (in Europe).
Killzone 1 sold the most in Europe (very unusual for fps games).

There will probably be some sales comment by Sony relatively soon, expect a couple of million.

Retail pre-orders not customer pre-orders.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I had a dream similar to Captain Picard's, only in that dream Dragon Quest V DS outsold everything. :p

:(

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Wow @ Wii and DS.
The 360 had nice numbers too.
Ouch PS3 and K2. I remember when LBP launched, it was supposed to have really long legs, and coincidentally, it had 3 days of NPD, and next month it vanished.

And I don't know why people think K2 is over a million now. Remember last year MGS4 barely sold a million in the USA. I predict K2 will not be in the top 20 next month.

Also to the question of why the Wii is selling, see the software charts; Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart.

Grecco said:
SF better than expected.

MKDS/NSMB on top 10 lists in 2009. Jesus.

and KZ underwhelms. Sony has themselves to blame. They dropped the ball on the advertisement on that game.
Dude it came out on Feb 27th and there are 28 days in February.

Also, holy shit at how close the SF4 numbers were.

Opiate

AniHawk said:
To defend the series a bit, GoW established the series, GoW 2 came out when the PS2 was waaaaaay on its way out (although the PS3 was struggling and there was still some backwards compatibility), and Chains of Olympus was on a system where nobody buys the games. GoW3 will be good for a very short boost in America.

We'll see: there are always excuses, so I tend to stick to the hard numbers. For example, it's entirely possible it will sell even worse, and people will reasonably point to the fact that the PS2 had a much larger install base so obviously it would sell worse. If it sells better, people will point ot the things you've just listed. Let's just stick to hard numbers, imo.

Aaron Strife said:
Jesus Christ why are the DS Marios still selling shit over fist you'd think everyone has played these games by now

There were 588,000 new DS owners last month in America alone. It makes sense that a sizable amount of those new DS owners would gravitate to a known commodity like Mario Bros. or Mario Kart. I'll also point out that those games were never "flavor of the month" properties and they are every bit as appealing today as they were when they were originally released. Finally, keep in mind that the DS userbase is ridiculously large. As impressive as the sales of New Super Mario Bros. have been, four out of five DS owners still don't have the game.

starsky

Mama Robotnik is full of awesome.

And Nintendo is really really crazy :D

Unexpectedly good 360 sales

Decent PS3 number

Top Bottom