• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Aquanox said:
I'm not sure KZ2 will make nº1 next month either

Haha, it won't be close. It'll be lucky to be top 5 I think.

But I think it should do decent numbers on top of Feb's decent numbers. If they didn't split it across two NPD reporting periods it'd probably have charted higher than SFIV, I think, and satisfied more sales-agers, but the end result for Sony wouldn't be any different really, having two decent months instead of one brilliant month.

[Nintex]

Tom Penny said:
How come the X360 version of SF did not trounch the PS3 sales. That is usually how it goes with multiplatform games.
Shitty D-pad, that's an even bigger design flaw than the RROD.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
markatisu said:
So if we are using that excuse then what 3/4 of PS2 sales were replacing their DRE units?
And the other 1/4 were people who thought the box said PS3 and were getting a great deal.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Loudninja said:
Are you serious?
In terms of being a purported system seller based on the Feb numbers, sure. Which is what the context of the post was made to begin with.

And yes, the crazies who were posting "X will push hw sales!1!" have died down recently, but quite early on when it was much more frequent KZ2 was definitely being used in that context, usually alongside FFXIII as this was before "the great betrayal" or whatever.

Loudninja

manueldelalas said:
Wow @ Wii and DS.
The 360 had nice numbers too.
Ouch PS3 and K2. I remember when LBP launched, it was supposed to have really long legs, and coincidentally, it had 3 days of NPD, and next month it vanished.

And I don't know why people think K2 is over a million now. Remember last year MGS4 barely sold a million in the USA. I predict K2 will not be in the top 20 next month.

Also to the question of why the Wii is selling, see the software charts; Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart.

:lol that is BS

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
manueldelalas said:
And I don't know why people think K2 is over a million now. Remember last year MGS4 barely sold a million in the USA. I predict K2 will not be in the top 20 next month.
What? MGS4 sold nearly 800k alone in one month, and that didn't include the bundled pack-in PS3 sales.

Wait why did I think there was a huge number of KZ2 preorders?

Did the buzz on GAF fool me into thinking there was buzz among the general gaming populace?

I thought it was going to be this huge deal. The two days thing is irrelevant, I'm not saying it won't have legs. I just thought there were massive pre-orders based on buzz...

rexor0717

joey_z said:
Halo 2 had 1.5 million pre-orders on the Xbox. I think that's a good comparison given the situation of the respective consoles (in fact the PS3 HW numbers right now are probably higher compared to the Xbox HW number back then) and game hype. Saying Sony fucked up the marketing is an understatement.
Sony fucking up marketing is a given. I would like to see just one game where they actually do it right.

Blame! said:
ps3 price cut incoming by E3 almost guaranteed.

sony needs to do SOMETHING.

honestly, i think 275k is not bad. like someone else said, it just looks bad in comparison to 360 and Wii. I think all consoles performed well this month. I mean, seriously, considering the economy, this is downright surprising to me.

Aquanox

I see a lot of red from Sony.

NewPicture.jpg

[Nintex]

gofreak said:
Haha, it won't be close. It'll be luck to be top 5 I think.

But I think it should do decent numbers on top of Feb's decent numbers. If they didn't split it across two NPD reporting periods it'd probably have charted higher than SFIV, I think, and satisfied more sales-agers, but the end result for Sony wouldn't be any different really, having two decent months instead of one brilliant month.
With the continued sales of:
SFIV
Cod:WaW
WiiFit
Mario Kart Wii

and the release of:
Pokemon Platinum(this'll just nuke everything)
Resident Evil 5
Halo Wars
GTA: Chinatown Wars

I doubt it'll hit the top 10 at all.

lockload

DMeisterJ said:
Did kz2 really do that bad? 300k in 2 days is fine to me.

Depends what you compare it to.. if you use comparing to competition 300k would have been sold in 10 seconds, 2million in 24 hours

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow. Capcom am gods. SF IV opened beautifully! And close. Did it really have that much to do with the D pad? Will RE 5 open higher?

And yes, PS3 sales are bad... But I don't think that KZ2 is horribly. If it manages 300k+ next month, I'll consider it really good, would that be a safe assumption?

zewone said:
I'm really surprised at how close the PS3/360 SFIV sales are.

I don't see what's so surprising about this.

- Simultaneous Release
- "Hardcore Game" (Most PS3 owners that regularly buy games at this point are "Hardcore" due to the price)
- High-Crossover Console Ownership for PS3 Owners
- Superior Stock D-pad on PS3
- Free Online on PS3 for a very multi-centric game

If you look at these points it's no surprise that the PS3 version performed strongly. Why did it still lose?

- PS3's Much Smaller Userbase

If the userbases were the same size, then the PS3 version would have run away with it. But they aren't, and likely never will.

The only question in my mind is: which single factor was the one that swayed so many multi-owners to go PS3 for this title? Was it the d-pad or the free online? If it was the former then that doesn't help Sony much in the big picture since the D-Pad is not the focus in most modern games. If it was the latter then we may be seeing a shift that may ultimately result in MS re-evaluating LIVE's price structure.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Rlan said:
Obvious "Where are they on the NPD?" games for the month:

House Of The Dead OverKill
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection
FEAR 2
Loco Roco 2
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?
50 Cent Blood On The Sand
Dead Rising CTYD
I was hoping that HOTD might sneak in to the top ten, there was some precedence with the UK, and it got an ad or two here and there. I'm interested to find out if it made the top 30.

firex

DevelopmentArrested said:
Let's talk about the elephant in the room and why it didn't chart..

loco roco 2
too racist for the psp base, despite sony's ad attempts a few years ago?

joey_z

Banned
Zen said:
300k in 2 days morons.

If you're going to call me out for trolling at least support your statement and not edit it out. It's like slapping me with your hate cock and then acting like nothing happened.

VALIS

GhaleonEB said:
PS3 numbers are not bad at all, actually. It just pales by comparison to the others.

Actually, considering the PS3's sales are down YOY, it had a hyped game in KZ2 coming out for it and their closest competitor saw a huge YOY bump, the PS3's numbers are pretty lousy. I would have thought that the one month they would've stopped the negative YOY trend would have been this one.

Fine, it was 2 days, but I can't envision any scenario where Sony aren't disappointed with KZ2's sales. This was the most hyped game in PS3 history. Granted, the marketing sucked, but unless it does double that in March - which it won't - it will have underperformed. Shame too, b/c I think it's a great game.

Barrett2

While the whiny KZ2 kidz defend their ok numbers, I think i'll go buy that Balrog DLC and get a little IN-DE-STRUCTIBLE up in this! :D

Gaborn

Blame! said:
ps3 price cut incoming by E3 almost guaranteed.

sony needs to do SOMETHING.

Why though? What benefit will they gain? More sales? So what? Right now Sony has to make a really simple calculation: Will they make more money by cutting the price and getting more sales (and potentially more software and other things) but be willing to absorb the greater loss on hardware, or can they continue to endure more modest growth?

Sony can't run itself like a fan on a message board might like, it's not about e-penis for them, it's a cold hard financial calculation. They can't let it get TOO far out of hand without making developers even more restless, but they can't also let developers influence them to the point that they harm their fiscal solvency, Sony at this point should be in it for the money and worrying about their war chest for next gen.

CrisKre

Fine, it was 2 days, but I can't envision any scenario where Sony aren't disappointed with KZ2's sales. This was the most hyped game in PS3 history. Granted, the marketing sucked, but unless it does double that in March - which it won't - it will have underperformed. Shame too, b/c I think it's a great game.

I agree with this. The amount of money sony must have poured into KZ2 development must be really really HUGE. How many years was it it took to complete again? The number are decent in nominal terms, just probably not for the budget this particular game had on reall terms.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
[Nintex] said:
SFIV
WiiFit
Mario Kart Wii

and the release of:
Resident Evil 5
Halo Wars

Yeah, that's quite possible. I think it should pass 500k LTD next month, though (it probably has by now even).

Added to Europe's sales, manueldelalas, and I would hazard to guess it's popped over 1m globally already..I wouldn't be very surprised to see if it's done better in europe than na. I'm not sure what's quite so unbelievable about it passing 1m by now.

inner-G

Banned
[Nintex] said:
SFIV
WiiFit
Mario Kart Wii

and the release of:
Resident Evil 5
Halo Wars

Naruto Shippuuden comes out for PS2 also. I dunno if it sells here, but it's a popular ip.

____

somuchwater said:

Are you under the impression that these are worldwide sales?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
billy.sea said:
PS3 did pretty well, but I can see everything dropping back to the usuals next month.
Selling 2% less compared to last Feb is "doing pretty well" when the competition saw a considerable increase in comparison?

raYne

Loudninja said:
:lol that is BS

Oct:

Top 10 SW
Publisher Release Date Rank # Units
360 FABLE II MICROSOFT (CORP) Oct-08 1 790K
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD NINTENDO OF AMERICA May-08 2 487K
360 FALLOUT 3 BETHESDA SOFTWORKS Oct-08 3 375K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 4 290K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA Feb-07 5 282K
360 SAINTS ROW 2 THQ (CORP) Oct-08 6 270K
PS3 SOCOM: U.S. NAVY SEALS CONFRONTATION SONY (CORP) Oct-08 7 231K
PS3 LITTLE BIG PLANET SONY (CORP) Oct-08 8 215K
360 NBA 2K9 TAKE 2 INTERACTIVE (CORP) Oct-08 9 202K
360 DEAD SPACE ELECTRONIC ARTS Oct-08 10 193K

Nov:
1 GEARS OF WAR 2* (360) 1.56 million
2 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR* (360) 1.41 million
3 WII PLAY W/ REMOTE (WII) 796K
4 WII FIT (WII) 697K
5 MARIO KART (WII) 637K
6 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR (PS3) 597K
7 GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR* (WII) 475K
8 LEFT 4 DEAD (360) 410K
9 RESISTANCE 2* (PS3) 385K
10 WII MUSIC (WII) 297K

11 Animal Crossing: City Folk (Wii)
12 Fallout 3 (Xbox 360)
13 Rock Band (Wii)
14 Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (DS)
15 Guitar Hero World Tour (Xbox 360)
16 Mario Kart (DS)
17 Guitar Hero World Tour (PS2)
18 WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2009 (PS2)
19 Fable II (Xbox 360)
20 Madden NFL 09 (Xbox 360)

Dec:
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.46M
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 1.33M*
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 999K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 878K
WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR 859K*
360 GEARS OF WAR 2 745K*
360 LEFT 4 DEAD 629K
NDS MARIO KART 540K
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 533K
WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK 497K*

Is it?

jonabbey

Sony sold more software in the top ten than the 360, at least, but I guess I'd expect the top twenty list to show a different result.

spwolf

Aquanox said:
I see a lot of red from Sony.

NewPicture.jpg

those are pretty good numbers for PS3... because last year, it wasnt $200 more expensive than competition, and economy wasnt shit.

If not for SFIV and KZ2, PS3 hardware sales would be kick ass.

Amir0x said:
Go Microsoft. Keep the HD generation flame going, I neeed your love :D
Fuck yeah. MSFT is the HD console savior. HD gaming is all but dead in Japan right now. And it is probably a bit slower on the uptake in Europe due to higher prices.

SuperBonk

spwolf said:
those are pretty good numbers for PS3... because last year, it wasnt $200 more expensive than competition, and economy wasnt shit.

If not for SFIV and KZ2, PS3 hardware sales would be kick ass.
What? Are you saying PS3 hardware would be better if SFIV and KZ2 weren't released this month?

____ said:
Are you under the impression that these are worldwide sales?

I don't see that how changes anything. There are - what? - 7 million PS3's in the U.S., and less than 5% of owners bought the most anticipated game on the platform ever? Sony were clearly counting on KZ2 to be a 'smash hit'. Right now, it's merely a modest success. That's a disappointment, regardless of how you spin it.

Top Bottom